• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

Poe magically teleporting from Jakku to the rebel planet with literally no set-up, even arriving there before Finn (who basically left as soon as humanely possible from the moment he woke up in the desert) annoyed me more than it probably should:

You're forgetting Finn and co. stopped off at Takodana first.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yea that really does.
What makes it funnier is that the early concept for Poe's character (where he was some big buff, possible Jedi dude) was gonna survive and have a larger role anyway.

Still, I like Poe, but considering my avatar choices, you shouldn't listen to me.

sphagnum

Banned
The funniest thing is that Finn had to go through all that crap while Poe basically just went the other direction and hitchhiked his way back to DQar.

Surfinn

Yeah, the only thing I'm not liking about the film so far is hearing about Finn running. I thought that ended when he saved Rey in the final act of TFA..

But my god I can't be more hyped for this

DavidDesu

The Caretakers speak in a blubbery fish Scottish accent. Cannot wait to hear this. After being taken aback hearing my native tongue in The Force awakens for the first time ("Han Solo, you are a dead man") this ought to be interesting! Just give Luke a kilt and be done with it!

Boke1879

Poe magically teleporting from Jakku to the rebel planet with literally no set-up, even arriving there before Finn (who basically left as soon as humanely possible from the moment he woke up in the desert) annoyed me more than it probably should:

Finn Han and Rey went to Max's castle first.

Poe most likely went straight to the resistance

This is quite a leap to make, having absolutely no idea what his arc will actually be. And that lack of information is going to make you not want to watch a Rian Johnson-directed Star Wars?

Yeah, I'm not going to sit through a movie for 2 hours being disappointed. I'll wait for some impressions specifically pertaining to this character. If I don't like what I see then I'll wait till the Netflix or Disney streaming option becomes available.

JB1981

"This rejection hits Rey's abandonment issues. Hard."

Very nice emotional throughline, Mr. Johnson. Seems pretty clear to me that she is NOT Luke's daughter.

jelly

Why would a Scottish accent ruin your immersion as opposed to any other accent?

I dunno, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me in films, similarly an American being a fish out of water in films sometimes grates massively too, particularly British ones. It's not neutral enough is maybe the issue, that Glasgow accent was strong. Like the Wilhelm scream, it stands out at that moment. Not film destroying of course.

Boke1879

I have no issues if Finn has second doubts.

He was about to leave until he saw Rey being captured. And then he almost fucking dies. He's probably questioning his place in all of this. He's been a FO trooper most of his life and he probably wants some normalcy. It's clear he'll find his reason for fighting.

I'm game. Outside of Rey and Luke. His arc is the most interesting to me.

Also, on the fandom/meta side of things:

Has Making Star Wars managed to secure a better hit/miss ratio on this movie than the last one despite not having a shotlist to work from?

That's pretty impressive.

(of course, to balance out the success, they'be been getting hit hard by the disgruntled, right-wing side of the fandom—cough RFR fans cough cough—non-stop harassing them & trying to turf their ratings on iTunes/Stitcher. So I mean... balance of the Force and all that bullshit, I guess. Ugh)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I feel like sometime next week should be a good time to drop another trailer considering the amount of press they've unloaded lately. That and it just seems like a reasonable time to drop one at this point.

Also, on the fandom/meta side of things:

Has Making Star Wars managed to secure a better hit/miss ratio on this movie than the last one despite not having a shotlist to work from?

That's pretty impressive.

(of course, to balance out the success, they'be been getting hit hard by the disgruntled, right-wing side of the fandom—cough RFR fans cough cough—non-stop harassing them & trying to turf their ratings on iTunes/Stitcher. So I mean... balance of the Force and all that bullshit, I guess. Ugh)

Snoke not being a puppet is the first thing they've got wrong isn't it? They've been pretty spot on other than that.

Snoke not being a puppet is the first thing they've got wrong isn't it? They've been pretty spot on other than that.

And even then, it was still partially right, as there was a puppet on set at some point, so they musta thought it was going to be for more than just lighting reference. And then the photo showed up so it seemed even more likely.

It's weird. Last time they ate shit (some from me even, because I was being unfair for dumbass reasons) because people didn't want to believe they were getting stuff right, or because they didn't like what they were hearing. This time they're eating shit, but it's not even for the spoilers, it's because they're not against inclusivity/diversity in the films and the fandom.

2017 is a fucking mindbender of a year, man. It looks like the best Star Wars movie ever made is coming down the pipe and a huge chunk of the fandom can't quit filling their pampers over girls getting to play with "their" toys.

Brez is saying that there's more stuff coming tomorrow but it's likely more EW articles and not a trailer.

But who knows, really? ;)

Guys, don't get your hopes up for a trailer.

No, please do get your hopes up for a trailer.

I want to hear the wailing.

I legitimately wouldn't be phased if they just sat on it until October or around then. Unlike with TFA and RO, they don't really need to go for the hard sell on this one. It's going to break the bank regardless.

And even then, it was still partially right, as there was a puppet on set at some point, so they musta thought it was going to be for more than just lighting reference. And then the photo showed up so it seemed even more likely.

It's weird. Last time they ate shit (some from me even, because I was being unfair for dumbass reasons) because people didn't want to believe they were getting stuff right, or because they didn't like what they were hearing. This time they're eating shit, but it's not even for the spoilers, it's because they're not against inclusivity/diversity in the films and the fandom.

2017 is a fucking mindbender of a year, man. It looks like the best Star Wars movie ever made is coming down the pipe and a huge chunk of the fandom can't quit filling their pampers over girls getting to play with "their" toys.

Some of the shit Jason's had to put up with on Twitter has been pretty bad. It's nice to see Making Star Wars represent the positive side of the fandom though. They've definitely gone up in my estimation.

I wonder when we can realistically expect a trailer

I still have a feeling they're release one before the end of August and another in October/November.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
7Siwpt8.jpg

stay safe porgy

Some of the shit Jason's had to put up with on Twitter has been pretty bad. It's nice to see Making Star Wars represent the positive side of the fandom though. They've definitely gone up in my estimation.

Absolutely. The shows were always entertaining, but the whole network has gone up a couple levels.

Han Solo will probably get a title (finally) before TLJ drops

But it's not getting any sort of marketing push until TLJ starts its move out of theaters.

Han Solo will probably get a title (finally) before TLJ drops

But it's not getting any sort of marketing push until TLJ starts its move out of theaters.

If so, Han Solo not getting any sort of significant marketing push until almost 5 months prior to release is weird.

I know, I know, it's gonna get moved back

Yup. LFL seems pretty careful not to let the marketing cycles overlap

It means Han Solo is going to have to have a real quick blitz of a campaign, though.

I don't think Han Solo is getting bumped

I think you're going to have 5 months to sell the Han Solo movie.

I think it'll be fine.

You don't really need a year to sell a blockbuster.

Warners didn't really start pushing Wonder Woman in any serious way until just over a month out (this drew some attention, if you'll remember).

Granted, Warners' marketing isn't the reason Wonder Woman crossed 400mil - those legs speak much more to strong word of mouth stretching the stay at the box office. But still - it opened pretty damned well.

Star Wars can sell a Star Wars movie with 2 or 3 months just fine, I'm sure.

The people who might be upset and antsy are the people who are already in and will be going regardless.

i.e. us

Top Bottom