• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

They need to fix false positives. 5 of my 6 team mates left the game. I was pretty much trapped alone in the spawn room so I did not leave. Ended up getting punished for it.

Royce McCutcheon

If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.

Mariip

Yay! Finally console is getting a repor- no? Nevermind no comp for me this season(again =_=)

Seriously, i know they have a lot of things to do at blizzard but this is getting ridiculous... We can't even report people who abuse map bugs....

Budi

Most of the time negative attitudes and trash talking doesn't make the team step up it makes moral shit and the team lose quicker......
Yup, especially in Dota and Hots it just goes into flame war. People stop playing and start typing or shouting. How helpful!
If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.
You are playing a video game, not preparing to be a killer. In war lack of empathy and dehumanizing certainly is a plus!

jennetics

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

They should deal with it and mute me even though this is a game that encourages teamwork and communication.

As someone who has not played OW, after reading the OP and the comments.. I just don't understand how a report feature wasn't a front and center priority for Blizzard before this launched on console.

So I'm forced to ask, why?

Did Blizzard really think other players would play nice at all times? In this day and age?

Hybris

Ok after this post I'm wondering if you are trolling this thread... If you aren't... wow just wow. Grow up dude. You are the reason so many people just mute voice chat in online games.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Did someone just compare behavior in the army to behavior in overwatch?

MrS

Banned
Is saying 'good shot' or 'what a save' when somebody messes up in Rocket League trash talking or being an asshole? Asking for a friend.

8byte

Banned

Are you legitimately relating a video game to actual war with actual real life and death consequences?

Seriously?

Get fucked. Sincerely, a veteran.

I am personally in favor of just putting griefers and afk-ers into specific matchmaking pools so they can all grief each other or have matches with entire teams afk.

jasonng

This actually works against me. I main support and I leave a lot of games because my team refuses to work together making it impossible for me to have fun.

I leave not because of losing, far from that (some of my favorite matches were losses), but because I'm constantly getting picked to the point I'm not fulfilling my role. Communicating to the rest of the team of either getting another healer or have someone counter flankers is fruitless. I just get told to "get good" but there's only so much I can do when I'm against a genji, a sombra, and a tracer simultaneously. It doesn't help that the current meta right now is heavily favored against support.

Sorry, the toxic community has ruined this game for me.

jennetics

This is the dumbest reasoning. I'm hesitant to even respond, but oh well. I'll keep it short.

- You join the army knowing full well that you'll be yelled at.

- You play Overwatch to have fun, not to have some rando yelling at you because he's losing out on imaginary points.

- Also, don't compare the army to playing a fucking video game.

I see your views on trash talk aren't much better than your views on nepotism.

rec0ded1

Am I the griefer when I run into "Trash talking" players that bark orders and I pretend I don't know how to play and ask what buttons to press to make their heads explode? 🤔

Won

Most of the things mentioned should have been core part of the "battle.net" platform for the better part of a decade. You would think a market leader in online gaming would actually try to innovate on such a topic. This is going to amount to nothing.

LordKasual

Banned
What is the point with this? What does this give to someone who says it? Isn't the purpose of this to be genuinely an asshole?

Well...yeah, it is.

The purpose of /taunt and /laugh in League serve the exact same purpose. League even lets you intentionally spam them. I can /laugh spam mid lane with Lux for 30 minutes straight yet get penalized for "GGEZ" lo

Street Fighter too. Just look at Nuckledu and Punk, 2 of the greatest players in the world who teabag and taunt people during high-level matches.

It's a legitimate strategy for those who can't handle it.

I'll admit GGEZ is particularly assholish because it's the equivalent of kicking someone while they're down out already. But other trash talking? Personal insults aside, i don't see what the problem is.

They can make the penalties as tough as they like, the problem is they aren't actually punishing anyone. The amount of people I've reported for being absolutely toxic, racist, sexist foul mouthed pieces of human excrement in text chat is astronomical, yet I still get matched with those people. And that's not even a hard one to punish people for since they have the chat logs and the report log!

matmanx1

I've been gone for several seasons primarily because of the "community". I've never had someone talk to me in such an abusive manner in an online game or rage / wig out like I had in Overwatch.

I like to have fun and I like Blizzard's games, for the most part. But interacting with the community while trying to play competitive in a semi-skilled fashion just broke me for some reason.

I would love to play Overwatch again someday but not anytime soon.

Royce McCutcheon

Michael Jordan routinely verbally abused and antagonized his teammates to 6 championships. Call it what you want, but Overwatch is an competitive game, trash talk is inevitable in competition. You don't see people in Hockey shutting down the fights cause some of the dudes don't have hands. What makes the competitive gaming scene so different.

Mesoian

Michael Jordan routinely verbally abused and antagonized his teammates to 6 championships. Call it what you want, but Overwatch is an competitive game, trash talk is inevitable in competition. You don't see people in Hockey shutting down the fights cause some of the dudes don't have hands. What makes the competitive gaming scene so different.

Micheal Jordon is also a documented asshole on and off the court. If your point is, "people who are trashtalking in video games also are very likely a real asshole regardless of video games," then I'd tend to agree with you.

8byte

Banned

Gaming is an imaginary escape and you are a child who doesn't know the other people on the team you shit on. Jordan and other athletes have rapport with those people. Real relationships.

I suppose that's the difference between you and a professional athlete who's career longevity (and livelihood) are determined by winning, and an understanding with his team mates.

PMS341

Quoting in case he deletes.

In basketball a guy yells at a guy. Amazing. There's refs around to moderate should it get out of hand. Basically you want the ref gone right?

There's a massive false equivalence between a bit of banter at a match and shit talk in an uncontrolled environment with a reputation for harassment of various kinds.

jasonng

The difference is that Michael Jordan has built a rapport with his teammates. I don't know you in Overwatch.

I'm not against trash talking but some people are not playing games just to endure it.

jennetics

Michael Jordan was an asshole...and look at all the money he made! Wasn't he great?
Therefore, I should be able to be an asshole too! Right?

I really don't understand your thought-process with this. He knew his teammates, you don't know the people you're "encouraging" or "coaching" while you trash talk.

Hybris

You aren't in a professional competition dude... You are playing a video games on the internet for imaginary points that don't matter. Getting paid can make people tolerate assholes. How can you not see the difference between that and people playing a video game...

This is very welcome news, especially being notified when action is taken on your reports. I've said before that reporting players seemed like shouting into the void but now we'll see just how often it works.

Ice Wall is an odd one. Sure, you get the Meis who will purposefully block you off, but then I got a rage message one time because a Zarya Graviton'd me and the rest of my team, so I put up an ice wall to stop them from shooting through at us. Our Reinhardt proceeds to use Earthshatter on the ice wall, and then messages me saying how I blocked his ult on purpose, and that we lost because I did that.

So reporting people for that is going to be stupid.

MrS

Banned
Royce McCutcheon just wants us to call him the Michael Jordan of Overwatch. Don't fall for it, guys...

Depends on the context. If its just two friends ribbing each other, sure thats okay. But if its with someone you don't know, I would say yes. Context matters and the person you are playing with on the other side is a human being whose experiences might differ from yours greatly. I think its overall just a lot more respectful to be nice than to automatically resort to that kind of messing around.
nofunallowed.jpeg

Still wonder how they're going to deal with people who basically "give up" during matches, where they're technically playing, but just running around in spawn doing nothing.

On PS4, shit talking isn't really an issue since most people don't use game chat and those that do have been nice from every experience I've had with them, it's just the people who give up during matches.

A game of Overwatch without spamming "Hello" isn't a game of Overwatch that I want to play...

I don't think they mean that kind of spamming...

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.
You're not being thick-skinned, you're being a dick if you direct that at your teammates

Also using Michael Jordan as your defense is hilarious. You're not Jordan. The only reason Jordan got away with trash-talking is because he was the best to ever play. Chances are you're not Michael Jordan. Get off your high horse, try to communicate like a normal human being, or GTFO

Budi

I'll just say that you aren't part of competitive gaming scene, queueing into ranked play doesn't mean you are being competitive it's still casual/amateur level. In tournaments, in the pro gaming scene, let the organizers set their own rules. And also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsportsmanlike_conduct if real sports punish for verbal abuse, why cant video games?

Blam

haha good one Blizzard this never happens. Cheaters roam free on consoles and griefers on PC.

Also what about that good old voice chat ban you gave Tyler1 before he even started playing the game?

You remove his way of communicating to his team for what? Because he'll rage at them? He rarely does that to anyone in game now.

Keinning

In football, if you start a fight with your teammate both get yellow cards/sent off

just sayin'

Top Bottom