• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen trailers

Ken

1:

So this is the original game "as is" + an expansion option for the new underground area.

Or is this the original game with the expansions built in (new abilities etc.) making it a different game from what I have now?

2:

New enemies? I don't want palette swaps (Chimera - Gore Chimera), (Wolf - Hellhoud).

1. It sounds like most of the expansion stuff aside from the new abilities and augments won't tie into the main story? Sounds kind of like a Shivering isles thing where majority of the expansion will take place away from Gransys on that Isle (lol) and when you're done you return to Gransys as if nothing has happened...maybe. So yeah, it's the original game with new abilities and augments and additional area not on Gransys.

2. I saw some new enemies in the trailer, or at the very least new bosses and a few palette swaps like a zombie dragon and a red gargoyle I think. Also saw giant flaming lizards but they could just be more saurians.

Based on their fast travel change, I get the feeling the next Dragon's Dogma 2 will be even more like Elder Scrolls.

It's a shame they're changing fast travel. I liked the fast travel system in DD. You just had to be smart about where you put your port crystals.

1: It looks like the original with the expansion built in and will be compatible with the original release.

Ok this game is actually different and not an addition expansion seperate from the main game.

It will basically patch your main game with new options?

You will start off with (if new game) or have your existing game patched with the new system in place. (Increased character customization options) (Item appraisal) (+whatever else) etc.

Existing owners will get unlimited rift crystals off the bat is nice.

1. It sounds like most of the expansion stuff aside from the new abilities and augments won't tie into the main story? Sounds kind of like a Shivering isles thing where majority of the expansion will take place away from Gransys on that Isle (lol) and when you're done you return to Gransys as if nothing has happened.

ok now I'm confused lol.

It's a shame they're changing fast travel. I liked the fast travel system in DD. You just had to be smart about where you put your port crystals.

Didn't it allow you 10? I mean that pretty much allows you to go everywhere. It can still be done properly. or maybe they'll have horseback. Still, very excited for this.

Audioboxer

Never owned the original, only rented it and quite enjoyed it.

Will buy the disc based version with the expansion - I do hope some of the expansion changes will affect the whole game, and not just be secluded to a "trap door" to a new area.

Ken

Ok this game is actually different and not an addition expansion seperate from the main game.

It will basically patch your main game with new options?

You will start off with (if new game) or have your existing game patched with the new system in place. (Increased character customization options) (Item appraisal) (+whatever else) etc.

Existing owners will get unlimited rift crystals off the bat is nice.

ok now I'm confused lol.

Yeah the original game will be different.

You're buying an updated version of the original game and the expansion.

Didn't it allow you 10? I mean that pretty much allows you to go everywhere. It can still be done properly. or maybe they'll have horseback. Still, very excited for this.

Something like that. You just had to place them at spots you know you'll go back to. Me too. DD was a lot of fun.

Arucardo

You're still buying Valkyria Chronicles though, right? Right?

Sure! I'm basing the purchase purely on seeing someone play it way back when it released, maybe I'll like it...I like the art style and I'm a big fan of strategy/tactics games so I'll probably get something out of it.

(sorry about the off-topic)

Sure! I'm basing the purchase purely on seeing someone play it way back when it released, maybe I'll like it...I like the art style and I'm a big fan of strategy/tactics games so I'll probably get something out of it.

(sorry about the off-topic)

Awesome! One of the best games this gen. Just stay away from its PSP sequel.

blade85

Neo Member
Cool, I was just mulling over buying this and Valkyria Chronicles for the last few days, but I guess I'll wait for this instead. Original game is about 20 eur in retail here so this seems like a fair price.

valkyria chronicles.....one of the best games this gen in my opinion.

Either way you cant really loose as Dragons dogma was a lot of fun as well.

Great. No DLC option for those of us who actually care enough to buy this.
Plus no PC version, plus they didn't fix the stupid black bars.

I loved almost every minute of this game when I played it last year, but nothx Capcom.
Also, my TV still has the stupid health bar burned into it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pricing and DLC-only confusion aside-

THIS is how you do an expansion. You don't just toss extra shit mid-game that autolevels whenever the player wants to try it.

You give them content that exists for their character after they have beat the game.

Thank god. I'm so sick of the Borderlands/Mass Effect/Fallout/Oblivion "derplay it whenever you want lol we'll make it work" approach. That mindset entirely defeats the purpose of progressing in an RPG. Might as well just take stats completely out of the picture and make it an adventure game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
wait, so I need to spend another 40 bucks if I want to play this?

what the fuck Capcom

goddammit

They may "announce" the DLC-only version later. I remember when the Dragon Knight expansion for Divinity 2 came out, it was only sold as Div 2 + Dragon Knight for a while. It took them about three months to come out with just the Dragon Knight expansion DLC for original owners.

I'm hoping this isn't the case, and it was just an oversight on Capcom's part to not mention that you can get just the DLC if you already own the game.

Arucardo

Was there any difference between the 360 and ps3 version performance and IQ wise? (in the original game)

Just wondering which to go with on this one, achievements and trophies are worth nothing to me
KuGsj.gif

THIS is how you do an expansion. You don't just toss extra shit mid-game that autolevels whenever the player wants to try it.

You give them content that exists for their character after they have beat the game.

Thank god. I'm so sick of the Borderlands/Mass Effect/Fallout/Oblivion "derplay it whenever you want lol we'll make it work" approach. That mindset entirely defeats the purpose of progressing in an RPG. Might as well just take stats completely out of the picture and make it an adventure game.
i agree this feel like an old school extension where they add content and changes not some stuff they cut during devellopment to sell me as dlc

it into my veins. goddamn.

agreed 100%.

Grimsen

If it ends up 30$ in NA, it's definitely a good price for the content. And if you're still salty about the price, sell your original now?

Mxrz

Its a good thing to see again. Maybe if its a success more companies will try it. Bethesda made some claims about Skyrim, but so far it none of the dlc seems on par with the Shivering Isles, or even Tribunal / Bloodmoon.

Was there any difference between the 360 and ps3 version performance and IQ wise? (in the original game)

Just wondering which to go with on this one, achievements and trophies are worth nothing to me
KuGsj.gif

Both version have slowdown, but the PS3 has it worse. The 360 version has a lot of screen tearing. Both version are also in letterbox, so you have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Syril

Increased character customization options? I hope that includes blue hair. I wanted to make Ryu as my arisen and I was disappointed.

sammy

Totally downloading this when it comes out, really for the additional map content to explore. Wandering around in that game and beating the hell out of anything that moves is just pure joy.

Wonder how it will react to New-Game+ mode.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Increased character customization options? I hope that includes blue hair. I wanted to make Ryu as my arisen and I was disappointed.

You can buy blue hair dye at the encampment.

Also, I like how 100,000 Rift Crystals isn't even really much of a "bonus". I think I've got like 2,000,000. :lol

eXistor

I hate that they had to change the travel system. It was perfect first time around, why cater to the lowest common denomenator? I fear for DD2.

Still, more Dragon's Dogma is never a bad thing.

ironcreed

Banned
I was going to just download the content, but I don't give a damn. I'll re-buy it just to support the game. Besides, I want this box art. As for the trailers? Dat atmosphere and art... 'nuff said. How about that devil looking guy? Love it.

I was going to just download the content, but I don't give a damn. I'll re-buy it just to support the game. Besides, I want this box art. As for the trailers? Dat atmosphere and art... 'nuff said. How about that devil looking guy? Love it.

I know. I will buy the disc too. This game is way too sexy. Death sounds awesome, that new Dragon. Man. Going to be an awesome month start April.

Anteater

Good for those who are just picking this up, I always felt the original game was lacking, even though they managed to patch in a hardmode it was just a quick fix, original game+expansion with a title update is exactly what the game needs and the right direction. Can't wait to see what new skills are there, and I hope they patch in new monsters to the old map as well and maybe some balance fix (might be too much to ask for though from Capcom).

Having shitload of ferrystones is fine, since they can't "fix" the map design of the original game, it shaves off all the backtracking and avoid some terrible quests that made you run back and forth for no reason. Plus they're not giving you port crystals since they didn't mention it anywhere.

With that said, a terrible decision if they're not releasing a separate standalone expansion. Capcom gonna capcom.

The japanese trailer is boss as fuck though!

params7

Banned
Based on player feedback, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will make the Dragon’s Dogma gameplay experience even more satisfying, with improvements such as easier travel

Meh so free fast travels now to any part of the map? =/ Don't like that.

So if this take place after the real ending that means
were playing as our pawn in our body?

Sucks that capcom is being asses again, like I don't really like them but bought dd cause it looked great and it was, my goty last year. Then they turn around and do it again:( ill buy it though since I loved dd.

I'll more than likely be getting this day one, but I just wish they had randomly generated the mobs and loot so that every trip didn't feel the same.

I kinda wish that you didn't end up so overpowered towards the end of the game too. Hopefully, they won't have any spells that are as broken as maelstrom was in the main game.

Top Bottom