• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

alternade

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to wait until the whole thing finishes airing, and just buy a single month of CBS to binge it. No way I'm paying for 4-5 months of that shit.

Yeah, Cable TV has learned nothing from Netflix eating their lunch. If your going to do an online only show then its either all or nothing. People don't like to wait and will tune out if the show isn't good from the jump and on top of that have to wait a week for more. Atleast if its all there ill power through in hopes of it getting better.

belvedere

Junior Butler
DADmMBlU0AAkRbz.jpg:large

I can't watch that commercial because it needs a Flash player.

So I'm betting there'll be a youtube link here in about 10min, and hopefully that'll get linked.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Looks fantastic. Those Klingons are gonna get another, bigger round of flak now that more people will become aware the show even exists.

"My people were biologically programmed for one purpose alone. To sense the coming of death.

I sense it coming now."

That line feels like it was put in the show for the trailer...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
"My people were biologically programmed for one purpose alone. To sense the coming of death.

I sense it coming now."

I dunno. There's a ton of fan speculation that
Michelle Yeoh's character dies early on, stuff goes south in the two-hour premiere, etc. If any of that occurs, it kinda works for the trailer.

Trailer requires Flash, low resolution with no option for higher...the tech for the trailer doesn't make me want to subscribe to their streaming service.

That was good. I'm not a fan of the way the Klingons look, but everything else looked fine. I hope Discovery being on CBS all access doesn't kill it if it turns out to be great.

They look like the ancient klingons that people predicted. Who knows how much klingons have evolved.

Shoeless

That looked much "higher budget-y" than I was expecting. Looks interesting, but since it's the first season, I won't hold it against the show if it feels uneven. Usually seems to take a few years before a Star Trek show gets its legs.

That was good. I'm not a fan of the way the Klingons look, but everything else looked fine. I hope Discovery being on CBS all access doesn't kill it if it turns out to be great.

this is the way i felt. i am not sure why klingons have to look different

Moff

looks really great
there are 2 big reasons why it's obivous that michelle yeoh dies in the first episode, she is the most well known actress AND the mentor figure of the lead

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Michelle Yeoh's character dies early on, stuff goes south in the two-hour premiere, etc. If any of that occurs, it kinda works for the trailer.

That's basically what I got from the trailer.

They're meant to be
the Ancient Klingons
with
more "regular" looking
Klingons also appearing in the show

jb1234

Aesthetically, it reminds me of the recent movies. So clearly, the budget is pretty high. But this is edited in a way that it doesn't really tell us much about the quality of the writing. And that's what ultimately matters the most for me in Trek.

Okay, so:

"Ten Years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise"

...Ten years before Kirk is Captain of the Enterprise, Spock is already on the Enterprise under Pike. So is it ten years prior to "The Cage/Menagerie" or ten years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before"?

Zoe

The awful splicing in of her name at the beginning of the trailer was pretty cringe-worthy.

Overall the dialog felt pretty stilted.

Okay, so:

...Ten years before Kirk is Captain of the Enterprise, Spock is already on the Enterprise under Pike. So is it ten years prior to "The Cage/Menagerie" or ten years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before"?

"Ten Years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise" makes me think it's ten years before Kirk and Spock were born.

SeanC

Okay, so:

It's 10 years before 1966. This obviously takes place in 1956.

Pilgrimzero

I sense it coming now."

Every episode with him in it would be the Captain asking "How fucked are we?" and him answering "Very". And then they pull a win out of their ass.

TDLink

Okay, so:

I feel like your post here probably put more thought into it than anyone involved with this show, who probably just decided "it's 10 years before the original show".

CSJ

I feel the same, like this is all / mostly from the premiere; I even wonder if this ship is going to get wrecked and we'll get something like the one in the earlier teasers.

Top Bottom