• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

dionysus

Yaldog
I also just started. The acronyms and lingo is daunting for a noob.

Are there any builds that have some diversity in your actions? So far everything I have looked at and played is basically you just max out the potential of 1 skill, maybe 2. I've played mostly an essence drain & contagion trickster and that frost blades hunter recommended above. I don't see myself playing a game where I do the same 1 or 2 actions a billion times.

Dahbomb

Are there any builds that have some diversity in your actions? So far everything I have looked at and played is basically you just max out the potential of 1 skill, maybe 2. I've played mostly an essence drain & contagion trickster and that frost blades hunter recommended above. I don't see myself playing a game where I do the same 1 or 2 actions a billion times.
That's generally most ARPGs. Even if you found a build that somehow used 4-5 actions then you would still feel repetitive.

And it's not always 1 action.

For example that Frost Blade build is one of the easiest builds to play but you still have to press more than one button.

Example:

*Whirling Blade to move around, activate Fortify and Dodge.

*Use Frost Bomb, Ancestral totem and Orb of Storms on bosses.

*Use Vaal Haste and Grace while mapping around.

*Of course you always have to be using flasks as well.

I think Summoner builds require most actions though. They tend to be the most active playstyle.

JoeMartin

While mindlessly hitting your primary skill can carry you thru the game,, yes that will be the case. But after you've progressed beyond that point the difficulty comes from applying your skill(s) in a myriad of external situations without dying to them or killing yourself.

dionysus

Yaldog
While mindlessly hitting your primary skill can carry you thru the game,, yes that will be the case. But after you've progressed beyond that point the difficulty comes from applying your skill(s) in a myriad of external situations without dying to them or killing yourself.

So basically the game will open up more at the end game?

Dahbomb

So basically the game will open up more at the end game?
Well super end game more like it when you get to stuff Atziri, Uber Atziri, Guardians and Shaper. That's when you would have to actually dodge stuff and have some mechanical skill. Before that you can just rush down most encounters.

Rufus

Don't expect mechanical complexity from this genre. Not as far as execution goes. ARPGs are grinding and loot games first and foremost. It's all about character progression. The combat is perfunctory.

Am I doing something wrong that I can't sustain maps beyond about Tier ~11? Is that as intended? (Meaning I don't find one on average per map I run)
You're not intended to sustain them at that level, no.

Of course if you can afford to run one, a Bisco's Collar lets you sustain much better.

Oh damn this looks perfect for Spectre.

t437WGi.png

I can have 9 zombies, 9 skellies and 3 spectres, so that's:
+18% Minion ASpd
+18% Minion Duration
+24% Minion Damage

On the other hand it's a hella cheaper to setup 3L+3L compared to 6L, and I have a 188ES shield right now.

I've been trying out Path of Building and seems like it's missing quite some stuff? I can't even craft my gloves because there's no +INT option to prefix/suffix. I can't set the right +ES/StunBlock recover either.

Dahbomb

I've been trying out Path of Building and seems like it's missing quite some stuff? I can't even craft my gloves because there's no +INT option to prefix/suffix. I can't set the right +ES/StunBlock recover either.
Are you choosing the right bases? Intelligence should be in Suffix options for ES gloves.

Increased ES/Stun recovery is a prefix on gloves.

Oh damn this looks perfect for Spectre.

I can have 9 zombies, 9 skellies and 3 spectres, so that's:
+18% Minion ASpd
+18% Minion Duration
+24% Minion Damage

On the other hand it's a hella cheaper to setup 3L+3L compared to 6L, and I have a 188ES shield right now.

Doesn't look bad, but you'd be better off with the Scourge Terror Claw for the 10-15% minion attack speed and 70% minion damage if you've hit recently (each if you wore 2, though that might be overkill).

Of course that means you'll need a 6L chest, preferably a Vid Mortis for that extra specter if that's your 6L.

JoeMartin

You're missing something because all those options certainly exist in PoB.

3Gk2Iex.png

Thanks. What would that equivalent be on xbox?

It’s in your equipment window. Micro transactions is on the flip side of that display. Boxes will be displayed in the upper right window as unopened. You get the dramatic opening effect when you do. Then, depending on what you get, you assign it in the equipment window on the left

Zynx

With the neogaf drama, are we going to do a backup/alternative discord?

I actually did set one up awhile ago but there's like 3 people.

e: since some ppl asked, quote this post for the link

Not going to account suicide or anything but I don't really feel comfortable posting here anymore. How active is the ingame guild? Could I get an invite?

People in our PoE guild are good people from my experience. I'd hate it if people outside that circle managed to ruin a good thing.

Not going to account suicide or anything but I don't really feel comfortable posting here anymore. How active is the ingame guild? Could I get an invite?

Most active after major content patches / league starts, and activity dies down over time from that. Until next major content patch and/or league comes along.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Next season I want to play a sword and board tank, what are my best options? Nothing super expensive, the build I played this time really needed KH which I couldn't afford so I'm squishy.

KKRT00

I can login and give you an invite if you want, but i dont think its active right now.
It will definitely be active in December when GGG will release another update.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Max block necro witch? It’d be layers upon layers of protection!

I looked into this and it seems decent, I saw a Scorching Ray build which I liked but it's not really good before level 50 which sucks a bit, my current build kicked in at 38 and that felt long, maybe I just need to get faster at leveling :D

I looked into this and it seems decent, I saw a Scorching Ray build which I liked but it's not really good before level 50 which sucks a bit, my current build kicked in at 38 and that felt long, maybe I just need to get faster at leveling :D
I really like my burning spectre build (has 70% block with bone offering). If you get 2x princess sabres and a tabula rasa, you can comfortably level with frost blades until level 40 or so (then get a cauterizer and keep going if you don't wanna go spectre at that point).

Gear is cheap, a tabula will get you through the shaper if you don't want to invest in a 6L vis mortis. If you have 70c or so, get a +1 gems tabula for even crazier leveling. SRS leveling kinda sucks, so I'd recommend going with a melee skill and buying OP weapons as you level.

If you have an empower lvl 2 and a +1 tabula (buy a corrupted one for 5c), you can go with spectres at level 25 and wreck the entire game by summoning them from a lvl 60 hideout.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1971585

RS4-

Got a zerker up to 80, decided to try out the necro build, since I had a witch sitting from the breach league at 78; had to respec everything and gear up.

Some bad luck: in the build above, I had the same items for my AG, which was slotted in my helm. Found a better ring resistance wise (and better dex + int); except I fucked up, instead of immediately swapping rings, I unequipped it and my helm was suddenly unusable because one of the gems required another 2 dex.

There goes the AG. Fucking garbage.

RS4-

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up though. I'm about to roll a 2x dyadus AG.

Yeah, more annoying since it's such a hassle dealing with sellers that don't respond.

Did get lucky with my Vis Mortis, ending up 6 linking within 10 or so lol. Don't have an empower gem and I have to figure out my other empty slots. I think Empower is the only gem I'm missing atm. I didn't run the double gems like desecrate, etc yet

Mapping is such a chore.

Mapping sucks less if you go with 3x wicker men 1x tuko and run inc aoe. Still not the fastest clearer, but with 4x movement flasks it does well enough.

I've read that solar guards are also great.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The update looks great except making my tornado ranger suck even worse. Still really pissed about the trade manifest basically saying no filters for Xbox version. This season I'll try a meta build maybe make it to tier 10 unaltered maps. Fun game but bad desions on the console side. The economy is already a disaster and it be worse as more leave thanks to the trade system.

WaterAstro

1 more day. I haven't played in a year, so I dived in to see what I missed. Holy crap, they added so much stuff. It's like they already made Diablo 4 already lol.

Top Bottom