• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•17-19•17 - King Kong dethroned as Disney continues to BEAST box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will probably be Henwick.

Isn't Henwick half White? I can see that be a problem.

You have to factor in the exhibitor split. So 55% of the domestic take after the theatre's cut is $73M.

I'd guess that production, distribution, and advertising expenses totaled $20M or so. That leaves around $50M in the black from the domestic run to date to be split by those who financed and created the film.

Add in profits from home video, TV licensing, and streaming.

I just meant the film gross. Advertising expenses is at least 25 to 30 million. That's the number Jason Blum specifically stated in a recent interview. It's why he budgets his films now at 5 million, and gives directors final cut to make the film they want to make, and only decides what type of release the film will have till after watching the finished product and testing it. Worst case scenario, they put the film straight to home video and streaming services, and only lose a million dollars; because they know they'll make 2 million in the US, and 2 million overseas. Because they know if they decide to make the film wide release it needs 25 to 30 million dollars marketing, and they want to make certain they have a film that could recoup those costs. They've been typically great at doing this and rarely get it wrong, but missed the mark big time with Jem and the Holograms

How does it work with Split? Is Blumhouse only in charge of marketing and whatever else? Like Fox with Lucas?

I'm pretty certain Universal handled marketing and paid the expenses. If I had to guess, I think his take percentage wise will be smaller than a film like Get Out, since Shyamalan self financed the film.

On the one hand: A "live-action" (LOL how?) Lion King remake should blow the fucking doors off every theater it's in.

On the other: There are going to be no human beings in it, and you're going to have a bunch of relatively inexpressive photorealistic CGI animals trying to emote (and possibly sing) the entire time.

It's one thing to see this and get the warm fuzzies

It's another to see a realistically, painstakingly modeled and rendered lifelike meerkat gyrating on top of a warthog and get the same vibe.

I think there's potential for disconnect there. Not enough to derail the box-office train, of course.

Wanderer5

What a huge opening. Shall get around seeing Beauty and the Beast later this week. Bit iffy on some things, but as a fan of both the animated movie and the stage musical, I can't just not see this sooner or later.

kswiston

I just meant the film gross. Advertising expenses is at least 25 to 30 million. That's the number Jason Blum specifically stated in a recent interview. It's why he budgets his films now at 5 million, and gives directors final cut to make the film they want to make, and only decides what type of release the film will have till after watching the finished product and testing it. Worst case scenario, they put the film straight to home video and streaming services, and only lose a million dollars; because they know they'll make 2 million in the US, and 2 million overseas. Because they know if they decide to make the film wide release it needs 25 to 30 million dollars marketing, and they want to make certain they have a film that could recoup those costs. They've been typically great at doing this and rarely get it wrong, but missed the mark big time with Jem and the Holograms

Interesting to know that we have a firmer estimate on the marketing budget for Blumhouse type films. I guess Deadline was lowballing, as I have seen them quote $10-20M often for those types of films.

I suppose that this also illustrates why larger studios continue to focus on blockbusters. "Why don't they just make micro-budget horror films?" seems logical at first glance when you are just comparing raw production budget and box office numbers, but the actual profit at the theatrical level is usually relatively low.

Let's assume that Get Out's extended run drove the marketing expenses up to $30M. Let's also assume that the domestic run will end up around $175M.

Ballpark Studio Cut = 175 * 0.55 = $96M
Production and Marketing expenses = $35M
Net profit on the theatrical run = $60M (plus whatever they get overseas after expenses)

That's a great return on expenses, but Get Out is also going to be the highest grossing microbudget horror/thriller of all time domestically.

Interesting to know that we have a firmer estimate on the marketing budget for Blumhouse type films. I guess Deadline was lowballing, as I have seen them quote $10-20M often for those types of films.

I suppose that this also illustrates why larger studios continue to focus on blockbusters. "Why don't they just make micro-budget horror films?" seems logical at first glance when you are just comparing raw production budget and box office numbers, but the actual profit at the theatrical level is usually relatively low.

Let's assume that Get Out's extended run drove the marketing expenses up to $30M. Let's also assume that the domestic run will end up around $175M.

Ballpark Studio Cut = 175 * 0.55 = $96M
Production and Marketing expenses = $35M
Net profit on the theatrical run = $60M (plus whatever they get overseas after expenses)

That's a great return on expenses, but Get Out is also going to be the highest grossing microbudget horror/thriller of all time domestically.

Well the 25 to 30 million estimate is for wide release on his films. Something like The Belko Experiment probably had a lower marketing budget.

Often times blockbusters actual returns can be relatively low. Blum believes the reason people do Blockbusters is due to ego and wanting to become part of the "cool kids" part of Hollywood. While despite his success, he's still relegated to the "goofy geeks" on the outside looking in part of Hollywood. LOL

EGM1966

Given the original is the better film and the live action film adds nothing to the concept I feel it's a completely redundant work - but dang was it guaranteed to make big numbers.

Disney really can do very little wrong at the moment.

Kong total at this point looks low for the budget but I guess international may help out.

Very curious to see the legs on B&B live vs say Jungle Book.

BumRush

On the one hand: A "live-action" (LOL how?) Lion King remake should blow the fucking doors off every theater it's in.

On the other: There are going to be no human beings in it, and you're going to have a bunch of relatively inexpressive photorealistic CGI animals trying to emote (and possibly sing) the entire time.

It's another to see a realistically, painstakingly modeled and rendered lifelike meerkat gyrating on top of a warthog and get the same vibe.

I think there's potential for disconnect there. Not enough to derail the box-office train, of course.

Yup. It's still going to be a monster at the box office but it's going to struggle to capture the mood of the original.

I'm most interested in Aladdin with Mulan close behind.

OT, wow at that Saturday for BatB

Kusagari

Out of fairy tale cartoons to remake.

Then they will have to wait a few years before they can remake Tangled, Frozen, and company in the 2030s for maximum nostalgia impact.

I can definitely see them doing a live action Frozen in 15-20 years and it breaking whatever the OW record is at that point.

kswiston

Next week teenagers with attitude will dethrone it

Speaking of which, Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list.

Power Rangers remains at $38M opening and $110M total.
Life was bumped up to a $16M opening
CHiPs was bumped down to a $10M opening

Ghost in the Shell drops to $37M opening weekend and $95M total

Initial forecasts for Snatched and King Arthur were $25M OW/$85M total and $23M OW/$63M total respectively.

At least Guy Ritchie has Aladdin in the future (plus Sherlock Holmes 3 if they ever get around to it)!

Well the 25 to 30 million estimate is for wide release on his films. Something like The Belko Experiment probably had a lower marketing budget.

Often times blockbusters actual returns can be relatively low. Blum believes the reason people do Blockbusters is due to ego and wanting to become part of the "cool kids" part of Hollywood. While despite his success, he's still relegated to the "goofy geeks" on the outside looking in part of Hollywood. LOL

It really depends on whether you can create a franchise with legs in the blockbuster space, which doesn't happen that often. That said, production studios as big as Universal or WB couldn't live on $5-20M films with limited overseas appeal, multimedia crossover, and merchandising opportunities. They should still aim for diversity in their film portfolios though.

It really depends on whether you can create a franchise with legs in the blockbuster space. Which doesn't happen that often. That said, production studios as big as Universal or WB couldn't live on $5-20M films with limited overseas appeal, multimedia crossover, and merchandising opportunities. They should still aim for diversity in their film portfolios though.

Oh no doubt, but that's due to how bloated the studios have become, it's become an arms race in spending the most money to compete against each other in tentpole blockbuster releases with recognizable names and talent involved.

tomtom94

as Disney commits to putting a live action spin on the bulk of its animated properties (Fans of “Treasure Planet” may be out of luck).

*seethe*

Have to say I was not expecting B&tB to blow the doors off the box office quite so spectacularly, but kudos for that.

DJChuy

Impressive opening for Beauty and the beast. Glad it took the record from BvS.

We got Lion King, Mulan and Aladdin in the works. The Little Mermaid to be announced soon I'm guessing considering how much money they're making.

kswiston

Impressive opening for Beauty and the beast. Glad it took the record from BvS.

We got Lion King, Mulan and Aladdin in the works. The Little Mermaid to be announced soon I'm guessing considering how much money they're making.

I wonder what else they will do going forward. Out of the princess stuff, they still have the Little Mermaid and Snow White after Aladdin and Mulan. Those will for sure be on the schedule in the next few years. Snow White will probably come in at the tail end due to the glut of Snow White adaptations a few years back. I am guessing that the 2009 to present princess stuff will be allowed to age for another decade or so. Pocahontas is probably best left alone.

Dumbo and 101 Dalmations have been announced, and if Pinocchio and Bambi aren't in pre-production, I am sure that they will be shortly. That finishes off their best known classic stuff, outside of Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and the Sword and the Stone. Pan and Arthur have both had recent flops. I don't know if there is a market for live action Lady and the Tramp.

Disney had a pretty long run of less popular animated efforts in the 70s and 80s. Who knows if we get much out of that era. Ditto for the Disney of the 00s.

BumRush

I wonder what else they will do going forward. Out of the princess stuff, they still have the Little Mermaid and Snow White after Aladdin and Mulan. Those will for sure be on the schedule in the next few years. Snow White will probably come in at the tail end due to the glut of Snow White adaptations a few years back. I am guessing that the 2009 to present princess stuff will be allowed to age for another decade or so. Pocahontas is probably best left alone.

Dumbo and 101 Dalmations have been announced, and if Pinocchio and Bambi aren't in pre-production, I am sure that they will be shortly. That finishes off their best known classic stuff, outside of Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and the Sword and the Stone. Pan and Arthur have both had recent flops. I don't know if there is a market for live action Lady and the Tramp.

Disney had a pretty long run of less popular animated efforts in the 70s and 80s. Who knows if we get much out of that era. Ditto for the Disney of the 00s.

I think a live action Tangled remake would make sense sooner rather than later. It's probably much cheaper to make than the CGI heavy ones like Pinocchio, Dumbo, etc.

witness

Actually really happy with the drop for Kong, should have good legs. Enjoyed it very much and I'm excited about what's in store the next few years.

Is it safe to say Mulan might beat the mermaid's record in china? It's gonna be huge for asia in general. Disney better make the right decisions.

opricnik

Banned
American's love their Disney movies i guess.
I hope Kong or Logan will beat B&B though.

not deserved those millions in my opinion

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, I had no idea B&tB was doing so good in the reviews.

And those sales? Yikes.

kswiston

American's love their Disney movies i guess.
I hope Kong or Logan will beat B&B though.

not deserved those millions in my opinion

Everyone said that this was going to be the outcome in those other threads. It's not just America either, as the overseas total will most likely account for over 60% of the worldwide total. Other than maybe China, this film will be large in every major territory.

GhaleonEB

I agree, though I'd point to The Jungle Book for the look and style they'll probably go for. Minus the human kid, it was all CG and they walked that line between realistic animals and talking pretty well. Better than I thought they would going in.

xaosslug

i think it will be a bit like The Jungle Book & Cinderella, where it will be largely it's own thing as far as the big musical numbers go.

i'm more wondering how they're gonna be able to get a G or PG rating w/ the stampede scene... <__<

that said after Lion King drops we will def. have a new biggest opening record holder. That move is so beloved and hits every demo and age group, plus they touch on the talking mascot/animal craze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom