• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Are the glowing enemies tougher than regular ones (besides giving more XP) as well?

I mean i've defeated bounding beasts before (EO IV overworld) and while the fights were kinda tough i could manage. THIS bastard though... no chance :(

omlet

Are the glowing enemies tougher than regular ones (besides giving more XP) as well?

I mean i've defeated bounding beasts before (EO IV overworld) and while the fights were kinda tough i could manage. THIS bastard though... no chance :(

Yes, the game should have told you about glowing enemies when you first encounter them, I think. They grow stronger each turn they are alive and will take their turn before your team. However, if you beat them, they multiply the experience for the entire battle. Be careful with glowing FOEs because they can be very dangerous, but they can also be worth oodles of exp if defeated.

tuffy

I don't believe they have any more HP or hit any harder at first, but they're almost certain to move first under normal circumstances and that's liable to give you a hard time. It may be necessary to bind their arms, paralyze them or just avoid them altogether until you've gained a few more levels.

Yes, the game should have told you about glowing enemies when you first encounter them, I think. They grow stronger each turn they are alive and will take their turn before your team. However, if you beat them, they multiply the experience for the entire battle. Be careful with glowing FOEs because they can be very dangerous, but they can also be worth oodles of exp if defeated.

Musta shrugged that part off... well damn, i'll be back eventually (stronger) and if i see that glowing guy again he's gonna be sorry ;)

Zweizer

Banned
I don't believe they have any more HP or hit any harder at first, but they're almost certain to move first under normal circumstances and that's liable to give you a hard time. It may be necessary to bind their arms, paralyze them or just avoid them altogether until you've gained a few more levels.

They don't have more HP but they do get an increase of stats every turn (something like 10%?).

Dandy made a Shishou banner~

Yay~ Thanks~

G.ZZZ

In EO2 i had a lvl 84 Ronin lol... So many frogs ;_;

I wanted to see if i could solo the game , but it was too hard. I think i managed to do finish the normal game (no postgame strata) with a 3 man party, but postgame bah...

Rutger

Banned
In EO2 i had a lvl 84 Ronin lol... So many frogs ;_;

I wanted to see if i could solo the game , but it was too hard. I think i managed to do finish the normal game (no postgame strata) with a 3 man party, but postgame bah...

I don't know if any game can be soloed. I'd imagine your best bet in EOII would be the Hexer, since all you need in that game is Revenge and Torpor, but playing the whole game at 1HP would be frustrating. For a three man party, a Hexer and the Dark Hunter and Gunner for the force skills should be enough for the Dragons, probably the post game final boss too as long as you have enough Axcela IIs.

Maybe EOIII with the Ninja's clones is possible, I know there's a setup to solo the post game final boss with it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a roadblock somewhere, but subclasses might give you the freedom you need to work around them. This does sound more fun than attempting to solo EOII.

I miss the Ninja. EOIII had the best classes.

I don't know if any game can be soloed. I'd imagine your best bet in EOII would be the Hexer, since all you need in that game is Revenge and Torpor, but playing the whole game at 1HP would be frustrating. For a three man party, a Hexer and the Dark Hunter and Gunner for the force skills should be enough for the Dragons, probably the post game final boss too as long as you have enough Axcela IIs.

Maybe EOIII with the Ninja's clones is possible, I know there's a setup to solo the post game final boss with it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a roadblock somewhere, but subclasses might give you the freedom you need to work around them. This does sound more fun than attempting to solo EOII.

I miss the Ninja. EOIII had the best classes.

I recall some guy finishing most if not all of EO3 with just a Wildling.

Which is insane if you ask me.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't know if any game can be soloed...

It seems like most bosses can be soloed, even some of the bonus ones. Of course, it requires an insane amount of preparation and luck. I think EO4 can be beaten with a single character. Not sure about the first game or Untold. I did see solo Protector managing everything but the bonus boss (though Yggdrasil Core is doable on Picnic), so there's that. Some claim Ur-Child is possible to solo, though I haven't seen it.

To be fair, Wildling is probably the class best suited for a solo run with the summons. Still a pretty noteworthy achievement.

tuffy

Solo runs of EO II with Dark Hunters and Protectors got through the main story part of the game, as I recall.

Though I consider a 3 character, no-chemicals run of the EO IV final boss to be extra insane.

tuffy

As I understand it, Tagen Battou shenanigans with a solo Ninja is one of the more foolproof ways to bring down the Abyssal God; send in the clones for 5280% damage once he leaves defensive mode.

KdylanR92

Playing EO4 right now and i have to say my favorite part about this series is progressing through the game then going back and just curb-stomping some of the earlier FOEs

Playing EO4 right now and i have to say my favorite part about this series is progressing through the game then going back and just curb-stomping some of the earlier FOEs

The game is even encouraged you to go back and destroy them to get some conditional drops, it's awesome.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm sure I'm not the first to think the shortcuts are only one way, but god I feel like a dumbass. Also lots of relief. I don't feel like they make it very clear, though.

Another solution is to put up roadblocks in the main labyrinth that requires an item from one of the caves to get past. Getting past the roadblock could lead to a ship upgrade, which opens up more overworld, which leads to more caves to explore, one of which might contain an item to get past the next set of roadblocks in the main labyrinth, and so on.

It'd be a nice way to add some variety to the dungeon crawling without necessarily splitting up the maze.

OOH, I like this one too. Quests and such could do it too.

Nich, you readin' this? :p

Links_fantasy

I have all the 3DS Etrian Odyssey games and looking forward to the remake of II, then hopefully the third as I love the ocean vibe of it but don't want to play the DS version as I know it will be remade.

Laconic

Banned
I am the soul of ambivalence itself, regarding EO2U.

I am simultaneously appalled at my unfettered slobbering excitement over it, and completely and utterly indifferent to my being so appalled.

That first-rate intelligence.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You cray. EO2 is the best EO.

Atmosphere wise that is.

It's either my favorite or second favorite game in the series behind 1. I waffle on it.

I'm going to buy it. No question about that. I'm sick of buying it digitally day one though and not getting around to it for six months when it is inevitably on sale every other month for somewhere in the range of 33%-50% off like I did with...basically every single other Atlus 3DS game.

Not buying Persona Q at launch for similar reasons. 25 or under.

RonianAT2

Neo Member
It's either my favorite or second favorite game in the series behind 1. I waffle on it.

I'm going to buy it. No question about that. I'm sick of buying it digitally day one though and not getting around to it for six months when it is inevitably on sale every other month for somewhere in the range of 33%-50% off like I did with...basically every single other Atlus 3DS game.

Not buying Persona Q at launch for similar reasons. 25 or under.

In the US yes, but in Europe NISA releases are more expensive than Nintendo games.

I did beat III and IV and I like III most. On the other hand I dont own 2 and couldnt get past the second boss in the original 1. I might get the remake of 1 later, but Untold 2 for sure.

tuffy

Given that all the previous entries have come over, and Persona Q is coming over, and obscure SMT titles have come over, I'm just assuming EO2:U will be brought over too until I hear otherwise.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm more afraid about the EU localization considering the SMT4 debacle. I hope NISA will take care of it again (albeit faster if possible).

Guess we will have to see what happens with new management...

It would be kinda useless to own Atlus and stop them from releasing their niche games everywhere, that's all they do.

If SMT4 is any indication, I'm afraid it's only going to worsen.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Have Sega made any action concerning Atlus' properties aside from SMT4's launch delay in Europe?

I really doubt that anything like SMT4 will ever happen, that was a mess in another level.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It would be kinda useless to own Atlus and stop them from releasing their niche games everywhere, that's all they do.

I really doubt that anything like SMT4 will ever happen, that was a mess in another level.

with how brilliant sega is when it comes to the west i wouldnt put anything past them.

Ok, so:

Lush Woodlands B3F, up to the final boss or what i THINK is the final boss anyway, in a space with 2 other smaller versions of him but i somehow managed to get them BOTH in one battle and survived!!! Now only the big guy himself remains but he won't follow me and i forgot to use one of the smaller ones to smash that wooden gate nearby :( I think you're not supposed to do it this way but probably should lure them away somehow but i didn't know how so here i am lol.

Do these respawn as well or am i better off just going for the big guy now and not ever being able to open that area? (I kinda suspect there being that damn spring i'm looking for for a quest in that place damnit)

tuffy

Do these respawn as well or am i better off just going for the big guy now and not ever being able to open that area? (I kinda suspect there being that damn spring i'm looking for for a quest in that place damnit)
You're basically doing things the hard way, but that's okay. The gate to be smashed by the smaller Bloodbears actually leads to a passage behind the big maze boss so you can take him on without them joining in the fight. But if you've already killed them both, all you're losing is the free turn you'd get by attacking the boss from behind. They do respawn in a game week or two, but it's probably not worth waiting around.

If you're still hunting for that lost ring, the pool it's in doesn't require getting past the maze boss to get to.

damnit i was damn sure i checked all of them pools too... guess i didn't after all :(

Ok, that means back to exploring i guess... Do the smaller bears also respawn once i actually KILL their leader then? Because while i get what you're saying, my mild but present OCD may yet prevent me from leaving that one area unexplored ;) I like my maps COMPLETE...

tuffy

All the FOEs and almost all of the maze bosses respawn after awhile; I can only think of three story-centric fights that can't be redone. But not to worry, that particular passage to the boss can also be accessed from the other side once he's been defeated.

And as for the pool, check the northeast end of the map.

syncyes

So I finally like my party in EOIV :p Although I'm not sure about my subclasses yet

L/R F/D D/N
A/M R/M

Played through like a stratum and a half yesterday because when I get into an EO game, I get into it.

Setting up those ridiculous Link/Dancer Chase combos is way too fun, haha.

Kirlia

Banned
Beat Ketos in EO3! Spout actually didn't seem to make that much of a difference to his evasion, to the point where I didn't need to use the Metopon I had...but I think I was a little lucky in this fight because he didn't use Great Melody (afflicts Sleep on all party members) that much, and it didn't affect my Monk, who has Level 8 Refresh and woke everyone right up. Also, I was pretty high-leveled (everyone was Level 29-30). Still, it was a pretty tense battle.

Now I get to have fun with subclasses! But when do I unlock one of the two special classes?

Ah, this explains much! lol
For clarity, my EO1 party is: front line, Landschneckt, Dark Hunter, Medic; back line, Alchemist, Hexer. I beat the final boss with that party and got to the postgame content, only to suddenly have it be pretty much useless. That's unfair design, really.

Yeah, Hexer, Ronin, and kinda Dark Hunter were varying levels of gimp in that one, and Medic, Protector, and arguably Troubador mandatory, especially beyond the endboss. Like Man God said, 2 has much fewer problems with this (Hexer is boss for bosses, and Beast's Loyalty having ugly side effects to mastery), and it's not stupid broken like 3 was (Royalty + anything, Shogun + anything, Hoplite + Ninja, it goes on).
I never did play EO2 much... I think I'm only a few floors into it. I did play more of EO3, though. I didn't finish the game, but I'm pretty deep into it. I should get back to that game sometime, I really liked it. Sure, the Princess/Prince's healing march is kind of ridiculously good, but I didn't mind, it was nice to actually be able to survive in an EO game for once... and it doesn't help you in battle, only in healing between fights.

Also, Troubadours are good in EO1? Huh. I started with one, but abandoned it as soon as the Hexer unlocked.

Damn i thought i was WAY overleveled to face the Berserker King in Lush Woodlands with lvl 17 for my whole team but... he STILL nearly got me. This game is a bit tougher than i thought. It's ok though, i did prevail in the end :)

Kirlia

Banned
Damn i thought i was WAY overleveled to face the Berserker King in Lush Woodlands with lvl 17 for my whole team but... he STILL nearly got me. This game is a bit tougher than i thought. It's ok though, i did prevail in the end :)

I think I was around Level 19 or 20 when I fought that guy...never underestimate a boss battle in an Etrian Odyssey game. Or any battle, really, no matter how high your levels are.

Anteo

I remember I was farming some post game bosses in IV. I got like 20 levels this way and one of the fuckers managed to wipe my party out of one mistake.

Top Bottom