• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kagari and I have been told by two separate sources that whatever the third "Lightning Saga" game is will launch in the West (and probably Japan too) before Versus, yes.

Man, Square Enix are a train wreck of a studio these days. Embarrasing at times. They need to learn to finish a game before commiting to a new project. Learn from Naughty Dog - 2 studios, 2 mainline games concentrate all rescources on getting one finished before the other. I'll bet they've taken staff off Versus to knock out another XIII title to boot.

dramatis

Man, Square Enix are a train wreck of a studio these days. Embarrasing at times. They need to learn to finish a game before commiting to a new project. Learn from Naughty Dog - 2 studios, 2 mainline games concentrate all rescources on getting one finished before the other. I'll bet they've taken staff off Versus to knock out another XIII title to boot.
Doesn't seem like it. They're supplementing the XIII staff with assistance from Tri-Ace, which means the Versus team is probably mostly untouched.

They're also not just developing 3 FF games and 1 DQ game, there's other games in the pipeline. Committing all your resources to finish one game is not a good plan.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Square announced the Dec. release date for 13 at TGS.

The thing is, that there is no real marketing push about the title in terms of coverage or anything, which is a good sign that its still being worked on. For something this high profile when its close to being ready for the public you actually start to see some media appear but will have the release date still being set as a general timeframe if an exact one is not given yet.

With versus we have not really seen this yet, which is what also makes me think that there is not going to be a release date announcement. I could very well be wrong, but with this little info about the game itself. Dont think they will be letting the cat out of the bag just yet, though if anything might give a general time frame perhaps. Such as Spring 2013 for example.

Thats just how I see it though.

Doesn't seem like it. They're supplementing the XIII staff with assistance from Tri-Ace, which means the Versus team is probably mostly untouched.

They're also not just developing 3 FF games and 1 DQ game, there's other games in the pipeline. Committing all your resources to finish one game is not a good plan.

That's good to know if true.

I have to disagree about your second statement though. I think 2 games at once with 2 teams is a tried and tested development process that has worked very well for the majority of high profile Western developers. Concentrate on one title while doing the ground work on the second, release the first and then go into full production the the second, while beginning pre production on your next title. That allows a company to avoid development hell on one game because they announce it to early while juggling to many other projects.

BadWolf

Kagari and I have been told by two separate sources that whatever the third "Lightning Saga" game is will launch in the West (and probably Japan too) before Versus, yes.

At this point I think they very well might do FFXIII-3 as a final instalment to the FFXIII series and Versus is going to get renamed.

It doesn't benefit from having FFXIII in its title and if its as high profile as it appears to be then there is no reason not to rename it to a new mainline FF (FFXV).

Cornbread78

Hey everyone,

No one is more frustrated by a story being wrong on Kotaku than those of us who work at Kotaku. There's no long-term positive for us if we present a long story cited to anonymous sources that then is refuted by the CEO of the company whose game we wrote about.

I'm frustrated that, after giving Square-Enix three days to comment, they couldn't provide an answer as clear as the one their CEO did on Twitter today. If we thought our sources had burned us and lied to us, we just might out them, but that's not the case here. What is the case is that this situation always was murky and the details of our story explain that. Some questions about the condition and status of this game remain, obviously. For all we know, it still has been transformed into something other than what was initially announced.

At the end of the day, of course, we want you to be able to read a Kotaku story and trust that the reporting is accurate. We want any rumor we run to turn out to be true. In this case we tried for several days to get better details and official confirmation. We didn't start this from nothing. We started this from some talk from sources who have an inside track. We will continue to pursue these kinds of stories.

If you see doubt expressed within one of our rumor stories, then you can assume the story may turn out to be off in some way. It is on us to be clear about how things might be wrong. And, as in some other anonymously-sourced stories (as in most of our next-gen hardware stories), the lack of many or any qualifications should signal to you about how much more confident we are in those.

We won't always get everything right. But we will continue to be clear as can be about what we know and what we don't know.

Thanks for keeping up with our site and taking the work we do seriously.

That's a pretty accountable and stand-up thing to post.... I'll applaud that.

As far as the game, who knows, we're dealing with SE here. I did hear him says HD towns, which is pretty amaing, but has this transitioned into a PS4 title, or has the developement timeframe slowed down because it is now a multiplatform title
(PS3/360/Wii-U) and they need to loop all the systems together, similiar to the rumors that we heard about FFXIII, when they essential "dumbed it down" to make it a viable multiplatform title, that wouldn't be on 6 XBOx disks? Think of the megaton in waiting, this could be the first mainline FF game on a Nintendo system in quite some time, and could include reboots of FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

Carlisle

Damn, trying to get Wada to mention the word versus is like getting Newell to say the number 3. This is great news. I don't care what the game ends up being called as long as I get to play the footage I've been following for 6 years.

Now if only the western Type-0 could get a little attention...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not that surprised that Wada tweeted this information. His twitter is fairly transparent/personable from what I've seen. I wonder if this debunks the rename theory for Versus.

Well no shit its not cancelled.

Now you know what would be nice?

If they showed that presentation that they allegedly had to the people.

Letting people see your game is a good thing for everybody.

dramatis

That's good to know if true.

I have to disagree about your second statement though. I think 2 games at once with 2 teams is a tried and tested development process that has worked very well for the majority of high profile Western developers. Concentrate on one title while doing the ground work on the second, release the first and then go into full production the the second, while beginning pre production on your next title. That allows a company to avoid development hell on one game because they announce it to early while juggling to many other projects.
The difference between Naughty Dog and Square Enix is that Naughty Dog is a development studio, whereas SE is a large publisher. They're not just a developer, so they need to have their eggs in more than one or two baskets. The model SE should be following should resemble Ubisoft more than ND.

Moreover, originally Squaresoft was able to release multiple rpgs of different IP within short spans of time. While this is probably more difficult to do in the HD era, I think it's better to diversify your releases and not focus so heavily on so few IP. It's a gamble for their business, but it's definitely better for the consumer, since we get to play more and different games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey everyone,

No one is more frustrated by a story being wrong on Kotaku than those of us who work at Kotaku. There's no long-term positive for us if we present a long story cited to anonymous sources that then is refuted by the CEO of the company whose game we wrote about.

I'm frustrated that, after giving Square-Enix three days to comment, they couldn't provide an answer as clear as the one their CEO did on Twitter today. If we thought our sources had burned us and lied to us, we just might out them, but that's not the case here. What is the case is that this situation always was murky and the details of our story explain that. Some questions about the condition and status of this game remain, obviously. For all we know, it still has been transformed into something other than what was initially announced.

At the end of the day, of course, we want you to be able to read a Kotaku story and trust that the reporting is accurate. We want any rumor we run to turn out to be true. In this case we tried for several days to get better details and official confirmation. We didn't start this from nothing. We started this from some talk from sources who have an inside track. We will continue to pursue these kinds of stories.

If you see doubt expressed within one of our rumor stories, then you can assume the story may turn out to be off in some way. It is on us to be clear about how things might be wrong. And, as in some other anonymously-sourced stories (as in most of our next-gen hardware stories), the lack of many or any qualifications should signal to you about how much more confident we are in those.

We won't always get everything right. But we will continue to be clear as can be about what we know and what we don't know.

Thanks for keeping up with our site and taking the work we do seriously.

I don't think this post offers anything in the way of understanding how you got this wrong. Your rumour had a serious credibility problem by its very design--it purported to be able to accurately evaluate team morale at the development team (so it would have to be a development source from Japan), media strategy for reporting the news (implying the source was someone in PR or business development), and then you either speculated or reported about stock pricing (you didn't actually clarify if this was your source's speculation, your source's reporting, or your speculation).

You know who your source is. We don't know who your source was. Without even considering the actual rumour itself--that you reported the cancellation of a major game--did your source really seem like, based on their position in the company, they'd have access to the information you reported?

I highly doubt it. Saying "the situation is murky" isn't a mea culpa, it's an excuse. :/

Jarmel

Banned
The thing is, that there is no real marketing push about the title in terms of coverage or anything, which is a good sign that its still being worked on. For something this high profile when its close to being ready for the public you actually start to see some media appear but will have the release date still being set as a general timeframe if an exact one is not given yet.

With versus we have not really seen this yet, which is what also makes me think that there is not going to be a release date announcement. I could very well be wrong, but with this little info about the game itself. Dont think they will be letting the cat out of the bag just yet, though if anything might give a general time frame perhaps. Such as Spring 2013 for example.

Thats just how I see it though.

Oh I agree, definitely seems like they're still working on it and it seems unlikely we'll hear much at TGS. I was just wondering if people knew in comparison to where SE was on XIII and XIII-2 at a similar time frame whether a Dec. release(for Japan obviously) for Versus was possible.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not exactly related or not one interesting bit of info was that the SQEX stocks did have a low dip on the 18th of this month. Rumor on the 20th.

Only came across that info to see if the rumor had effected their stocks at all. From the 18th it went back up and on the 20th, which is when Kotaku posted their "rumor" is when things started slipping downhill again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/9684:JP
(Switch to the month 1M view)

*No real point behind this post asides just to share that.

Roto13

Of course it's not cancelled. Did anyone really believe it was cancelled?

Besides Kotaku, I mean. Good to know they're still awful.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think this post offers anything in the way of understanding how you got this wrong. Your rumour had a serious credibility problem by its very design--it purported to be able to accurately evaluate team morale at the development team (so it would have to be a development source from Japan), media strategy for reporting the news (implying the source was someone in PR or business development), and then you either speculated or reported about stock pricing (you didn't actually clarify if this was your source's speculation, your source's reporting, or your speculation).

You know who your source is. We don't know who your source was. Without even considering the actual rumour itself--that you reported the cancellation of a major game--did your source really seem like, based on their position in the company, they'd have access to the information you reported?

I highly doubt it. Saying "the situation is murky" isn't a mea culpa, it's an excuse. :/

Well said.

kayos90

I'm guessing Kotaku will be banned from Neogaf after this?.

Are these types of comments really needed? It wasn't even a proclamation that it was cancelled but a rumor article that was written speculating on whether it was cancelle.d

.la1n

Done and done.

Boss Man

I don't think it's a problem that a rumor was posted, labeled as a rumor, and turned out to be false.

The problem is that as soon as we saw the source, half of the thread said "Well, it's Kotaku so w/e." and some also noted the problems that the story presented up front. A rumor is a rumor, but if your site is posting rumors that everyone always expects to be false because of your track record, then that is a problem and people will continue to attack the site's credibility.

Diablos

Wada semi-redeemed.

Srsly, I thought it was shitcanned. This is great news. Hopefully it'll be released within a year.

Celegus

I have every confidence they're trying their best to make a good game. I really enjoyed the world presented in FFXIII/XIII-2, and would love to see it from a different angle. Making games is hard business, so I'm just happy we'll get to see it someday.

On one hand: I'm glad (and not at all surprised) that Versus isn't 'cancelled'.

On the other hand: If it was cancelled and the project was completely scrapped, it might have been the end for Wada.

Meh...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He should have showed a picture of the city.

8e5011b6.jpg

(Note: this is a real life image, not an in-game image.)

Aeana

Wada semi-redeemed.

Srsly, I thought it was shitcanned. This is great news. Hopefully it'll be released within a year.

You shouldn't have thought it was canceled.
But as I was saying before, that rumor sounded like a distortion of something else that's been rumbling. I think that next time Versus is shown to the public, it's gonna be different.

Go_Ly_Dow

8e5011b6.jpg

well there's already at least two confirmed city's (one tokyo inspired and the other a italian/venice inspired city) and they've mentioned several different towns throughout the worldmap. so there's a good chance he might not have been talking about the tokyo one. (which we've already seen before in its early stages)

kayos90

You shouldn't have thought it was canceled.
But as I was saying before, that rumor sounded like a distortion of something else that's been rumbling. I think that next time Versus is shown to the public, it's gonna be different.

It will most likely get a rename or something to that degree in nature. Nothing too drastic I assume.

jorgeton

Didn't think it was cancelled. I love how a nonchalant tweet cleared all this up.

I recently re-watched the last trailer they put out on Versus, and man, dem graphics look dated. I'm sure all this delay is to gussy it up a bit, make it look shinier than before.

Anyway, glad it's alive, and glad I'll be able to play it.

Shamdeo

What are the chances of this and FF XV appear at the 25th event?

Very, very, very little. Infinitesimal. I expect Versus to be at TGS, and not the anniversary event -- probably because any Versus news would eclipse a third XIII game announcement or FFXIV 2.0 information. As far as Final Fantasy XV goes, I consider it to be floating in the ether.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Very, very, very little. Infinitesimal. I expect Versus to be at TGS, and not the anniversary event -- probably because any Versus news would eclipse a third XIII game announcement or FFXIV 2.0 information. As far as Final Fantasy XV goes, I consider it to be floating in the ether.

This.

Although on the other hand, I don't expect XIII-3 to show up at TGS.

DJIzana

8e5011b6.jpg

Sigh... oh how I want to go back to Japan. ='(

Super upset I wont be able to go to TGS this year. =/

This.

Although on the other hand, I don't expect XIII-3 to show up at TGS.

I'm glad you think Versus will be the main focus at TGS. It only makes sense... XIII-3 will come but after Versus. At least, that's my line of thinking, too.

Muffdraul

Honestly, I'm more surprised that the rumor is false.

If you were to see the city etc. presented today, you wouldn't be able to stand from surprise, lol.

If you weren't so tight-assed about letting the public actually see things like that once in a while, there wouldn't be any basis for rumors of it being cancelled, you incompetent shitwit, lol.

Even though I despise how the gaming community feeds off baseless rumors, this was SE's own doing.

Then again maybe they're just not ready to do press on the game, which is fair.

This is fine and dandy but WHERE IS IT :(?! We're all dying over here man, they have to realize this by now. Wait... I guess they aren't, because they keep rehashing regular XIII. Either way, this is relieving. I just hope they show SOMETHING at TGS.

Seik

Banned
Anyway it would've been dumb to shit on a project that took (still taking) so much time to realize.

The total amount of time people invested on this is enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom