• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

i like colin moriarty but greg miller was always stupidly annoying to me.

Same. I like Colin because even though I don't agree with him sometimes, he voices his opinions very well. Especially when it comes to Square Enix/JRPGs and Nintendo. I kind him to be very level headed and he's very good at carrying a conversation.

Greg always came off as overly excited and too much of a character for me to take him seriously. In a conversation, he depends too much on inside jokes and his opinions don't usually move the conversation forward, rather keeps it stagnant. I get that he has several connections in the industry so he's more casual during interviews and such, but he comes off as a bit too brash. I always viewed Greg as the kid in your classroom who always tries to get people to laugh. Sometimes it works but other times you just want him to be quiet.

I don't hate Greg, but I'm not a fan of his. I do like his channel and his podcasts, mostly because it involves Colin. If he's reading this, I have no hostility towards him either, but I'd prefer to view content from others. I will give him props on getting Shuhei Yoshida to become much more open with the consumers whenever Greg and Colin interview him however.

Best wishes.

Fuck. Yes.
I completely stopped listening to beyond but now I can get back into PS podcast game (besides the occasional blogcast)

AmuroChan

I don't get it either. Just seems like a way to guarantee hits from a specific segment of fanboys.

Not everything has to come down to being a fanboy. I enjoy the different platform-specific podcasts because you will have hosts that are very knowledgeable about that one platform. You can also go into much more in-depth discussions related to that one platform whereas on a general game podcast you gotta move things along pretty quickly in order to cover everything.

Subbing to this topic. Guys if you don't want PS centric stuff, watch the same videos you have been watching. I don't see the issue. Let others, many others like me enjoy the PS-centric Podcast. It seems like some of you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

EDIT: Topic should say Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty. Leaving one of them out, what is this foolishness?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Hey, oti--

No. 1, thanks for caring enough to even comment.

No. 2, we're not limiting ourselves to anything. Since launch, we've had the Kinda Funny Gamescast and Colin & Greg Live: two shows that cover anything and everything gaming. However, since launch, our best friends have been asking Colin and I to do another PlayStation podcast as it's where our expertise and passion lies. So, we are.

Gamescast and Colin & Greg Live will go on with us. This is just a focused show for the PlayStation faithful from the PlayStation experts.

<3
Greg

PS - Sorry to the one guy on this thread who can't stand me. One day, I will die and the Internet will be safe again for you.

I understand your reasoning, but it'll make your site look somewhat biased with the only console-specific podcast being a Playstation podcast. BTW, we need more Oreo Orations. So many new flavors you're missing. Cookies & Creme, Key Lime Pie, and Smores are all missing!

Can't wait for this. The true podcast beyond successor is finally here

I wonder if they're gonna bring on anyone else for this show

oti

Banned
Hey, oti--

No. 2, we're not limiting ourselves to anything. Since launch, we've had the Kinda Funny Gamescast and Colin & Greg Live: two shows that cover anything and everything gaming. However, since launch, our best friends have been asking Colin and I to do another PlayStation podcast as it's where our expertise and passion lies. So, we are.

Gamescast and Colin & Greg Live will go on with us. This is just a focused show for the PlayStation faithful from the PlayStation experts.

<3
Greg

PS - Sorry to the one guy on this thread who can't stand me. One day, I will die and the Internet will be safe again for you.

Thanks for answering. To me it just feels redundant that's all. Sounds like you're trying to get everyone who stayed with IGN's PS centric podcast which is fair but at the same time it kinda undermines your existing podcast to some degree. Do whatever you want though. All the best.

BTW: Why is everyone here calling me oti? It's Greek! It means something! I'M SPECIAL HURDUURRDIDURR!

Vinc

I'm totally ok with them making this additional, focused podcast. They really, really know PlayStation, they actually dive deep and analyze everything surrounding the platform from a fan perspective, but also from a business perspective, and it leads to really, really interesting discussions that I don't think they always have time to have on the gamescast, especially with that one having to rely on slightly more evergreen topics due to launching first for subscribers. A recent gamescast episode had a fairly deep dive into PlayStation business and it reminded me of how much I missed their perspective. I'm really looking forward to this. For those saying they're doing it for clicks... maybe... but why is that bad? That basically means they're doing what their audience wants from them, and doing it with passion since they genuinely love PlayStation. There's nothing bad about this.

This makes me happy. I don't like podcasts, youtube channels...basically anything Kinda Funny does (get off my lawn you young, punk, kids) but for some reason the way they do it I enjoy.

Both of them in particular are just dudes I'd like to kick back, have a drink with, and play video games. Hell, I'm pretty liberal and Colin has made me think critically and re-evaluate some of my philosophies when others couldn't.

DieH@rd

Banned
Good news.

The only bad thing is that I don't want to subscribe to KFG and get flooded with all of their other videos.

aadiboy

Thank god. KF Gamescast wasn't doing it for me...it was just a glorified question and answer segment for the most part. This sounds like it's going to be a true Podcast Beyond successor, so I'll be sure to watch it.

StoveOven

Banned
This is awesome. I'm happy that it's a single upload. I like the Gamescast, but I often feel like they try too hard to make it a four topic show, which hurts the overall quality and flow.

845380.gif

So happy right now.

AmuroChan

I'm interested, but how critical do they allow themselves to get? I'm hesitant to get into any "official brand" podcasts.

Not at all. You basically will not hear them say anything bad about PlayStation. Also, no cursing and no mentioning the competitors by name. It's a good podcast for general PlayStation news/info and developers interviews.

Great news, I completely stopped listening to Beyond once they left and have only checked out their kinda funny videos on the rare occasion and it never really grabbed me.

totowhoa

Banned
I never listened to PB and never knew it was big until the whole scuttlebutt around Kinda Funny starting up. I'll give this a shot if only because that's a perfect name + logo.

I only really know Greg Miller from showing up elsewhere on the gaming scene, like Giant Bomb events and other similar guest appearances. He's always annoyed me a bit, but I've never really gotten to know him or his personality and tastes really. Worth a shot I think

LifEndz

I'll give it a shot, although Greg's antics and Colin's smugness irritate me, I need a second games podcast to listen to other than giantbomb.

I do worry that between this, the Gamescast and Colin and Greg Live, things may get spread a little more thinly. Or we'll end up with repeat courses.

I mean, if there's big Sony news, does the fact that it's PS news prevent it from being covered as a main topic on the Gamescast (or vice-versa)? Will we have the same analysis and opinions twice? Or will Colin and Greg be dropping out of the Gamescast?

Really happy about this. I was disappointed with the new Beyond crew because they don't talk about Playstation games much. They pretty much ignore the Vita and they don't bothering talking about the few PS4 exclusives that do come out. It has become more of a general gaming/comedy podcast more than a PS centric one. Looking forward to this.

Bolivar687

Banned
Been hoping they'd do this for a while. I like Tim but Greg seems like a host at heart, I hope he plays that role here again.

killroy87

Not at all. You basically will not hear them say anything bad about PlayStation. Also, no cursing and no mentioning the competitors by name. It's a good podcast for general PlayStation news/info and developers interviews.

Thanks for the info. That's not something I have any interest in listening to, though. I really wouldn't be able to take anything they say as genuine. I'm probably overly cynical, I'm aware.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Awesome!

Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty are my favorite voices in gaming. I can't get enough of their content and I'm so happy their doing this.

I understand your reasoning, but it'll make your site look somewhat biased with the only console-specific podcast being a Playstation podcast.
Pretty sure 75%+ of the Kinda Funny Games listeners already know Greg and Colin's history on Podcast Beyond and doing other Sony specific events and have taken it into account. Nobody is being caught "off guard" with a Sony bias, if there is one. Greg and Colin definitely have ties to the PS community and always will, but they've been plenty excited for non-Sony things so it's not a big deal.

I'll always remember Greg as the shy new guy on Game Scoop, so I don't really worry about biases lol.

You guys weren't around during the PS3 days, then. Greg (at least) was openly critical of Sony and the things they were doing on Scoop back then. I'm totally dropping the ball on the segment, but he would do a 60 second rant which was quite enjoyable to hear, going off on practices he didn't like. Sony has been doing better so it's not a surprise they don't have as many criticisms.

Besides, Greg is more of a positive guy in the first place, so while he may have enjoyed those rants, he always comes off as more interested in highlighting the positives in the industry, anyhow.

EDIT:

I'll add this: I'm not a Sony gamer, never have been, likely never will be. I've almost never listened to an episode of Podcast Beyond in my entire life, though I loved Greg and Colin when they were on Game Scoop.

That being said, it feels good and right in this world to have them doing a Playstation podcast again. I'll never listen, due to my gaming tendencies, but I support them doing what they love and wish them much success.

Really happy about this. I was disappointed with the new Beyond crew because they don't talk about Playstation games much. They pretty much ignore the Vita and they don't bothering talking about the few PS4 exclusives that do come out. It has become more of a general gaming/comedy podcast more than a PS centric one. Looking forward to this.

I blame Max for this. His lack of care/passion for the brand fails to drive the podcast forward. They always end up getting derailed with off-topic things. It was funny and interesting when that would happen when Colin and Greg were on it, but that's because it didn't happen often. Max just doesn't seem to care much.

The show also lost its great format: 1.) Intro, 2.) News, 3.) New Releases, 4.) Main Topic, 5.) Worst PSN Name of the Week, 6.) Listener-submitted song.

Now it's just 1.) News, 2.) Randomness.

I would still name the Greg/Colin era Podcast Beyond to be my favorite that I've listened to, so this is welcome news (big fan of KFG and CGL too).

Hey, oti--

<3
Greg

The knowledge and passion do come through, it's what made the old Beyond so great, and also why the new Beyond (no PS passion) feels so lacking. No real way around your second point with the KF crew, but I'll echo that it would be awesome if there were a high quality dedicated Xbox podcast from people who had a similar passion and knowledge as you guys do for Playstation.

Traffcore

This is some really lovely news. Great promotional video too. It reminds of the sharing of games video at E3 2013 from Sony!

I don't think they will have to spread anything out. You could give Colin and Greg 5 hours and day and they could fill it all with PS related content.

Game over greggy pod cast is filled with a ton of general nerd/gamer related stuff, and the KFGcast is all over the place with industry stuff and some news.

This is very specific to what Beyond probably was and as someone who listened to that for years even with their current content that void is missing.

I can listen to all 4 and a Conversation with Colin without getting the same information.

I'm a PlayStation gamer, always have been. They know the Sony business and culture better than anyone else in the industry.

And let's face it anything where they are not talking about Portillo for 30 minutes is a good thing. I love Portillo just not enough to listen about him on my commute lol.

I blame Max for this. His lack of care/passion for the brand fails to drive the podcast forward. They always end up getting derailed with off-topic things. It was funny and interesting when that would happen when Colin and Greg were on it, but that's because it didn't happen often. Max just doesn't seem to care much.

The show also lost its great format: 1.) Intro, 2.) News, 3.) New Releases, 4.) Main Topic, 5.) Worst PSN Name of the Week, 6.) Listener-submitted song.

Now it's just 1.) News, 2.) Randomness.

Exactly I hate how chaotic its become. I mean the only regular thing they did for a while was new releases but they randomly stopped doing it.

I'm a little behind so only just listened to the Greg/Colin only Gamescast from a few weeks back, had major Beyond vibes which really made me miss it even more, this is fantastic news, can't wait.

I feel as though someone who can speak enough japanese to translate news sources and play import games is a mandatory part of a dedicated Playstation podcast.

Stimpack

i like colin moriarty but greg miller was always stupidly annoying to me.
Yes, I agree. It's a shame he's pretty much everywhere. I don't know how people can stand him. That's a great name for a podcast, though.

*edit*

"You know we have to pay for this room, right?"

"You don't have to pay for shit, you already paid for the person to come in and clean this shit."

For clarification, that is the exact moment when he both garnered Giant Bomb appeal and came off as a real asshole.

Past

You know, I was keeping up on his main podcast, but then the last episode I listened to they started going on about a dog or something for a while, and I just think to myself "why am i listening to this?" and I delete his podcast from my phone.

Maybe I'll give this one a shot, but if they start talking about a dog, that isn't a videogame related dog at least, I'm just gonna delete it again.

Don't bother then. They never stay on topic, ever.

Good news! I finally checked out some of the KindaFunny content a few weeks ago, and I liked it, but I think I'd like something more focused.

Edit: And I haven't consistently listened to a weekly podcast since I was in college years ago, but I'm interested.

Top Bottom