• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

Budi

Holy shit, the whole point of 'trash talk' in the Army is to make people subservient until they break down and blindly follow orders from above.

TOTALLY not the same thing.

I'm sick of presumptuous dicks in Rocket League immediately shouting 'NOOB' when you fuck up, sometimes people just have bad days. No need to immediately pin the loss on one person. The ironic thing is that most of the people complaining are selfish cunts that never defend and only hang around the goal area.
This absolutely fits with Dota too. Most times the abusive ones were people playing carries or mids only, because they are certain that they are better than others and will carry the game. While those other people who pick the role needed that works for the team are the ones behaving. Also if the mid/carry gets a bad start, they throw the game. Since ofcourse nobody else could fix their mistakes, they personally had a bad start and are behind with their farm so they think it's over. Or atleast want it to be.
If I play a close match I might send a gg or whatever. I play to win. Clearly I'm in the minority with how I do it. I shit talk without being a total cunt or abusing people.

To each their own.
Sure I don't know how exactly you do it, maybe it's not mean spirited.

Sami+

"look at the army"

fucking hell you are what's wrong with the games community.

I play to win but i dont berate my friends. though admittedly they dont always react well to my directness it is done with the best of intentions :(

This online multiplayer video game is pretty fun, but what can we learn from the way this military organization trains people to kill other humans most effectively?

adj_noun

The folks crowing about being abusive online, whining about thin skins and so on always seem to be the ones who go into those "hey, nobody talks on voice chat anymore" threads with the most bewilderment.

MadMod

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

Well looks like you're first on the list haha.
Also good on blizzard. But means nothing unless acted upon. This should really be enforced near the lower levels the most as it's where the most fragile people are. Especially ones that want to enjoy the game. I've always liked their rules on hackers.

Hopeford

Movies lied to me. I always thought the nerd crew was supposed to be the accepting, fun loving one...but honestly, real life sports seem like such a nicer environment for me. Like trash talk doesn't come up in fencing or tennis, and when it does, it's seriously more...friendly? (And before someone brings up the fact that those are not team sports, I absolutely fence in teams. Someone sucking would absolutely make me lose.)

I just don't understand why competitive games makes people suddenly devoid of basic social skills. It's like, if someone isn't comfortable with you "trash talking," then it's not trash talk. It's just you being a huge asshole.

jennetics

Movies lied to me. I always thought the nerd crew was supposed to be the accepting, fun loving one...but honestly, real life sports seem like such a nicer environment for me. Like trash talk doesn't come up in fencing or tennis, and when it does, it's seriously more...friendly? (And before someone brings up the fact that those are not team sports, I absolutely fence in teams. Someone sucking would absolutely make me lose.)

I just don't understand why competitive games makes people suddenly devoid of basic social skills. It's like, if someone isn't comfortable with you "trash talking," then it's not trash talk. It's just you being a huge asshole.

Anonymity is a powerful feeling and brings out the worst in people. Angry people online are usually wanting an outlet for their real world frustrations. Not always the case, but it's there.

Then there are people who are just assholes online and off. Idk what's wrong with those people, maybe not hugged enough as a child.

Canucked

If I play a close match I might send a gg or whatever. I play to win. Clearly I'm in the minority with how I do it. I shit talk without being a total cunt or abusing people.

To each their own.

Are you targeting specific people? Are you being constructive or just pointing out flaws. You may not be swearing at them but are you making the environment uncomfortable for players?

Hybris

Yeah, we played sports, but then we did the second part of your sentence as well.

Well put. People who put so much stock in winning meaningless rank points and talk like this to their teammates in said meaningless matches haven't really grown up past the 13 year old yelling at people on xbox live phase of their lives...

Honestly, the community is just too toxic. I played Overwatch for about a year, cause I loved it, but since that feeling has kind of dwindled, I haven't found the urge to play it as the community is a huge detraction I kind of dealt with. I still want to play, but every time I just decide to do something else now because it never feels worth it.

Movies lied to me. I always thought the nerd crew was supposed to be the accepting, fun loving one...but honestly, real life sports seem like such a nicer environment for me.
It's partly anonymity, partly an age thing, and partly that most real-life sports have developed cultures of respect and norms around what's appropriate to do or say to an opponent—or a teammate. Certainly with professional athletes (and most pro gamers, as far as I can see), they seem to have a confident in their own abilities that means they can pick themselves and their teammates up and keep playing even when something doesn't go their way. Unsporting behavior at the top level of sports is absolutely called out and shamed. It's rare that you see really nasty grudges or infighting sustained over time.

Good. I quit Competitive until this shit is sorted out. Out of the 200 games I have played this season, only maybe 10 of them were pleasant experiences with awesome teammates who communicated and were nail bittingly close matches. Make those 10 games I played more regular and I'm back.

Royce McCutcheon

Well put. People who put so much stock in winning meaningless rank points and talk like this to their teammates in said meaningless matches haven't really grown up past the 13 year old yelling at people on xbox live phase of their lives...

So growing up is suddenly not trash talking, that's ridiculous. I dedicate my precious gaming hours to winning in a competitive mode, I'm going to air my grievances when people fuck up and encourage others to do the same. Ain't enough time in a game to be playing camp counselor. We got some Holy gamers in here who have never uttered a comment of disdain toward their teammates or threw some mud to get people hype. I love starting a match telling the DD's they not going to get any gold medals, puts a target right on em.

Hopeford

So growing up is suddenly not trash talking, that's ridiculous. I dedicate my precious gaming hours to winning in a competitive mode, I'm going to air my grievances when people fuck up and encourage others to do the same. Ain't enough time in a game to be playing camp counselor. We got some Holy gamers in here who have never uttered a comment of disdain toward their teammates or threw some mud to get people hype. I love starting a match telling the DD's they not going to get any gold medals, puts a target right on em.

I think for clarity's sake, so everyone can understand your argument, can you clarify what you mean by trash talk? Because people got very different definitions of that, and there's always a chance everyone is getting their wires crossed here, maybe we're assuming you say way worse things than you actually do, making most of the argument kinda pointless. What do you usually say to people? Like, can you give an example of a couple lines you usually say at them?

Canucked

A real teammate will help people on their team.

And this whole "my time" thing is meaningless when team play is PART of the game.

If you feel people aren't good enough for your time then don't play because you aren't taking the time to play the game properly either. Develop team tactics.

It honesty makes the game a better experience anyway. It's how I play.

Just so you know when I encounter someone like you I AFK the whole game to fuck it up for you on purpose.

Sane_Man

Michael Jordan routinely verbally abused and antagonized his teammates to 6 championships. Call it what you want, but Overwatch is an competitive game, trash talk is inevitable in competition. You don't see people in Hockey shutting down the fights cause some of the dudes don't have hands. What makes the competitive gaming scene so different.

Yeah but you're not Jordan, dude. The highest rank you've attained on Overwatch is Master. If you were as good as that at basketball you'd have never even made it into a college basketball team. The best you could hope for is playing for the office basketball team. If you acted like Jordan around people at that level they'd just think you were a complete tool and never invite you to play again.

Jebusman

Banned
I dedicate my precious gaming hours to winning in a competitive mode
Maybe you should dedicate some time to finding dedicated teammates that you can yell at when they fuck up, rather than trying to yell at random people on the internet thinking you're the hottest fuckface on the team.

Permanently A

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

What on Earth is your thought process here? Does telling your Hanzo "dude you suck ass, switch to healer" actually work for you? Ever?

This is the biggest issue:

Stop punishing the rest of a team with an SR loss when some arsehole leaves. Can ban that player forever but it doesn't matter to the people in the game he left, or the next game when another player leaves and they get another SR loss.

If not grouped with a leaver you should not pay for his shitty actions.

Rmagnus

Banned
Yeah but you're not Jordan, dude. The highest rank you've attained on Overwatch is Master. If you were as good as that at basketball you'd have never even made it into a college basketball team. The best you could hope for is playing for the office basketball team. If you acted like Jordan around people at that level they'd just think you were a complete tool and never invite you to play again.

Yup he would be that one that no one wants to play with during pickup games on the court.

Budi

How do you react when someone calls you out for your mistakes in game? Do you tell them to fuck off?

antitrop

This is the biggest issue:

Stop punishing the rest of a team with an SR loss when some arsehole leaves. Can ban that player forever but it doesn't matter to the people in the game he left, or the next game when another player leaves and they get another SR loss.

If not grouped with a leaver you should not pay for his shitty actions.
That would just incentivize teammates to bully the weakest member until they leave the match. That would make the game so much more toxic than it is now.

Keinning

How do you react when someone calls you out for your mistakes in game? Do you tell them to fuck off?

are you implying Royce McCutcheon make mistakes??? dude is the overwatch's jordan! he learned it all in the blizzard army

watch him probably say "i shrug it off its not a big deal get a tougher skin people"

"Toxic and proud. Your fault for not muting me."

Wow what an attitude. I'd rather the person acting an asshole be punished than the person expected to adapt around their obnoxious presence.

What do you think you accomplish by trash talking your teammates?

At best you make them feel like shit. At worst you're wasting your breath. There is no outcome where you putting down teammates benefits you unless you're like Trump and get satisfaction from insulting others.

They're either not gonna play, going to purposely play worse or ignore you. In no scenario are you addressing the issue which is your teammate not performing up to your standards.

People generally don't want to be treated like shit. It has nothing to do with being soft, holy or a pussy. You can get people to do better without having to treat them like shit

8byte

Banned

PRECIOUS GAMING HOURS.

I think we're done here, this is beyond our skill set.

Budi

are you implying Royce McCutcheon make mistakes??? dude is the overwatch's jordan! he learned it all in the blizzard army

watch him probably say "i shrug it off its not a big deal get a tougher skin people"
Haha, well you might be right.

Jebusman

Banned
Mute. Not an issue.

This actually is/was a problem in Dota where if the early game went fucking "horribly" bad, they would try to bully someone into leaving to get the match counted as null.

Now this had to happen in the first 5 minutes, which doesn't happen often, but I saw it enough (and tons of other people who would bite the bullet and abandon just so the rest of us could leave)

Royce McCutcheon

I encourage constructive criticism, I think it's the only way you'll win. Babying a genji that keeps dying and has no medals doesn't help anybody. Too many times people will be like "It's okay bro" nah it's not ok our offensive junkets keeps charging the Zarya, nein

I think for clarity's sake, so everyone can understand your argument, can you clarify what you mean by trash talk? Because people got very different definitions of that, and there's always a chance everyone is getting their wires crossed here, maybe we're assuming you say way worse things than you actually do, making most of the argument kinda pointless. What do you usually say to people? Like, can you give an example of a couple lines you usually say at them?

I am pretty aggressive on the Mic admittedly, but I'm not "fucking woman, of course you're playing mercy lol go make a sandwich" I'm just usually pointing shit out, calling out the kill feed, but I'm going to clown you while doing it. "Mccree, Why Pharah keep killing You, what's damage at? Switch if you can't handle Pharah."

antitrop

Mute. Not an issue.

Just the mere idea that you could get out of a potential loss by antagonizing your team to the point of them leaving the game is bad for the long-term health of it.

It encourages the thought process of "I'm going to be such a massive cunt to to this guy that he's either going to leave the match and I won't get a loss, or he'll leave voice chat". The game should be encouraging good behavior, not rewarding bad behavior.

Leavers suck, but toxicity is worse.

Permanently A

Here's an experiment for you - the next time you play Overwatch, at the end of the match, ask your teammates if they enjoyed your trash talking. If they "got hype" or feel like you coached them to victory, then they should have nothing but praise to lavish on you. In that case, continue on your wayward path.

But if instead you find yourself alone in voice chat, it may be time to reevaluate the effectiveness of your brand of coaching.

cordy

Banned
If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.
Michael Jordan routinely verbally abused and antagonized his teammates to 6 championships. Call it what you want, but Overwatch is an competitive game, trash talk is inevitable in competition. You don't see people in Hockey shutting down the fights cause some of the dudes don't have hands. What makes the competitive gaming scene so different.
I encourage constructive criticism, I think it's the only way you'll win. Babying a genji that keeps dying and has no medals doesn't help anybody. Too many times people will be like "It's okay bro" nah it's not ok our offensive junkets keeps charging the Zarya, nein

I am pretty aggressive on the Mic admittedly,
but I'm not "fucking woman, of course you're playing mercy lol go make a sandwich" I'm just usually pointing shit out, calling out the kill feed, but I'm going to clown you while doing it. "Mccree, Why Pharah keep killing You, what's damage at? Switch if you can't handle Pharah."

QjurwZU.png

SomTervo

Lol at the army name drop

Professionalism is actually valued in IRL sports. If you're really a dick you're going to cause problems for yourself, and probably your team, long term. Being a sound person is part of being a good sportsman.

The same doesn't go for saturated video game multiplayer modes which are inundated with emasculation, arrogance and one upmanship.

So you ruin it for the other 4 guys on your team? You're no better.

If he starts by shitting on his team I have zero interest in seeing him succeed. I've no reason to care what some random who decides to open with bullshit thinks. Plus it's hard for people to give a shit considering I don't even bother playing competitive because of people like him. I doubt I'm ruining anyone's matches by not bothering with the modes at all anymore.

Are you a toddler in a grown up body?

Is starting your match by shitting on your team adult behaviour? Should I give them the satisfaction of feeling high and mighty?

SomTervo

If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.

Surely that's not trash talking though? Surely this is just being assertive, even if a little rude?

Trash talk is when it crosses the line into unnecessary competitiveness and (possibly playful) malice.

Just the mere idea that you could get out of a potential loss by antagonizing your team to the point of them leaving the game is bad for the long-term health of it.

It encourages the thought process of "I'm going to be such a massive cunt to to this guy that he's either going to leave the match and I won't get a loss, or he'll leave voice chat". The game should be encouraging good behavior, not rewarding bad behavior.

Leavers suck, but toxicity is worse.

It shouldn't be punishing good behaviour with SR loss because some random arsehole behaved badly and left.

Toxicity can be dealt with by muting. Leavers cannot.

Top Bottom