• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

But guess wat they are getting PAID to play..

Yeah, and they don't have to play on the national team. It's 100% their choice.

Just like they can choose to play pickup at the gym. But hey, the USOC will pay for all their travel, hotel, food, among other things while they visit a foreign country and experience shit.

WAAAAAHHHHHHH

I can see how you guys have a point but I'm not buying this "it's a business they should split up the money". Athletes also get great exposure to the world in the olympics and that itself fuels sales for their own jerseys and worth.

I completely disagree with "They should go because they receive those benefits"

I get paid a hell of a lot less and I can relate. There's this notorious gig offer for musicians in the classical world that's gotten posted, where a restaurant manager asked like a string instrument group "Come play at my restaurant and you may eat our food, we can't pay you but your exposure to all our clients will benefit you!"

The appropriate response?

"Come make food for my friends and family for free. It'll gain exposure for your restaurant."

WAAAAAHHHHHHH

I still don't get what that's for

Emwitus

Actually I'm pretty sure if you set up an international plumbing competition where you can win a gold medal, travel somewhere exotic, and watch all the other construction industry competitions for free, plumbers would be all over that.

Not if the water companies plastered the competition with their marketing and made tons of money out of it, while they spend money aquiring plumbing equipment to fix the pipes.

Not if the water companies plastered the competition with their marketing and made tons of money out of it, while they use all they spend money aquiring plumbing equipment to fix the pipes.

NBA players pay for the basketballs and jerseys?

It's practically a free vacation with pickup games on a worldwide stage...

Their bodies are their instruments of trade. They have to maintain them for their living. They could get injured right? No?

And how do they maintain them? They play pickup games all summer. They don't just sit on their ass all summer (well, Raymond Felton does).

And again, no one forces them to do it. They choose to do it.

they're just as likely to be hurt playing at the Olympics as they are in pickup games at home.

But they have a chance to sell their brand at one, not the other.

Pickup games?

lol

Bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Emwitus

And how do they maintain them? They play pickup games all summer. They don't just sit on their ass all summer (well, Raymond Felton does).

And again, no one forces them to do it. They choose to do it.

they're just as likely to be hurt playing at the Olympics as they are in pickup games at home.

But they have a chance to sell their brand at one, not the other.

So who profits from those pick up games? Geez. They also go out to walmart and use their legs i gues.

So who profits from those pick up games? Geez. They also go out to walmart and use their legs i gues.

They are having all their meals/travel/lodging and even entertainment provided for. That's their compensation.

And again, it's their fucking choice. I'd be against the NBA requiring it, but if they have a say, then I see no reason for them to be paid.

Furthermore, it's not even definite anyone really profits off them. NBC is predicted to lose money, IIRC, on their Olympic deal (at the least it's a big gamble). The research on products like Coke is iffy. I dunno if Nike really makes much profit.

And of course, the USOC is non-profit. They license to pay for it all. Is it really that important to take away from what they provide?

If Kobe's there you think anyone's gonna be messing around a whole ton? The team will be doing work...most of the games are a cakewalk for them and I'm sure they have a ton of fun and free time but it's not just a vacation

This whole discussion is just now coming down to "I don't like/don't care that someone said they should get paid"

Furthermore, it's not even definite anyone really profits off them. NBC is predicted to lose money, IIRC, on their Olympic deal (at the least it's a big gamble). The research on products like Coke is iffy. I dunno if Nike really makes much profit.

you really think this event would happen if no one profits from it?

Canuck76

Banned
And a chance to plan your failed free agent power trio's

HEY-OH!

Hey guys i was talking about

images

Emwitus

They are having all their meals/travel/lodging and even entertainment provided for. That's their compensation.

And again, it's their fucking choice. I'd be against the NBA requiring it, but if they have a say, then I see no reason for them to be paid.

And of course, the USOC is non-profit. They license to pay for it all. Is it really that important to take away from what they provide?

That is how buisnesses work, they take risks with the expectations of making profit. As for the "compensation", that being the key word since they are their to entertain an audience....Is a clever way to term work puppet.

USOC is non-profit but they do get their funding from somewhere right? And who do you think provides most of it?

pilonv1

Clippers looked like red hot trash today, 14/30FT, were up 21-5 early, only put it away in the last few minutes.

I can easily see them going out of the playoffs in 5 games

Can someone post some sources that show that all these companies are profiting off of the olympics? Not saying I don't believe it but I've never actually seen any hard proof

giri

Other countries poach NBA players for international ball all the time. Russia, England... don't be surprised if Australia ponies up for LIL KYRIE in London as well.

Uhh, they'll just run patty mills.

I think you overestimate how much most of AU care about basketball.

Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward have been really good post all-star break. Favors has become a really good defender and Hayward's shooting off the dribble has been great.

Al and Millsap had the best season of their career. Al passed a lot better and Millsap rebounded a lot better this year.

Kanter is still really raw and probably losing the GS pick sucks, but it really was a good year for the Jazz even if they miss the playoffs...

your responses are very constructive

really made some great points there

Dude....

Nike makes a gwop off of Team USA shit.

The NBA profits from having the best of it's league style on fools.

NBC ratings go through the roof.

Like c'mon that is common knowledge that people made a ton of cash of of the olympics...not just the US teams either.

If Kobe's there you think anyone's gonna be messing around a whole ton? The team will be doing work...most of the games are a cakewalk for them and I'm sure they have a ton of fun and free time but it's not just a vacation

This whole discussion is just now coming down to "I don't like/don't care that someone said they should get paid"

Like I said, i exaggerated. Although some of those games are basically scrimmages.

you really think this event would happen if no one profits from it?

Yes. Happens all the fucking time. It's not that the event isn't profitable, it obviously is. It's just the valuing the event itself isn't so straight forward. NBC could profit, but if they overpaid, they won't.

I'm pretty sure is just big dick swinging, not making money. Nike profits though, probably.

That is how buisnesses work, they take risk with the expectations of making profit. As for the "compensation", that being the key word since they are their to entertain an audience....Is a clever way to term work puppet.

USOC is none-profit but they do get their funding from somewhere right? And who do you think provides most of it?

yeah, from the licensing. But they don't use that money to profit. Everything is put into paying all the expenses and providing for their charitable causes...

Players should look at it as charity to help athletes that don't make money and stuff like funding the para-Olympics and stuff.

Millionaires shouldn't be whining about the Olympics. It sounds so stupid.

NBC paid $4.4 billion for the TV rights for the Olympics? Where do you think all that money is going? And why would NBC pay that much if they weren't looking to make more money off of them?

I bet they overshot and won't profit. I believe they lost money on the last 2 olympics.

Top Bottom