• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else just watch the Injustice 2 story cutscenes on YouTube?

Fredrik

I know a TON of people who have done this.

It actually kind of makes me angry. Because they did so much work to make the story really beautiful and interesting, and some guy on Youtube makes ad money off it and a million people just watch the story instead of buying and playing the game. Its robbing devs of their hard earned money.

If I was WB, I'd release the story cutscenes as a separate movie and DMCA takedown all the youtube cutscene compilations. This thievery has to stop.
To be fair though, if you've seen all the game has to offer by watching cutscenes then maybe they should've made a movie instead? I'd buy this movie with real actors day 1.
With games, if you're afraid of youtube, always focus on the gameplay, make it awesome enough that you feel dumb if you just watch someone on youtube play the game instead of playing it yourself.

It actually kind of makes me angry. Because they did so much work to make the story really beautiful and interesting, and some guy on Youtube makes ad money off it and a million people just watch the story instead of buying and playing the game. Its robbing devs of their hard earned money.

If I was WB, I'd release the story cutscenes as a separate movie and DMCA takedown all the youtube cutscene compilations. This thievery has to stop.

^This

To be fair though, if you've seen all the game has to offer by watching cutscenes then maybe they should've made a movie instead? I'd buy this movie with real actors day 1.
With games, if you're afraid of youtube, always focus on the gameplay, make it awesome enough that you feel dumb if you just watch someone on youtube play the game instead of playing it yourself.

In this case it's not a 'Let's play' situation, it a person whom has compile and edited into a movie all cutscenes of a game. And possibly receiving money from it.

You mention 'focus on gameplay' as a solution, then we'll have a Titanfall 1 situation (just and example), where the gameplay was solid but there was no campaign. In the other hand, you can 'focus on story' and ended in a That Dragon Cancer situation, where a small studio had to deal with plenty of 'movies' of his game and almost got nothing from the game's sales. You can focus on both: great story and gameplay, and then you end up where we're now with Injustice 2.

farting

Banned
Here's a question - do you guys think people watching the story on YT would have bought the game just to see it?

Or does the fact they're not interested in actually playing a fighting game maybe mean this isn't losing a ton of sales?

I'm not saying which is the case, just offering a thought.

i'm one of those people and no i wasn't going to buy it.

the line of argument that each of those views is a lost sale was ridiculous when people were using it against actual piracy and its more ridiculous now.

shaowebb

No. Because I believe in actually playing a game instead of just watching videos of it and posting on the internet about it. That road has lead to a LOT of half-truth posting on this board and I feel it hurts the overall performance and acceptance of many very good titles in the long run due to the damage it can cause to reputations.

Play it. I dont care if its via gamefly. Just play things over watching them.

Pompadour

I didn't watch the story cutscenes on YouTube (I'm not interested in fighting game story modes or superhero shit, in general, so there's nothing there for me) but I did watch a lot of the fight intros. The facial animation in this game is legitimately great, the voice acting is extremely good for a fighting game, and the writing is occasionally well done. I really this back-and-forth, variable, character specific intros should be in every fighting game.

I don't begrudge anyone who does this but I would be lying if I said that hearing about this sort of thing didn't bother me. Particularly because this game is great. I'm absolutely terrible at fighting games (even worse at Netherealm fighting games) but I'm still have a ton of fun just (mostly) mashing out combos by myself

Fredrik

^This

In this case it's not a 'Let's play' situation, it a person whom has compile and edited into a movie all cutscenes of a game. And possibly receiving money from it.

You mention 'focus on gameplay' as a solution, then we'll have a Titanfall 1 situation (just and example), where the gameplay was solid but there was no campaign. In the other hand, you can 'focus on story' and ended in a That Dragon Cancer situation, where a small studio had to deal with plenty of 'movies' of his game and almost got nothing from the game's sales. You can focus on both: great story and gameplay, and then you end up where we're now with Injustice 2.
Titanfall's... er, fall... was that it was a multiplayer focused game, not that it didn't have cutscenes. There is nothing wrong with a gameplay focused single player game without cutscenes. Many of us are here for the gameplay, some even skip every cutscene.
If you focus on both then I guess you'll just have to deal with the cutscenes being shown on youtube, which shouldn't matter much if the gameplay is awesome.

Jamiaro

Yeah, I watched the Story-mode on Youtube. It was a good playthrough with funny people playing the game while having the sense to be quiet during cutscenes.

Good stuff and it also made interested about buying the game.

Agreed 100%.

Top Bottom