• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Am I bad person for really liking this episode? It was silly & cute, exactly like it needed to be. I wasn't a huge fan of Sexy Mxy at first but he turned me around over the course of the episode. The actor did a lot of a nice little touches, like mirroring behind Kara when she was telling Mon-el to go away after the Parasite fight.

Some things I loved:
- A WHOLE NEW WOOOOOORLD
- Mon-el & Kara actually had some chemistry in this episode for once. Esp at the end of the episode.
- Alex & Maggie had some great scenes. Nice growth for their relationship. Alex looked fantastic in that dress at the end there. Oh, and I want to buy that robe she had before that.
- Hamilton Duel, absolutely love it
- He called her a "nasty woman." I had to pause the episode cause I was laughing so hard
- Kara (in her civilian clothing) literally yelled "I'm Supergirl!" in the DEO. So I'm just going to assume everyone there knows her deal from now on.
- James? James...are you there? Every principle cast member got a little lovey dovey moment except Olsen. Guess the ex-love interests can't be around with the new blood here

jb1234

I DESPISED this, to the point where I started skipping entire scenes. With all the manufactured drama off the charts, this episode made me hate Valentine's Day even more. Seriously, producers, writers. I beg of you, tone down on the relationshippy stuff. It's taken over the show and it is not written well.

The Mon-El/Kara fight was especially bizarre, a hurtful moment for both characters that was played for laughs with cheesy music, bad performances (surprising from those two actors) and the camera constantly circling. I've never especially felt Alex/Maggie were an interesting couple and now it feels that their relationship is the only thing that defines both of them as individuals. That's boring.

The actual main plot (Mxy) was completely drowned by everything around it. In this case, a very bad thing because it's the only aspect of the episode I was finding halfway entertaining. I think I'm just about done with Supergirl.

TN5lVdO.png

I think James can be rehabed, but it's clear that Catco is the vestigial tail of this show.

Maddocks

I can say I didn't miss James at all. Didn't even notice he wasn't around till the episode ended. Do more of that supergirl.

Count me among those who didn't miss James at all in this fun episode.

The show really made a great decision adding Chris Wood to the cast. Team Mon-El all the way.

MartyStu

I like neither James nor Mon-El. The show would be much better off if it removed both of them.

I am now fully team Wynn/Braniac 5.
Technically I am team Lena, but that ain't happening.

I would also be up for removing Catco, but I really like Snapper.

Joni

I like neither James nor Mon-El. The show would be much better off if it removed both of them.

I am now fully team Wynn/Braniac 5.
Technically I am team Lena, but that ain't happening.

I would also be up for removing Catco, but I really like Snapper.

Keep Catco, write out James by focussing on the newsroom.

This week's DC Comics Easter Egg -

Winn's new girlfriend is from Starhaven. In DC Comics, Starhaven is home to Native Americans who were abducted by the planet's native inhabitants in the thirteenth century. The humans on Starhaven are all metas with long-range tracking powers, wings, and the ability to survive in deep space. The Legion of Superheroes member Dawnstar is from Starhaven.

LotusHD

Banned
Starting to get annoyed with this show now (Well, more annoyed lol)

Episode felt utterly pointless. It's not even like I hated it, it's just that knowing that not much is really going on this season, and it still lacking a big bad to look forward to being defeated (Unless it's Lena or something, but eh..), I can't help but wonder why they're doing episodes like this instead of setting it up. If that stuff were already in place, I wouldn't mind it, but it's not, so I'm like "Why tho"

But yea, I can tell that I'm starting to get fed up with the show, because now even Alex and Maggie are slowly getting on my nerves, despite me normally finding their relationship adorable. Also this show continues to be so childish in how it handles its relationships, which is saying something considering how the other CW superhero shows do it.

MartyStu

Episode felt utterly pointless. It's not even like I hated it, it's just that knowing that not much is really going on this season, and it still lacking a big bad to look forward to being defeated (Unless it's Lena or something, but eh..), I can't help but wonder why they're doing episodes like this instead of setting it up. If that stuff were already in place, I wouldn't mind it, but it's not, so I'm like "Why tho"

But yea, I can tell that I'm starting to get fed up with the show, because now even Alex and Maggie are slowly getting on my nerves, despite me normally finding their relationship adorable. Also this show continues to be so childish in how it handles its relationships, which is saying something considering how the other CW superhero shows do it.

Yeah, I think I am pretty much as done as I was near the end of season 1. I am here solely for Winn and Lena.

And the A plot was actually a lot of fun, but the B and C plots were WAYYYYY too on the nose. None of these three plots should existed within the same episode.

caliph95

Relationships in general were never great in Supergirl so when you get a Valentine episode focused on that you get this episode.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I think I am pretty much as done as I was near the end of season 1. I am here solely for Winn and Lena.

And the A plot was actually a lot of fun, but the B and C plots were WAYYYYY too on the nose. None of these three plots should existed within the same episode.

At this point, I'm literally just watching it because I'm already everything else in the Arrowverse.

Relationships in general were never great in Supergirl so when you get a Valentine episode focused on that you get this episode.

I know, but damn, this show makes it so easy to make fun of it sometimes.

Remember this SNL parody trailer of a female lead superhero film which came out 10 days before Supergirl's first trailer? It's too bad the people in charge of the show didn't seem to take it to heart after not only its response but the backlash that trailer received for featuring so much of what it was mocking. It feels to have gotten worse along with the writing since the show moved to the CW.

caliph95

Remember this SNL parody trailer of a female lead superhero film which came out 10 days before Supergirl's first trailer? It's too bad the people in charge of the show didn't seem to take it to heart after not only its response but the backlash that trailer received for featuring so much of what it was mocking. It feels to have gotten worse along with the writing since the show moved to the CW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cMcKqrNTus

OMG that trailer it was alot of my fears with the show in one video i had to check it was a sewuel to black widow parody.

I think some relationships thing is a CW thing. I thought Season 1 was rough but it seemed more consistent and focused than Season 2.

I don't know how much longer I can keep going with this show.
I was behind 3 episodes, finally watched them.
Get a decent episode last week now I was watching this episode halfway through they start arguing in the middle of the DEO and I just turned it straight off.

Its like Arrow S3&S4 Felicity levels of groan/cringe currently.

I feel like this show better suited to be cute and happy with the occasional doom.
Thats a problem though because it isn't.
Its 90% relationship drama, 10% happy relationship.

And then this episode goes and throws every single character's current romantic plot at you.
This episode is like being beat over the head with its worst elements.
Even the friendzone'd friend gets a hookup suddenly out of nowhere

Its quickly losing its superhero label with me an devolving into a drama/soap with a Supergirl skin on it.
At which point Lois and Clark was a far better show.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Never saw that before but boy, they nailed it.

Makonero

Super fun episode. The writing was well done, specifically Mxy's dialogue. Good work, Sterling Gates!

I'm still a fan of Mon-El and I'm happy to see him grow a bit. I love the line, "Things were easier on Daxam when I objectified women and didn’t care about anyone." He is growing and Kara is right to be frustrated when he doesn't listen.

And I'm so glad she did have a plan to trick Mxy. That's always the great thing about Supergirl/Superman, they have a bunch of powers, but they're also clever.

carlsojo

This was a great standalone episode.... again. Meanwhile Green Arrow, Flash, and the Legends all continue to do real superhero work. When is Supergirl going to get something to do?

Makonero

I mean, that was largely the point?

Yeah I feel like a lot of the commentary around this episode was "Ugh, Supergirl had two men fighting over her" and I'm like, did you watch the episode? The whole point was that she could (and did) take care of it herself and Mon-El needed to trust her.

LotusHD

Banned
This was a great standalone episode.... again. Meanwhile Green Arrow, Flash, and the Legends all continue to do real superhero work. When is Supergirl going to get something to do?

*shrugs

Yeah I feel like a lot of the commentary around this episode was "Ugh, Supergirl had two men fighting over her" and I'm like, did you watch the episode? The whole point was that she could (and did) take care of it herself and Mon-El needed to trust her.

Yea, but it's like, dude, your girlfriend is stronger and smarter than you, why are you doubting her to begin with.

Makonero

*shrugs

Yea, but it's like, dude, your girlfriend is stronger and smarter than you, why are you doubting her to begin with.

Mon-El is a big dumb dude. Plus, he actually had met and knew about 5th dimensional imps. I can see why he would, even though he was wrong. Characters are allowed to be flawed.

jph139

Really did not enjoy that one at all... but the romance subplots have always been the most embarrassing part of Supergirl so making an episode that revolves around it was never going to work.

Mxyzptlk was pretty solid though. I was a bit worried they'd make him more suave than he deserves, but he was really just SO obnoxious, so I was pleasantly surprised there.

carlsojo

Really did not enjoy that one at all... but the romance subplots have always been the most embarrassing part of Supergirl so making an episode that revolves around it was never going to work.

Mxyzptlk was pretty solid though. I was a bit worried they'd make him more suave than he deserves, but he was really just SO obnoxious, so I was pleasantly surprised there.

Mxy was awesome and would be a dope villain for a crossover episode.

I just thought this episode was ok. The only thing I really enjoyed was the portrayal of Mxy. This season started strong but its been pretty aimless for a while. It also needs more Lena.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
man wasted potential for a villain arc.
I would have like to see a build up for an episode t

They gotta do something big or interesting with the Luthors at this point. Some of this show's decisions are bizarre, to say the least. They spent quite a few episodes with James' arc but now he's getting ignored. They did really minor teases about Mon-el's past and people being after him but nothing on that recently. Why not check back in with them really quick? Literally 30 seconds to a 1 min about them being close to earth or something...

It's almost like this show can't juggle more than one storyline at a time. Even though Flash relied heavily on these Reverse Flash stingers in Season 1, they did build up Wells in episodes where his villainy wasn't the focus. Supergirl just wants to do the cheap stingers

caliph95

They gotta do something big or interesting with the Luthors at this point. Some of this show's decisions are bizarre, to say the least. They spent quite a few episodes with James' arc but now he's getting ignored. They did really minor teases about Mon-el's past and people being after him but nothing on that recently. Why not check back in with them really quick? Literally 30 seconds to a 1 min about them being close to earth or something...

It's almost like this show can't juggle more than one storyline at a time. Even though Flash relied heavily on these Reverse Flash stingers in Season 1, they did build up Wells in episodes where his villainy wasn't the focus. Supergirl just wants to do the cheap stingers

It seems like they had no real plan. Season 1 felt like it was planned this season felt like they had general outline and idea on what story lines they are going to do and winging it otherwise.

Grizzlyjin

It seems like they had no real plan. Season 1 felt like it was planned this season felt like they had general outline and idea on what story lines they are going to do and winging it otherwise.

Maybe they don't know what kind of show they want to be. I think people liked Flash so much because it embraced the crazier aspects of that characters roots. Supergirl right now is just low rent reskinned Superman stuff. I like the main cast but it doesn't feel like the show really cares too much about its comic roots. They just pull character names out of a hat and say "Oh that's Cyborg Superman!" or "That's Mon-el" but really they're just generic soap archetypes that they've put DC names on. Just make up new stuff if you need to change the characters so much.

That's why I like Lena Luthor so much, cause she feels like something that fits well with this show. She isn't an original creation but her existence here makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom