• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XENOGEARS |OT| of Standing Tall and Shaking the Heavens

kitzkozan

GeoramA said:
Has a 4.99 rating on PSN, out of 757 votes. That's insane :lol

It's a little over the top as the game has plenty of flaws. :p But hey,there's a nostalgia factor to consider in the equation.I do know that the last time I played it,I was surprised to see how freaking slow the game is in general (playing it on the PS2 might be a factor as well).

Still,maybe I'm gonna buy this new orchestral soundtrack as I consider it to be among the top 5 in jrpgs.

The biggest issue I got with playing ps1 and ps2 games is that they are super slow.

From opening up menu screens to wait for the "Entering battle swirl" to be done.

Main reason I stuck with nintendo. Shit just happens. Almost no wait.

Funny enough wii games have some of the longest loading in nintendo history =P

bounchfx

I think it holds up graphically a hell of a lot better than other PSX rpg's.

fuck I want to replay this. gonna have to buy. such an incredible soundtrack.

Zwei

This thread is all kinds of awesome.

The Xenogears revival that's been happening this week (PSN release + Myth album) just feels great, man.

Now, only if SquareEnix could announce Episode IV for the NGP, that would be even better. ;)

It's nice seeing Xenogears finally getting some respect/acknowledgement here lately.

And I envy GAFfers playing it for the first time. But I will start the game again this weekend, and I will pretend it is my first time right along side everyone else in the thread. :) I haven't beaten it in many years. Have the original discs but still bought this version anyway.

evilpigking said:
I never got the Tower of Babel hate, I've played through three times now and never really had an issue with it.

I'd play this game just for the music alone (though I don't have to since I bought the OST).
I honestly thought it was hard, and fucking up was very punishing because you had to restart a lot of platforming from the beginning, assorted with a bunch of not-so-easy random fights. At least that's how it was for me.

But i get your feeling, sometimes there is some parts of a game you think are kind of easy that are inexplicably hard for everybody else (that would be hades in God of war for me).

But yea, I thought xenogears was pretty hard.
redrum was a big pain in the ass. i also could never beat the four spheres along with the final boss, so i just went straight for deus, all protected by those fucking bastards. when i met the ouroboros i almost had a heart attack, thinking i might lose to it and have to rekill zeus
. <= heavy spoilers here

harriet the spy said:
I honestly thought it was hard, and fucking up was very punishing because you had to restart a lot of platforming from the beginning, assorted with a bunch of not-so-easy random fights. At least that's how it was for me.

But i get your feeling, sometimes there is some parts of a game you think are kind of easy that are inexplicably hard for everybody else (that would be hades in God of war for me).

But yea, I thought xenogears was pretty hard.
redrum was a big pain in the ass. i also could never beat the four spheres along with the final boss, so i just went straight for deus, all protected by those fucking bastards. when i met the ouroboros i almost had a heart attack, thinking i might lose to it and have to rekill zeus
. <= heavy spoilers here

Oh man the Sewers =/ When I got there I kept getting my ass handed to me as well on my first playthrough (because at the time I was pretty young and didn't fully grasp the Combo feature) and actually started over from scratch leveling up a lot more. That is probably my least favorite dungeon in the game because of that initial experience.

I really love the towns though and the minigames...well not the RPS one >_>, but the Hide and Seek game etc.

Man, I haven't played Xenogears in years. I still have the disc version. Bought it pretty much the day it came out because I liked the demo so much. (The one that came with Parasite Eve.)

r04c47.jpg

Anyway, got the actual game and loved it. Unfortunately I got stuck in some sewer level. I got lost and could never find my way out.

Also, I remember the game looking rough when playing it on a PS2, until I used the smoothing feature. That actually helped the pixelation a bit. I imagine it'd be the same on the PS3. And of course, would look best on a PSP.

Outstanding game, though. People mention the soundtrack a lot, I just loved the tunes that played in the different villages. After exploring a town and hearing the same music looping over and over again, it was so good I never did mind.

Zwei

DrForester said:
Would you really want Square and not Monolithsoft to do it?

Good point. I guess there's no plausible way for the old Xenogears team to find their way back to Square Enix.

But... will Square just sit on the Xenogears IP? IIRC, Xenogears sold fairly well worldwide. I think a prequel/sequel would perform reasonably well, too.

Goody

I was obsessed with this game when I was in High School. A friend of mine actually had no idea what it was and it was just laying around his place so he gave it to me. Lucky break.

Easily one of my favorite soundtracks too. Anyone ever notice this sounds an awful lot like the Guru's theme from Faxanadu? Maybe they're both going off of something else that I'm not aware of.

PokéKong said:
Question. What connection, if any, does this game have to the more recent Xenoblade on Wii?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but

-Both games are directed/created by Takahashi and his wife, who are/were also creators of the story or characters for both games.

-Both are jRPGs that have hybrid action/time based battles.

-Both have huge stories and huge worlds, but Xenogears' world is more linear, Xenoblade's more free-roaming.

-Both have giant robots somewhere in the game

-Both game's stories are UNrelated to each other (I think)

Xenogears has the coolest moment in a game if you ask me. I remember playing it on a sick day and just watching the first appearance of ID. Shit got real. It was amazing.

Really feel the urge to play this again. How does it look on the PSP?

jiggle

love this game so much
it gets better with every replay

Zwei said:
But... will Square just sit on the Xenogears IP? IIRC, Xenogears sold fairly well worldwide. I think a prequel/sequel would perform reasonably well, too.

square sits on a lot of ip
but who do they have left that can tackle them?

nomura can only do so much

most i can hope for is a remake

Ahhh the memories :(

If only they could make just one... only one more game like Xenogears in these days the gaming world would be so much more better .

anyway I'm too busy now to re-play it .... I will wait till summer to do so.

just one more thing.... can you guys please take photos of the game on your HDTV? just wondering how the game looks like on the HDTV...... !

B.K.

PokéKong said:
Question. What connection, if any, does this game have to the more recent Xenoblade on Wii?

None at all. The name Xenoblade was a marketing ploy by Nintendo to try to get fans of Xenogears and Xenosaga to buy the game.

I got Greatest Hits Xenogears reprint several years back. First game I ever had to order online. Okay so my mom ordered it...

The game has such an awesome world and backstory. Not to mention the actual story. And characters. And neat battle system.

None at all. The name Xenoblade was a marketing ploy by Nintendo to try to get fans of Xenogears and Xenosaga to buy the game.

I don't see what getting 10 more people to buy something would accomplish.

Edgeward

AH HA, I beat the Rock Paper Scissors guy in one shot. God, I remember what a pain it was to get so close and guess wrong on the fifth time having to do it over again.

I need a print out of the deathblows so I can get them asap and not waste time with combinations I already used and won't get me anything.

ronito

So stupid question.
I still own the discs. I don't suppose PSN will give me save state or something that I don't already have by just popping in the discs. Right?

Rahxephon91 said:
Xenogears has the coolest moment in a game if you ask me. I remember playing it on a sick day and just watching the first appearance of ID. Shit got real. It was amazing.

Really feel the urge to play this again. How does it look on the PSP?

I am not sure this is what you are referring to, but for me the coolest moment is the moment where Shitan/citan coerces Id into appearing by berating Fei, who's kept shackled. That scene was mindfuck (citan is a traitor!) over mindfuck (Fei is id!) over mindfuck over mindfuck
<<<=== REALLY REALLY REALLY HEAVY SPOILERS HERE, FIRST TIME PLAYERS DON'T EVEN APPROACH THIS BLACK BAND OF DEATH.

btcollide

Neo Member
So tempted to buy this and play it when I have the time. One of the JRPGs I actually didn't play during the golden era. :(

Ichabod

Banned
One of these days I'll get around to trolling myself by playing through and actually using Rico and Chu Chu. ;_;

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A douche in Middle School used my (new, at the time) copy and never returned it. Fond memories. Enjoy to all the people who are going to play for the first time.

The first game I ever BEGGED for as a Teen. I got it for my birthday, I was so happy. All the magazine advertisements had me so interested. I played the shit out of the game, but some parts had me stuck for weeks.

At least the anime intro still looks decent!

I still think the town graphics look nice. Battles and the world map though are a bit ugly.

strideramc

I have never played this. Was one of the few PSX rpg's I passed on. I have been hearing the accolades ever since. Finally can grab it at a more reasonable price and give it a play through.

Chris R

Got to some sewers (probably like 20 hours in I think) a few years back and haven't played yet. With all the other people playing it now I might jump on though.

Edgeward

rhfb said:
Got to some sewers (probably like 20 hours in I think) a few years back and haven't played yet. With all the other people playing it now I might jump on though.

You're probably talking about the Kislev sewers, in which case I completely understand why you stopped. Tower of Babel gets a lot of shit, but that part is the worst part of the game for me. I fucking loathe that dungeon so much.

B.K.

A bit of advice for people playing the game for the first time: don't ask any questions about the plot until after you finish the game. It's almost impossible to explain anything about the story without spoiling something that happens later.

Edgeward said:
You're probably talking about the Kislev sewers

OMG!!! this is the worst part I've ever been into in the whole Xeno universe... sooo ugly and boring and stupid and I have no idea why the hell they made it like that in the first place... just remembering it make me feels depressed -_-"

Clevinger

Edgeward said:
You're probably talking about the Kislev sewers, in which case I completely understand why you stopped. Tower of Babel gets a lot of shit, but that part is the worst part of the game for me. I fucking loathe that dungeon so much.

The Tower of Babel was weird. On the one hand, it was long, ridiculously hard, and tedious. On the other, the actual concept of the dungeon, its relation to the story, and being able to explore it was awesome.

Edgeward

Other than one jump in Babel, I didn't find it to be that bad or tricky. And making your way to the top was indeed a cool ass journey and had the right amount of length of game time to invoke the real sense of how a long and arduous task it was for the people to build it and just how high up it is.

ronito said:
So stupid question.
I still own the discs. I don't suppose PSN will give me save state or something that I don't already have by just popping in the discs. Right?

Yeah, you'd have to re-buy the game to have a PSN version. The discs you have will work just fine on the PS3 but without CFW you'd have to rebuy for PSP play. (Your PS1 saves can be manually transfered over from the PS3, though...)

B.K.

Edgeward said:
Other than one jump in Babel, I didn't find it to be that bad or tricky. And making your way to the top was indeed a cool ass journey and had the right amount of length of game time to invoke the real sense of how a long and arduous task it was for the people to build it and just how high up it is.

Babel Tower wasn't built. It's a huge piece of the Eldridge that landed like that when the ship was destroyed.

Top Bottom