• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jewish-GAF: Shalom!

Apath

I'm a jew. He's a jew. She's a jew. Cause we're all jews hey!

Isn't it kind of strange that you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have a tattoo? Is that a universal thing or does it vary/been a dying tradition?

dude

dude

Isn't it kind of strange that you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have a tattoo? Is that a universal thing or does it vary/been a dying tradition?

It's against religious law to get a tattoo or something. I don't think it's in the Bible, probably some cooky Rabbi.

BTW, if any JewGAF is hitting Tel Aviv, get in touch, I'll show you around <3

Sadsic

It's against religious law to get a tattoo or something. I don't think it's in the Bible, probably some cooky Rabbi.

its because of the holocaust. getting a tattoo when jews were tattooed forcefully is shameful according to some

dude

dude
Did God say 'Thou shalt not put ink on thy skin'? Hahaha

Actually, he pretty much did:
"You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord.", I think t's clearer in Hebrew because he actually says the Hebrew word for tattoo.

But reading on it now, apparently some Rabbis are fine with it because the biblical restriction is on scaring your skin with ink, and modern tattoos are made under the skin. I dunno, religions be crazy.

its because of the holocaust. getting a tattoo when jews were tattooed forcefully is shameful according to some
I don't think that has anything to do with it, it's a religious thing.

NEO0MJ

While this thread is here, might as well ask. What's the history behind the black clothes, hat and curly bangs? I don't think they were traditional clothes from ye old days.

dude

dude
While this thread is here, might as well ask. What's the history behind the black clothes, hat and curly bangs? I don't think they were traditional clothes from ye old days.

The curls are because the bible prohibits cutting them and the beard. The clothes you decribed is mostly worn be Haredi Jews, and it's just an historical thing, I think they dressed like that in eastern Europe and just continued with that because religious people have a hard time dealing with change.

RawPower

Banned
The curls are because the bible prohibits cutting them and the beard. The clothes you decribed is mostly worn be Haredi Jews, and it's just an historical thing, I think they dressed like that in eastern Europe and just continued with that because religious people have a hard time dealing with change.

That's odd, since Jews had to constantly change environments due to persecutions.

Shalom Jew-GAF.

Can somebody direct me towards a link where the "rules" of Judaism are listed, things which are forbidden/neccesary to do etc.

Also a more specific question. In Judaism is there any guidance on how prophets/important figures in the faith (are there any apart from prophets, such as the family members of prophets?) should be remembered and revered? As a Muslim this is something which has been of great debate in Islam and I was wondering what the position of the Jewish faith is on this.

dude

dude
Shalom Jew-GAF.

Can somebody direct me towards a link where the "rules" of Judaism are listed, things which are forbidden/neccesary to do etc.

Also a more specific question. In Judaism is there any guidance on how prophets/important figures in the faith (are there any apart from prophets, such as the family members of prophets?) should be remembered and revered? As a Muslim this is something which has been of great debate in Islam and I was wondering what the position of the Jewish faith is on this.

That would be a long ass list - And it'll pretty much be the book of Deuteronomy. There's also the "verbal Torah" ("Torah She Be Alpe" is Hebrew) which is the rules, stories and what not that is not written but passed down verbally from generation to generation. Another curious thing, is that when a rabbi gives a law, it's generally cannot be disagreed by another Rabbi (that doesn't stop Rabbi from twisting the law into fitting into the exact opposite position if they need.) so it can get sort of complicated. There's also a strong element of tradition - For example, locust are considered kosher in the bible but most Jews (other than Yemeni Jews) will not eat them because it's traditionally forbidden (because it was not clear what type of locust they could eat while in the diaspora.) In short, as an old Jewish Russian song goes - "It's hard to be Jewish, you have to get up early."

As for remembering important figures. Hmmm. Well, Judaism doesn't have a strong element of prophets or important figures. I'm not familiar with Islam much, so I don't know what you're specifically referring to - Like, days dedicated to them? Titles? There are no days celebrating any biblical figures in Judaism and there are no real equivalent to saints (as far as I'm aware of). Moses is usually referred to as "Moses our Rabbi" and Abraham as "Abraham our Father."
Sometimes Rabbis are treated with special honor for their achievement and they'll earn titles like Gaon (genius) and will have their pictures hang in home.
If you give examples for this in Islam I could probably answer you better.

I come for a rather religious family, so I'll be happy to answer as much questions as I can.

That would be a long ass list - And it'll pretty much be the book of Deuteronomy. There's also the "verbal Torah" ("Torah She Be Alpe" is Hebrew) which is the rules, stories and what not that is not written but passed down verbally from generation to generation. Another curious thing, is that when a rabbi gives a law, it's generally cannot be disagreed by another Rabbi (that doesn't stop Rabbi from twisting the law into fitting into the exact opposite position if they need.) so it can get sort of complicated. There's also a strong element of tradition - For example, locust are considered kosher in the bible but most Jews (other than Yemeni Jews) will not eat them because it's traditionally forbidden (because it was not clear what type of locust they could eat while in the diaspora.) In short, as an old Jewish Russian song goes - "It's hard to be Jewish, you have to get up early."

As for remembering important figures. Hmmm. Well, Judaism doesn't have a strong element of prophets or important figures. I'm not familiar with Islam much, so I don't know what you're specifically referring to - Like, days dedicated to them? Titles? There are no days celebrating any biblical figures in Judaism and there are no real equivalent to saints (as far as I'm aware of). Moses is usually referred to as "Moses our Rabbi" and Abraham as "Abraham our Father."
Sometimes Rabbis are treated with special honor for their achievement and they'll earn titles like Gaon (genius) and will have their pictures hang in home.
If you give examples for this in Islam I could probably answer you better.

I come for a rather religious family, so I'll be happy to answer as much questions as I can.
Thanks for the answers dude (ha just noticed your username itself is "dude" lol)

In regards to remembering important figures. Some Muslims for example celebrate the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or anually commerorate the passing of important figures in Islam such as the Prophet/his family members/Calips/prominent scholars. Some visit the graves of these people and spend time there. Within Islam there is a divide between those who think this type of thing is forbidden/allowed and how it impacts upon the Oneness of God.

I have quite a few questions about Judaism actually, I find it fascinating and know so little about it and have always been quite keen to learn more, so I do have a few questions for you! I'm gonna start off with a few:

- Is there something similar to the '5 pillars of Islam' in Judaism?
- Is there a pilgrimage for Jews and is it required upon them?
- What are the guidelines for prayer in Judaism? Is is regimented like it is in Islam or quite free and open?
- Are there many sects within the faith and if so what are the relations like between them and what is the cause of the split?

Also what do Jews believe about the Prophet Muhammad? Is it simply that he is a made up character that didn't exist or something along the lines of he did exist and claimed to be a Prophet etc. Feel free to answer this question as directly and openly as you like; I won't be offended. This is just interesting to me as a Muslim and I'm wondering what Jews (or just you personally) believe about this.

dude

dude
Thanks for the answers dude (ha just noticed your username itself is "dude" lol)

In regards to remembering important figures. Some Muslims for example celebrate the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or anually commerorate the passing of important figures in Islam such as the Prophet/his family members/Calips/prominent scholars. Some visit the graves of these people and spend time there. Within Islam there is a divide between those who think this type of thing is forbidden/allowed and how it impacts upon the Oneness of God.

I have quite a few questions about Judaism actually, I find it fascinating and know so little about it and have always been quite keen to learn more, so I do have a few questions for you! I'm gonna start off with a few:

- Is there something similar to the '5 pillars of Islam' in Judaism?
- Is there a pilgrimage for Jews and is it required upon them?
- What are the guidelines for prayer in Judaism? Is is regimented like it is in Islam or quite free and open?
- Are there many sects within the faith and if so what are the relations like between them and what is the cause of the split?

Also what do Jews believe about the Prophet Muhammad? Is it simply that he is a made up character that didn't exist or something along the lines of he did exist and claimed to be a Prophet etc. Feel free to answer this question as directly and openly as you like; I won't be offended. This is just interesting to me as a Muslim and I'm wondering what Jews (or just you personally) believe about this.

No problems! I'm not a religious Jew myself (I barely even identify myself as Jewish at all), but I'll answer what I can!
Keep in mind I don't know much about Islam (or Christianity, for that matter), so I don't know how to compare the answers I have.

1. I had to look up what the Pillars of Islam were, but I can't think of any direct equivalent concept in Judaism. There's the concept of "613 Commandments" (Yes, 613) which is like a list of all laws, recommendations and other such guidelines for Jews. It's not really the same though.

2. Not today, no. There are some that are described in Deuteronomy and other books in the bible (on the holidays of Shavu'ot, Passover and Sukot) - But they're not practiced today, as long as there's no Temple in Jerusalem.

3. I don't know what's considered rigid since I don't have much experience with other religions, but I think it's still pretty strict. You have to say a prayer at sundrise and sundown, before eating (different prayers for different types of food), the first word when waking up are supposed to be some prayer and there's even a prayer you have to say before shitting.

4. Hmmm. There are different traditions in Judaism, but I think none of them are as extreme as in other religions. Basically - There's the community you come from, that is where you're from or where your family was from in the diaspora. For exmaple, Ashkenazi Jews (make up about 70% of all Jews worldwide. Ashkenaz is an ancient word for Germany), Sephardi Jews (descendants of the jews expelled from Spain, mostly to Muslim countries), Beta Israel (Ethiopian Jews) and much more. They differ in mostly superficial traditions, different ways of singing prayers and slightly different ways of celebrating holidays etc.
There are also movements within the religion, which differ in observance because of different philosophical approach to the texts, different ways of interpreting it and just straight up adherence level. For example, conservative Judaism, orthodox Judaism, reform Judaism etc.
Hasidic Judaism also differ from one another through the Rabbi they follow, they'll have some different rituals or philosophical approach than other who follow a different Rabbi - They can usually also be told apart by the way they dress and such.
But as I said, none of these are really a distinct "sects", the difference is rather superficial most of the time. I think (through my limited knowledge of other religions) it's much less dramatic than the difference between Catholic and Protestant or Sunni and Shia. The only real distinct sect in Judaism were the Karaite Judaism (as opposed to today's Rabannical Judaism), which rejected all verbal Torah and relied exclusively on the written texts, and considering at least half the laws in Judaism are not in the bible, that can be a rather extreme difference. But there are like ten thousand of them in world today or something, so they're rather insignificant.

I don't know what's the general opinion of Muhammad, I don't think there's an official statement. I think some Rabbi once referred to him as "The Mad Man" or something. He's definitely not as hated as Jesus though, who some Jews hate so much they won't even say his name. In general, Jews don't think much of the founders of their fellow Abrahamic Religions, at best seeing them as complete infidels.

Hell, I'm not even religious, and I'm far left of center, but I love and embrace my Hebrew/Israelite heritage. I don't think you're alone there. XD

So the first guy/girl in your family converted and then moved to Israel?

Nah, they live down in San diego, but her husband's sister lives near Jerusalem and is married to a big muckity muck in the world of Jewish Charities.

So, Jewish Tribalism, the Synagogue I loosely affiliate myself with had a rememberance/party/thing for Maurice Sendak who was Jewish, but apparently hated judiasm I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, the whole party Idea is just awesome, but on the other, if a dude doesn't want to be associated, he doesn't want to be associated ya know?

dude

dude
Middle East pride. I couldn't find a Hebrew equivalent that I liked, so I went with the next best thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk0q4Y-5pvo

Post some Hebrew/Jewish music, or other Middle Eastern tunes.

Oy Division is this awesomely named punkish cabaret klezmer band, they sing in Yiddish.
Songs: Wedding Song, Dumay (Think) (With Psoy Korolenko), Ekh Lyuli Lyuli

Boom Pam are also a very cool band - They are a trio of guitar, drums and tuba. They blend Klezmer, Balkan, Mediterranean and surf music.
Surfing Tuba. Their awesome cover to Abracadabra: Alakazam, The Souvlak, Sounds of the Oud, Two songs of them in Hebrew: Hatul ve Hatula (A male cat and a female cat) and No Waves.

And to finish, The Alayev Family. They're a family of three generation playing together Bukharan Jewish music. Can't find much of them on Youtube, but here:
Radio Appearance, Matounda, Boe Boe.

RawPower

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37760827&postcount=203

Usually when I snap at someone, I feel really bad about it afterwards. Not this time. He's crossing the line into territory where he does not fucking belong (assuming he's not Jewish).

Oy Division is this awesomely named punkish cabaret klezmer band, they sing in Yiddish.
Songs: Wedding Song, Dumay (Think) (With Psoy Korolenko), Ekh Lyuli Lyuli

Boom Pam are also a very cool band - They are a trio of guitar, drums and tuba. They blend Klezmer, Balkan, Mediterranean and surf music.
Surfing Tuba. Their awesome cover to Abracadabra: Alakazam, The Souvlak, Sounds of the Oud, Two songs of them in Hebrew: Hatul ve Hatula (A male cat and a female cat) and No Waves.

And to finish, The Alayev Family. They're a family of three generation playing together Bukharan Jewish music. Can't find much of them on Youtube, but here:
Radio Appearance, Matounda, Boe Boe.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

Stet

Banned
I was watching an episode of Nazi Hunters the other night (and don't knock it, it's actually a really well-done show) and it featured Abba Kovner and the Jewish Avengers. Several of them were still alive and living in Israel, and admitted to killing several suspected Nazis in cold blood. Regardless of whether or not their victims deserved it, how free is Israel for political asylum like that?

RawPower

Banned
I was watching an episode of Nazi Hunters the other night (and don't knock it, it's actually a really well-done show) and it featured Abba Kovner and the Jewish Avengers. Several of them were still alive and living in Israel, and admitted to killing several suspected Nazis in cold blood. Regardless of whether or not their victims deserved it, how free is Israel for political asylum like that?

I'm not sure how I should answer this. However, I'd argue that it isn't cold blooded at all if the victims were truly guilty of belonging to the SS. The Nazis deserved FAR worse than they got, and many of the big fish (like Josef Mengele) were never caught.

Kad5

As a person of Iranian descent i've known some pretty cool Persian Jews. Persians and Jews have had a long history together.

Stet

Banned
I'm not sure how I should answer this. However, I'd argue that it isn't cold blooded at all if the victims were truly guilty of belonging to the SS. The Nazis deserved FAR worse than they got, and many of the big fish (like Josef Mengele) were never caught.

Well yeah, but I just mean that vigilanteism is usually illegal regardless of whether or not it's justified. And I used the phrase cold blood because one of them literally said he made a suspected Nazi dig his own grave.

not jewish but debating to propose to one.
can someone in that know of old jewish customs give light on what
the old jewish wedding customs are?

her family are hardcore jewish.
i know about asking the father's permission,
but that's all i know.
i really want to make a good impression on her family customs.

notworksafe

Well you could always ask her father to pay you...just kidding! But no, there isn't much that is still done in modern times as far as proposals, unless you wanted to make a marriage contract. You'll get plenty awesome Jew customs at the wedding though.

Also congrats man!

dude

dude
So basically, if someone converted they would be forced into marrying only those who also converted?

On another note: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37805539&postcount=265

I'm tempted to rip him a new asshole, but that would get me banned. Fuck him.

In ultra-orthodox circles, most marriages are done through a shidduch, and if you're a convert, you value gets dropped and you'll have to settle for an "inferior" mate. Having someone in your family going secular or anything like that can also get you screwed.

If X said something like, my mother's mother was Jewish (which would make X Jewish, right?), how do they verify that sort of thing?
I don't know about how Birthright checks this, but in Israel you just need to provide evidence for up to three generations before.

I don't know about how Birthright checks this, but in Israel you just need to provide evidence for up to three generations before.

I had a friend that did Birthright, they didn't check him and he wasn't a practicing jew. Though I'd imagine that you'd give yourself away if you weren't jewish and went.

RawPower

Banned
In ultra-orthodox circles, most marriages are done through a shidduch, and if you're a convert, you value gets dropped and you'll have to settle for an "inferior" mate. Having someone in your family going secular or anything like that can also get you screwed.

Inferior in what way?

dude

dude
Inferior in what way?

Well... Another convert, someone from a less respected family etc.

I had a friend that did Birthright, they didn't check him and he wasn't a practicing jew. Though I'd imagine that you'd give yourself away if you weren't jewish and went.
No one is checking whether you're practicing, Israel doesn't check that either. I don't know if Birthright checks anything at all, but in Israel it's up to three generations back.

No one is checking whether you're practicing, Israel doesn't check that either. I don't know if Birthright checks anything at all, but in Israel it's up to three generations back.

Thats what I was saying. He did birthright and never had any checks. I think he had to do an interview and that was it. I could be wrong.

Boss Man

What's up fellow Heebs. Chosen people represent!

If nothing else, Jews are fantastic at sticking to tradition.
I think it's because being Jewish means something both religiously and culturally, and the concept of sticking to tradition is ingrained in both. That connection has made the culture seemingly immortal. It's interesting to think that even modern Jewish tradition is identical, or nearly identical, to the same types of traditions and mindsets that Jews were practicing since before the Roman Empire existed. I don't take part in it as much as I'd like to, but I've always found it incredibly interesting from a historical snapshot kind of perspective.

Kenka

Moslem (from Afghanistan !) checking in. I'll grab my popcorn and observe silently like a padawan. I hope GAF will be gentle enough to answer some questions down the road.

dude

dude
Moslem (from Afghanistan !) checking in. I'll grab my popcorn and observe silently like a padawan. I hope GAF will be gentle enough to answer some questions down the road.

I believe everyone here would love to answer any question you might have :)

IceCold

Is it weird that I know this due to Curb your Enthusiasm?

Top Bottom