• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Tizoc

ibec45b5DHsFT9.gif

Developer: Sumo Digital
Publisher: SEGA
Platforms: Playstation 3, X-box 360, WiiU, 3DS, Vita and PC/Steam
Release dates for consoles: Game is currently available for the PS3, X-box 360 and WiiU. Steam release date TBA
Release dates for Vita: 11~18 December 2012 (Available on EU PSN for 35 Pounds)
Release date for 3DS: Feb. 2013
No. of players: WiiU allows for up to 5 players to play together offline, whereas PS3 and 360 allow for up to 4 players offline.
Music by Richard Jacques
Pricing: The game is going for $40 or 30 Pounds and equivalent as a retail price. The game can also be purchsed digitally off of EU PSN and WiiU

For those that are getting the WiiU version, UPDATE TO VER. 1.1.1, which is out now

Introduction:
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the sequel to 2010's Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing. The game has over 20 playable characters, and each character has their own vehicle which can transform into an aircraft or speedboat, hence the title. The game's single player mode has been expanded on from the first game, and now 4 players can play together in the main Campaign/Grand Prix.

The cast
The following are the playable characters:
Sonic the Hedgehog series: Sonic the Hedgehog, Amy Rose, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Dr. Eggman, Knuckles the Echidna, Shadow the Hedgehog
Super Monkey Ball series: AiAi, MeeMee
Samba de Amigo: Amigo
Jet Set Radio series: Beat, Gum
Crazy Taxi series: B. D. Joe
Golden Axe series: Gilius Thunderhead
Skies of Arcadia: Vyse
Shinobi series: Joe Musashi (main character in the 80s and 90s games)
Space Channel 5 series: Ulala, Pudding
NiGHTS into DREAMS... Nightopian & Nights, Nightmaren & Reala
Wreck it Ralph: Ralph
Real life: Danica Patrick
Alex Kidd series: Alex Kidd (Unlocked on 25th December)
Original Generation: AGES

Console Exclusive characters
Nintendo: Mii
X-box 360: Avatar
PC/Steam:
Pyro, Heavy & Spy from the Team Fortress series, Shogun from Total War series, Manager from Football Manager series (data found in 360 discs, but are Steam exclusive)

DLC characters
Metal Sonic

Stages/tracks
The following are the list of tracks available in the game. There are 16 new tracks and 4 returning from the first game:

TSSZ said:
1. Ocean View (Sonic Heroes)
2. Samba Studios (Samba De Amigo)
3. Carrier Zone (After Burner)
4. Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon)

1, Temple Trouble (Super Monkey Ball)
2. Galactic Parade (Sonic Colors?)
3. Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi)
4. Rouge’s Landing (Skies of Arcadia)

1. Dream Valley (Nights)
2. Chilly Castle (Billy Hatcher)
3. Graffiti City (Jet Set Radio)
4. Sanctuary Falls (Sonic & Knuckles)

1. Graveyard Gig (House of the Dead)
2. Adder’s Lair (Golden Axe)
3. Burning Depths (Burning Rangers)
4. Race of Ages (Sega Tribute Level)

From Sonic & All-Stars Racing:
1. Sunshine Tour (Samba De Amigo)
2. Shibuya Downtown (Jet Set Radio)
3. Roulette Road (Sonic Heroes)
4. Egg Hangar (Sonic 2/Sonic 3)
Source

DLC Tracks
Outrun Bay

The Campaign modes
As stated in the introduction, up to four players can play together to complete the game's main campaign modes, thus increasing your chances of victory. The main modes are World Tour, where you select a stage from the 'map' and complete a challenge in it. The challenge can range from a regular race, to a drifting challenge, Boost challenge or even play a regular race where items are removed and more boost pads are added. Each stage is made up of 4 difficulties, completing a difficulty earns you a Star with which you can unlock characters with. Unfortunately, unlocking all characters would require you to play on the hardest difficulties to earn enough stars to unlcok the last ones, but in the end it'll be worth it.

The other main mode is Grand Prix, which is similar to the first game's GP, in which you race on a set of 4 stages to win a Cup. Pretty self explainatory, but since you can now play with 3 other players, the fun has been, as they say 'quadrupled'.
A major change from the previous game is that the difficulty has been upped a great notch. Easy is do-able but Medium and Hard will give you nightmares.
As far as World Tour mode is concerned, it is possible to complete some of the challenges on Hard or Expert the first time so long as you memorize the path.

It is possible for up to 4 offline players to play with others in the online modes, PC ver. will also have online

Mods
A new addition to the game is mods, these are unlocked as you level up a character and a few are unlocked in World Tour mode. Mods alter the base stats of the character you're playing with, so with Sonic for example, you could decreate his Speed a little to improve his Handling or Turbo Boost.

Gameplay videos
Here are some vids on YT that showcase the game's contents:
1st 8 minutes of the game
More footage from the game and the stages can be found here

Images courtesy of Dusk Golem & Kokonoe
sasrtmodes.png

sasrtbattlearenas.png

iQ7VITGWwL9rV.jpg

iIvvi1hCkGbZ0.jpg

i6SxasfYpUThq.jpg

iL2TvEDcjdWIK.jpg

igxTpwYCjEqIW.jpg

i8FBYaoLkrfps.jpg

Thanks to:
TSSZNews.com
Everybody who has stuck with this game over the past few months
S0L for providing feedback whenever he can
Het_Nkik for the OT subtitle ;3
Dusk Golem for posting images of the online mode
Kokonoe for the awesome banner and images ;D

Bugs and glitches
Here I'll list the bugs and and any issues players have noticed while playing the game. So far some issues have been resolved with a recently released update patch, and hopefully any remaining problems will be cleared up in the near future.
PS3
1- Nights Track, The transformation from boat to plane at the end of the lap often flings you into the nearby cliff for no reasons
2- Graffiti City is just a bit flawed on the whole, I can't outright nail any specific issues but i've had some of the games more problematic moments here and floated off into the air once because I took a jump but hit a bit of wall before landing.
3- Burning Depths small green ramp, seems to sometimes have you go straight into an invisible wall when trying to head over it.
4- Adder's Lair, clipping the ceiling of either Adder Mouth, can be averted by easing on the acceleration but the CPU seem to be fine blitzing through at full speed here, what's the deal? hit detection in general can seem a bit iffy at times.
The following is notice-able on 360 and PS3 versions.
1) Going too fast on the ramp into the snake's head in Adder's Lair results in you hitting the roof of the snake's throat, and stopping dead. As mentioned above, this can be avoided by slowing down a bit, but the AI doesn't slow down, and we shouldn't have to compromise our speed to account for a flaw in the track design. This could easily be fixed by removing collision detection from that area.

2) During online races, there are times when the computer can bump you, and you're rammed so hard, it stops you completely.

3) I haven't played Matchmaking yet, but a friend told me that they played a few games, and came first place in several, yet the results showed that they came last. That might just be a problem with their connection though. However, I was in a private lobby yesterday, and the results screen showed everybody as having a finishing time of exactly 1 minute (the ranking order was correct though).

4) Exiting the Nightmare sections of Dream Valley can sometimes shove you to the left or right when transforming into a boat.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have great expectations for this title as the last one was my favorite Kart Racer ever.
Can't wait for it to be released!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Have the PS3 version ordered, but I'll probably hold off on playing it until I get the Vita copy (I have three Vita copies coming for myself and as timely gifts). Racing games are simply perfect for handhelds.

As for the roster: I really would've preferred Amiga or Linda to the Pudding colour swap.

Tizoc

Awesome. May I suggest a few gameplay screenshots in the OP?

Hmm yeah that's a good idea.
Actually there should be some gameplay footage I quote link to from TSSZ, better to see it in motion and listen to the game's bossin' soundtrack I think ;3

MicH

I absolutely can't wait for this, but I decided to get the Wii U version, so I have to wait till Nov 30 :(

Prinny

I'll be getting this and NSMBU with my WiiU. Only 4 days left, yay!

Is there any item similar to the tanooki tail?

J@hranimo

Banned
I hope this game does well across all platforms so they can support this game with decent DLC. So much potential...

Anyone getting this on 360? I will.

I hope this game does well across all platforms so they can support this game with decent DLC. So much potential...

Anyone getting this on 360? I will.

Most likely. I was trying to convince my daughter to ask for the Wii U version instead so we could play splitscreen across the controller and TV, but she's far more interested in playing online against her school friends. I wish they'd release a console demo early so we could see if the framerate was an issue on PS3/360.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't believe how cheap this is on Wii U on amazon, preordered! Great price point for a launch game.

agreed. Plus I didn't realise it was being done by Sumo. So now its a day one (preordered) alongside NSMBU.

Sorry ZombiU, you were so close but almost twice as expensive.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As I was saying in another thread just a little bit ago, been working out music tracks. Will try to do more later if no one else has cracked them, but so far I've spotted these songs remixed:

Ocean View (Sonic Heroes)-
Stage Intro Theme: You Can Do Anything Toot Toot Sonic Warrior (Sonic CD)
Main Stage Theme: You Can Do Anything Toot Toot Sonic Warrior (Sonic CD) [DIFFERENT REMIX THAN INTRO]
Special Stage Theme: Super Sonic Racing (Sonic R)

Sanctuary Falls (Sonic & Knuckles)-
Stage Intro Theme: Sonic 3 & Knuckles Title Screen (Sonic the Hedgehog 3)
Main Stage Theme: Sky Sanctuary (Sonic & Knuckles)
Special Stage Theme: Back in Time (Sonic R)

Galactic Parade (Sonic Colors)-
Stage Intro Theme: Starlight Carnival Map Theme (Sonic Colors)
Car Stage Theme: Starlight Carnival Act 2 (Sonic Colors)
Flight Stage Theme: Starlight Carnival Act 4 (Sonic Colors)

Chily Castle (Billy Hatcher)-
Stage Intro Theme: Village at Night (Billy Hatcher)
Main Stage Theme: Forest Village Day Second Day (Billy Hatcher)
Special Stage Theme: Boss Theme (Billy Hatcher)

Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon)-
Stage Intro Theme: Panzer Dragoon Title Screen (Panzer Dragoon)
Car Stage Theme: Flight - Stage 1 (Panzer Dragoon
Boat Stage Theme: Stage 3 (Panzer Dragoon)
Flight Stage Theme: ??? [Can't Identify]

Temple Trouble (Super Monkey Ball)-
Stage Intro Theme: ??? [Can't Identify]
Car Stage Theme: Monkey Island (Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz)
Boat Stage Theme: Jungle Theme (Super Monkey Ball 1)

Rogue's Landing (Skies of Arcadia)-
Stage Intro Theme: ??? [Can't Identify]
'Upperhand' Stage Theme: Vyse's Theme (Skies of Arcadia)
'Under Attack' Stage Theme: Battle Theme 1 (Skies of Arcadia)

Dream Valley (NiGHTS into Dreams)-
Stage Intro Theme: Dream Dreams (NiGHTS into Dreams)
'Dream' Stage Theme: Paternal Horn (NiGHTS into Dreams)
'Nightmare' Stage Theme: Reala's Theme (NiGHTS into Dreams)

Graveyard Gig (House of the Dead)
Stage Intro Theme: Intro Theme (House of the Dead)
Main Stage Theme: Aura of the Dead (House of the Dead)
Special Stage Theme: (think just another version of Aura of the Dead)

Burning Depths (Burning Rangers)
Stage Intro Theme: Request for an Immediate Rescue (Burning Rangers)
Main Stage Theme: We are Burning Rangers (Burning Rangers)
Special Stage Theme: (think just another version of We are Burning Rangers)

Death Egg Hanger (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Uses Different Remixes of Cosmic Fall (Shadow the Hedgehog) for all of its music

I also love how much more personalized each of the stages are. Little details that don't detract anything from people not familiar with the franchise but mean a lot to people who love the franchises. I feel the fanservice in the stages is MUCH better this time around than in the last game.

A few of my personal favorite fan service touches so far:

-Galactic Parade is full of them, but if I had to name my top two it would definitely go to the bit where suddenly Aero Chasers appear on the field and starts shooting lasers down isles, and when on the final lap the giant ship appears out of nowhere like it does in that one stage in Colors and interrupts the track, leading to you racing through the ship.

-Burning Depths makes a lot of subtle references to Burning Rangers, but I adore the inclusion of Chris being your navigator and updating you on the status of the facility as things like flooding and fire outbreaks occur.

-Dream Valley breaking into different nightmares each time you enter was a very nice touch! And I love the final one where Wizeman has you in a realm of utter darkness with all of this chaos flying around as he barks at you that you can't win, you will never escape, and the likes as you try to make your way to the gate out.

-Having all of those classic House of the Dead bosses in the Graveyard Gig level is huge fanservice to me, though to be honest I'm a bit surprised how some of their designs can get by with the game's rating intact. XD; Not that I'm complaining. Also having each lap build up to Zombiko and Zombia's wedding and having them kiss at the end is cute~

There's more, but all I wanted to comment on for now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Given what we've discovered about the PC sku, my curiosity about the hidden characters in the other versions is sky high.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cannot wait for the Wii U version.

Goddamn this fucking OT. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. Now I have that fucking song stuck in my head.

Last time I had this song stuck in my head, it took weeks to leave.

Goddamn you.

This game looks amazing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Still playing NFS/Forza Horizon/Wipeout 2048 but when I'm done with all of that I'll be very excited for this.

Hope the vita version is good!

LOVED the last one. Thought it was better than any Mario Kart I've ever played.

Emitan

Buying this on Wii U but I'm wondering if the PC version doesn't have online again. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Oneself

Some retailers are already selling the game...

Bought mine a couple of minutes ago (PS3 "bonus" version). Blindbuy FTW!!
I'll post my impressions when I get home...

*I'm in Québec, Canada BTW...

feck it, ordered it again, the first game was just so good I can't miss this launch even if poor Ristar got the stick and forced to be flagman.

I got so much to play, last game for me for a long time now.

JazzmanZ

aww my OT title didn't win.

I'll be picking up the Wii U edition this christmas through, looks pretty good from the live streams of the game.

I just wish Billy Hatcher didn't get axed :(

edit: by the way, you forgot to add the Mii and Avatars into the cast list, since they're returning.

KrawlMan

I think the release dates are mixed up.

Certainly hope so.

Also do we know when we can expect reviews for this game (on any console)? I know it seems like Wii U games are all embargoed until the 18th, but I had hoped to find out a bit more about this game before launch day.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is Gamepad off tv play confirmed for WiiU?

And if so, please add it to the OP.

DeVeAn

Loved the first game. Trying to decide between the Wii U version and the PC version. I want the best version which should be PC BUT, if the Wii U version runs the same I want that one.

Top Bottom