• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New content included in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS), DO A BARREL ROLL!!!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad the cover doesnt have fog on it. Not playing

Actually I still haven't even played my Wii version.

I did not think you were prone to be missing out on a great platformer, Wario! It's a damn good game, one of the best platformers this gen.

Persona 4 Golden should have been DLC for the PS2 version.

P4 had tons more content than this game is going have added to it, not mention dlc on PS2 yeaaah. Nintendo needed to beef their release schedule so they are doing re releases / re makes now. We have seen this with this game and WWHD. I expect more to come in the future. The reason I let the HD remakes get away is because theres a decent difference between the title and remake however the 3DS version of this game hardly looks different to the Wii version it actually looks worse.

boxter432

Definitely getting this, but DK's barrel roll isn't anything new. He could do that in the Wii game.

The release isn't saying the barrel roll is new (as obviously ground pounding isn't either...), it says new surprise after all the special stages are done.

Even though this post doesn't make any sense, I support the intent behind the statement.
Neither Wii nor PS2 games are capable of receiving DLC, so I do believe my comparison does make sense. I swear, people will make shit up just so they have an excuse to complain. Games get ported to other platforms frequently, so what makes this particular instance so reprehensible?

ohlawd

a good game gets a port with a reworked control scheme so now more people can enjoy it if they couldn't before.

why are people complaining again? :(

Jamix012

This is a cash grab and nintendo know it. The new content should be dlc.

What's so wrong with them releasing a game again? I've never understood that mentality. If you don't want it, don't buy it, it's pretty simple. I mean, it's not even on the same console, the people who buy this one are likely a different market who'll get to experience a game for the first time.
If you're complaining because you bought the original, it's been three years. I think that's enough time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What's so wrong with them releasing a game again? I've never understood that mentality. If you don't want it, don't buy it, it's pretty simple. I mean, it's not even on the same console, the people who buy this one are likely a different market who'll get to experience a game for the first time.
If you're complaining because you bought the original, it's been three years. I think that's enough time.

It feels like a completely useless port, and resources are devoted to it.

Out of all the Wii games... I like DKCR but this is just so unexciting to me.

3 years I would expect a sequel not this. I definitely would welcome more people being able to experience his game but its like if Sony released old ps3 games with added content on Vita. Its just obvious what they are doing and I will not support it. I definitely do not mind if other people support it because I know this is just my way of purchasing.

ChaosXVI

I'll wait for GAF to buy it first to see the extent of this additional content...then will buy, as the Wii game was fantastic, with a perfect balance of rewarding gameplay and challenge. I've never understood the complaints about the rocket barrel levels, they were never all that tough for me...

Sandfox

Retro Star Fox confirmed!

Dear Nintendo,

I have no friends. Please stop limiting multiplayer modes to local play. The internet is a thing.

-Mudkips

While it would be nice to have the option, online Co-op in a platformer sounds ehh.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Bought it on Wii, played a few worlds. It was fun, but I prefer sidescrollers on handhelds. I'll rebuy when I can get this for maybe $20. Or I suppose I could sell my Wii version and buy this one.

That's what I did, to make up for the difference. Didn't care for the stupid motion controls, so this should be great to revisit.

Semajer

Bought more than I had previously thought. I hope they add the virtual boy level, and a way to restart the time trials quicker.

Thinking about it, do you suppose the cartridge format will help to improve load times?

Do the graphics look better, worse, or the same with 3D?

There is a downloadable 3d clip on the 3ds eShop, so you can get to see. I think this game is better enjoyed on the tv screen, cause it has amazing details and on the little screen of the 3ds the kongs just look tiny in many instances.

AniHawk

monster is pretty good. too bad they had to clean up retro's mess, but at least this might be playable now.

Def Jukie

I'm going to laugh if someone collects everything in the game and the only thing that happens is the title screen changes to a pile of gold bananas.

"It's not the same game" - Reggie

a good game gets a port with a reworked control scheme so now more people can enjoy it if they couldn't before.

why are people complaining again? :(
Idk the game fills out the 3DS catalog nicely and should be a nice port. Unlike the donkey land games back in the day on gb. It will probably sale well too.

fernoca

Dear Nintendo,

I have no friends. Please stop limiting multiplayer modes to local play. The internet is a thing.

-Mudkips
Dear Mudkips,

We also have a vast selection of online games you can enjoy on your Nintendo 3DS (like Mario Kart 7, Heroes of Ruin, Kid Icarus Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations), including the series on which your username is based on. We also just released Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon which has a separate multiplayer mode you might enjoy.

Please visit www.nintendo.com for the latest news regarding your favorite (and online enabled) games.

-Nintendo

P.S.
You can use that thing called "the internet" to make friends; you need them.​

In any case, can't wait. I was planning on buying the Wii version again since I never got to finish it. Guess I'll just get this one.

Neither Wii nor PS2 games are capable of receiving DLC, so I do believe my comparison does make sense.

Ah, you're right. I now see exactly what you did there.

I swear, people will make shit up just so they have an excuse to complain. Games get ported to other platforms frequently, so what makes this particular instance so reprehensible?

No idea. Maybe just because it's Nintendo?

Bluth54

I wasn't planning on getting this, but depending on how much new content the game gets I might just have to buy it and replay it again.

serplux

It's almost like people forgot about the New Play Control series on the Wii. And Donkey Kong Country games have been ported to a Nintendo portable about 5000 times. It's keeping up with tradition. :p

BowieZ

Banned
I'll wait for GAF to buy it first to see the extent of this additional content...then will buy, as the Wii game was fantastic, with a perfect balance of rewarding gameplay and challenge. I've never understood the complaints about the rocket barrel levels, they were never all that tough for me...
In terms of platformers, I've found ppl seem to struggle with momentum inputs that have a weight imbalance or slow and varied rates acceleration etc.; those that make sense and are intuitive but require a knack to calibrate effectively.

If you're good at that, and are decisive in your actions (instead of fumbling between up and down or left and right etc) then you should ace those levels.

Other example: star ball rolling levels in Mario Galaxy.

I'd love to see Golden Temple become more of an actual Lost World like DKC2/3's then the single level it was in the final game. The cut VB-parody levels in particular would be awesome on the 3DS.

Just...just let him pass.
He's one of the last signing bastions for Michel Ancel love I see on this forum so I feel he's fine to have backwards ass opinions about more mainstream stuff.

Please add King K. Rool!

Please add King K. Rool!!

Please add King K. Rool!!!
Maybe as a secret final boss for Golden Temple? I wouldn't see it happening though
since they probably want to save him for Smash U

gerudoman

Tbh the only thing I care about this version is the framerate. 60 fps would mean an insta buy and getting rid of the Wii version.

Jacobbles

I will unashamedly double-dip with this, as the Wii version is one of my all time favourite 2D platformers and the only problem I had with it was the waggle. This version is portable AND has no waggle! I'm far more excited for this than I should be.

P4 had tons more content than this game is going have added to it, not mention dlc on PS2 yeaaah. Nintendo needed to beef their release schedule so they are doing re releases / re makes now. We have seen this with this game and WWHD. I expect more to come in the future. The reason I let the HD remakes get away is because theres a decent difference between the title and remake however the 3DS version of this game hardly looks different to the Wii version it actually looks worse.

A platform on handheld has a big plus over the home console version though, which is portability.

AniHawk

Just...just let him pass.

honestly, the worst part of the game probably won't be fixed, which is the weird double-jump timing thing. that had nothing to do with motion controls, so i doubt monster will touch it.

i genuinely enjoy the games i've played from them, though.

honestly, the worst part of the game probably won't be fixed, which is the weird double-jump timing thing. that had nothing to do with motion controls, so i doubt monster will touch it.

i genuinely enjoy the games i've played from them, though.
Yeah, that timed bouncing off enemies thing was a terrible idea, especially since they double stacked the button with Diddy's barrel jet input. I can't fathom why they changed it from the Rare DKC games where you just held it down.

Still, control issues and all I still personally thought DKCR > NSMBW.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No one here thinking the brand new content can be those Virtual Boy-like levels? No one at all?

virtual-boy-donkey-kong-country-returns-small.jpg

virtual-boy-donkey-kong-country-returns-cart-screenshot-small.jpg

Top Bottom