• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hamdammage said:
Anyway to keep the swirly waves with a custom theme/background? I love those swirly things and can't give them up.
the default system background?

yes, choose "no wallpaper" from your system settings. It will display the default sony background. The only catch is that it will force the color that the theme creator chooses, and I don't know if this is selectable by the user.

Also for theme creators, you can actually include multiple wallpapers. The system will then randomly choose a wallpaper from your theme at each startup.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I hope sony makes them more user friendly and easier to locate/download, because right now I'm sure only a handful of people even know about it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
msdstc said:
I hope sony makes them more user friendly and easier to locate/download, because right now I'm sure only a handful of people even know about it.

They're going up on the PS store today most likely.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
chubigans said:
They're going up on the PS store today most likely.

i figured that... because I just saw you guys link all the themes, some of the originals by sony are awesome, didn't even know you could get them though.

h3ro

msdstc said:

I'm sure we'll be able to download these directly from the PSN Store sooner or later...

Flek

Banned
borghe said:
Also for theme creators, you can actually include multiple wallpapers. The system will then randomly choose a wallpaper from your theme at each startup.

yes up to 16 different

tanod

when is my burrito
Ken Masters said:
how do you put these themes on the ps3? and how would you switch between them? can you have multiple themes for selection?

If you download them through the PS3 web browser, they will automatically install. The same goes for downloading them off the store. You can also download them to your PC and move them with a USB stick or memory card to the PS3.

You can have multiple themes on your system and you can switch between them with the theme menu.

h3ro

TONX said:
Oh wow! you can change the colors of the notifications with the themes!

I just installed the sample theme and Queeg just signed on and it was transparent blue. :lol

I can't find the option to do this, is it something that just happens with the theme change, meaning the theme specifies which color the notifications will be?

jakster4u

We need some gaf's art type to make us a XP theme for the PS3!:lol
Start button as the first icon, and so forth. IE button for the internet browser...

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
i have no idea, but it definitely wasnt blue before i changed it to the sample theme.

i just played tekken online though and notifications went back to grey, so im guessing its only when you're on the XMB.

glaurung

Code:
<notification src="notification.png" />

That's from within the XML file.

The PNG itself is a gradient square with round corners... Guess what would happen if this was transparent altogether...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TONX said:
i have no idea, but it definitely wasnt blue before i changed it to the sample theme.

i just played tekken online though and notifications went back to grey, so im guessing its only when you're on the XMB.

That cant be right, because in Everyday Shooter my notifications were still black...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
chubigans said:
That cant be right, because in Everyday Shooter my notifications were still black...

notifications change by theme right? So maybe the color just changes.. I wanna check em all out now.

Someone make a theme that is exactly the same as the original theme but with a PSN icon that matches all the other main XMB icons. Then do a black version of that too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
badcrumble said:
Someone make a theme that is exactly the same as the original theme but with a PSN icon that matches all the other main XMB icons. Then do a black version of that too.

That icon cannot be changed, unfortunately.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Someone needs to make PS3 version of the PSP Neon and Vista joints.

So there's no way to download these directly to the system if it's connected to the internet? I don't have any other means at the moment.

Ok, since I have a 20gig (no card reader), my only means of transferring files to my PS3 is via USB on my PSP.

anyone have any ideas where I would put a one of these .p3t files on my PSP so I could transfer it to my PS3? I tried just dumping it (the cool sample one) in my PSP Themes folder, but my PS3 couldn't find it.

also, when I the direct link to the sample.p3t in the PS3 browser, it just brings up a page of moon runes w. no download. :(

HALP

h3ro

TheJollyCorner said:
Ok, since I have a 20gig (no card reader), my only means of transferring files to my PS3 is via USB on my PSP.

anyone have any ideas where I would put a one of these .p3t files on my PSP so I could transfer it to my PS3? I tried just dumping it (the cool sample one) in my PSP Themes folder, but my PS3 couldn't find it.

also, when I the direct link to the sample.p3t in the PS3 browser, it just brings up a page of moon runes w. no download. :(

HALP

You have to put it in the /PS3/Theme/<theme file> folder format for the PS3 to read it...

Gattsu25

Banned
brandonh83 said:
So there's no way to download these directly to the system if it's connected to the internet? I don't have any other means at the moment.
buy a PSP. Now for only $169!!

brandonh83 said:

The JPN themes say they will DL to the photos directory but then are on your themes list once done.

The sample link doesn't work in PS3 Browser for some reason.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
hey guys, I know XML and I'm good at art, and I will have a shit load of free time the next two weeks, so any requests?

krypt0nian said:
The JPN themes say they will DL to the photos directory but then are on your themes list once done.

The sample link doesn't work in PS3 Browser for some reason.

Oh sweet, yeah, that's what happened and I thought it was saving it as a photo. Thanks for the heads up.

Kodiak said:
hey guys, I know XML and I'm good at art, and I will have a shit load of free time the next two weeks, so any requests?

!

I guess just Metal Gear/Silent Hill/Final Fantasy themes, for me anyway.

h3ro

Hmm, not sure how you can put them in different folders without using a PC, but if you can hook up to a PC, you could put the files in the necessary folders so the PS3 picks it up...

Speevy

Banned
What someone needs to make is a simple drop-down "Browse for image" package taht has all the different options, so you can't make a mistake (i.e. it would tell you what size images to make, give you error messages).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Kodiak said:
Think you can make something with a nice flOw theme or LittleBigPlanet?

Tieno

Kodiak said:
Ico
Shadow of The Colossus
Halo/Master Chief

RuGalz

For people who are turning away from trying it because it's not a GUI tool... Don't be...

The simplest way to start would be just replacing the images in the sample folder and run the tool as is. You shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you use the right format images...

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
TheJollyCorner said:
ugh... how do I do that? I know, I know... I'm a moron. :(

In the main folder, make a folder called PS3, and in that folder, make a folder called THEME, then put the theme file in the THEME folder.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ok I can't take all those requests at once, but I think I'm gonna start working on these: Metal Gear, Little Big Planet, and Shadow of the Colossus.

tanod

when is my burrito
TheJollyCorner said:
ugh... how do I do that? I know, I know... I'm a moron. :(

Put the PSP in USB mode when you hook it up to a PC. Open up the "Device" under My Computer and set up the folder structure there.

Tieno

Kodiak said:
Ok I can't take all those requests at once, but I think I'm gonna start working on these: Metal Gear, Little Big Planet, and Shadow of the Colossus.
Realise that Sony will probably put up Metal Gear and LBP themes themselves as the release of those games gets closer.

Ploid 3.0

RuGalz said:
For people who are turning away from trying it because it's not a GUI tool... Don't be...

The simplest way to start would be just replacing the images in the sample folder and run the tool as is. You shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you use the right format images...

This is what I was thinking. Was totally going to pass it by after seeing that long code seanoff posted on this page lol. I shall take a crack at it soon.

TONX said:
In the main folder, make a folder called PS3, and in that folder, make a folder called THEME, then put the theme file in the THEME folder.

you're talking for the PSP right?

I did that. Then when I went to the PS3 to 'install' it a message came up that there were "no items to install"... damn!

maybe I'll just stick with the ones on the damn Japanese page. I really liked that sample one, too. :(

Top Bottom