• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

I'm trying to figure out how to print screen with my Mac keyboard. God damned mac always having to be different with no print screen button... :(

Shouta

DoctorWho said:
I'm trying to figure out how to print screen with my Mac keyboard. God damned mac always having to be different with no print screen button... :(

Uh why? do /screenshot_jpg and it'll make a screenshot for you. If you want the UI, do /screenshot_ui (though I think that comes out as a tga).

It's me or the game is easier (the enemies, but also leveling) than the beta?

I'm level 9, and I made only story missions, patrol, a delta cluster exploration and starfleet 24, and I leveled more than the missions that I accomplished. I have still some level 7-8 missions left (and the fight enemy vessels of level 4 and 7).

It's like I'm leveling much faster than in beta...

Shouta said:
Uh why? do /screenshot_jpg and it'll make a screenshot for you. If you want the UI, do /screenshot_ui (though I think that comes out as a tga).

I imagine he wants a key for it because having to type that out isn't really ideal when you're trying to take a screenshot of something cool. It could only last a couple of seconds which you might miss by the time you hit enter.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
DangerousDave said:

I'm level 9, and I made only story missions, patrol, a delta cluster exploration and starfleet 24, and I leveled more than the missions that I accomplished. I have still some level 7-8 missions left (and the fight enemy vessels of level 4 and 7).

I think at some point late in the beta they made it easier. However, I do like that I can level solely on missions and not have to grind at all.

Shouta said:

I'll use that for now. Thanks.

DangerousDave said:

I've been thinking the same thing. Does this game get challenging at some point?

Xabora

2isi62w.jpg

Bamf, broken immersion.

Bru

No play for me at all on Sunday as the missus dragged me out to a wedding show :-o
(Two years three months and counting......)

Does anybody know how many members we have in GAF fleet so far? I haven’t been able to look at the relevant list in-game since Saturday night. We seem to be growing at quite a rate :)

Zzoram

DoctorWho said:
I've been thinking the same thing. Does this game get challenging at some point?

They made the first 10 levels easier so people could hit lvl 11 faster and get a real ship. The slow progression in the first 10 levels was one of the major complaints to come out of the beta.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
2645c7b.jpg

1j89ag.jpg

2i7adm1.jpg

Game is just a joy when you're in space. They really need to patch out the ground combat though, it's abhorrent.

derFeef

Patch out ground combat? Please no. Its a nice change of pace like Zzoram already said. They just need to improve the hell out of it.

Zzoram

Did they fix the Steam version yet? I want to be able to launch if from my Steam list, I don't want to launch it externally.

I plan on picking this up tuesday or wednesday. Just going to get the regular boxed version wherever I can find it. Not a major trekkie but I enjoyed some parts of the various shows and I really want to try a sci-fi flavored MMO.

Looking forwards to joining GAFleet.

shock33

Zzoram said:
They made the first 10 levels easier so people could hit lvl 11 faster and get a real ship. The slow progression in the first 10 levels was one of the major complaints to come out of the beta.

If you're lucky they'll do the same thing as Champions Online.

"What's that? People are having fun and levelling quickly!? There must be NO CORRELATION! NERF THE XP!!!!BUFF MOBS!!!NERF POWERS!!!DO EEEEET NAU!!"

Zzoram

Progression is very important to RPGs. Whether it's level ups or new items or both, there always needs to be some progression just within reach to entice players to keep going. Slowing down leveling in a game with fairly mediocre item progression would be a death sentence.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ground combat isn't anywhere near awful. I don't get why people say it is. The problem is that it is entirely unremarkable against the awesomeness that is the space combat. I don't think there's a question in anyone's mind that the devs focused the vast majority of their time on space combat and space missions, but really they needed to. We have how many MMORPGs out there that are focused on ground combat? The devs needed to make space perfect to draw the audience in and differentiate it from WoW and others. I do hope they beef up ground missions a bit more, particularly the auto-team missions. At this point if that part were to end up like WoW/DDO/whatever it wouldn't be bad at all as they have the wonderful space stuff to make the game really standout.

My tip of the day (yeah, you probably all know this already). Especially when you are alone in a system (or on the ground), click the scan button located in the middle on the left edge of your mini-map to have your ship point the way to any anomalies you have yet to scan. For probably an hour total I spent on various maps searching for anomalies to scan only finding 1/3-1/2 of them.. Finally I was like "there's GOTTA be a button somewhere here to make this easier. The devs couldn't have been this sadistic!!???" Found the scan button and a beam of light points in the direction of the closest anomaly. I did hit one bug with it where it pointed off the map, but later on (after a ground mission) I warped to another map in that system where there was 1 anomaly so I think there are some cases where it tells you there are x anomalies left in a system but some of them are actually on another map in the system.

almost Lt. Cmdr 0. probably two more episodes left. Enjoying the hell out of this game, but kind of want a new ship now... also nice to see that so far cryptic is offering up things like name changes for in-game currency instead of just leaving it to cryptic points and the c-store... hopefully they just make cosmetic stuff exclusive to the c-store (or character slots and whatnot) and not anything necessary like character renames or respeccing.

Zzoram said:
Progression is very important to RPGs. Whether it's level ups or new items or both, there always needs to be some progression just within reach to entice players to keep going. Slowing down leveling in a game with fairly mediocre item progression would be a death sentence.
point nail, meet CoH hammer. CoH applied the EQ system of leveling (grinding with grouping almost REQUIRED after 20) about 7 months before WoW hit. The problem is that, unlike EQ, CoH had NO itemization whatsoever. Once WoW hit where you could hit the 60 level cap probably in half the time it took you to do it in CoH AND got all sorts of stats/visual loot to boot, it changed the entire playing field.. STO's itemization is ok, and the level advancement so far is decent.. if they lowered either one I agree that the game would be much worse for it. If they did slow down advancement they would definitely haev to raise itemization quite a bit.

borghe

kyo_daikun said:
I think one of the Dev's confirmed a week ago that respeccing will cost real monies through the c-store :(
both retcon (respec) and renaming are offered up in the c-store for champions online, but both are available using in-game currency as well. So far the only non-cosmetic thing offered up on CO's c-store with no in-game currency equivalent is character slots. I don't see why Trek would be different. We'll see, but I would actually be surprised if they forced you to pay real money for respeccing vs. just offering a real money option for it.

borghe said:
both retcon (respec) and renaming are offered up in the c-store for champions online, but both are available using in-game currency as well. So far the only non-cosmetic thing offered up on CO's c-store with no in-game currency equivalent is character slots. I don't see why Trek would be different. We'll see, but I would actually be surprised if they forced you to pay real money for respeccing vs. just offering a real money option for it.

Yeah, it would be totally pants if they did make you pay but im 90% sure I saw stormshade post it on the official forums and there was a backlash (before the forums got wiped again)

Yep, i found the same bug. If there are several space "scenes" in a mission, the number of anomalies is wrong, and it points you out of the map.

The problem of the ground missions is that they are so easy that tactics are not necessary. You can aim, you can dodge, you can flank, you can order targets or trigger special attacks of your crew, you can even pause the game and give exact instructions to each guy, so you have much more tactics than in other MMO... but in the end, you only need to press 1 each 2 seconds to attack, and 2 each 10 seconds for the special attack. If you have a science guy with a medical tricorder and an engineer with a shield regen, is very difficult to die if you don't go kamikaze, your crew will do much of the work.

I'm very interested in the post-end content. If there is any importance in "crafting", in order to get better equipment, rewards from lairs, etc... but, right now, "crafting" is a total deception.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have they said how all the pre-order/DDE stuff will show up on your character(s)? Will they just show up when you enter the retail key?

borghe

DangerousDave said:
Yep, i found the same bug. If there are several space "scenes" in a mission, the number of anomalies is wrong, and it points you out of the map.

The problem of the ground missions is that they are so easy that tactics are not necessary. You can aim, you can dodge, you can flank, you can order targets or trigger special attacks of your crew, you can even pause the game and give exact instructions to each guy, so you have much more tactics than in other MMO... but in the end, you only need to press 1 each 2 seconds to attack, and 2 each 10 seconds for the special attack. If you have a science guy with a medical tricorder and an engineer with a shield regen, is very difficult to die if you don't go kamikaze, your crew will do much of the work.

I'm very interested in the post-end content. If there is any importance in "crafting", in order to get better equipment, rewards from lairs, etc... but, right now, "crafting" is a total deception.
yeah.... crafting is really just multiple types of currency needed... which I guess is all crafting ever is. The problem with itemization in this game is, instead of like wow where it comes down to specific class items almost all the way up through the levels, here they have even MORE stats available for items making many more lateral upgrades and the whole upgrade process much more confusing. There have been many cases so far where I've gotten an item and instead of "worse or better" I had to figure out "ok, does this fit in with my play style, is this a more efficient play style, etc". They wanted so hard I think to hit EVERY sort of play style in the game that the end result is a very murky area for itemization where you really have to know ahead of time what items you want and to just ignore the rest.. of course in these early days that's death for item advancement.

I am all for them throwing out traditional crafting for this game.. outside of engineering it really doesn't make any sense anyway.. but the current "Crafting store" system they have in place is pretty confusing when adding it to the already overly-itemized store/reward system.

firehawk12 said:
Have they said how all the pre-order/DDE stuff will show up on your character(s)? Will they just show up when you enter the retail key?
some of it will show up automatically, some of it will have to be claimed under special features under the c-store tab.

firehawk12 said:

You have to go to the c-store ingame, go to the special unlocks page and redeem you pre order items as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, cool. I must say I'm kind of pissed that I can't have an all female crew this time around unless I'm willing to buy another boff. I was looking forward to having the all mini-skirt away team. :lol

Well, there are 2 "crafting".

One is not crafting, is that badge system (for exploration, for pvp...)

The other one, the one that uses the scan lectures, is too simple, and confuse in the same time.
- It only affects a bunch of objects of MK II, basicly changing them from "common" to "uncommon". But you only can acceed to the list if you're in Memory Alpha, so you can't remember if you can discard that object that you looted, or is one of the "upgradable" elements.
- There are no clear indications about progress in crafting. Teorically, all the NPC on Memory Alpha has lists, but you can only trade with one of them, and there is no indicative about what do you have to do or when you'll be able to talk with other characters.

BTW... the weapons have any kind of "rank" limit in the equipment? I saw a ferengi that sold ground weapons up to Mk X, and quite cheap. And there wasn't any indicative about that i couldn't use that object, in the store.

borghe

DangerousDave said:
BTW... the weapons have any kind of "rank" limit in the equipment? I saw a ferengi that sold ground weapons up to Mk X, and quite cheap. And there wasn't any indicative about that i couldn't use that object, in the store.
yeah there is.. you have to check in the description and look for the rank.. :\ If you look at the ferengi stuff for like 200 credits you'll see the MkX stuff is for Admirals. It isn't at all uniform and you just have to scan the info box (usually on the upper right side) for the rank info. but yeah, they should DEFINITELY indicate if you can't use something and on the info box or somewhere indicate WHY you can't use it before you try buying it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DoctorWho said:
Its either Ctrl-Shift-3 or Command-Shift-3, one of the two.

firehawk12 said:
Ah, cool. I must say I'm kind of pissed that I can't have an all female crew this time around unless I'm willing to buy another boff. I was looking forward to having the all mini-skirt away team. :lol

Im just waiting to be able to scream Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn everywhere, god help earth space dock tomorrow...

borghe

firehawk12 said:
boffs are dirt cheap (sort of). You can buy a new Ensign boff for 100 credits and have a pretty good selection to pick from as far races/sex and abilities. at least it seemed like it. of course then you come down to that you have an ensign boff way behind your other crew...

JdFoX187

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Im just waiting to be able to scream Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn everywhere, god help earth space dock tomorrow...
I can just imagine the insanity that'll be tomorrow when people start doing that everywhere.

JdFoX187 said:
I can just imagine the insanity that'll be tomorrow when people start doing that everywhere.

Its going to be shocking im sure.

Anybody else heard about the rainbow coloured weapons? Apparently there's a command you can put it to change the colours of your beams and torps to anything (pink being the main focus so far it seems)

Code:
/PowerHue x y
Will change x weapon to y colour with a 0-300 range for the colours.
Apparently because of the crybabies over on STO forums wailing about canon and lore it'll be removed soon. Remember, Internet Spacehips are srs bsnss.

:lol

JdFoX187

Banned
What do we do with all the alien artifacts, radiation and mineral samples? I've got a stockpile that won't quit, but can't find anywhere to dump them off at.

Pink phasers ftw!

On another thought it makes the blue phasers of the gamestop connie a little less special :lol

Radiation, minerals and crud is for "crafting" at memory alpha

Zzoram

JdFoX187 said:
What do we do with all the alien artifacts, radiation and mineral samples? I've got a stockpile that won't quit, but can't find anywhere to dump them off at.

They are sorta used for crafting. There are some items you can only purchase with those things.

rezuth

DoctorWho said:
shift+cmd+3 = fullscreen
shift+cmd+4 = resize how you like

borghe

rezuth said:
Is the game worth the price?
what price? The price of $47 from Amazon with a $10 gaming credit for 30 days of MMO gaming? I would say definitely yes. Is there longevity there (or potentially there) to keep you playing 3 years from now or buying a lifetime subscription? Who knows. What I CAN tell you is that most of us feel the game is comprised of an exceptional space combat game with a relatively fresh take on the subject and loads of depth to spare, combined with an average by the numbers ground game that hopefully Cryptic will show some love to in the near future but for the time being is at least enough to provide nice variety to the space missions. Take all of that and throw it in the included 30 day game time and add $15 or $30 to the price for a month or two and I would definitely say Cryptic launched with a game that's "worth the price". Beyond that will all matter on what they do with it after a month or two out.

oh, PvP is also nothing to write home about. this problem is compounded by two points. First, the game is still young and you don't unlock your klingon slot until 6th level.. second, with very little Klingon PvE (aka pretty much none) most people right now are focusing on Federation PvE... they really need to beef up Klingon PvE to a full game.

Just a little note, apparently some of the Dev's are hinting that there will be a full Klingon story in the near future as the story writers are doing overtime on the weekends laying it all out, when/if they get a full klingon story and a decent amount of PVE for them I will actually make a klingon character :lol

I managed to almost get to liet 9 yesterday, not bad seeing as I had only just hit level 3 when I started.

Liberty4all

Banned
I haven't been following the game at all and have a couple questions.

Any player versus player/faction vs faction options?

Space combat is supposed to be really good I've heard -- is this only PvE or does it include PvP?

borghe

Bamelin said:
I haven't been following the game at all and have a couple questions.

Any player versus player/faction vs faction options?
currently this is pretty much all you can do with klingons aside from some minor PvE story missions and the usual research missions. As for how it is... umm.. I did one zone yesterday (kill the borg in a PvP zone) and there weren't a lot of Kilngons which meant Federation destroying them quickly. But I could see this being very interesting.

Space combat is supposed to be really good I've heard -- is this only PvE or does it include PvP?
both ground and space PvP.. and actually space is probably where more of the PvP will take place just because the space system is so much more fleshed out than the ground system.

kyo_daikun said:
Just a little note, apparently some of the Dev's are hinting that there will be a full Klingon story in the near future as the story writers are doing overtime on the weekends laying it all out, when/if they get a full klingon story and a decent amount of PVE for them I will actually make a klingon character :lol
very much needed. So far PvP is basically like LotR. There is no reason to make a Klingon aside from novelty, and no real reason to level them up. Even if you did put the dedication right now into making a Rear Admiral Klingon, you are going to get destroyed in a war zone thanks to probably being the only one. :p

Walshicus

borghe said:
very much needed. So far PvP is basically like LotR. There is no reason to make a Klingon aside from novelty, and no real reason to level them up. Even if you did put the dedication right now into making a Rear Admiral Klingon, you are going to get destroyed in a war zone thanks to probably being the only one. :p
This is exactly why the House of Gaf needs to be formed. I've decided to spend 1/3rd of my time playing as a Klingon character, and it'd be pretty good if we could co-ordinate for effectiveness. Would certainly be more fun to fight an uphill battle!

JdFoX187

Banned
If we get the House of GAF started, definitely count me in. I have a Klingon character made, just haven't used him for anything yet.

BobLoblaw

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
If we get the House of GAF started, definitely count me in. I have a Klingon character made, just haven't used him for anything yet.
I'm up for the House of GAF, but only after I hit max level on the Fed side.

Top Bottom