• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK confirms Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 2017

Well assuming the rumours are true for autumn we are looking at

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

That just seems a little bit overkill for 3 months to me

Fire Emblem Warriors would make sense hitting in August to me. When did Hyrule Warriors release?

Sendou

People say this is nothing new, but unless i am wrong it was the Japanese Twitter that said 2017 for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. No confirmation of the west. Not for one second did i believe it would release this year, but it sure sounds like it's going to happen. So Mario AND Xenoblade 2? Holy shit man.

It has always been 2017 everywhere. See this image for example:

ccccccpsxwp.jpg

Drek

But they weren't all from the same publisher. It was nuts enough to have EA fire off TF2 and BF1 in the same season, but Nintendo with potentially 5 major releases within a few months is bonkers.

Edit:
And these will be going up against the usual holiday AAA deluge that we're already going to be up against. Over-saturation.

1. The usual holiday AAA deluge won't be on the Switch.

2. While Nintendo's IPs pull a high tie ratio none are even 50%. Different games sell systems to different people. Nintendo needs to get as many of the heavy hitters on Switch as possible in order to convince as many interested Wii, Wii U, and 3DS owners to migrate rapidly.

Though I agree, they shouldn't load it all in Q4 of 2017. If this was the games list I was asked to sort:
Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

I'd want Fire Emblem Warriors out in fall 2017, Mario in late fall/early winter as the Christmas headliner, Xenoblade out shortly thereafter with a day one sale promo of some kind (like introducing digital Wii games on Switch with buy X2 get X free).

Then I'd push Pokemon Stars and Smash into Q1 2017.

Fire Emblem Warriors would make sense hitting in August to me. When did Hyrule Warriors release?

Hyrule Warriors was August in Japan and September everywhere else. Something like that sounds about right for FE Warriors.

Spla2n is probably June/July. It's really the perfect "end of the school year, start of the summer vacation" game. Arms is likely the May slot.

I think we can all agree if Xenoblade 2 comes this year, it's going to be December at the earliest... Personally I feel if anything had to give from the schedule, it'd be that and/or Smash Bros. (if that's a thing). Selling Amiibos feels like the main incentive to have Smash out for the holiday. Beyond that I can see them waiting and putting it in the beginning of next year to keep the momentum going.

I don't believe Xenoblade 2 is coming out this year, from the little we've been shown I expect at least a year more. Xenoblade to Xenoblade X was 4 years apart, 2 years for Xenoblade X to Xenoblade 2 seems way too soon.

OmegaDL50

Why does everyone keep saying that XC2 won't make 2017? The game has likely been in development for quite some time.

Takahashi even admitted that Xenoblade X was a foundation for development for a future game, so it's probably likely that they are reusing the engine from Xenoblade X for Xenoblade 2's development which would substantially speed things along from a development standpoint.

Xenoblade X initial announcement in January 2013 to full release in April 2015, a mere 2 years, factoring probably a significant portion of the development was likely on the engine itself which won't need to be done for Xenoblade 2 considering the likelihood if of being reused based on Takahashi's admission of using Xenoblade X foundation for this new game.

If we consider that Monolith started work on Xenoblade 2 as soon as they finished with X, alongside their work on Zelda BoTW, then a 2017 for Xenoblade 2 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Tetsuya Takahashi on Xenoblade X said:
"The design focus for this game was on map exploration and character builds during battle, We deliberately distanced ourselves from having philosophical themes intertwined with the core of the story. Given that we at Monolith Soft had no experience with developing HD titles, our goal with this project was to experiment with and implement the assorted tech skills we needed for HD game development. We decided that trying to balance that with an epic theme-laden story would pose difficulties. Our hope is that we can start by creating the core system, then expand on the story and thematic elements in our future project."
http://time.com/4149809/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-tetsuya-takahashi/

tebunker

Banned

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

Nintendo honestly has no choice. They need to stuff the pipeline with as much software as they can. They cannot afford any let downs. They need at least 4 tentpole(Mario/Zelda level) games a year and a bunch of smaller ones on the sides. The only way they will convince people to buy the system is a wide array of games.

And to be honest out of your list only Mario and Pokemon are tentpoles, a Smash port isn't quite tentpole, but it wouldn't t hurt

I highly doubt Xenoblade 2 started development once X was done. I think it started earlier and it could make it this year. I can see it being a December game just like X was in America.

Nintendo honestly has no choice. They need to stuff the pipeline with as much software as they can. They cannot afford any let downs. They need at least 4 tentpole(Mario/Zelda level) games a year and a bunch of smaller ones on the sides. The only way they will convince people to buy the system is a wide array of games.

And to be honest out of your list only Mario and Pokemon are tentpoles, a Smash port isn't quite tentpole, but it wouldn't t hurt

Not sure what you're thinking, but Smash and Mario Kart are tent poles regardless of being ports. Even more so than Zelda. Splatoon is a tent pole title now especially with how it sold as a console game in Japan.

Switch Year 1

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Super Mario Odyssey
(Potentially Pokemon)

Its already a monster

The funny thing is that's not even year 1. That's only 9 months lol

Well there will already have been Zelda botw, MK8D and Spla2n so nintendo is sorted for tentpoles

Kyzer

Banned
Switch Year 1

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Super Mario Odyssey
(Potentially Pokemon)

Its already a monster

oti

Banned
After Hyrule Warriors im really excited for FE Warriors. Im ready to dump 200 + hours into this. Also please have local co-op.

I'm hoping for some mindless fun at least. I was strangely addicted to Hyrule Warriors for a very short while. Never touched that game against after finishing the plot though.

Lucifon

Mario odyssey
Fire emblem warriors
Smash
Pokemon stars
Xenoblade 2

Considering most third party support will be bare I'd say that's a smaller (but awesome) lineup than the competition.

I sure hope it's true but I can't see it happening. Xenoblade will be delayed imo. I hope we get a port of X.

What i wonder though is, how long has Xenoblade 2 been in development? I mean didn't Monolith also help out on Zelda BOTW?

Yes, but I imagine the "Monolith" that helped in Zelda isn't the same one that makes the Xenoblade series. Monolith is a weird studio in that it's actually two branches, one in Kyoto and one in Tokyo. Tales from my ass, but I bet the Xenoblade team (Tokyo) weren't heavily involved, while the Kyoto team (largely focused on asset creation previously) I'd guess were involved in Zelda.

Switch Year 1

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Super Mario Odyssey
(Potentially Pokemon)

Its already a monster
For sure. I guess we'll see definitively one way or another if Nintendo can successfully launch a console on only it's own software (+indie). If this year doesn't work out, who knows what actually could.

Raet

I think Nintendo will want to launch their online service with the Smash port as their major online title. For that reason alone I expect to see Smash 4 Switch in the Fall.

Tesser

Not sure if I should take it as a good/comforting thing that I'm not the only one in this thread [still] skeptical about XC2 arriving (in the West) this year. Xenoblade Chronicles quickly earned its place among the upper echelons in my mind and as much as I'd be interested in a follow-up - does the big fat '2' indicate this being an actual sequel - even with Nintendo UK talking it up, I'm still confident about it getting delayed last-minute.

tebunker

Banned
Well there will already have been Zelda botw, MK8D and Spla2n so nintendo is sorted for tentpoles

Whilst I love Splat & cant wait for the sequel it isn't fully a tentpole for the mass market. It can be, and I think the sequel can have further reach than the first.

To me Zelda, MK, Mario and possibly Smash are the potential tentpoles for this year. But honestly Nintendo needs about 10 plus games a year to keep interest primed for switch. That was my greater argument. They cannot afford even the slightest hiccup and I'd say they are cutting it close with 8 weeks between Zelda and MK8.

AGITΩ

From the footage and knowing its monoliths a team from XC1 and not XCX, im inclined to believe that the game is further along than we all assume, and could be out by december world wide.

Whilst I love Splat & cant wait for the sequel it isn't fully a tentpole for the mass market. It can be, and I think the sequel can have further reach than the first.

To me Zelda, MK, Mario and possibly Smash are the potential tentpoles for this year. But honestly Nintendo needs about 10 plus games a year to keep interest primed for switch. That was my greater argument. They cannot afford even the slightest hiccup and I'd say they are cutting it close with 8 weeks between Zelda and MK8.

Sequel to the biggest home console game of the gen in japan isnt a mass market tentpole?

I demand british voices in Xenoblade 2.

British cast or complete european localization like Zelda, any one of those would do.
NoA's direction in voice acting its subpar, they have demonstrated enough with nearly every game they have released, even on probably its biggest game ever were they only needed less than 20 actors.
Other M, Xenoblade X, Zelda...
When Spain can go and get professional loved voice actors, that are not even common on videogames but movies for Zelda and NoA does a subpar job, something is wrong.

I likes the american voice acting in games like Wonderful 101, but I dont know if that was becuase Platinum was doing that stuff, or NoA got it right that time.

Some Nobody

XCX was rarely ever marketed as "coming out this year", except on those meaningless calendars you'd see that would go "TBA 2015". Otherwise when it popped up as a Direct Reggie would always say "We'll hear more about this game, later in the year."

This time they have been VERY vocal about dates. Reggie did multiple interviews talking about how they were counting on XB2 to bring in niche fans this year.

Either way, the skepticism is no longer reasonable. Wait until the next direct/E3. If we get nothing then? 2018. But for now? Chill. There's NO release date or mention of any big games for the latter half of the year and I have to think there's a reason for that.

jdstorm

Banned
So

March Zelda
April Mario Kart
May Arms
June Splatoon
July???
August???
September FE Warriors
October Xenoblade 2
November Mario
December????

Year 1 is shaping up to be pretty good for the Switch. Especially with Pokemon Stars, Smash 4 and Retro's next project rumoured for this year.

Some Nobody

So

March Zelda
April Mario Kart
May Arms
June Splatoon
July???
August???
September FE Warriors
October Xenoblade 2
November Mario
December????

Year 1 is shaping up to be pretty good for the Switch. Especially with Pokemon Stars, Smash 4 and Retro's next project rumoured for this year.

No Pokémon talk in weeks makes me skeptical. If it exists tho bet on October release again, while XB2 hits in December. And FE Warriors might be in August while they let NBA 2K hit in September. That's a big get for them and if they can leech just a few users from PS4 and XB1 they can give sports gamers something special.

Megatron

Absolutely no way we are getting xenoblade 2 in the US/Europe in 2017. I would love to be wrong, as a switch owner, but I doubt I am.

Nightbird

No Pokémon talk in weeks makes me skeptical. If it exists tho bet on October release again, while XB2 hits in December. And FE Warriors might be in August while they let NBA 2K hit in September. That's a big get for them and if they can leech just a few users from PS4 and XB1 they can give sports gamers something special.

Remeber ORAS. Wasn't announced until May, released 6 months later.

I'd say if we don't hear anything until E3, we get nothing from Game Freak this year

Valahart

Yeah Nintendo, let me tell you something. You can keep lying to yourselves but we all know Xenoblade 2 won't be out this year, ok?

heringer

"It's totally coming out this year you guys!" will be the official stance until the day the game is inevitably delayed.

Top Bottom