• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 10 Cancelled Legacy of Kains (Mama Robotnik Research Thread)

Jac_Solar

Incredible work as always.

I hadn't heard about Nosgoth before, so I looked it up.. Multiplayer only. bleh. Why? Why would they make a multiplayer only game with an IP that is known for its single player only, and stories/lore? Why? It doesn't make sense. They would have been better off just making a brand new IP multiplayer.

drspeedy

standing-ovation-o.gif

Great, as always, Mama.

Seeing how much of the concept work gets re-used is amazing... and sad to see how much of it gets lost in the apparently endless cancellation shuffling.

Really fascinating read; thank you for putting in the time.

The LoK series is one that's always been very special to me and while I'm disappointed that it's story didn't continue on in the way much less deserving titles have had the privilege of it did at least get a chance to be told as it has and provided some closure.

To those who haven't already run through the available games, do yourself a favour and round them up as you're missing out on one of the great tales told by our favourite medium.

marrec

Banned
It hurts a bit to see that we could have gotten a 'Legacy of Kain' single player experience but instead we're getting some multiplayer tripe. Even if the story was far removed from the original games, it would have been nice to find all the little connections back to Kain.

Great thread, as always. The cancellation of Dead Sun is just another example of how horribly mismanaged Square Enix has been.

Mama Robotnik, making NeoGAF that much better. This is awesome and will definitely give it a run later on. I love this franchise and I think it's terrible that it's not getting more attention. Soul Reaver 3 on next gen consoles would just fucking destroy.

This is incredible! The article has only been up for an hour or two, and I've received an email from someone completely new with some further media from Dead Sun. The OP is going to be updated in a few minutes. Amazing stuff. I know a LOT of people worked on this project, but I never expected a response so quick.

Thanks so much, by the way, for the really positive feedback. It just encourages me to continue this hobby of mine.

Jac_Solar

"I do not have that (something I can't read it too well/Destien? Though that's not really a word) I kill ("for"/"it or" the small writing and blurry image doesn't help) men(?)"

Dude that wrote that really needs better handwriting if he's writing that small.

OH!

"I do not have that design. I kill it or men."

There you go. I think that's what it's saying.

I think it's something like this;

"[Did you honestly] believe that you [were the only vampire in Nosgoth?] You are [just] a minor pawn whose powers pale in comparison to [???]. Yes, I am also a [vampire]. Your [great] flaw, my good [???], is that you have a soul. You have a conscience that [powers] your [???] to survive. I do not have that [devotion? potion? poison?]. I [???] for [men]."

You make the best threads, man.

This series was very underrated - and I wish people made threads where I could learn the gritty details of other underrated series like this, too.

marrec

Banned
You make the best threads, man.

This series was very underrated - and I wish people made threads where I could learn the gritty details of other underrated series like this, too.

I'm not sure about that, Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver are both highly rated as far as I knew, we just haven't had a follow up title in a decade. Maybe it was just the circle of gamers I hung out with, but back in the PS1/PS2 days these games were considered very highly.

Which makes it even more surprising that we haven't had a real sequel.

wait a sec...

CLIMAX, the studio that made Silent Hill Shattered Memories (and Origins), was working on a PS3/PS4 Kain game? Now it's cancelled?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

that's a depressing way to start a morning. :(

I'll respond properly later, but just to add - I've added a load of new Dead Sun screenshots to the OP. Since this went live, someone new just emailed them to me.

KorrZ

Excellent post Mama Robotnik. Makes me so sad to hear about this cancelled project....Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun sounds like everything I've dreamed about for years :(

Fuck off Square with your probably 3-5 million sales expectations.

Ravek

Banned
Honestly never cared of the series. But this is simply great. My friend is a huge fan of the franchise and I'm sure he will love (and hate) this.

Well done. Indeed, you deserve a beer and prob a 5HR Energy.

dionysus

Yaldog
Why didn't the studio formally known as Silicon Knights try to kickstart a spiritual successor of this instead of ED? Would probably have been funded considering the fans of this series are a rabid underserved niche.

TEJ

I'm not a huge fan of LoK but topics like these make me feel that Mama Robotnik is the best damned poster on this site.

Sendero

Incredible detective work. Major props Mama Robotnik!

I have only played Legacy of Kain: Defiance (around 2005), which came recommended by a lot of people, and for that I had to dwelve into the story of the other games. It was so compelling, that I actually read most of the walkthroughs/plot guides so as to get a better understanding of the previous titles.

The story elements from LoK: Dark Prophecy sounded quite interesting, it's sad that it was cancelled so early.

It always baffles me how much effort is put in creating textures/sounds/schematics for games that never ever see the light. Specially for MMORPGs that seems to die almost as fast as they are announced.. Studios should either sell or reuse those to create compelling single player experiences.. it should help reduce costs.

Terra_Ex

Another great Mama Robotnik thread, and another freshly discovered travesty befalls the LoK franchise, this time in the form of Dead Sun *sigh*. Sounds like Dead Sun could have turned out really nicely, good job Square... Chakan 2 stuff was pretty interesting, I remember playing the original back on the mega drive, certainly explains why that game ended up the way it did.

ebil

Yet another fantastic Mama Robotnik thread. Dead Sun looked great, at least the environmental Art Direction did. Hope it resurfaces as another project... Some day.

BibiMaghoo

OP, your threads are great, but they make me want to punch cute animals to death.

A really solid IP, wasted by bean counters. Such a shame.

Voror

Fascinating (and slightly depressing) piece!

Both DP and DS sound like they could have been fantastic games, though perhaps not so much on DS since the lack of a continuation of Kain's story seemed odd. I do rather like that in both cases Crystal Dynamics were consulted in regards to the world and story.

So depressing that a series such as this never had a continuation given the way Defiance ended, though it is equally interesting how the series evolved and came to be as it was with all the different elements from other projects.

I always hate reading about cancelled games.

Especially Saturn versions of games, when that's definitely one of my favorite consoles.

Thanks for making me feel bad, Mama Robotnik.

Top Bottom