• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

tuxfool

Banned
NzT6iT8.png

There you go

Truant

Fine, I get it. You want a shared world Star Wars game or whatever. I don't care.

But don't fucking shut down Visceral. Give them something else to do.

novenD

Player Agency = Lootboxes.

Yet another reminder that EA is trash. Hopefully the staff get moved around internally vs being straight laid off.

VeeP

EA come fucking on. Why not let VV release their project first and not retool it to some Games as a fucking service loot box battle royale online required bullshit?

Jesus fucking Christ... hopefully the amazing and talented folks at Visceral land on their feet. Think I’ll fire up Dead Space tonight.

Todd Stashwick, who is the co-writer of Visceral’s Star Wars game, echoed Hennig’s sentiments in his own tweet. “It’s their time,” Stashwick said of DICE and Motive’s Battlefront 2. “We will have our day in the twin suns

....Well looks like they won't. And a damn shame given Visceral's previous pedigree

Shredderi

So basically it was going to be a AAA-singleplayer game and they canned it in it's current form and are going all in on GAAS shit on it? But here's the question: why the fuck didn't they just let Visceral work it into their new no-doubt-shit direction? But yeah, this is why the EA meme pic exists.

Voidwolf

Jeez.. It really sounds like they're scrapping the Star Wars games and making something else with what they had so far. Star Wars games just can't catch a break. EA has had this license for several years now and only produced two Battlefronts. Giving them full rights to make Star Wars games and not letting other publishers and developers in on it was such a huge mistake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shame. I loved the Dead Space games, except for DS3 which let me down in some ways.

So... I guess it's going to be a really long time before we see any Star Wars game focused on single player. EA isn't interested.

mdubs

Banned
What the hell? RIP Star Wars x Uncharted and now we get some games as a service title instead? Jesus no. Poor Amy.

Jason on twitter was saying he had been hearing this game was in trouble for a while now. Seems like that two games in a row (Uncharted 4 and now this Star Wars game) that Amy Henning has had some trouble getting on track. Very sad to hear this.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just a reminder to everyone that EA already forced microtransactions in a linear single player/coop game back in 2013 with Dead Space 3

MUnited83

For you.
We took feedback from players and instead of Star Wars Uncharted we learned they wanted Star Wars slot machine Idolmaster dark souls dress up pubg of duty. Please look forward to it.

to be fair, that does sound much better than Star Wars Uncharted.

So basically it was going to be a AAA-singleplayer game and they canned it in it's current form and are going all in on GAAS shit on it? But here's the question: why the fuck didn't they just let Visceral work it into their new no-doubt-shit direction? But yeah, this is why the EA meme pic exists.

All of that is my takeaway as well. :/

Videad

Neo Member
RIP Dead Space

I feel sad... I hope Codecow and all the team were well

Dead Space is a very special game for me, that saga has an important meaning in a special moment in my life...

I send all my support to all the team of Visceral Games

Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.
Get ready for a GaaS Lootcrate filled Destiny/Division competitor.

The age of third party story driven singleplayer games is coming to an end.

J-Skee

Amy Hennig can't buy a win right now. Damn. WTF, EA?

This all sounds like some "we see loot boxes in single player games, so loot boxes it is" type shit to me. Knowing Amy, she most likely wanted to keep some integrity in the game, but of course, "the industry is shifting".

Top Bottom