• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone warned Trump that there's literally nothing of value there to take, even if we wanted to? Other than drugs, at least..

?

There's $500B in minerals in Afghanistan.

But Bush and Obama already found out that it's impossible to get those minerals out because of the terrible infrastructure and the Taliban.

Mac_Lane

Don't know if it's been posted already but Turtle's numbers are dreadful

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has an 18 percent job approval rating in Kentucky, according to a new survey.

A Public Policy Polling survey found just 18 percent of respondents approve of the job McConnell is doing, compared with 74 percent who disapprove.

If McConnell were up for reelection today, 37 percent of respondents said they would vote for the Kentucky Republican. Another 44 percent would instead choose a Democratic opponent, according to the survey.

An additional 19 percent said they were unsure.

McConnell's seat will be on the ballot next in 2020.

Lest we forget that being President is complicated, say hello to your likely first major natural disaster in the Trump era! Do we even have a FEMA nominee yet?
UhLzPDD.png
That extremely random-looking collection of clouds has become progressively more likely to be a hurricane off the Texas coast this weekend. With some luck it'll hit Mexico, where perhaps it could create a lot of natural debris one could collect into piles along the border; A "wall" of some sort, one could say...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He could still pardon Arpaio even if he's not there. Bringing him up on stage to rub it into the rest of the government's face would be a really bad look, even for Trump. Could just announce it. But maybe not.

This isn't a thing. No hyperbole.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
He could still pardon Arpaio even if he's not there. Bringing him up on stage to rub it into the rest of the government's face would be a really bad look, even for Trump. Could just announce it. But maybe not.

You overestimate Trump's caring with respect to presenting a "really bad look" and underestimate his desire to demonstrate "he can do what he wants".

If he has an 18% approval rating why doesnt someone primary him?

Because approval numbers for Senators and Reps are usually pretty bullshit. Congress in general has like a single digit approval rating yet most of these fuckwits keep winning re-election. I interpret it as the country agrees as a whole Congress sucks, but everyone is convinced their representative isn't the problem.

Because approval numbers for Senators and Reps are usually pretty bullshit. Congress in general has like a single digit approval rating yet most of these fuckwits keep winning re-election. I interpret it as the country agrees as a whole Congress sucks, but everyone is convinced their representative isn't the problem.

But in this case, they actually believe their senator is the problem, as the poll notes. It has more than approval numbers in it.

But in this case, they actually believe their senator is the problem, as the poll notes. It has more than approval numbers in it.

Yet they keep sending him to congress. If that 18% reliably vote for him it doesn't really matter. I imagine another 15-20% would rather it was "someone they know" than a different Republican, and all those people and a few others would refuse to vote for a Democrat. Pretty sure Senators with low approval ratings still generally win. Shit, didn't JBE beat that human landfill in LA who had like a 30% approval rating by single digits?

Yet they keep sending him to congress. If that 18% reliably vote for him it doesn't really matter. I imagine another 15-20% would rather it was "someone they know" than a different Republican, and all those people and a few others would refuse to vote for a Democrat. Pretty sure Senators with low approval ratings still generally win. Shit, didn't JBE beat that human landfill in LA who had like a 30% approval rating by single digits?

As of right now, McConnell is losing against a generic D.
If McConnell were up for reelection today, 37 percent of respondents said they would vote for the Kentucky Republican. Another 44 percent would instead choose a Democratic opponent, according to the survey.
Generic D doesn't really exist, but a 7 point difference is pretty substantial.

So much for "winning wars in 30 days" or isolationism.

Hillary Clinton is a war hawk and will bring us to conflict GUARANTEED within the first year. If you want peace, you should vote for Trump, his isolationist ideas will make sure we don't get in a war. He won't want to send troops overseas when we need to tackle our own problems at home.

ugh...

Is there some kind of forcefield around Trump that causes people to lose their minds? I even remember "Trump actually cares more about LGBT rights than Hillary!" posts.

dramatis

I feel like people aren't very interested or outraged by Trump's new (relative to him) policy on Afghanistan because 1) it's complicated and hard and 2) it's more of the same.

Realistically, no.2 happens because of no.1.

But back during campaign season people were looking for any reason to excuse their support of Trump, and 'pacifistic' ideas are easy feel-good, no-need-to-defend items. Once you get into office and you get real information, it becomes a lot harder to reason out a quick withdrawal that optimizes the US's short and long term interests, as well as the interests of Afghanistan and its people.

I feel like people aren't very interested or outraged by Trump's new (relative to him) policy on Afghanistan because 1) it's complicated and hard and 2) it's more of the same.

Realistically, no.2 happens because of no.1.

But back during campaign season people were looking for any reason to excuse their support of Trump, and 'pacifistic' ideas are easy feel-good, no-need-to-defend items. Once you get into office and you get real information, it becomes a lot harder to reason out a quick withdrawal that optimizes the US's short and long term interests, as well as the interests of Afghanistan and its people.

Or because people are tribal and are willing to support the President regardless of policies he abandons. Being non-interventionist was just an excuse( like you said) on top of the many reasons they support him, but this is a small priority. They don't care if he contradicts himself in this case.

Blader

That the final conclusion of a months-long review process of Afghanistan is just to send a few thousand more troops to preserve the status quo for a while longer is a really depressing reminder of how ultimately pointless this war has been.

Hillary Clinton is a war hawk and will bring us to conflict GUARANTEED within the first year. If you want peace, you should vote for Trump, his isolationist ideas will make sure we don't get in a war. He won't want to send troops overseas when we need to tackle our own problems at home.

ugh...

Is there some kind of forcefield around Trump that causes people to lose their minds? I even remember "Trump actually cares more about LGBT rights than Hillary!" posts.

Clinton Derangement Syndrome

That the final conclusion of a months-long review process of Afghanistan is just to send a few thousand more troops to preserve the status quo for a while longer is a really depressing reminder of how ultimately pointless this war has been.

What is even the desired outcome? What is the point where you can even say it's a win? Also it's hilarious that Afghanistan wasn't even included on the travel ban.

ugh...

People were looking for any excuse to vote for Trump because he was anti-establishment or they hated Hillary and think somehow Trump would be better.

Some people are looking for an excuse to praise him. With the way he acts like he does, it is amazing he still has the amount of support. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a rich white man has a ton of leeway and has the privilege to be graded on a curve.

I bet that if Trump charged with any crimes his supporters will fall over themselves to defend him and the GOP would be unwilling to do anything.

Culex

Banned
The whole Afghan war makes me depressed. I spent over a year there and we actually made a lot of progress with the locals. It was later handed over to the Afghan army and I learned later that our FOB was overrun by Taliban a year after we left, the school was burned down and the town was mortared.

Wilsongt

The pettiest of the petty. The most petty thing you've ever seen. Amazingly petty!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...2/trump-ends-obamas-water-bottle-ban.amp.html

The Trump administration is ending a policy implemented by former president Barack Obama that attempted to ban water bottles at national parks.

The National Park Service announced last week it was ending the so-called Water Bottle Ban, which the Obama administration implemented in 2011 to "reduce our carbon footprint."

"In its commitment to providing a safe and world-class visitor experience, the National Park Service is discontinuing Policy Memorandum 11-03, commonly referred to as the ‘Water Bottle Ban,'" the agency said in a statement.

The National Park Service said the policy was counterproductive and only 23 out of 417 parks implemented the ban.

THIS RATIONALE

"The 2011 policy, which encouraged national parks to eliminate the sale of disposable water bottles, has been rescinded to expand hydration options for recreationalists, hikers, and other visitors to national parks," the agency said. "The ban removed the healthiest beverage choice at a variety of parks while still allowing sales of bottled sweetened drinks. The change in policy comes after a review of the policy's aims and impact in close consultation with Department of the Interior leadership."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ump-just-sided-with-the-lobby-that-fought-it/

The head of the Department ending a ban was a lobbiest for the water bottle industry associated with Nestle.

Blader

What is even the desired outcome? What is the point where you can even say it's a win? Also it's hilarious that Afghanistan wasn't even included on the travel ban.

Well the ultimate end goal is a democratic Afghanistan with its own self-sustaining government and military right? Except the Afghan government seems incompetent and many of our military gains were lost because we handed control to the local military. But we can't have US forces stationed there indefinitely to hold their hands at every turn, especially after we've been there for 16 years already.

We're officially tapped out any ideas of what to do with Afghanistan.

Blader

Oh so the DNC fundraising arm is different from the DCCC? I was feeling down about those DNC numbers considering how consistently I donate to the DCCC, but it looks like they're different.

I don't know the details that well, but I think the gist is that the GOP has a more centralized fundraising structure while the DNC, DSCC, and DCCC all fundraise separately from each other.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
So anyone wiling to wade in to alt-right places: how did they take the speech last night?

chadskin

More Mueller:
Paul Manafort’s place in the crosshairs of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into the Kremlin’s attempts to sway the 2016 presidential election seems to be growing more uncomfortable.

Two sources familiar with the inquiry tell McClatchy that investigators are working to confirm information indicating that Manafort and the consulting firms he led earned between $80 million and $100 million over a decade from pro-Moscow Ukrainian and Russian clients.

Mueller’s expanded focus on Manafort’s complicated financial picture is zeroing in on whether he may have evaded taxes or engaged in any money laundering schemes, the sources say, and the hunt for his financial records through a labyrinth of offshore bank and business accounts has become an important prong of the investigation.
“If Manafort is shown to have violated the tax laws and the disclosure laws in connection with his foreign income, then he may be facing substantial jail time and large fines,” said Jennifer Rodgers, a former federal prosecutor and the executive director of Columbia Law School’s Center for the Advancement of Public Integrity. If the violations are willful, the penalties go up.

That’s the sort of pressure that could cause Manafort to cut a deal with Mueller under which he might receive leniency in return for divulging what contact he and other Trump aides had with Russian officials and operatives during 2016.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article168495437.html

Blader

Manafort is truly stupid for willingly hitching himself to a presidential campaign when he was this up to his eyeballs in foreign money and connections.

geomon

Coal CEO expected Trump help, but administration said no

The Trump administration has rejected a coal industry push to win a rarely used emergency order protecting coal-fired power plants, a decision contrary to what one coal executive said the president personally promised him.

The decision is a rare example of friction between the beleaguered coal industry and the president who has vowed to save it. It also highlights a pattern emerging as the administration crafts policy: The president’s bold declarations — both public and private — are not always carried through to implementation.

Murray told the White House that his key customer, Ohio-based electricity company FirstEnergy Solutions, was at immediate risk of bankruptcy. Without FirstEnergy’s plants burning his coal, Murray said his own company would be forced into “immediate bankruptcy,” triggering the layoffs of more than 6,500 miners. FirstEnergy acknowledged to the AP that bankruptcy of its power-generation business was a possibility.

Murray urged Trump to use the provision in the Federal Power Act to halt further coal plant closures by declaring an emergency in the electric power grid.

After a conversation with Trump at a July 25 political rally in Youngstown, Ohio, Murray wrote, the president told Perry three times, “I want this done.” Trump also directed the emergency order be given during an Aug. 3 conversation in Huntington, West Virginia, he said.

4a4.gif

Wilsongt

I hope something comes out that can take down Roger Stone, too.

Also, if Republicans and right-wing folks are so concerned about

🌍🕎🐔 (((((((G L OB A L I S T C U C K S O R O S)))))) 🐔🕎🌍 so much, why don't they launch and investigation? They loved investigating Hillary when there was nothing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom