• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official North American Lost Odyssey Thread

....man...watched the 1upshow segment.......ugh....I just don't understand how a bunch of 30 something year olds, can came off so effortlessly as annoying brats hanging out at their local Gamestop, talking purposefully loud so as that the other people in the store can here how "great" they think their conversation is....

.....Looking forward to a proper Gamersyde Diaries segment for LO

Teknoman

Something is strange...everytime I look at the NA Lost Odyssey thread, the commercial comes on in the background on one of the TV's at home. Strange coincedence.

Tailzo

Kafel said:
199328017520080207115736.png

Good deal for europeans
Ok, so it is multilanguage, and they ship it to Europe. But it says "for US consoles". So it is not region free, right?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to comment on whether this game will be good or not... but I just saw the commercials and whoever is running the marketing at Microsoft needs to rethink their approach.

Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" as a freaking song for the commercial? WHAT?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Hunahan said:
Yeah, ok.

I guess the question being raised is why game reviews seem so intent on knocking JRPGs these days for this fact when basically every other genre on the planet has worked itself into the same boat as well.

I mean, come on. Traditional JRPGs are tired and spent with one or two big productions a year at most, but FPS games with twenty releases a month are still fresh and vibrant? Sure.

Is Gran Turismo 5 going to be called out for this same fact? I highly doubt it. Oh, because racing games are evolving so quickly?

Or maybe I should just "spell it out" really "clear, concise" and "condescending" - the only thing really tired and old around here I can see is this complaint, to be honest.

Let me address this post thoroughly because you've triggered a lot of hibernating arguments within me.

First of all, I'd like to say that in the next month or so, I will purchase Lost Odyssey, new, from Target (as I have recently received a gift card). I'm excited for Sakaguchi's more refined and second release (albeit Sakaguchi had little involvement in the project, as with Blue Dragon relative to the other members of Artoon and in this case, feelPlus).

Secondly, let me establish this (as my own opinion). Games cannot always be broken down into genres. I'm aggravated when I hear comments like "Oh my God reviewer #4, this is a JRPG, derivative turn-based combat is 'okay.' Why don't you understand this?" Or, so you don't think I have some personal vendetta against JRPGs, I will quote a different example: "Oh, stupid reviewer C, this is a fighting game -- you need to make people count frames of animation or else the game is not good. And you need eschew online play because it will compromise the game's pace."

Genres are not a science. There is no formula that dictates the features that a particular game in a genre must have. JRPGs need not have any other quality than being made in Japan to be labled as "JRPGs." A game is bought and played based on the player minding the fundamental precepts associated with the nebulous genre. For instance, if I don't like shooting games, I will not play shooting games. Outside of that, when it comes to criticism and assessment of a game's quality, innovation should not come to the mind of the one who is charged with analyzing the product. Whether the product is entertaining or not is the only question the reviewer should be concerned with.

Let me put this, again, into a real-world instance to enhance my contention's coherency. Everyone here knows about the woman-molested-a-child court dispute a few years ago. And everyone remembers the verdict. Now, had the woman been replaced with a man, how may the outcome have changed? If a man had forced himself upon the child, would that be deemed just as unacceptable as if a woman had (and did) done so? Clearly, if we are to form the basis of the "correct response" on the results of the case, it is easy to infer that it is a more forgivable crime for a woman to be convicted of than a man. And that, unless you are in some way prejudiced, is absolute bullshit.

The "it's-okay-for-this-to-do-this-but-not-for-this-to-do-that" response lacks any base or foundation. It is fueled by bigotry and personal bias, both on the gamers side and, if it does occur in the realm of critics (which I have not witnessed but to concede a little bit and will not deny that it does not happen), on the critics side as well (you mentioned GT). Claiming that a JRPG's gameplay is tired, derivative, and banal and as a result, absolutely boring (which Lost Odyssey is not, I would firmly make note of), is as valid as criticisms get.

Why? The fact of the matter is, we as human beings (unless you are some stagnant, unchanging individual who lacks all optimism, ambition, and drive) grow tired of monotony. If I play Final Fantasy X four times in a row, I can promise you that I would rather end my life then spend another seemingly endless twenty hours, plowing through it again. I've explored and taken advantage of all the game has to offer and I'm mentally ready to move forward and on to better experiences.

My argument is with those who completely deny that banality can degrade one's enjoyment of a game -- people with all-knowing convictions that it doesn't matter if its exactly what was done before because no matter how many times you do something, play something, watch something, or eat something, it never gets dull. I will go so far as to say that this discussion does not even pertain to Lost Odyssey because the game incorporates fresh elements into its battle system, for me at least. The timed button-presses, the MMO front-and-back shield dynamic, and the ring system are a few the not innovations, but refreshing features thrown in to deviate from the norm.

Notice how I mentioned "for me at least." These elements have been present in RPGs before but I have not experienced them, or experienced them to such a short extent that they will remain fun for me. Timed button presses are nothing new, but to pull out a recent example, take Shadow Hearts: Covenant and its spinning-ring mechanic. What about the MMO shield feature? That's, well, been done in MMOs and probably more competently there than in Lost Odyssey considering MMOs focus on honing and fine-tuning features that are relevant to, well, MMOs. And the ring system is just another RPG's character adjustment system that deals with the rock-paper-scissor dynamic present in all other RPGs on the market.

I must make sure you understand me completely though: if critic docks a game for lacking originality or innovation but has an incredibly enjoyable time with the product, this is wrong. Lacking innovation should lead to a game unsatisfactory in the "fun" department but a "fun" game should not be misnomered as an avoid-by-all-means game if it lacks innovation. Innovation is not an afterthought in a review, it is an active gripe that should go on to explain why a game is NOT fun. A game can be critisized for not doing anything new (because new, unseen factors are what make games even more fun), but if the reviewer urges the reader not to purchase the product on this basis but admits to enjoying him or herself FULLY, this is unprofessional and unjust criticism. This harkens to the Gametrailers Lost Odyssey review: Gametrailers professed to having an immensely fun time with Lost Odyssey, despite its banalities in gameplay and urges the viewer to play the title.

Taking this in consideration in addition to the subjective nature of reviews, it should not strike anyone as "odd" if Lost Odyssey is received poorly. Believe it or not, there is someone out there who critisizes games for a living that has experienced the MMO shield many times, engaged in timed button presses since before he or she could remember, and assigned elemental attributes to characters of an RPG party. And this critic will be the one who states with the utmost clarity his or her review that "Lost Odyssey is not as enjoyable to play because its gameplay is not innovative." And if the individual has, in reality, experienced the derivative gameplay qualities of the game in question in games of the past, he is fully certified to make that criticism and cite it as a major drawback in justifying his overall assessment of the product.

I am aware you won't read this, but I thought it would be necessary to refute your post to make of point of saying that yes, and this may not be the case with Lost Odyssey, games can be less fun because of trite design. It's not some pretentious respect-garnering critic comment. It's a genuine means of justifying why a product of the entertainment software industry is not as fun as it would seem.

Teknoman

El_TigroX said:
I'm not going to comment on whether this game will be good or not... but I just saw the commercials and whoever is running the marketing at Microsoft needs to rethink their approach.

Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" as a freaking song for the commercial? WHAT?

Seriously. It may spark nostalgia in some, intrest in others, but the fact still stands it doesnt match the scenes being shown...and certainly not the theme of the game.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, they should've just used the main Lost Odyssey theme.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have the strategy guide. I guess I can answer questions about it if anybody is interested. I got it because I plan to experience as much of the game as I can in my first (and only) play.

Durante

dirtmonkey37 said:
[...]
Taking this in consideration in addition to the subjective nature of reviews, it should not strike anyone as "odd" if Lost Odyssey is received poorly. Believe it or not, there is someone out there who critisizes games for a living that has experienced the MMO shield many times, engaged in timed button presses since before he or she could remember, and assigned elemental attributes to characters of an RPG party. And this critic will be the one who states with the utmost clarity his or her review that "Lost Odyssey is not as enjoyable to play because its gameplay is not innovative." And if the individual has, in reality, experienced the derivative gameplay qualities of the game in question in games of the past, he is fully certified to make that criticism and cite it as a major drawback in justifying his overall assessment of the product. [...]
Great post. I'm now nearly finished with the first DVD and I'm having a great time, but the battle system is one of the weaker aspects of the game for exactly the reasons you bring up.

This is a shame because the game actually has a few somewhat challenging battles. On the other hand I've played many JRPGs in the later days of PS2 that had a very interesting battle system but no hard battles in which you were required to make full use of it. I think the 2 aspects may even be connected: if you have a more "simple" system it's easier to adjust the difficulty level on encounters than if you give the player a lot of options (that can have extreme effects on his party's battle capabilities in combination).

Yeah that commercial is pretty retarded. The "Gears of War" one worked cause the music effectively clashed with the pictures being shown. A sad song vs. scenes of war. The Lost Odyssey one is fantasy rpg vs. 80s pop music? Huh? Maybe if the song was good it would have worked but I wasn't a fan of the song either.

Darkman M

Synth_floyd said:
Yeah that commercial is pretty retarded. The "Gears of War" one worked cause the music effectively clashed with the pictures being shown. A sad song vs. scenes of war. The Lost Odyssey one is fantasy rpg vs. 80s pop music? Huh? Maybe if the song was good it would have worked but I wasn't a fan of the song either.

Walshicus

Synth_floyd said:
Yeah that commercial is pretty retarded. The "Gears of War" one worked cause the music effectively clashed with the pictures being shown. A sad song vs. scenes of war.
There's a clash between scenes of devastation and sadness?

The Lost Odyssey one is fantasy rpg vs. 80s pop music? Huh? Maybe if the song was good it would have worked but I wasn't a fan of the song either.
Eighties Pop?? ... You disgust me. :p

The song was released in 1967. It's a classic. The song is about altered states of mind. Lost Odyssey's theme is memory. It works.

Synth_floyd said:

WTF?

When were you born? That song is from the late 60's.

Synth_floyd said:
Haha I guess I was mistaken on the year of the music. Regardless I don't feel they match well.

If you think that's pop music regardless of the decade, you're mistaken from the get-go.

And what's funny is that the Gears song actually WAS a 80's pop music remake LOL.

ethelred

White Rabbit as 80's pop? Oh, god.

Synth_floyd said:
Haha I guess I was mistaken on the year of the music. Regardless I don't feel they match well.

You were wrong on the genre, too, unless we're classifying counterculture rock as "pop" now.

ethelred said:
White Rabbit as 80's pop? Oh, god.

He's cool with 80's pop for Gears, but doesn't think (in his mind) that an 80s pop song goes with LO?

Wrong all over the place. But we forgive him, this is GAF where we talk as experts on topics that we have 0 knowledge of.

ethelred

gregor7777 said:
...but doesn't think (in his mind) that an 80s pop song goes with LO?

Considering that Lost Odyssey has a song from Sheena Easton :)(), it actually would be pretty appropriate to advertise it with 80's pop music. I'm glad that Microsoft took the high road, though.

Teknoman

Right, the song's subject matter may match with the game's, but that still doesnt change the fact that it really doesnt quite mesh with the scenes used in the commercial. I dunno, theres just something about it that doesnt seem to match. Also about the way the song sounds, even if you were born in the mid/late eighties (raises hand) you can still tell the song has that 60's/70's asthetic just by listening to it.

Also for anyone thats heard the OST/know the track listing, does the second track on Disc 1 vaguely remind you of the Magitek factory theme in FFVI? The rhythm in the beginning of the track. Either that or one of the themes from FFVII (Shinra theme?).

guidop

I wasn't going to bite but the good reviews, positive opinions and the fact that I'm longing for a jrpg and some nostalgia means I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow or monday. Also at JB they have it for $79au

Durante

CurseoftheGods said:
I apologize if this was answered already, but does the US version have the Japanese voice-overs?
The screenshot answering that is on this very page of the thread. But since I sympathize with your concern I'll save you having to look 20 posts or so up and tell you that the answer is yes.

Durante said:
The screenshot answering that is on this very page of the thread. But since I sympathize with your concern I'll save you having to look 20 posts or so up and tell you that the answer is yes.

I thought it was a screenshot of the Pal version. Don't worry. Your post is still funny, though.

Teknoman

Any word on what that preorder downloadable item/mission is supposed to be? Going to go preorder on Monday (cutting it close I know) so im wondering if I should bug the Gamestop clerk if I dont get the information on release day (seriously Gamestop is getting really lax with recieving preorder bonus materials).

Since apparently I need to defend my formerly ignorant comments, I don't feel that the music and pictures match, regardless of what year they were made in or what genre they come from. Happy now? :D

Walshicus

purg3 said:
I have 3 download tokens for the bonus weapon/mission. PM me if you want one.

EDIT: All sent.
How did you get so many?

I know it's cheeky to ask but if anyone else gets a download token for the content that they don't feel like using, I'd be more than willing to accept. I can't help but think it's not going to be worth playing through the game a second time just for the DLC when it becomes freely downloadable.

Sir Fragula said:
How did you get so many?

I know it's cheeky to ask but if anyone else gets a download token for the content that they don't feel like using, I'd be more than willing to accept. I can't help but think it's not going to be worth playing through the game a second time just for the DLC when it becomes freely downloadable.
Same here.

Teknoman

Well since I was one of the lucky guys (see my preorder post for reasons why I asked) I guess i'll offer up my code if they remember to give me the info.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I preordered this game at Gamestop, should they give me a exclusive DLC card?

edit: Just called and they say I will get it when I pick up the game.

Llyranor

Okay, I just read 2 random 'dreams of a thousand years' excerpts through youtube. The storytelling and translation were pretty topnotch. The audiovisuals also added to the experience.

I'm picking the game up day1, but that was already in the plans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqgshy1s80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKpgOlRnKs4
These were the two random ones I watched(linked from someone in the Japanese thread). I guess they're technically spoilers, but they're really side stories having nothing to do with the main one. Avoid if you want a completely fresh experience, but otherwise they're pretty interesting if you want to see how they're like. I'm pleasantly impressed.

How many of these are there in the game, anyway?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just got an email from Amazon saying that the release date was changed to 2/13. When was it supposed to come out, then? I haven't been following.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
I just got an email from Amazon saying that the release date was changed to 2/13. When was it supposed to come out, then? I haven't been following.

Game was always slated to ship on 2/12

Bebpo

Banned
Llyranor said:
Thanks. Are those accessible through the main storyline, or do you have to do some sidequests to unlock them? Also, what are the DLCs?

Well, you have to find pretty much all of them but they are all located in the town/city/village areas in the main story. A few are harder to find then others though.

The DLC packs are 1 accessory + 1 story & then a cutscene viewer in pack #2. No additional sidequests/bosses/dungeons/weapons or anything unfortunately. The 2 DLC stories are pretty good though; DLC1's story is one of the best ones IMO.

Kaim = Scott Stapp total. :lol

I don't care if it plays like a 4-year-old RPG, I've been fiending for a decent next-gen RPG since Blue Dragon and this'll just have to do. I'm sure it's at least enjoyable.

mr stroke

Mejilan said:

sound about right, I would be suprised to see anyone in NA playing on tuesday, I doubt my local GS or BB will have until wensday night or thursday morning... :(

Top Bottom