• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 - Demon's Souls now completely playable.

Peroroncino

I hope they manage to make it run smoothly, it's the best game with the Souls in the title and everybody that loves the 'soulsborne' genre deserves to play it.

Tagyhag

For anyone that follows emulators, the progress of this one is just staggering.

Usually emulators, even good ones, take 5x the time.

It's not completely unheard of. Ppsspp in particular comes to mind as an emulator that basically went from nothing to playing a majority of games super well in the span of less than two years. One year depending on your standards.

In rpcs3's case, the devs have been laying the groundwork for the past several years, and now it's finally coming together to produce visible results.

(None of this is to discount the truly fantastic work that has been done. The devs deserve massive kudos, as always.)

Fou-Lu

This and Cemu are incredibly impressive, but emulator tech in general has made some huge leaps in recent years. PCSX2 and Dolphin have made huge strides.

This really excites me as a long time Demon's Souls player. Can we get to a point where we can mod the game? This game is sorely needing a hard mode.

daitoqu

I've got an R5 1600 and was thinking of the same thing. Most emulators rely mainly on single core performance, intel is probably still king.

Actually, rpcs3 is multithreaded. It require 8 threads for optimal performance. So 8-core ryzens, even with slower cores, should outperform 4-core intels, because AMD CPUs are able to execute 1 thread per core. But they're not. AFAIK, devs are trying to fix it.

Will that always be the case or will further development even it out?
For 8-core ryzens, it most likely will be evened out. For 4-core, i'm not so sure.

FingerBang

Actually, rpcs3 is multithreaded. It require 8 threads for optimal performance. So 8-core ryzens, even with slower cores, should outperform 4-core intels, because AMD CPUs are able to execute 1 thread per core. But they're not. AFAIK, devs are trying to fix it.

For 8-core ryzens, it most likely will be evened out. For 4-core, i'm not so sure.

Great news, thanks! I wonder how it will behave with a 6c/12t like the 1600 family, but looking at how performance usually scales (4c -> 6c -> 8c) it should still perform greatly.

I finished the game on PS3 ages ago (still own it) but I would love to play it again at a higher resolution with a stable framerate.

PS3 emulator before both Xbox and 360 emulators working so well.

Never would've believed it years ago. Sad that is the situation, but nice to have PS3 emulation moving..

I would imagine so. I played all the way to phalanx yesterday, the odd slowdown aside, it was absolutely playable and enjoyable. It felt amazing to be back in Boletaria

Nice, thank you! :) Now all I have to figure out is how to get my digital copy of the game on my PC if that's even possible as I have a non-CFW PS3.

Södy

Great progress. I really hope they implement the option for a resolution increase in the future.

4k RDR would be amazing to say the least.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good news! i really want to play this game but not prepared to buy a PS3 just for it. i have a 6700K/16/1070 so should be fine but i'll give them a while longer to work on it.

Personally I am super interested in getting Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle working... and ideally with an FPS fix. But DeS is a cool game too.

Nice, thank you! :) Now all I have to figure out is how to get my digital copy of the game on my PC if that's even possible as I have a non-CFW PS3.

Here's some gameplay of it running on a PC with a i5 3570K at 3.6GHz and a GTX 1050 Ti.

You'll need a specific blu-ray drive to get your game on your PC, the "Quickstart" listed on the RPCS3 explains the process and what drive you would need.

Obtaining games and software
Method A: We recommend that you dump your own PlayStation 3 games and software from your own console. We believe that this is the most efficient and safest way to migrate your disc-based games and digital games from your console to your PC without the hassle of repairing bad game dumps found on the internet or possible legal repercussions. To do this, you will need a PlayStation 3 system with a custom firmware and various software tools that are used to rip/dump games from your system's Blu-ray drive or internal storage.

Method B: You can dump games using only a computer by using select compatible Blu-ray drives. Please note that you can only use this method if an .ird file is available online for the decryption of the disc. See Dumping games and software with a Blu-ray drive below. Not every Blu-ray drive will recognize PlayStation 3 games due to how PlayStation 3 format discs are designed. Here's a compiled list of the known compatible Blu-ray drives that are capable of reading PlayStation game discs:

• ASUS BC-08B1LT
• ASUS BC-16D1HT
• ASUS BC-12B1ST
• ASUS BC-12D2HT
• ASUS BW-16D1HT
• LG BH26NS40
• LG UH12NS30
• LG BH16NS40
• LG BH16NS48
• LG BH14NS40
• LG WH24NS40
• LG WH12LS30
• LG WH24LS30
• LG WH26NS40
• LG WH16NS40
• LG WH16NS48
• Lite-On DH-4O1S
• Lite-On iHBS112
• BENQ BR1000
• Samsung DVDWBD SH-B083L
• Sony Optiarc 5300S
• Sony PlayStation stock drive with proprietary adapter

Wait, I just realized, I was looking allover the place for a compatible Blu-ray drive and just realized that you can use the stock drive! O.O

I might use it temporarily and put it back in my PS3 when I'm done with it.

derFeef

How does the emulator handle updates and gamesaves? I mean if the emulator is getting an update, will the savegame be compatible?

Here's some gameplay of it running on a PC with a i5 3570K at 3.6GHz and a GTX 1050 Ti.

You'll need a specific blu-ray drive to get your game on your PC, the "Quickstart" listed on the RPCS3 explains the process and what drive you would need.

Wait, I just realized, I was looking allover the place for a compatible Blu-ray drive and just realized that you can use the stock drive! O.O

I might use it temporarily and put it back in my PS3 when I'm done with it.

Thank you very much, looks like it should be playable enough at 4.4ghz, unfortunately though I have no disk-copy, nor a matching drive anyway so I guess I have to shelf this thought for a while.

I hoped I could log on to the PSN Store on my PC and somehow grab the .pkg off my download list but I forgot that only woks with free titles :/

MUnited83

For you.
l6nrW2Mr.jpg

ORtsxnQr.jpg

Hey Sony - feel like releasing that deathgrip on the IP yet? Might get some money out of it, otherwise...

I'll be playing this soon on RPCS3

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hey Sony - feel like releasing that deathgrip on the IP yet? Might get some money out of it, otherwise...

I'll be playing this soon on RPCS3

Well if you bought Demon's Souls to play on RPCS3 then they made some money out of the IP.

You do plan to buy the game, right :^)?

Copper

I get mostly 30 with a 6600k @ 4.6Ghz. There are still a few slowdowns. IIRC this game had some fps issues on PS3. But overall very playable now. Great progress made in the past few months. Now just hoping for a graphics upgrade. I'd like to play this and Ni no Kuni on it.

GHG

Any idea how an i5 3570k at 4.6ghz will handle this or should I not bother. Also what's the resolution? Is it 720p or can you go higher?

bomer

Anyone try AA options using GPU Drivers? No upscaling support is a bit sad, hope it gets prioritised in the coming months.

The only game I dragged my PS3 out for since the PS4 release was to replay demons souls. Will give it a crack tonight! Also save states would be nice but I guess they need a fast way to stream 500gb to disk :p

Also, just became a Patron > https://www.patreon.com/Nekotekina/posts

Played the game from start to finish using RPCS3. Game ran fine for the most part on a 7700k @ 4.5 GHz, though it really struggles at times in Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement (though the game ran poorly on the PS3 in these areas as well). 5-2 is really the only area with significant graphical glitches that I noticed.

I'm so impressed with the work these people are accomplishing with this emulator. It was such a cool moment when I was able to have the game and the wiki open side by side in two windows. Once they implement a way to increase the internal resolution I'll definitely give this another replay.

Mendrox

Thank you very much, looks like it should be playable enough at 4.4ghz, unfortunately though I have no disk-copy, nor a matching drive anyway so I guess I have to shelf this thought for a while.

I hoped I could log on to the PSN Store on my PC and somehow grab the .pkg off my download list but I forgot that only woks with free titles :/

If I can help you in any way with my CFW PS3 just PM me. I would have the options to rip games.Only for you because of your Momo avatar.

I get mostly 30 with a 6600k @ 4.6Ghz. There are still a few slowdowns. IIRC this game had some fps issues on PS3. But overall very playable now. Great progress made in the past few months. Now just hoping for a graphics upgrade. I'd like to play this and Ni no Kuni on it.

haha yeah despite the slowdown at times on PC, there are parts of the game on PS3 (the dragon cutscene at the start of 1-1) that used to slow down to a crawl, but that scene runs way better with no slowdown on PC!

I beat Phalanx last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSaw40p6e1c

went on and beat 2-1 and Armour Spider but didnt get that uploaded yet

Krigaren

Posting your configuration would be extremely helpful.

Someone on their forums suggested updating drivers but nothing changed for me. Tried different PPU, SPU and renderers but:

LLVM
ASMJIT
Vulkan and OpenGL
Write Color Buffers + Invalidate Cache

Kazuhira

This game and MGS4 are the only reason i still have my ps3,this is great news indeed.
I wish the best to the people working on this,you're doing god's work.

Copper

haha yeah despite the slowdown at times on PC, there are parts of the game on PS3 (the dragon cutscene at the start of 1-1) that used to slow down to a crawl, but that scene runs way better with no slowdown on PC!

I beat Phalanx last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSaw40p6e1c

went on and beat 2-1 and Armour Spider but didnt get that uploaded yet

Just wondering, are you using LLVM or interpreter?

Does tales of Vesperia run well with this?

I can get the intro sequence to play but that's is it. Apparently you can get in game with some heavy graphical glitches.

Top Bottom