• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

V_Ben

Banned
From Game Informer;

At San Diego Comic-Con, developer Sucker Punch admitted that due to negative fan reaction to the new-looking Cole MacGrath in Infamous 2, the team is going back to the drawing board to revert Cole's look to what he was like in the first Infamous.

Although it didn't show off any images of the new-old Cole, the developer said that it currently has a couple of designs in the works. Ironically, when we debuted the game in our exclusive cover story a few months back, Sucker Punch told us that it was changing Cole because of Infamous 2's new setting and the mixed fan reaction to the first Cole.

Infamous fans: Make up your *** mind already! Sucker Punch: While you're changing things up, could you change his name, too? Cole MacGrath is a horrible name.

For more on Infamous 2, read our cover story and check out a wealth of exclusive info on the game from our Infamous 2 hub page.

So, it sounds like all you people who complained are getting your way. Are you happy now? He'll probably look a bit different, but there you go! Old Cole is back.
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/23/new-infamous-2-character.aspx

Edit: Of course, they can't change the voice actor. So don't go hoping for that.
Edit 2: You can, however, listen to a new clip of cole's new voice, and it sounds pretty good, in my opinion;
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/07/23/first-glimpse-of-infamous-2-stylish-cut-scenes/

Trevelyan

Banned
Dear Sucker Punch,

Please don't listen to your fans. If I wanted to play as Nathan Hale again I'd go back to Resistance.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pretty awesome of Sucker Punch for doing this.

Barrett2

Just shave his head, put him in an Ed Hardy t-shirt, and a sweet pooka shell necklace, with a few thumb rings. That's a character i could identify with. *vomit*

Make him a Ginger like he was in the first game!!!! There are barely any Red headed protagonist in games. Hook it up Sucker Punch!!!!!

I don't need him to look exactly the same, but having pretty much no visual continuity between the two Coles was a real Darren Stevens situation.

Mrbob

Will OG Cole work in Infamous 2? He was gritty looking, similar to the city. Infamous 2 looks to be a lot more colorful and brighter.

I'm so stoked for this game after reading the big GI preview for Infamous 2. Sounds like Sucker Punch is going all out for the sequel. It also shown up at number 4 in the top 50 E3 games at E3 for Game Informer, highest Sony published game. In the blurb they talked about a form of destruction in the game. Said in the preview why climb a building to take out an enemy when you can just topple it. Didn't go any further so I don't know if there are just key buildings you can take down or if the whole city can be leveled. That would be insane though if it were the whole city. Imagine destroying a whole city on an evil run.

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah, cause that's what we needed. Another shaven, gruff protagonist.

I'd take a Nathan Drake clone over a Starkiller/Mass Effect default/Hale/Mercer/fuckton of other games clone.

Bunch of whiners.

Danielsan said:
Damnit. I preferred the new character model.
Fucking whiny fans.
They should make the new design an unlock or optional change in the options since it's already made. Doubt they will.

LiK

Einbroch said:
Yeah, cause that's what we needed. Another shaven, gruff protagonist.

I'd take a Nathan Drake clone over a Starkiller/Mass Effect default/Hale/fuckton of other games clone.

Bunch of whiners.
You get to enjoy his new
crap
voice tho.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
YES! Would be even better if we could get the previous voice actor, Jason Cottle, but at least the change will just assault the ears as opposed to the ears and the eyes. Thank you, Sucker Punch.

FHIZ

In 2002, when everything was "XTREME," turning cole into a more "Xtreme sports" lookalike would have worked.

Now back to generic scruffy "I don't want to be a hero" hero.

I liked the look of the new character art, and I think it's good for him to have hair instead of being yet another bald grimacing protagonist, but he shouldn't look like he isn't the same person whatsoever. Give him a head of hair, make him somewhat more attractive and less grumpy, but he ought to look like he still has the same basic facial bone structure.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
cjtiger300 said:
Make him a Ginger like he was in the first game!!!! There are barely any Red headed protagonist in games. Hook it up Sucker Punch!!!!!

How about a compromise. Let's have good Cole keep the brown hair he had in the original inFAMOUS 2 model, and have the evil Cole be ginger in this game.

kodt

Banned
1237687236272.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
jett said:
So he's back to being a hideous piece of crap. Yay.

judging by Zeke's "redesign", i'd say that they've gotten better at designing human faces. I'm sure they'll learn, and make a Cole that looks like the original one, but is better looking :p

Yeef

He should look like this:
0.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the new design, but I think going back to the old design would be a mistake. The problem with the new design is that it looks so different that it feels like a different person. Something in between the two would be ideal.

DaBuddaDa

Generic 30-something male hero with short brown hair designed to appeal to the core gamer demographic gets altered to different generic 30-something male hero with short brown hair. Whoopie.

V_Ben

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
Great. So now we know Infamous 2 will be focus tested garbage with no creative vision.

:lol

They're listening to the majority of the first game's fans. This is a GOOD thing :lol

-viper-

Banned
I'd be happy to accept a middle version between Infamous 1 and Infamous 2.

Also, I hope he has hair. If he is bald then no sale. Just kidding. I'll buy regardless of who is the face of Infamous.

I actually don't mind the new face but the clothes look stupid.

kodt said:

Disgusting..
Funny yeah that people complained about the new design, which wasn't much better but definitely some improvement from the usual generic designs. Can't have men with long blonde hair I suppose except Villains.

Don

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't need him to look exactly the same, but having pretty much no visual continuity between the two Coles was a real Darren Stevens situation.
This is how I feel about it. I didn't think that the new design was bad or anything, but he didn't look like the same character any more.

Massa

jett said:
So he's back to being a hideous piece of crap. Yay.

I'd like to think they're going to do a "make over" to make him look better, instead of looking like a completely different person.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is great news! I'm not saying that the old Cole is necessarily a better character than the new Cole, but I do want some continuity in my games. The new Cole didn't feel like the same character at all, which was weird.

Too bad we're probably still stuck with the new voice actor. Don't like him at all (for Cole), with how cool and edgy he is trying to sound. Cole is not supposed to be edgy.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Look, I don't have an opinion on the model one way or the other..

..but coddling the petulant whining of internet.. er, people.. is the exact opposite of what any person in a creative position should be doing.

ghostmind

Sucker Punch should have either stuck to their artistic vision with the first game character design, or stuck to the redesign. All this flip-flopping makes them seem weak creatively, and listening to "fans" is not usually a good thing.

bluedeviltron said:
Great. So now we know Infamous 2 will be focus tested garbage with no creative vision.

Wasn´t Infamous 1 already like that? I mean, there is a reason for Sucker Punch moving away from Sly Racoon games, it was hardly one the most original games during it´s release period.

Pretty lame actually. While not amazingly original, the new design was a lot better then the very crappy original design. Seriously, could you have a more generic character in not only look, but personality?

LosDaddie

Banned
Cry moar.

I just wanted Cole to, ya know, look like he did in the first game. NOt like some hipster douche who looks 10yrs younger.

But either way would've been fine though. I don't care what the protagonist looks like so long as the game is good (which inFAMOUS was).

Top Bottom