• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

You don't want more than 1 monk (and knight for that matter), because only 1 of them can learn the white mage skills.
Uhlan are awesome dd's, you should get at least 1. Also, you should get 1 Foebreaker for late/post game.
You can savely skip archer and machinist

Nope.

Okay, based on your advice and the guides in the OP, I've modified my party to incorporate both Foebreaker and Uhlan, while removing the additional Monk.

Vaan: Shikari/White Mage
Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran: Uhlan/Time BattleMage
Basch: Bushi/Knight
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Penelo: Black Mage/Red BattleMage

Thoughts? I am considering making Vaan a Shikari/Red BattleMage instead, but I am not sure how to readjust the party to maintain optimisation.

Atlantis

Okay, based on your advice and the guides in the OP, I've modified my party to incorporate both Foebreaker and Uhlan, while removing the additional Monk.

Vaan: Shikari/White Mage
Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran: Uhlan/Time BattleMage
Basch: Bushi/Knight
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Penelo: Black Mage/Red BattleMage

Thoughts? I am considering making Vaan a Shikari/Red BattleMage instead, but I am not sure how to readjust the party to maintain optimisation.

The reason Foebreaker / Shikari is popular is because it provides Genji Gloves to Shikari. However, the math shows Germinas Boots is equal or better than Genji Gloves for Ninja Swords, meaning you're best off combining your Shikari with jobs that provide Black Robes and Heavy Armor. (Red Battlemage, Black Mage, Bushi)

Optimization in this game is hard to pin down. In my opinion beyond having access to the overall three best non-cheese DPS options (Yagyu + Black Robes, Excalibur + White Robes, Kumbha) it really depends on what the player deems personally optimal.

The reason Foebreaker / Shikari is popular is because it provides Genji Gloves to Shikari. However, the math shows Germinas Boots is equal or better than Genji Gloves for Ninja Swords, meaning you're best off combining your Shikari with jobs that provide Black Robes and Heavy Armor. (Red Battlemage, Black Mage)

Optimization in this game is hard to pin down. In my opinion beyond having access to the three best non-cheese DPS options (Yagyu + Black Robes, Excalibur + White Robes, Kumbha) it really depends on what the player deems personally optimal.

With this party, will I be able to equip Yagyu + Black Robes, Excalibur + White Robes and Kumbha?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the Yagyu + Black Robes combination can only be equipped by a Shikari/Bushi.

Atlantis

With this party, will I be able to equip Yagyu + Black Robes, Excalibur + White Robes and Kumbha?

Vaan will be able to use Yagyu + Black Robes, Basch has access to both Excalibur + White Robes and Kumbha (+Genji).

Personally I like the ability to equip three different characters with those combos at the same time, but it's not necessary.

Vaan will be able to use Yagyu + Black Robes, Basch has access to both Excalibur + White Robes and Kumbha (+Genji).

Personally I like the ability to equip three different characters with those combos at the same time, but it's not necessary.

Thanks for your advice. So otherwise, my intended party makeup is reasonably solid? In the sense that it shouldn't give me too much trouble with end-game content?

Atlantis

Thanks for your advice. So otherwise, my intended party makeup is reasonably solid? In the sense that it shouldn't give me too much trouble with end-game content?

Oh definitely not. It's important to remember that the game was originally balanced for a party with only six classes total.

Anyone know how long it takes to get the Lu Shangs Badge from the fishing minigame? I beat Yiazmat and Mark XII and i'd like the Wyrmblade but if this is going to be a 4 hour pain in the ass i dont want to do it, i already have an exaclibur.

Einhandr

Anyone know how long it takes to get the Lu Shangs Badge from the fishing minigame? I beat Yiazmat and Mark XII and i'd like the Wyrmblade but if this is going to be a 4 hour pain in the ass i dont want to do it, i already have an exaclibur.

Save yourself the hassle and just steal it from Famfrit in trial #50.

Diablos54

So I'm currently at about the halfway towards Archades. This is probably one of my favourite sections of the game, just pure exploration.

...Gemhorn refuses to spawn. Can someone go over what is needed to spawn it? Everything in Site 11 is dead unless there's a hidden room somewhere.

...Gemhorn refuses to spawn. Can someone go over what is needed to spawn it? Everything in Site 11 is dead unless there's a hidden room somewhere.

Make sure that you have killed all of the mimic chests in Site 11 as well. I was running around for like 10 mins looking for enemies and found a mimic I had missed in the NW corner of the area near the gate switch.

Szadek

3 Rare games left, 2 hunts and the great crystal.
I should be able to finish the main game this weak, but trail mode could take a while.

I did all the rare game and hunts (scirver trophy popped) but it says i only have completed 22 hunts, whats going on?

Edit: looks like 8 of the hunts didnt give me a trophy, oh well.

I got 2 nihopaulas , 2 ribbons and 99 remedies, all my characters are 99, got all espers. Is there anything else essential for trial 100?

Im going to steal zodiac spear in the trial.

I'm only 15 hours in but this sure feels like a top 5 FF to me.

Agreed.

Going in, my top four was pretty much set, with a mix of the other games after that which I find difficult to rank (except for XIII at the very bottom; the only mainline that I outright dislike). At about where you are, I had the same thoughts, moving XII comfortably into my top five. A bit further in, I moved it to fourth, and after finishing it, I now am considering it at number three. So:

1. IX
2. VI
3./4. VII/XII
5. V

I thoroughly enjoyed replaying this game for the first time since the original release. Not sure if I like it better than VII right now, but my top two are probably untouchable at this point.

I just want another Matsuno story with Yoshida/Minagawa/Minaba art direction, Sakimoto music, and Ito game design. It doesn't have to specifically be Ivalice, either. A Tactics Ogre: LUCT followup would be amazing, for example. There is just something special about the art created by this group of people.

Jeels

I got 2 nihopaulas , 2 ribbons and 99 remedies, all my characters are 99, got all espers. Is there anything else essential for trial 100?

Im going to steal zodiac spear in the trial.

I don't have any nihopaulas or ribbons...I'm still doing Yiamzat but if anyone has recommendations on what should be had before going into trial mode I'd appreciate it.

I don't have any nihopaulas or ribbons...I'm still doing Yiamzat but if anyone has recommendations on what should be had before going into trial mode I'd appreciate it.

Provided you've done everything else in the game before tackling the full trial mode, there won't be anything you haven't seen and your previous strategies should work fine (if you can beat Zodiark or Yiazmat in the main game, you'll be fine with the trial versions). The one exception being trial 100 against the judges, you're going to want a nihopalaoa for that, as being able to inflict statuses reliably on them makes the fight much easier.

Jeels

Provided you've done everything else in the game before tackling the full trial mode, there won't be anything you haven't seen and your previous strategies should work fine (if you can beat Zodiark or Yiazmat in the main game, you'll be fine with the trial versions). The one exception being trial 100 against the judges, you're going to want a nihopalaoa for that, as being able to inflict statuses reliably on them makes the fight much easier.

I see its in chests in Pharos Subterra and Henne Mines, is it guaranteed drop?

Edit: NVM, got the two. Guaranteed to be in the chests, but the chests don't always spawn.

Szadek

1 nihopalaoa is mandatory for the final stage.
Ribbons aren't nessary, but extremly helpful.

You should also get at least 1 dark energy( you can craft 1) for the judges, but a few more don't hurt either.

Rektash

I have been trying to spawn a dark elemental in the Necrohol of Nabudis, Hall of the Ivory Covenant for the Vorres rare game for the past 90 minutes and it just aint happening. All I do is zone in and out, running through with flee and checking out if it spawned.

Am I missing something here? Kinda scratching my head at this point. This is supposed to have like a 20% spawn chance which is kinda hard to belive for me at this point.

[EDIT] Nvm, I finally got it. Well that was the most annoying rare game hunt so far. Thing is like impossible to spawn D:.

Deimo5

Is there a map for where the guaranteed item chests are in the Pharos? It's dark in there and I think I keep missing some.

yunbuns

I got to floor 81 but having not magic was kind of fucking me up. I think I'm feeling a little burnt out on this game and might just beat it then come back later to finish everything up. Either way this game is still a middle-tier FF for me after replaying it. I feel like the plot is really interesting until you get to Tomb of Raithwall and then it kind of goes downhill. It's not bad but it's just...there. Stuff like having the characters barely interact in any personal or intimate way is a real problem for me and why I could never consider this game great like others do. The first time Penelo has a direct speaking line to Ashe is at the very end of the game.

It's a beautiful game though at least.

Balphon

Should I wear the Diamond Armlet whenever I'm getting loot? I started getting a lot more knots of rust since then

Unless you're in Cerobi Steppe the Diamond Armlet chest loot is almost always going to be less useful than what you might get otherwise.

You'll get more gil, though.

Ponn

Banned
There's a diamond armlet in the westersands, among level 8 enemies lol. You can get it near the beginning of the game. (you can also get the one in trial mode at the beginning too)

I find the trial mode to be a bit of a detriment to the game because you can easily make yourself really overpowered very fast, which is kind of pointless and takes away any challenge. You can literally get an end game sword from the 3rd or 4th trial. It's silly.

As to your question, at your level, you should get quite far. Easily far enough to get to the boss who you can steal ribbons from. If I were you I would avoid it though until you've done everything, because like you said, you are already overpowered.

By the way for anyone who isn't aware, this site is your ultimate resource for treasure chest spawns and contents. If you ever wonder if there's anything worth going after in a particular map, this will tell you:

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/PS2/index.htm#FinalFantasyXIIInternationalZodiacJobSystem

Sorry didn't check back here so late reply but thanks for the advice. Yea i'm basically near end game so thats why I started the end game items hunts. I just don't have the time or patience like I did when I was younger to waste time on RNG stuff. If its something challenging like Hunts or Hunt Club or special bosses i'm all for that.

I got the plat!

Ok, so my strategy for trial 100 worked out pretty well. Obviously you are going to want everyone high level, preferably 99, with all Espers (or Zodiark for sure). You also will want 3 ribbons, 2 nihopaulas, and some decent weapons like Wyrmblade and Zodiac Spear (you can steal these during the trials).

Have someone with Remedy Lore 3 and Nihopaloa use remedies on all the judges (equip a ribbon after hes done), The other two should have ribbons, Cast protectaga at the start of the battle, have your healer dispelga and curaja constantly, have someone (preferably a tank) use Enemy:any/Witther and have him go around withering all the judges.

Have your zodiark user summon, , immediately use his final eclipse spell, have him heal if he gets hit and run away from the judges, when the animation is over use an elixer on him and do it again. By this time Ghis should either be dead or close to it, finish her off, cast protectga again and repeat this process until only Gabaranth and Zargabath are standing. Have someone equip Nihopaula and use sleep cure items to put Zargabath to sleep on one side of the arena, then take Gabaranth to the other. At this point you want to make sure Gabaranth is wither'd to the point to where hes only hitting for a couple of hundred, every 10-15 seconds go use the sleep cure item on Zagarbath to make sure he doesnt wake up and elixer Gabaranth.

Once Gabaranth drops go finish off Zagarbath. The only hard part is surviving the initial onslaught, once you do that you should be good.

I'm really glad this remaster came out, when i played XII on the PS2 i didnt think much of it, but the remaster really changed my mind, its a great game. And my 8th Final Fantasy Platinum =D

Szadek

Finished Trail Mode today after getting everything from the main game.
Awesome game, can't say I regret replaying it.
The plot is a lot better than I remembered, even if the storytelling is quite different from other FF games.

The final trial is my favorite boss fight in the series. It's very well design and a good test of the players skills.

My main issue with this version is, that with the new changes, the game is a bit too easy, since it's not rebalanced properly.
However, it's not really a big deal.

Top Bottom