• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

So obviously Microsoft knew it would be impossible to contain leaks, so they just went full on out and have had their 3rd party partners flood the market with bogus rumors.

We're going to get a constant stream of bullshit rumors until they decide to reveal the console late this year or early next year.

foxdvd

would be cool if each core had its own neon lite that turned on as each core activated...and all turned red when.....

Tek

Another day, another rumor...I'm waiting for the one that says the Microsoft is releasing Skynet

injurai

Banned
How many cores does it take for independent developer's to go out of business...

A one-a, a two-a, a THREE... A three.

Drencrom

Enough of these rumors already. I see new ones almost everyday on GAF now and they contradict each other most of the time.

DieH@rd

Banned
The most funny thing is, theoretical top GFLOPS are not that great between CELL and 16 threaded PowerPC7.

CELL 230.4 GFLOPS [@ less than 40W]
Power7 33.12 GFLOPS per core clocked at 4.18 GHz = 132.48 GFLOPS

Of course, they will modify PowerPC7 to serve as better gaming part [Charlie from S|E mentioned "PowerPC7+"], and 100% utilisation of SPE's is not easily achievable. In the end, its easier to work with 16 general built CPU threads, than with SPEs.

The most funny thing is, theoretical top GFLOPS are not that great between CELL and 16 threaded PowerPC7.

Of course, they will modify PowerPC7 to serve as better gaming part [Charlie from S|E mentioned "PowerPC7+"], and 100% utilisation of SPE's is not easily achievable. In the end, its easier to work with 16 general built CPU threads, than with SPEs.

So, theorethicly, good news? Haha

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well obviously. The gall they have to publish the phrase implying that is hilarious - day one maxed out system

It seems we've interpreted the phrase slightly differently. I took it to mean that developers will simply scale up their multithreaded engines coincident with the increased core/thread count, rather than a proclamation that the games will be milking the processor for all its worth from day one.

Globox_82

Banned

no wonder PS4 is going to be more powerful when even PS3 is more powerful lol

Ydahs

The more bullshit a site sprouts, the better chance they have to make it on a mainstream site.

This is starting to feel like GameFAQs NGG pre E3 2005. That is not a good thing.

eso76

my reactions to this, in order:

1) holy motherfucking crap

2) i want to use it as render farm.

3) told you guys, Rango in real time ! hence the codename !

4) with 16 cores you can rule the world !

5) are we sure it's not more like 16 threads though ?

6) how reliable is the source anyway ? hmm..

7) at this point i think MS themselves are spreading these rumors on forums; then observing gamers' reactions to decide what they should put in their next console.

heh, i hope someone spills the beans soon, i can't take one year+ of this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
my reactions to this, in order:

1) holy motherfucking crap

2) i want to use it as render farm.

3) told you guys, Rango in real time ! hence the codename !

4) with 16 cores you can rule the world !

5) are we sure it's not more like 16 threads though ?

6) how reliable is the source anyway ? hmm..

7) at this point i think MS themselves are spreading these rumors on forums; then observing gamers' reactions to decide what they should put in their next console.

heh, i hope someone spills the beans soon, i can't take one year+ of this.

Durango can be phonetically spelled as "Do-rango". I think you're on to something! :p

Perkel

Banned
lol how people forget that sony delivered 7 core console.

16core could mean anything it coule be 2 PPc cores and other will be risc SPU cores.

Next Xbox is an App on iOS. You heard it first from me.

index.php

Jibbed

Don't tell me people are actually believing this shit?

16 threads in total maybe, but cores?

Xbox 720, $2000 confirmed.

nib95

Banned
Sounds like a BEAST if true. On a side note, why are they all going with ATI's new architecture when it seems from the PC perspective at least, Nvidia's latest offering is actually stronger?

Somnid

Hope you like expensive consoles. Both MS and Sony rumors are a bit worrying and sound like they have learned nothing.

frostbyte

People are ignoring the most important quote in OP: PS4 is going to be more powerful than 720.

Can't blame us when we have a 16 core beast of a console. I mean they can use "all sixteen cores to work on day one for a level of performance far in excess of current gaming PCs"! Console Burning house of the forever!

Top Bottom