• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nurse at Naval Hospital Taking Racist Photos with Newborns

Maximo

It's amazing how hard people work to ignore, disprove, obfuscate, forget, forgive, and straight up hide racism. Call someone anything you want but never a racist.

Bro they didn't hang those babies can't possible by racist! (sarcasm, have to add this cause the thread is hard to tell...)

Slayven

Everyone in here that isn't jumping on the racism train is apparently a #MAGA, alt-right, ignorant piece of garbage enabling and supporting racism?

I am literally the most liberal person I know personally. I am for reparations, affirmative action, and anything else to stem the tide of ongoing and historical racism that plagues and has plagued black people for generations. I am just unwilling to jump on the racism wagon on this one until I know more. Fire these girls, they obviously deserve it for myriad reasons, but I cannot tell that their actions are racially motivated or just plain stupid.

And apparently.baby shaking too

Protip for "allies" if you starting the sentence with "I am liberal and progressive yada", that shit is "I have black friends " tier. If you talk the talk and walk the walk you don't have to list your credentials

This is pretty clearly a HIPAA violation, and likely a violation of military law, not to mention just a pretty irresponsible way to handle newborns, but the story does not suggest that babies of color were being preferentially targeted for this treatment. This is pretty in line with stupid social media behaviors healthcare workers have been fired for engaging in, tbh.

I saw this news before on a military page, these women are going to get the book thrown on them and then some.

But yet to see any indication this was done out of racist tendencies, instead of what looks like just asshole and stupid fuck tendencies. None of the photos of the babies indicate these are poc. Mini-satans and making babies dance to rap music isn't conclusive one way or another.

Why are we having this conversation in this thread anyway ? Because making it a racist incident is more attention grabbing I suppose.

Strike

Quantum racism.
Be8L3Re.png

Textbook.

What I mean is that we don't know the race of any of the babies involved as far as I know unless the parents have spoken out. The videos and pictures I have seen don't give a clear idea of race.

ok, lets say this isn't about race.

they're physically abusing hours old babies.

and ... whatever kind of abuse it is to call an hours old child a mini satan.

Logistic

People call babies little devils or satans sometimes because they cry often and are not easy to deal with.

I have never heard it used in conjunction with race before.

Making the black babies dance to In Da Club is unfortunate, but I still don't think it is out and out racism, just stupidity and a total lack of being a good nurse and respecting those who are entrusted in your care.

This is stupid girl s being stupid. The nurses on question could just as easily been black and it would still be a fireable offense. Unless they were using racial epithets pr outright showing otherwise disdain or abuse based on race, I am going to sit out the racist drumbeating on this one.

Edit: and while they were being a little rough on the babies, some of you have obviously never seen a baby born before. The nurses in the OR/delivery room are anything BUT gentle to newborns, they whip them around, rub them furiously, pull and yank on their limbs, etc. Babies are resilient and not actually made of thin glass, you know.

This is incredible.

Everyone in here that isn't jumping on the racism train is apparently a #MAGA, alt-right, ignorant piece of garbage enabling and supporting racism?

I am literally the most liberal person I know personally. I am for reparations, affirmative action, and anything else to stem the tide of ongoing and historical racism that plagues and has plagued black people for generations. I am just unwilling to jump on the racism wagon on this one until I know more. Fire these girls, they obviously deserve it for myriad reasons, but I cannot tell that their actions are racially motivated or just plain stupid.

the most liberal person you know?

well, we're all fucked if you're the bar.

kvothe

I'm with you. If I could actually tell these babies were black, I'd fall on the side of these acts being definitely racist. But from the images and video, the babies look white. And there's no mention of the babies' races anywhere other than OP's title. I've googled other versions of this story and still found no mention of it. And while you can say there's certainly some racism involved in making a white baby dance to 50 cent, it's much more abstracted and complicated than making a black baby dance to 50 cent. People acting like "mini satans" is still clearly racially charged if applied to white babies are blowing my mind

And of fucking course it's not okay to do this stuff to babies.

i really REALLY REALLY hope these babies are White.

not because i want White babies to be shaken... but because i don't want AlteredBeast to be my Milkshake Duck.

gcubed

There's a liberal whitey defense force for shaking black newborns.

Let that sink in.

I've watched the video and looked at pictures in stories on the Jacksonville news site and wapo.

I can't tell what race the baby is. Looks like a red crying baby. No one... Except for one crazy misguided soul who I fear for his own child, is defending the nurse.

Rizific

Edit: and while they were being a little rough on the babies, some of you have obviously never seen a baby born before. The nurses in the OR/delivery room are anything BUT gentle to newborns, they whip them around, rub them furiously, pull and yank on their limbs, etc. Babies are resilient and not actually made of thin glass, you know.

uhhhhh yeah, theres a reason those things are done to new born babies. nurses dont exactly unwrap babies hours after they were born and rough them up for fun. babies are resilient, for sure. but using that to justify the actions of this nurse is straight up fucking stupid.

pigeon

Banned
I've watched the video and looked at pictures in stories on the Jacksonville news site and wapo.

I can't tell what race the baby is. Looks like a red crying baby. No one... Except for one crazy misguided soul who I fear for his own child, is defending the nurse.

We have one of those too!

People call babies little devils or satans sometimes because they cry often and are not easy to deal with.

Making the black babies dance to In Da Club is unfortunate, but I still don't think it is out and out racism, just stupidity and a total lack of being a good nurse and respecting those who are entrusted in your care.

This is stupid girl s being stupid. The nurses on question could just as easily been black and it would still be a fireable offense. Unless they were using racial epithets pr outright showing otherwise disdain or abuse based on race, I am going to sit out the racist drumbeating on this one.

I still don't see racism. It could be. I don't even know if these babies are of a different race.

If I had to guess these two thought it was funny to have a baby dance to music. If I had to guess the general baby crying,pooping, etc makes them satans.

I've never really heard satan as a racial slur. But I'm sure you've heard children referred to as demons or heathens or some such in a joking way.

I'm not saying that what they did was ok etc. I see a lot of straw men in this thread. I don't think I've seen anyone defending them, "caping" for them, or "finding this acceptable". I do see a lot of conclusion jumping on the race front. Let's save racist for PDP, the Nazi guy or the many racists there are.

I don't see a racial component based on any of the stories I've read, feel free to show me.

it's not racist to call them mini satans if she's just pissed about babies in general, not because they are black. unless i've missed something, the race angle isn't mentioned in the linked stories.
Hmm, I find the video funny. But I also would understand why some people would me upset over it. However, my daughter is 10 months old and I've used her like a puppet to dance to all sorts of music.
racism must be a hell of a drug

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

When your FUCKING JOB IS TAKE CARE OF THESE BABIES, YOU HAVE NO DAYS OFF OR TAKE YOUR AGGRESSION OUT ON THEM.
Quit, leave, don't abuse the baby to relieve whatever stress or frustration you have built up

Stop making excuses, Now we have stupid girls being stupid, like boys are going to be boys right. Like that washes aways the sins. Hey that boy touched that girl inappropriately, no its not sexual assault, it boys being boys. Hey that stupid girl is harming that baby, no that's not assault, that just a stupid girl being stupid. Hurr durr.

Holy Shit dude, stop trying to create an equalization

Nurses are doing that cause it's their job to get the baby to a good state. Nowhere does it say it's ok a nurse can prop up a baby, you be a puppeteer and to have background music which has racist undertones. Of all the songs, they somehow chose THAT ONE!

The burning, blinding and all encompassing hatred is real. Even the nurses are affected. Our country needs a lobotomy if these people aren't professionally destroyed permanently.

Violater

So you would be ok if the nurse was black and it were your kid?

Kreed

How about just agreeing the actions are fucked up to do to babies and keeping it moving? Of all the threads to debate what is Racism or not on, two people fucking with babies is one I would just look the other way on.

"I really want to complain about outrage and liberals being out of control...but you know what, fuck these two for fucking with babies, they deserve all the outrage and then some. I wonder what's going on in the Wolfenstein II thread?"

Hell, I'm hoping they find these two did some sort of Race crime so they can fuck them over further. If everyone who called these women racist is wrong, was this really the topic you wanted to be "right" on anyway? At the very least, sit back and wait for more facts to come out before you go planting "liberals are out of control" flags.

Also the sooner discrimination has nothing to do with politics in the US, the better. Any "decent" human being should be mad at this regardless of their politics.

KHarvey16

How about just agreeing the actions are fucked up to do to babies and keeping it moving? Of all the threads to debate what is Racism or not on, two people fucking with babies is one I would just look the other way on.

"I really want to complain about outrage and liberals being out of control...but you know what, fuck these two for fucking with babies, they deserve all the outrage and then some. I wonder what's going on in the Wolfenstein II thread?"

Hell, I'm hoping they find these two did some sort of Race crime so they can fuck them over further. If everyone who called these women racist is wrong, was this really the topic you wanted to be "right" on anyway? At the very least, sit back and wait for more facts to come out before you go planting "liberals are out of control" flags.

Also the sooner discrimination has nothing to do with politics in the US, the better. Any "decent" human being should be mad at this regardless of their politics.

Shouldn't we actually prefer there was no racism here?

I don't understand why the Racism Defense Force always, always capes for inherent pieces of shit. It's never someone that could be misunderstood, it's always someone doing shit that's already repugnant with the racism added in. Like maybe your shitty argument is right this time, and all instances of racism brought to GAF's attention are actually not racist at all; we're still talking about a nurse shaking a newborn around. Who the fuck does that? Why are you defending that?

KHarvey16

Would it make these actions less fucked up if they didn't do them because of the babies skin color?

I mean...sort of?

You're telling me that if you were given a choice between having two people do this, or having two people do this and also be racist...you wouldn't prefer the former?

I mean...sort of?

You're telling me that if you were given a choice between having two people do this, or having two people do this and also be racist...you wouldn't prefer the former?

Normal people would prefer it not happen at all.

Racism as a motivation for the behavior of these wastes is a possibility, but apparently one some people are unwilling to entertain.

Kreed

I mean...sort of?

Stupidity is the cause of their actions regardless and they are hurting babies and disrespecting families by putting them on social media without consent. Whether the cause of the stupidity is racism, mental illness, they didn't know any better, the babies had a toy gun and the nurses thought they were real and were defending themselves, who cares?

KHarvey16

Stupidity is the cause of their actions regardless and they are hurting babies and disrespecting families by putting them on social media without consent. Whether the cause of the stupidity it's racism, mental illness, they didn't know any better, the babies had a toy gun and the nurses thought they were real and were defending themselves, who cares?

Your realize this line of argument relegates racism as a motivation for immoral and/or illegal activity to complete irrelevance, right? We as a society have decided that doing a bad thing can actually be worse if done for certain reasons, and racial hatred is rightly one of them.

Take a step or two back from this specific example and ask yourself if you preferred racism didn't motivate crimes any longer. Is that better? Even if crimes are still committed?

Here we are with a thread about two jackass nurses forcing babies to dance to inappropriate music, flipping them off, and calling them satan all on social media without anyone's consent, and yet we have people more concerned about the acts being "mislabeled" racist? Sounds about right.

Same as it ever was..

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
This thread is giving me a headache.

Listen, these ladies are terrible people that deserve to be fired. But I can't make out the race of those babies. This thread is the only reporting of the incident that even mentions race.

RMI

Banned
I'm having a hard time really finding the words to express how I feel after watching that video. Bitch should catch hands.

Yo also you all need to stop bringing up mental illness in threads where it is clearly plain jackassery and/or racism. It's disgusting.

Two Words

Hmm, I find the video funny. But I also would understand why some people would me upset over it. However, my daughter is 10 months old and I've used her like a puppet to dance to all sorts of music.
Okay. How would you feel if a complete stranger did that to your baby? Like, do you honestly not have an issue with strangers deciding to use your child as a rag doll?

Boke1879

To people saying she's calling babies in general "mini satans" or she just dislikes all babies.

Why the FUCK would you have a job where you either deliver or primarily work with babies?

Kreed

Your realize this line of argument relegates racism as a motivation for immoral and/or illegal activity to complete irrelevance, right? We as a society have decided that doing a bad thing can actually be worse if done for certain reasons, and racial hatred is rightly one of them.

Take a step or two back from this specific example and ask yourself if you preferred racism didn't motivate crimes any longer. Is that better? Even if crimes are still committed?

Let's dial this discussion back to this specific news story. When it comes to law in the US, intent matters with crimes in general and these distinctions are important. When it comes to this specific story however and my opinion on the actions, all we really know 100% are the actions of these two jack asses are fucked up and deserve some sort of punishment and I don't need to know whether the actions were Racist or not to call the actions fucked up.

sanadawarrior

Neo Member
To people saying she's calling babies in general "mini satans" or she just dislikes all babies.

Why the FUCK would you have a job where you either deliver or primarily work with babies?

I am not sure you get to choose your assignments like that in the military. Maybe someone who actually served could chime in?

So that shitter is gone from her job at this point. She doesn't deserve the title of nurse. Naval Hospital is gonna get the lawsuit of a century cause that is some fucked up shit to do to newborns and it happened at their hospital.

I wouldn't be surprised and would welcome child endangerment charges leveed against the nurse. I think the nurse is lucky not a single one of the newborn's mother was there at the time of video because it would be a beatdown if not outright murder if the mother saw what was happening.

It frightens me to think that my 2 month old nephew could have been one of those newborns at a hospital if he was unfortunate enough to be born at that hospital.

I am not sure you get to choose your assignments like that in the military. Maybe someone who actually served could chime in?

If the women in the OP are quad zero corpsman, then they are at the mercy of 'needs of the Navy'.

For example, for one duty station a quad zero corpsman may be assigned to a ward. The next duty station may have him/her assigned to gastro, oral, ER, neuro clinics, etc.

Tigress

it's not racist to call them mini satans if she's just pissed about babies in general, not because they are black. unless i've missed something, the race angle isn't mentioned in the linked stories.

She still doesn't belong in that job if she hates babies that much. Would you want some one who considers your baby a mini Satan to be around your baby? They can't possibly try too hard to take good care when they resent their job that much and hate their charges that much (she flipped the kid off even!!! I don't like babies myself but I wouldn't even be that resentful towards them. They are innocent and living things and things they do that are annoying they can't help).

There's not really much defense for them. And sorry, it does look really bad that she picked a black baby and also made it dance to rap music. But still, when the best thing/defense you could say about it is that it's possible it's not racist, well, it's not good.

Top Bottom