• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oasis: Supersonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, most of those were b-sides originally released from 94-96, with the exception of Stay Young and Going Nowhere (both of which were written prior to 1996 anyway...)

The best part of that release was that it made Acquiesce an A-side and I heard it fairly consistently on Alt Rock radio stations over here for a little bit. That was cool.

Bumhead

Banned
Definitely Maybe is one of the best British albums of all time.

It's just a thunderous riot from start to finish. Still sounds just so raw. I think it's absolutely timeless. The one-two-punch of Supersonic and Columbia gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Pulp >>>> Blur > Oasis

As a Sheffielder, I generally approve of this but also think Pulp and Blur aren't compareable in many ways. Something like Definitely Maybe and Different Class are two individual listens to me. Jarvis Cockers lyrics are fucking genius, alongside Morrisey my favourite lyricist. I adore his disgustingly Northern wit attitude to love and sex. But not much gets me hyped to fuck like Definitely Maybe.

Yeah I'm the dummy that made an iTunes UK account and got an iTunes UK gift card because I had no idea (obviously) it would be released the next day in the USA.

Movie is great. The behind the scenes movies are fantastic, but, feels like a lot of this stuff I've heard on boots through the years if you've dug deep enough, so, nice to have the unearthed visuals.

Making my face twitch a little bit at the beginning - The title card of 'Supersonic' hitting during my favorite bit of Columbia drives me up the wall a little bit...like a sign saying blue painted in red.

Fur_Q

Panheads want stabbin.

VuZtc9c.gif

Meier

Blu-Ray is up for preorder in the US! December 20th apparently: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LTHWY3I/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I think it's out today in the UK based on a tweet from Noel earlier.

In other news, some more scuttlebutt about a 2017 reunion: http://www.nme.com/news/music/oasis...1814187?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

However, Australia’s Noise11 claims to have insider information from a “UK rock band from the 90s with a very close connection to Liam Gallagher” who alleged to “have been tapped as the opening act” for reunion shows.

Ride are thought to be the band alluded to, with the author suggesting that “fans could be in for the ‘ride’ of their life”. Andy Bell of Oxford shoegazers Ride played in Oasis and later Beady Eye.

“The Liam and Noel Gallagher rivalry has well and truly been mended, although a public display of antagonism may work in the favour of publicity,” the report goes on to claim.

The original report from Noise11 (who I have personally never heard of) was linked to by Creation Records on Facebook earlier today.

Jezbollah

Their output for about 24 months was insane. Nearly everything they put out 94-96 was a classic.

Truth.

I'll never forget the scenes walking past Our Price at Bishopsgate on the day that WTSMG was released. Queues stretched 30m down the street..

blackw0lf

If you haven't checked out the deluxe editions of DM, WTSMG, and BHN check them out. 40 songs each, with all the b-sides from the albums, tons of demos and live versions, and remastered.

They're up on Spotify.

calder

Watching this now , its fucking brilliant.

The first 15 minutes of the doc were so good I wanted to stop it and wait awhile to make it last longer. The footage they have of their very early practices and pre-band times are unreal. Noel as the soon-to-be-fired drum tech on tour with Inspiral Carpets (a band I liked back in the day!) is hilarious.

Dylan

I was so bummed that I didn't get to see this on the 27th. I had it in my Calendar but got fucked by work as usual (postdoc life).

I'm still pumped to watch this at home, but it would have been nice to watch it in the theatre. There's something about Oasis fans; maybe because of all the "Lad Anthems", that feels way more communal than any other band I've seen.

When I saw Noel Gallagher tour his first solo album in Toronto at Massey Hall, the bar in the basement was packed, and when I went to use the mens' room, someone at one of the urinals started singing the first lines to "Half the World Away". The entire men's room immediately joined in and finished the entire song.

Even if you hate the songs, it's hard to argue that Oasis are simply one of the most entertaining bands off-stage.

The first 15 minutes of the doc were so good I wanted to stop it and wait awhile to make it last longer. The footage they have of their very early practices and pre-band times are unreal. Noel as the soon-to-be-fired drum tech on tour with Inspiral Carpets (a band I liked back in the day!) is hilarious.
Some of Noels haircuts with his time with the carpets were hilarious , I was the same i didnt want it to end. Great insight to a band i thought i knew inside out but obviously didnt.

DBT85

Just finished, loved it. Love the band. despite being 31 I only really listened to them because my dad loved them and I wasn't much into music at the time. These days its different. While decorating my house 12 hours a day I had their discography on loop lol.

Blu-Ray is up for preorder in the US! December 20th apparently: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LTHWY3I/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I think it's out today in the UK based on a tweet from Noel earlier.

In other news, some more scuttlebutt about a 2017 reunion: http://www.nme.com/news/music/oasis...1814187?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

The original report from Noise11 (who I have personally never heard of) was linked to by Creation Records on Facebook earlier today.

Just seen this myself.

Fingers crossed!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Fuck a reunion. Do you want good music or a nostalgia act? Noel's solo albums have been better than anything Oasis has done post 2000.

Good riddance.

123rl

I'm on a major Oasis vibe atm. I just ordered Masterplan on vinyl and it's going to shake the windows when it arrives. Screw the neighbours. I listened to Definitely Maybe this morning while tidying up and sang at the top of my voice through the entire album.

Fuck a reunion. Do you want good music or a nostalgia act? Noel's solo albums have been better than anything Oasis has done post 2000.

Good riddance.

Noel's solo albums are awesome but they don't compare to WTSMG or Definitely Maybe. Also: Different Gear, Still Speeding>all of Noel's solo stuff

I'm on a major Oasis vibe atm. I just ordered Masterplan on vinyl and it's going to shake the windows when it arrives. Screw the neighbours. I listened to Definitely Maybe this morning while tidying up and sang at the top of my voice through the entire album.

Noel's solo albums are awesome but they don't compare to WTSMG or Definitely Maybe. Also: Different Gear, Still Speeding>all of Noel's solo stuff

Them trying to capture the spirit of 20 years ago would just be sad and impossible.

And that > is laughable.

Gandalf

I managed to grab a shameless selfie with Noel last year, as he walked near my Uni. Looking back, I'm amazed he said yes, as I've heard stories of him telling people to do one if they've asked him.

Love Oasis. Champagne Supernova is probably my favourite.

Was a big fan, went to knebworth, owned every single thing they had released until the third album. Listened to that once, hated them ever since.

Bumhead

Banned
Was a big fan, went to knebworth, owned every single thing they had released until the third album. Listened to that once, hated them ever since.

Perfect example of a band its fine to love based on only small chunks of their output.

I class myself as an Oasis fan based entirely on Definitely Maybe, which is fucking brilliant, and WTSMG, which is very good. I can take or leave most of everything else they ever did and I'm not fussed about a reunion. As long as those first 2 albums (and documentaries like this one) exist, I'm good.

Meier

Good riddance.

I love Noel's solo stuff and have fortunately seen him many times now as a solo artist. Some in here may know from my other posts over the many years that I proposed to my wife during a NGHFB gig (the O2 one they put out on Blu-ray coincidentally). We both prefer Noel generally speaking and we met in college since she was wearing an oasis shirt so it was a perfect time to do it. But I'm totally with him about how he described their music during the end of the film. The feeling it brings on.. just that shared euphoria almost, is really unique and a little different than most other bands.

If they never get back together, I'll be okay with that as I am loving everything Noel does (and cautiously optimistic about Liam's new solo stuff), but if they do, and I get to go to some big gig and experience that special feeling again with a lot of other fans, it'll be really wonderful. I don't think seeing Noel solo for the rest of my life will ever cause that same feeling I'd get from the band being back together.

123rl

Damn, this was so good. It does a great job of showing the fine balance between Noel and Liam but never takes a side of one over the other.

Ruruja

Just watched this, fantastic stuff.

Time to listen to Definitely Maybe and get all nostalgic for the 90s again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom