• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

J3ffro

Well this sucks, completed a quest last night that gave me an option of two different epic schematics. Upon completing I go and pick the one I want but then it lets me choose a second time which I thought was odd. So I choose the same one again and then it errors out on me and kicks me back to the home screen. I immediately log back in thinking it'll let me pick the weapon again but now the quest is gone and it's not under my completed tab either. Really really sucks to complete something only for the game to be like "fuck you" and erase my progress.

I had the exact same thing the other day. I pressed the feedback button, and told them, and a few days later found the first one in my inventory.

I could have sworn it was the schematic, and not just the gun, and all I got was the gun. Better than nothing, and maybe I was remembering the reward wrong.

Sness

Banned
As I play this more, I think I wish I waited for F2P.

I feel like I've (knowingly) paid to play a beta. It's a very polished beta, but it's still rough around the edges.

On PC the game doesn't have an FOV slider/adjustment yet, which has been mildly nausea inducing, specifically when searching for stuff. I often have this issue (Borderlands is one of the worst for me), but it can easily be corrected with FOV adjustment, which I would assume is coming soon since this isn't a competitive game (who cares if someone 'fish eyes' their view?).

Secondly, although others don't seem to think it's a big deal, I played a bunch with friends recently, unfortunately to find out that only the host gets completion for certain "base building" type missions, which prevents progression for the rest of the party until they have done that quest solo/as a host. Not sure what I'm going to do now, as I refuse to do those extremely boring missions again with the annoying voice overs. I kinda expected to be able to stay lockstep with my friends so we could play together in a meaningful way, but I'm not playing/grinding solo or with randoms to enable that.

Finally, the skill tress and experience gain (everything you do to improve your character/overall account) is far too convoluted for me. I just don't think this will be worth my time (however much) to learn these systems like other games often are.

I do think the actual gameplay is fun, building is fun with friends, and the controls feel good. Art style is great, looks and run well on PC, great colors. It's just getting to all that is a bit of a chore.

Archpath1

They should give you a quick destroy option for the player that built the piece.

Best thing I found to do is change the shape and whack it, when you change shape it resets the walls health making it a little quicker then starting it at full health

jasonng

I'm incredibly addicted to this game but there are so many little things about it that's preventing it from being AMAZING.

My two biggest complaints is that the classes don't feel different at all. There are no weapon restrictions and the only difference I've found so far are the 2 or 3 class skills that I barely use. In any other game this wouldn't be a big deal but here it makes the game feel less co-operative.

The second thing is WHY IS THERE NO SURVIVAL/HORDE MODE!? All this level progression is going to make it hard to play with my friends who are waiting it to go f2p. All I want to do is get dropped in a random generated map with my friends where we build a base from scratch and survive waves of husks.

I'm incredibly addicted to this game but there are so many little things about it that's preventing it from being AMAZING.

My two biggest complaints is that the classes don't feel different at all. There are no weapon restrictions and the only difference I've found so far are the 2 or 3 class skills that I barely use. In any other game this wouldn't be a big deal but here it makes the game feel less co-operative.

The second thing is WHY IS THERE NO SURVIVAL MODE!? All this level progression is going to make it hard to play with my friends who are waiting it to go f2p. All I want to do is get dropped in a random generated map with my friends where we build a base from scratch and survive waves of husks.
They had a mode like that in early alpha, they are working on it for release.

The second thing is WHY IS THERE NO SURVIVAL/HORDE MODE!? All this level progression is going to make it hard to play with my friends who are waiting it to go f2p. All I want to do is get dropped in a random generated map with my friends where we build a base from scratch and survive waves of husks.

Survival/horde mode is on the table for a future update just want to make it meaningful and have a place in the story. They stated in an AMA that they had lots of seasonal events, and other game modes in the works.

Lettuce

Yep. Basically if you go into your account on Epics site, or make one and go to account management there's an option to link accounts. Once your ps4 and PC accounts are tied you're basically given both copies.

I bought it on ps4, linked my account and booted it up on PC.

This the same for XB1?

Bought the game on PC today, love Epic games and am a big supporter of Paragon. Don't know how much I'll play it but wanted to show some love.

Sness

Banned
Another question: I've had a few issues with this game, but I'm seeing on reddit and elsewhere this sentiment of, "well this is early access, what do you want, etc". That's fine, and I'm playing on PC, but isn't this being sold as a full priced retail game for consoles right now? I've looked at a few retailers, and this doesn't seem to be indicated on any retailers page, or on the front of the box (from what I can see).

Seems like Epic is trying to get the best of all situations while avoiding the cons.

Turkoop

Banned
They should give you a quick destroy option for the player that built the piece.

Best thing I found to do is change the shape and whack it, when you change shape it resets the walls health making it a little quicker then starting it at full health

They already noticed this feature, hope they will release it very soon.

how fun is this game if you dont have people to team up with? I love the art and the game play mechanics, but Im scared I'll be left out by just playing with randos

R0ckman

I think the heroes/heroines are not ferequent enough in drops, I've got tons of legendary suvivors, which imo are worth more to your content progress than heroes and heroines, unless I'm not understaning how it works.

Another question: I've had a few issues with this game, but I'm seeing on reddit and elsewhere this sentiment of, "well this is early access, what do you want, etc". That's fine, and I'm playing on PC, but isn't this being sold as a full priced retail game for consoles right now? I've looked at a few retailers, and this doesn't seem to be indicated on any retailers page, or on the front of the box (from what I can see).

Seems like Epic is trying to get the best of all situations while avoiding the cons.

Epic already gave a reason why they have a retail version it's the exact same as the $60 digital version they just wanted to have a physical version for people who wanted a physical version simple as that.

Also for a $40-60 entrance fee game for EA you are easily getting over 100 hours of content which most games don't even give 10-20% of that.

From Epic Games
"We are offering our Deluxe Edition Founder's Pack, which costs $60, at both digital and retail stores because we know some people like to purchase their games physically," executive producer Zak Phelps told Digital Trends. "They both get the same benefits and exclusive items only available in Founder's Packs. Aside from Early Access to Fortnite and special in-game events this year, we've jammed tons of items, Heroes and loot pinatas (our loot crates) into every Founder's Pack."

How did I notice it in 5 minutes of playing, but they couldn't include it in 6 years of development?

The game we are playing currently is not what they were working on 6 years ago. The game has changed aspects and systems many times over even since the alpha. But even more from what it was originally going to be, which was a pure L4D experience with strong narrative and building aspects.

Really as simple as this, judging from all your posts and criticisms the game just is not for you... sorry you're not enjoying it. But your main gripe about a single mission type is just you not wanting to see that narratively it makes perfect sense why you can't complete your "unique" base defense missions in other people's "unique" bases. Which just for the record when doing those with friends or helping others you do get 20% extra reward XP and extra mission rewards so they do incentivsis you for helping friends even though it may not push the narrative for you.

I think the heroes/heroines are not ferequent enough in drops, I've got tons of legendary suvivors, which imo are worth more to your content progress than heroes and heroines, unless I'm not understaning how it works.

You unlock a good few heroes from progressing through the tutorial and story missions FYI. Some are given as rewards!

Survivors are very strong. I think my legendary survivor I got up to level 10 is at least 30-35 points. Which means 30-35% extra damage if I slot it into an offense group. And you can have like 10 of those late game, so 300% extra damage.

I sent the main hero that I play who's level 20 on an 8 hour expedition like 16 hours ago, get on just now, the expedition shows up as complete, but there's no way to get the hero out of it or receive the rewards. I don't understand.

Edit: Had to exit and start the game again. Somehow failed with a 90% chance to succeed. Whatever. Expeditions are just a shittier version of World of Warcraft's Garrison missions.

Sness

Banned
Epic already gave a reason why they have a retail version it's the exact same as the $60 digital version they just wanted to have a physical version for people who wanted a physical version simple as that.

From Epic Games
"We are offering our Deluxe Edition Founder's Pack, which costs $60, at both digital and retail stores because we know some people like to purchase their games physically," executive producer Zak Phelps told Digital Trends. "They both get the same benefits and exclusive items only available in Founder's Packs. Aside from Early Access to Fortnite and special in-game events this year, we've jammed tons of items, Heroes and loot pinatas (our loot crates) into every Founder's Pack."

To each their own, but frankly I think Epic Games are playing games with this "early access" bullshit. Charge full price, but have protection from any issue/criticism because it's "early access". Very anti-consumer in my opinion. This is a paid-beta for an eventual F2P (probably P2W). Dunno what I was thinking buying in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone could buy Fortnite at retail and not know it's early access status? Seems bad.

The game we are playing currently is not what they were working on 6 years ago. The game has changed aspects and systems many times over even since the alpha. But even more from what it was originally going to be, which was a pure L4D experience with strong narrative and building aspects.

Really as simple as this, judging from all your posts and criticisms the game just is not for you... sorry you're not enjoying it. But your main gripe about a single mission type is just you not wanting to see that narratively it makes perfect sense why you can't complete your "unique" base defense missions in other people's "unique" bases.

I just think the can't "delete" oversight is the epitome of types of design decisions that negatively impact this game. It's just so simple, after the initial few minutes of playing you are wondering if you are missing something mega obvious. I'm actually surprised you don't have to grind or pay to unlock the feature, although maybe it's hidden in the labyrinth of unlockables.

You're absolutely right though, despite liking the concept, art, and controls, the overall the game isn't for me. I wanted to like it because a friend was super hyped, but I can't (physically or mentally, the game makes me a bit motion sick due to lack of fov slider). I see the appeal, but there are so many other quality, polished experiences competing for my time on PC and console. I've emailed Epic requesting a refund. If not, I'll cut my losses and maybe revisit this in a year or so.

Thanks for the explanations. I now understand why the mission is like that, because of narrative. I'm just trying to point out that's a horrible design choice for a game I think a lot of people would want to play cooperatively. I thought that was the only way to play. Lots of people will find out, like me, after lengthy play sessions they received none of the quest progress/rewards after these "stormshield" quest stopgaps.

Has anyone worked out a good way to stack certain decks or are we too early on to really worry about that?

I think I've found my favourite character type in the ninja since I love the extra movement but the character who can reinforce the bases is really cool too, she's just a bit slow moving.

Really enjoying the founders rifle as my weapon of choice too but I've also got an epic level scoped assault rifle that fires in bursts and just wrecks everything.

Still stuck in the first area but I'm really liking it so far. I'd be down for more modes though. Maybe some sort of dungeon raid where you push into an open area and get a couple minutes to just build whatever to try survive a massive wave of enemies.

I'd also be interested in a mode with 6-8 players where you just have a 50 wave survival like GoW Horde mode which would hopefully give a bit more reason to building an elaborate base. That said I'm only in stonewood so maybe that will change.

I'd kinda like to see more to do at the base too. Maybe get some survivors actually moving in etc.

Thanks for the explanations. I now understand why the mission is like that, because of narrative. I'm just trying to point out that's a horrible design choice for a game I think a lot of people would want to play cooperatively. I thought that was the only way to play. Lots of people will find out, like me, after lengthy play sessions they received none of the quest progress/rewards after these "stormshield" quest stopgaps.

You get extra mission rewards and in game rewards from helping but for obvious reasons friends that help don't get the skill points or the V-bucks that the main player gets for finishing. But those rewards alone should be an incentive for doing them considering V-Bucks are the premium currency so while it may be "inconvenient" they certainly do reward you for doing those missions.

May be too far gone for you, but honestly once you do the third storm base defense you unlock the missions on that map which at that point you have free rain to just play missions with friends. Don't know if you've gotten that far yet but something to be aware of. Once you finish the third one your map is filled with different mission types that are all open.

Is there a way to restart the game at all?

Devs have stated no respec or anything like that, but with enough play you can unlock the entire tree and unless you're a few 100 hours in, skill points seem to come at almost 2 a mission. So you can be well on your way to what you wanna skill as even if you start on a new path.

Sness

Banned
You get extra mission rewards and in game rewards from helping but for obvious reasons friends that help don't get the skill points or the V-bucks that the main player gets for finishing. But those rewards alone should be an incentive for doing them considering V-Bucks are the premium currency so while it may be "inconvenient" they certainly do reward you for doing those missions.

May be too far gone for you, but honestly once you do the third storm base defense you unlock the missions on that map which at that point you have free rain to just play missions with friends. Don't know if you've gotten that far yet but something to be aware of. Once you finish the third one your map is filled with different mission types that are all open.

Interesting, thanks for your responses. That sounds a bit better, but still more effort than I think I want to put in at this time. Things should only improve from here, so this likely will be worth revisiting in the future, assuming an FOV slider/option is added.

Just started Base defense 4... I had done a ton of gathering in the last few missions I did in order to be prepped to build and I just gotta say I'm fairly happy with my base so far!

TxnUfi6.jpg

wn6JsEB.jpg

wAFx4y5.jpg

Nnoejd6.jpg

sRV3sU9.jpg

Was able to build a ton of traps and got my power booster incorporated into the entire building! Really hope later on in future updates we get some more cosmetic additions to bring personal flair too it, as long as the crafting amounts are not crazy high or maybe have them be mIssion rewards!

Does anyone know what the "support" score means at the end of a mission? I have yet to play a mission where I wasn't 1st in combat score, and last in building and support...

If you mean utility, utility comes from doing objectives like saving survivors, and exploring the map, doing anomalies, and building the radar tower.

Two matches in a row, one random in the group shows up and immediately decides the base I built needs a perimeter of floors two thick around the entire thing. When I ask why, they say "traps".

Randoms, stop going over the build limit. Why can't I report people.

Honestly you don't need to build that much if you're still early in the game. You can do with 1/4th of the limit lol and just go kill the incoming waves

I will say this, just went into my Storm shield base storage... how is that thing only gonna have 5 slots? Haha that's definitely something that better be upgraded in the tech tree haha! I had a ton of traps I wanted to put in there haha.

Honestly you don't need to build that much if you're still early in the game. You can do with 1/4th of the limit lol and just go kill the incoming waves

Yeah I assume you're replying to the above with the build limit, I build the bare min in missions if I build at all. But when I'm back in storm base I usually have 999 of each so future fuck it, I'll start building and reinforce it all later when I get the rank 2 and 3

I will say this, just went into my Storm shield base storage... how is that thing only gonna have 5 slots? Haha that's definitely something that better be upgraded in the tech tree haha! I had a ton of traps I wanted to put in there haha.

Yeah I don't understand the inventory system. Like right now afaik that damn thing still holds 5 items, my character can hold 200 but I have about 67 in my inventory right now and can't pick up more traps.

LycanXIII

I hope a persistent base that covers all areas is added soon. I like building my base, but don't want to waste it on an area that I'll move on from.

Top Bottom