• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub New Screens + HQ Re-Reveal Trailer

vpance

Depends how long its in the oven, if its coming late next year I could easily see it looking better than this even at 60fps.

At a locked 60, I don't think so. If it will go sub 60 then it's possible. Environment and lighting cuts might get them close.

And then people would rip the game apart, like with Forza 5.

Well, I must have mistakenly assumed that they were trying to appeal to people on the basis of truly next-gen gameplay, not just pretty next-gen graphics. People who rip on F5 are mostly doing so on the grounds of the level of core content and the access to it, not much else, though there are those who continually harp about relatively minor points of its visual sheen. The core gameplay, however, is perfectly fine and correctly focused on player control and visual feedback. No one is, that I've noticed, making any strong points about the in-game racing/driving experience being poor or lacking.

Project cars visuals on PS4 < Drive Club visuals IMO. Yeah yeah 60fps blah blah bblah, this videos makes 60fps vs 30fps a moot point iimo.

I chuckled reading that, but yeah I agree with DriveClub's visuals outclassing Project Cars, that being said Project Cars still looks impressive.

Considering PD never really focused on environments, I'm sure they can get the cars looking better than in DC.
I would argue that some* of the cars in GT6 already look better than the ones in DC.

*only appreciable in photomode, once tessellation slowly kicks in - but it's clear the full-quality assets have been made with GT7 in mind

Say what you want about the game but come release day I'll be playing this mofo. I dont give two shits what anyone wants to cry about

Time for some Thrustmaster shopping.

Same here. I was on the fence for the arcade racer factor, but fuck that. This game just looks like it could be fun... and if notIll just drive slow and take in all the pretty sights

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Project cars visuals on PS4 < Drive Club visuals IMO. Yeah yeah 60fps blah blah bblah, this videos makes 60fps vs 30fps a moot point iimo.
That's not just your opinion, it's a fact.

WdA49KG.jpg

For now, if anyone thinks this looks better than DC is either blind or on crack.

Loudninja

Might as well post this here:
You&#8217;ll be able to customise your vehicles using liveries that you unlock throughout the game, changing colours and paint finishes of the various layers. This will allow you to create unique paint jobs that&#8217;ll make you and your club stand out from the pack.
We&#8217;re keen for you to see how much it&#8217;s improved since you last saw it, even for the areas where we&#8217;ve already achieved great things. Our artists have relished the extra time to add more cars and tracks and to add detail upon detail to the cars and tracks we&#8217;ve had all along. They&#8217;re all trying to one-up each other and exploit the power of PS4 as much as possible and they&#8217;ll continue to do so until you get your hands on the game. So you can definitely expect us to be proudly sharing updates with you for the rest of the year.

Our ambition was always to transcend &#8220;arcade&#8221; and &#8220;simulation&#8221; stereotypes because we want to bring fans of all racing games (and all of their friends) together in DRIVECLUB. The driving model we&#8217;ve developed offers the best of both worlds, with handling that offers many layers of depth to allow players of all ability to race together.

If you come from a background of arcade racing or you&#8217;re completely new to racing, you&#8217;ll find it easy to pick up and you&#8217;ll quickly learn that you do need to use the brakes more than you would in most arcade racing games.

If you come from a background of simulation racing or you understand the art of race craft, you&#8217;ll be able to pull off advanced driving techniques and use the weight and velocity of the car realitsitically to keep to the racing line and shave milliseconds of of your lap times.

The length of the roads and race tracks in DRIVECLUB vary massively, with some that you can speed around in less than a minute and others that stretch on for miles. The longest takes 5 minutes end-to-end, even with your foot to the floor in any one of the quickest cars in the game!

We did try our hand at making even longer tracks and while it was possible, it was difficult to keep super long tracks feeling fresh and exciting, especially when you&#8217;re racing because the pack you&#8217;re racing with tends to break up the longer the race goes on.

We love racing wheels! We&#8217;re working closely with Thrustmaster to support their awesome wheels already and when Logitech support wheel peripherals on PlayStation 4 we&#8217;d love to support them in DRIVECLUB too.

Tanaki_Khan is right. We tested this because on paper it sounds really cool, but when you actually play at the real time of day for a while you lose a lot of the magic and diversity.

We allow you to customise the start time and the time compression (time lapse) in every race you set up, so you have lots of flexibility yourself.
DRIVECLUB is at its best when you&#8217;re connected, as you&#8217;ll always have fresh and exciting new challenges around every corner. It&#8217;s up to you how you play, when you play and who you play with. You can play solo if you want: online or offline. There&#8217;s a full single-player campaign for you along with the ability to set up your own events, which will all help you earn access to new cars and rewards. Everything is better when you&#8217;re online though, connected to friends and playing in a club, sharing every moment and competing in engaging challenges.

In DRIVECLUB every action you perform, whether that&#8217;s drifting in style, reaching insane top speeds or drafting an opponent to set up an overtake, you earn FAME.

When you earn enough fame you level up and when you do you unlock new cars to race with! The same goes for you club. When your club reaches specific levels you&#8217;ll earn new cars, which everyone in the club gets immediate access to. It&#8217;s a simple and focussed approach that allows everyone to help each other to earn more and play more.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/30/driveclub-update-evolution-studios-2/

velociraptor

That's not just your opinion, it's a fact.

WdA49KG.jpg

For now, if anyone thinks this looks better than DC is either blind or on crack.
Ouch, that looks pretty bad.

On a side now, all PC shots of Project Cars seem to be photomode style shots. Are there any raw gameplay screenshots of that game?

EGOMON

First GG with killzone SF then SP with inFamous SS and now EVO with DRIVECLUB they all delivered and one upped the reveal trailer for each one of them, it makes me wonder what the 3 top tech wizards under Sony will do this gen (ND, SSM, PD)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just saw the HQ trailer. It's a mighty fine looking game alright. I'm glad the devs decided to stick to 30fps.

jaypah

I really hope Logitech gets on board some way. I'll pay a "license fee" to make my DFGT compatible I just don't want to buy another wheel.

Also game continues to look bananas. Fuck that, DC is the whole produce department.

TheCloser

Banned
I'm looking at things like the volumetric clouds and I can't for the life of me justify 30fps. These sort of things could have been cut/faked and it would have had minimal effect on performance.
The game looks pretty, but not enough.
I hope no devs ever listen to you as you seem to have some bad ideas. Nobody likes a fraud and you're suggesting they fake it? Naa brah.

*This is not directed just at you but to all the 60fps complainers*
The devs do what they want to do and nobody is forcing anyone to buy the game. Just because a small group of people share a view point, that doesn't mean others share it as well. Why should the devs change it just for those people? The only people qualified to make decisions about what's best for the game is the devs. A game is essentially a project. It has a reason for existence, a scope, goals and the game is the final result of that project. You are presented with the game, you can either accept it or reject it. It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, but it's another to troll and beat a dead horse. They announced that the game would be 30fps and there was plenty of opportunities to voice your discontent. I'm quite sure that we have passed that phase now. By now everyone should have come to terms with the decision. The title of this thread isn't Driveclub fps discussion so can we stop turning every Driveclub thread into an fps discussion. If you want to complain about framerates, there's a thread for that. Just go look up the fps announcement thread and I'm sure everything you want to say has already been voiced.

I apologize to others for the rant.
/RantOver

FranXico

In DRIVECLUB every action you perform, whether that’s drifting in style, reaching insane top speeds or drafting an opponent to set up an overtake, you earn FAME.

When you earn enough fame you level up and when you do you unlock new cars to race with! The same goes for you club. When your club reaches specific levels you’ll earn new cars, which everyone in the club gets immediate access to. It’s a simple and focussed approach that allows everyone to help each other to earn more and play more.

Just wait and watch those FAME points popping up for sale in the PSN store...

You know, technical stuff aside, this game honestly has great art direction. Use of colors and lighting really is fantastic.

The color is what really impresses me. Like they've taken film color grading and applied it to the more dramatic times of day (sun rise, sunset, noon) which makes it feel natural even if it's a bit exaggerated. Like "beauty shots" car commercials and manufacturers use to advertise, but it's happening in (hopefully) real time. It's the kind of thing that can make a race on the same track with different ToDs look dramatically different instead of the dev simply sliding a meter. Pretty much what Infamous Second Son did with their visuals, but Evolution seems to have managed it without the loading.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I hope no devs ever listen to you as you seem to have some bad ideas. Nobody likes a fraud and you're suggesting they fake it? Naa brah.

The devs do what they want to do and nobody is forcing anyone to buy the game. Just because a small group of people share a view point, that doesn't mean others share it as well. Why should the devs change it just for those people? The only people qualified to make decisions about what's best for the game is the devs. A game is essentially a project. It has a reason for existence, a scope, goals and the game is the final result of that project. You are presented with the game, you can either accept it or reject it. It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, but it's another to troll and beat a dead horse. They announced that the game would be 30fps and there was plenty of opportunities to voice your discontent. I'm quite sure that we have passed that phase now. By now everyone should have come to terms with the decision. The title of this thread isn't Driveclub fps discussion so can we stop turning every Driveclub thread into an fps discussion. If you want to complain about framerates, there's a thread for that. Just go look up the fps announcement thread and I'm sure everything you want to say has already been voiced.

/RantOver

orson-welles-clapping.gif

FranXico

The color is what really impresses me. Like they've taken film color grading and applied it to the more dramatic times of day (sun rise, sunset, high noon) which makes it feel natural even if it's a bit exaggerated. Like "beauty shots" car commercials and manufacturers use to advertise, but it's happening in (hopefully) real time. It's the kind of thing that can make a race on the same track with different ToDs look dramatically different instead of the dev simply sliding a meter. Pretty much what Infamous Second Son did with their visuals, but Evolution seems to have managed it without the loading.

We don't know if they really managed it without the loading.

We don't know if they really managed it without the loading.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could set the ToD and the speed of the time lapse so it will advance while racing. That would certainly indicate transitions without loading. Would be impressive considering the kind of lighting + color displayed in these screens and the footage.

TheCloser

Banned
Isn't it going to be released as a cross-gen title?
it baffles me when people say that it looks better than Driveclub. It can look good in spots but it's visually inconsistent. The latest ps4 screens they released aren't in the same class as Driveclub. It looks like a crossgen game. One could successfully argue that both Forza 5 and NFS rivals look better.

FranXico

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could set the ToD and the speed of the time lapse so it will advance while racing. That would certainly indicate transitions without loading. Would be impressive considering the kind of lighting + color displayed in these screens and the footage.

Right, I forgot about that feature.

I guess it is very likely they do it without loading then.

jaypah

/RantOver

Nice post. I wish people would adhere to it, not just in DC threads, but across the board.

Top Bottom