• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

ultrazilla

No problem at all, any help you can give is appreciated! To be clear, are you saying that you play on a 4K screen, but it looks like enhanced 1080p, or do you play on a 1080p screen and can't see any obvious signs of downsampling? If the former, screenshots at 4K would be most helpful. Thanks in any case!

Sorry for the long hiatus from the thread. I've now update the OP, and added 6 titles to the lists (plus Prey as unchanged). There's been a lot of smaller releases recently that I haven't had time to check. I'll get to those as I can. In the meantime, any screenshots, videos, or impressions you can post here or link to will always be beneficial. Sincere thanks!

I play on a native 4k hdr enabled 50inch television. I just can't reconcile that the game is running in native 4k resolution on my tv at the extremely high 60fps or so framerates. There's super high end computers that can't run native 4k/60fps. I have a i7-7700 @3.60ghz(8 cores) 16gig memory, 2 terabyte memory, 64 bit Windows 10, MSI 1070 8 gig graphics card and none of my games hit 60fps in 4k. So I must be doing something wrong with my comp or I'm wrong on the PS4 Pro Bullet Storm Native 4k support.

philm87

I play on a native 4k hdr enabled 50inch television. I just can't reconcile that the game is running in native 4k resolution on my tv at the extremely high 60fps or so framerates. There's super high end computers that can't run native 4k/60fps. I have a i7-7700 @3.60ghz(8 cores) 16gig memory, 2 terabyte memory, 64 bit Windows 10, MSI 1070 8 gig graphics card and none of my games hit 60fps in 4k. So I must be doing something wrong with my comp or I'm wrong on the PS4 Pro Bullet Storm Native 4k support.

There's a lot of things a windows computer has to run in the background that a PS4 PRO doesn't though. Also, every PS4 Pro is the same so it's much easier to optimize it for, whereas there's countless combinations of hardware on PC's.

Remember that Bulletstorm, even in its Full Clip version, is fundamentally a last-gen game. Even a couple current-gen sports games run at 4K60 on Pro, and several current-gen FPS games run with 2160c60. On the other hand, no remasters hit both at the same time, even though one of them (Darksiders) implied it did before release, just like Bulletstorm.

We can settle it, if you post some 4K gameplay screens. If you want to save as PNG, they'll be enormous, but you should be able to post to Giphy without compression. It might be easier to just set your Pro to JPEG, though, and then you can post most anywhere (I use Abload; site's in German, but just drag pics to the "Bilder von der Festplatte" option). As long as the shots aren't recompressed, I should still be able to pixel count them and get an answer.

Great thanks if you can do this!

RedAssedApe

Banned
First Pro enabled game I got was Rise of Tomb Raider and boy that game is still one of the best implementations of a Pro patch. High frame rate mode, enhanced 1080p mode and a 4K mode. I ended up enjoying the 4K mode even though the frame rate boost was good because all the shimmering and aliasing pretty much got eliminated in 4K.

same here. it was such a head leap in image quality over the other modes

Pimpbaa

Are we sure that Injustice 2 has no 1080p benefits? Because no other game that does this ramps up the fans like Injustice 2 does on my 1080p tv. Hell most games with good pro support don't rev up the fan as much as this game (for me at least).

Tyaren

Are we sure that Injustice 2 has no 1080p benefits? Because no other game that does this ramps up the fans like Injustice 2 does on my 1080p tv. Hell most games with good pro support don't rev up the fan as much as this game (for me at least).

We don't know. No one cared to ivestigate that yet. I hope Digital Foundry or NXGamer do a comparison.
You probably agree with me that apart from hardly noteworthy aliasing (and that only sometimes) the IQ is really good on Pro on a HDTV. So either there is downsampling or they implemented a really good AA solution in Pro 1080p mode or the standard PS4 version already looks this clean as well. Which would imo be very impressive, but something I kinda doubt.

Ferr986

It can ramp up the fans even at 1080p, depending on how the engine is coded I guess.
For example, Dark Souls 3 was silent as fuck pre-patch, post patch it does some noise (not crazy noise but it's def a notable difference) and that was just a 30 to 50 fps patch, no upgrade res included.

I dunno about Injustice, of course.

We don't know. No one cared to ivestigate that yet. I hope Digital Foundry or NXGamer do a comparison.
You probably agree with me that apart from hardly noteworthy aliasing (and that only sometimes) the IQ is really good on Pro on a HDTV. So either there is downsampling or they implemented a really good AA solution in Pro 1080p mode or the standard PS4 version already looks this clean as well. Which would imo be very impressive, but something I kinda doubt.
The standard PS4 version does have pretty good AA as well. That's why, despite the fact that I did analyze the game, I can't say for certain whether downsampling is in. The bits of aliasing on Pro--no matter how minor and transient they are--suggest it isn't, though. I'm not sure this is something that can be definitively answered by just visual evaluation. We might need the dev to say.

philm87

Getting back into the Division after a long while. They've made a lot of improvements since release. Blown away by how awesome it looks with enhanced res on the PRO. Also noticed there's an option been added at some point for 'neutral lighting', which basically turns off enhanced ambient lighting, think this makes it look much better with this on.

Dragon Quest heroes II has an option for enhanced graphics on ps4 pro. I don't have the game yet, and I can't find someone who can say what the enhancements are, but people that have tested it say that it somehow kills the framerate, while it's perfect 60 fps in normal mode

SlickVic

DF recently put up their Injustice 2 article:
Injustice 2 on PS4 Pro is the best way to play

This is what they mention on the subject:

For those on older 1080p displays using PS4 Pro, pixel counts are a mixed bag; half of our test shots reveal super-sampling from a higher resolution in effect, while the other half shows a pixel structure closer to 1080p. In either case, image quality is clearly improved next to a regular PS4 outputting at the same resolution, and we're very happy with the final image.

Full article goes into more detail regarding the enhancements for shadows, motion blur and texture resolution

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone cast some light on this:

uncharted4athiefsendn1ozj.png

Does this mean that only on Pro, some cutscenes are prendered, and at 60FPS? I don't get this, where does this info come from?

Gator86

Prey is now on version 1.03 and still has no Pro enhancements.

I've read performance is even worse.

I highly doubt it will ever get anything. You don't release a game without features, have it bomb, then put a team on support for a small base of consoles that allow the features.

Almost everything written above is a goddamn shame because Prey is amazing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Friday the 13th won't be optimized for the Pro, at least at launch. Understandable considering how small of a team they are, but it's still a bummer nonetheless :(

Just got a pro a couple of days ago but don't have a 4K tv(was planning to buy both at the same time but my impatience got the best of me)

So how do I make the most out of my 1080p tv?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Does this mean that only on Pro, some cutscenes are prendered, and at 60FPS? I don't get this, where does this info come from?

MP is 60 FPS on both. Uncharted 4 uses pre rendered 1080p video files for some cut-scenes, so they'll still be 1080p even when the rest of the game is 1440p on the Pro.

DapperSloth

Ok guys...

I am really confused. I need some help here.

I have a PS4 PRO and an LG OLED B6 55".

I don't care about high FPS (I play games at 25-30 FPS no problems). I want to get the best picture/Image Quality/Effects out of a game as possible. What do I do?

For example with games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Rise of The Tomb Raider. What modes do I activate in the games? Performance Mode? 4K Mode? And do I set my TV to 1080p so it downsamples or leave it at it's native resolution? So many questions!

Thanks for your time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ok guys...

I don't care about high FPS (I play games at 25-30 FPS no problems). I want to get the best picture/Image Quality/Effects out of a game as possible. What do I do?

For example with games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Rise of The Tomb Raider. What modes do I activate in the games? Performance Mode? 4K Mode? And do I set my TV to 1080p so it downsamples or leave it at it's native resolution? So many questions!

Thanks for your time.
4k for the TV and the 4k modes for those games will give you the best results.

Ok guys...

Thanks for your time.

If your TV is 4k just set the PS4 Pro resolution setting to 2160p (4k) and you are good to go. Then it just depends on the game, some games have options for performance (better framerates) or quality (high resolution) other games just have a set mode for the Pro depending on resolution setting.

No need for downsampling on a 4k TV, so don't worry about that, that's really just for 1080p screens, so when a game runs at 4k, you get some of the benefits of 4k resolution on a 1080p screen.

DapperSloth

4k for the TV and the 4k modes for those games will give you the best results.

Alright, thanks alot.

But I just saw that gif of Horizon in Perfomance Mode in this thread and it adds better shadows, cleaner textures and better AA than the 4K Mode as I understand it. What is the benefit of using 4K Modes instead of Performance Mode in games?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Alright, thanks alot.

But I just saw that gif of Horizon in Perfomance Mode in this thread and it adds better shadows, cleaner textures and better AA than the 4K Mode as I understand it. What is the benefit of using 4K Modes instead of Performance Mode in games?
The resolution bump is huge and both modes have better textures in Horizon. It's a significant difference.

Some games' performance modes are 60fps, so that's more of a personal preference but Rise of the Tomb Raider can't hold it well and Horizon is 30fps in both modes and holds it well.

On both consoles, some cutscenes are prerendered. There's not separate versions for Pro, so those scenes are 1080p even when the gameplay is set to high resolution, hence my footnote. The 60fps statement, however, is a typo by me--it should say 30fps. I'll fix it when next I update, sorry for the confusion.

All of the comparisons in the OP are Pro versus standard PS4, not Pro modes versus each other. In Horizon, both Pro modes improve textures, LOD, and AF. The "Performance" mode also adds MSAA, and slightly better versions of reflections and DOF filtering. However, it loses supersampling, so it's more equivocal than you might think. It also has a very slightly better framerate, but the game already doesn't drop often or far so this too isn't a very big advantage. Check them both out to see what you personally prefer, but most folks seem to think the high-resolution mode is more impressive on a 4K display.

mitchman

Gold Member
Alright, thanks alot.

Make sure you also enable UHD Deep Color for the HDMI input the PS4 Pro is connected to.

valkyre

As a PS4 Pro owner I am extremely disappointed by the support.

I mean its really laughable at best. Sure the occasional gem comes up, but overall this is just bad... we even have exclusive games not having Pro support... absolutely crazy.

And Sony doesnt even seem to give a fuck about it...

Raiden

Banned
Just bought a Samsung KS9000 the 55 size. Coming from a 10 year old plasma my mind is blown. Horizon looks stupidly good.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I mean its really laughable at best. Sure the occasional gem comes up, but overall this is just bad... we even have exclusive games not having Pro support... absolutely crazy.

Realistically, what would you have them do? Refuse to release a game on PS4 generally until support -of some undetermined nature- is added for a variant SKU that makes up only a small percentage of the platform's install-base?

Better question would be: which are not? Basically all of them are pre-rendered; except short in-game stuff.

I beg to differ. It's not because you can't controll your character it's pre-rendered. Most of the U4 cutscenes are realtime. Although all the animations of the cutscene are set in stone and highter quality lightning is used, everything is still rendered realtime by the ps4.

Carn82

I think you're misinformed... most UC4 cutscenes are real-time (it saves space).

ah, just did some googling; I stand corrected. I thought I saw some typical compression artifacts when I played through the game, that + lack of photomode options during the scenes, hence my train of thought.

Shari

Sony can't do shit about it since it's asking the third party to put in the work they didn't do.

Lackluster support for the console with the smallest park of the pack on multiplat games, what a big surprise.

People fooled themselves. Those who bought for the first party game support got it right.

Tyaren

Can Liabe Brave update Injustice 2? :) The game's Pro enhancements are 1440p resolution, better motion blur, better ambient occlusion, better shadows and better texture filtering. For 1080p TV users something strange is going on though. Digital Foundry reported that there is downsampling, but apparently not at all times, the IQ is however definitely improved over base PS4.

valkyre

Realistically, what would you have them do? Refuse to release a game on PS4 generally until support -of some undetermined nature- is added for a variant SKU that makes up only a small percentage of the platform's install-base?

Of course and I am not suggesting that Sony's course of action should be not to release a game at all on Pro... but there is a difference between that and showing no interest at all in trying to push a few buttons.

Sony can't do shit about it since it's asking the third party to put in the work they didn't do.

Lackluster support for the console with the smallest park of the pack on multiplat games, what a big surprise.

People fooled themselves. Those who bought for the first party game support got it right.

Sony's promise was crystal clear. And on many occasions it has failed. Royally.

Yes there are even first party exclusive games that have no support for the Pro at all. Nada.

Sony should be trying to be more vocal about this towards devs. They have ways to try and press devs support the Pro at least decently. This doenst include threats or extortion tactics. Just good and healthy collaboration.

THis should never be acceptable by the gaming community and I am of the opinion that we should be vocal to Sony about it and try and improve the situation. I mean where is the harm in that really? It can only get better...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Of course and I am not suggesting that Sony's course of action should be not to release a game at all on Pro... but there is a difference between that and showing no interest at all in trying to push a few buttons.

Sony's promise was crystal clear. And on many occasions it has failed. Royally.

Yes there are even first party exclusive games that have no support for the Pro at all. Nada.

Sony should be trying to be more vocal about this towards devs. They have ways to try and press devs support the Pro at least decently. This doenst include threats or extortion tactics. Just good and healthy collaboration.

THis should never be acceptable by the gaming community and I am of the opinion that we should be vocal to Sony about it and try and improve the situation. I mean where is the harm in that really? It can only get better...

It will get better once the Scorpio releases and there is more incentive for developers to acftually create multple versions of their games. I generally agree with you but the reaity is creating games is never an easy feat with or without Sony's help and adding Pro support is probably so low on the list of things a developer wants to have finished and ready by the time a game launches I'm not surprised many put the bare minimum in. Hell some games have serious tech and other issues on the regular PS4, let alone the Pro.

valkyre

It will get better once the Scorpio releases and there is more incentive for developers to acftually create multple versions of their games.

To be honest thats were all my hopes are at the moment. I actually cant wait for Scorpio to release and give Sony some good competition. Cause otherwise I really feel like Sony doesnt give 2 shits about Pro owners.

HStallion

To be honest thats were all my hopes are at the moment. I actually cant wait for Scorpio to release and give Sony some good competition. Cause otherwise I really feel like Sony doesnt give 2 shits about Pro owners.

This really has nothing to do with Sony though, its just more incentive for developers to create multiple graphics options for console games when there are two high performance consoles on the market.

valkyre

This really has nothing to do with Sony though, its just more incentive for developers to create multiple graphics options for console games when there are two high performance consoles on the market.

I think Sony would also be in a tighter spot. So maybe they push a few buttons here and there.

Sorry, but I don't buy this. They already have higher graphical presets for PC games. Also, lack of supersampling has nothing to do with this.

It's just a classic case of zero competition. Same thing with the lackluster PS+ line-up (compared to XBL Gold). Scorpio is going to heat things up.

HStallion

Sorry, but I don't buy this. They already have higher graphical presets for PC games. Also, lack of supersampling has nothing to do with this.

It's just a classic case of zero competition. Same thing with the lackluster PS+ line-up (compared to XBL Gold). Scorpio is going to heat things up.

This also wasn't what I'm talking about as its just not a priority for a lot of developers. Even after the Scorpio releases its no guarantee.

Top Bottom