• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
psychopsychic said:
I mean this is all hilarious and everything, but the fact is this is not and never would have been a game of any significance so the copies of the game you guys are buying are not going to be worth anything.

This was just three guys, who probably never made a game before, that just threw something together with some freeware adventure game making software. Most random flash games have more developer prowess behind them then anything made by that 'engine'. Only difference between this and any random mario flash game clone is that somehow this one got on a few random store shelves.

This would be a lot better if it was a real developer that put together a game that was actually in the public eye beforehand.

My god, imagine the chaos if axe-guy came from some no-name fireman game back in the 90's. Maybe somebody should check on that one...

What?

I'm not buying this game for an amazing Ebay killing in two years. I'm buying it for my collection.

It's going on the shelf next to my original Battlecruiser 3000 v1.0, signed Daikatana and Big Rigs Over The Road Racing boxes.

Xabora

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=1957.0

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any game security with WME after the project has been compiled as an executeable?

What I mean is my project can be installed onto a PC and the CD/DVD removed and the game played, this is ok for submitted demos and circulated freeware games. But what about commericial games?

Is there a way that when the player loads up the project, gets to the main menu and clicks start that it checks that the correct media is in the drive and it is the official media??

I just want to stop people copying the game onto their harddrives and then giving the media to someone else to put on their machines. etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Wow... o_o

nyong

Banned
jay said:
Own this because you appreciate terrible things, not to make a buck. You make collecting shit look bad.

I'm not trying to collect, I'm trying to profit. I'm the person who sells off his old games when he's finished.

This will almost certainly make national news now that it ripped off Disney AND made it to market: this I'm calling now. The question is, will there be a surge in demand AMONG COLLECTORS (who pay the insane prices)? This will definately become an important part of videogame history. Mark my words, this will lead to discovering several well known titles with blatant plagarism.

I don't see anything wrong with buying a copy and selling it off down the road.

FlyinJ said:
What?

I'm not buying this game for an amazing Ebay killing in two years. I'm buying it for my collection.

It's going on the shelf next to my original Battlecruiser 3000 v1.0, signed Daikatana and Big Rigs Over The Road Racing boxes.

Well then I guess I wasn't talking to you.

Btw, would you like to buy a box of shit that I just shat in? Act now and I can seal in the freshness.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
psychopsychic said:
Well then I guess I wasn't talking to you.

Btw, would you like to buy a box of shit that I just shat in? Act now and I can seal in the freshness.

919220_20040114_screen001.jpg

Mash

nyong said:
I'm not trying to collect, I'm trying to profit. I'm the person who sells off his old games when he's finished.

This will almost certainly make national news now that it ripped off Disney AND made it to market: this I'm calling now. The question is, will there be a surge in demand AMONG COLLECTORS (who pay the insane prices). This will go definately become an important part of videogame history. Mark my words, this will probably lead to discovering several well known titles with blatant plagarism.

I don't see anything wrong with buying a copy and selling it off down the road.

Good for you, you don't have to explain to yourself though. I'm not sure it will make national news though, I'd enjoy it if it did though. I'm doing jack this evening except read a book and occasionally F5 this thread, it's mor entertaining than Big Brother anyway.

Zenith

Banned
Xabora said:
EDIT: http://dead-code.org/home/
Oh wow, they didn't even code te engine. (Didn't expect em too) :lol

WHAT? they used the Wintermute engine? there are tons of amateur wintermute games out there. frankly, now what's shocking isn't that they stole assets as I've seen lots of talentless fan projects do the same, but that they got a publisher deal. that's the real story. really they're no different then any other crappy mod team.

what brainless moron looked at an amateur game like that and thought they could make money on it. someone must have been telling some huge porkies.

Vorador

Banned
Zenith said:
WHAT? they used the Wintermute engine? there are tons of amateur wintermute games out there. frankly, now what's shocking isn't that they stole assets as I've seen lots of talentless fan projects do the same, but that they got a publisher deal. that's the real story. really they're no different then any other crappy mod team.

what brainless moron looked at an amateur game like that and thought they could make money on it. someone must have been telling some huge porkies.

Probably because they were able to give it a very polished look thanks to the stole assets, and gived it to a PR who was wowed by the trailer and the screenshots, but didn't noticed most of the stuff was stolen.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Someone on another forum found a link to a scanned image of an Amiga magazine from 1995 that previewed the Amiga build of this game.

Are scans from 1995 Amiga magazines allowed on here?

Twig

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Someone on another forum found a link to a scanned image of an Amiga magazine from 1995 that previewed the Amiga build of this game.

1995?!

Post them. Take one for the team! (I have no clue if they're allowed. ;-;)

It's got 80% on GameRankings. *head-scratch* If it's actually a decent game, this could be quite the collector's item down the track; although the people behind it fully deserve the huge firestorm that approaches them. An amazing exercise in thievery: if you're going to go out, you might as well go big, eh?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
FlyinJ said:

Posting scans generally only relates to new scans (or scans that could replace someone actually buying something), as far as I know. Posting scans from an old Amiga magazine should be fine.

Please tell me they ripped off Monkey Island or something.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
morningbus said:
Posting scans generally only relates to new scans (or scans that could replace someone actually buying something), as far as I know. Posting scans from an old Amiga magazine should be fine.

Please tell me they ripped off Monkey Island or something.

I'll wait for a mod to say it's ok. I don't want to get banned for posting potentially copyrighted material in a thread discussing the largest breach of copyright ever known to the industry.

But yes, it is the same type of game as Monkey Island (side scrolling point and click). Too bad we can't pull up a bunch of 89-94 Amiga games to compare and contrast to see what was stolen back then.

There's even concept art!

Chiggs

Honestly, these guys would have been better off buying models and sets at Content Paradise or something.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Zenith said:
http://www.justadventure.com/Previews/Limbo/art4.jpg[IMG]

[I]Granny Faggot[/I]

These guys have class.[/QUOTE]
Do you think it's inspired by [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Cradock"]Fanny Cradock[/URL]?

morningbus said:
I found some non-magazine scans of the original Amiga LoL here: http://hol.abime.net/4305/screenshot

Nothing pops out as being a blatant rip, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: Some highlights:

4305_screen6.png
4305_screen7.png

And I think I may have found someone a new avatar:
4305_screen9.png

:lol I'm stretching here but that "walk toward the camera/away from the camera" looks a little bit like the intro to "Another World/Out Of This World" with some Deluxe Paint over the top.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I wouldn't be surprised if those amiga shots don't have stolen art. There was SO MUCH shovelware crap back in the Amiga days, it would be almost impossible to tell what came from where if you just picked assets out of the shovelware pile.

Torquill

neight said:
Those Amiga screens redeem them a little. WTF went so wrong with the new version.

They likely had an artist on the Amiga version. They clearly didn't for this new iteration.

Quazar

Don't know if this was posted yet or not: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18999

Gamasutra said:
Following accusations that PC title Limbo of the Lost used assets taken from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Thief: Deadly Shadows, among other games, publisher Tri Synergy has discontinued distribution of the game.

The company claims it had no knowledge that developer Majestic Studios reused the level designs and artwork without permission.

The company claims that it is "shocked" by recent screenshot comparisons from gaming communities GamePlasma and NeoGAF that allegedly show Limbo of the Lost using level designs and artwork originally from a multitude of other games.

The adventure game, which uses 2D screenshots of environments for its backdrops, seems to include pictures of games including The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Diablo II, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 2003, Diablo II, Crysis, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft, Painkiller, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and other titles.

According to Tri Synergy, at no point during its dealings with Majestic Studios did the publisher have any knowledge of these similarities. Tri Synergy has states that it has contacted Majestic and that it is awaiting the studio's response. Tri Synergy plans to release another statement once they know more about the alleged asset theft.

UK-based developer and publisher G2 Games, Limbo of the Lost's publisher in Europe, has yet to comment on the accusations.

Xabora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lotllogo.jpg

This image or media is unlicensed for use on Wikipedia and allowed only under a claim of fair use per Wikipedia:Non-free content, but it is not used in any articles. Unless some reason to retain it is given, the image will be deleted after Thursday, 19 June 2008. Please remove this template if a reason for keeping this image has been provided, or it is still used in articles.

Great timing!

FlyinJ said:
I wouldn't be surprised if those amiga shots don't have stolen art. There was SO MUCH shovelware crap back in the Amiga days, it would be almost impossible to tell what came from where if you just picked assets out of the shovelware pile.

Do we even know if the Amiga game was being developed by the same people? It wouldn't surprise me if the game name & concept has been pilfered too.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
rogue_pigeon said:
Do we even know if the Amiga game was being developed by the same people? It wouldn't surprise me if the game name & concept has been pilfered too.

We do know that the same three names are attached to both. Whether the people who made the current LoL abducted and killed the original LoL creators and assumed their identities is up for debate.

fanduck

When I was in high school, I had a teacher who gave essay tests that everybody claimed he didn't even read, but graded based on length. I got bold one day, and wrote a response to the essay that was just ridiculous and crazy cause I didn't think he'd read it and it would be funny to show off. Not only did he read it, but he read it to the entire class and gave me an F! This incident reminds me of that experience on a much larger scale.

Rayme

morningbus said:
We do know that the same three names are attached to both. Whether the people who made the current LoL abducted and killed the original LoL creators and assumed their identities is up for debate.
It would kind of fit with the theme.

GhaleonEB

AugustDivision said:
Okay this can't be real. I know it is, but one of the items is seriously a pair of tongs.
:lol :lol :lol

Now he's going to have Peter Jackson on his case. And lol at the kitchen tongs....:lol

nyong

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:

Haha, that never even crossed my mind. Considering how incompetent (read: idiotic) those "developers" seem to be it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Especially since the concept must be half decent given the positive reviews.

Top Bottom