• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Desmond

Which one? The game was updated several times over the course of a few months. Most of the updates were just to give you a new costume to use in premium adventure mode with a couple of general bug fixes/minor performance improvements in one of the later patches. Nothing all that amazing.
Version 1.06 came out yesterday. Can't find the patch notes anywhere.

Sgblues

So next week(if not the week after that) we might be getting some info for the new game coming out, like the title, new character/characters, setting/settings and stuff like that.

So next week(if not the week after that) we might be getting some info for the new game coming out, like the title, new character/characters, setting/settings and stuff like that.

30th of May if I'm remembering correctly? I absolutely cannot wait to see what they announce. Hopefully we get more than just a title or a short teaser trailer.

Desmond

Well, I ignored the side content for the last few chapters, but after 40 hours, I finished the story. Those last two chapters were intense. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, and the twists and turns of the story haha.

I cheesed the LEGEND difficulty trophy, before getting my ass handed to me by
Good Ol Amon
in Substory 51 on NORMAL! Any tips?

Opa-Pa

Thank you everyone for your inputs. In the end I manages to find a sealed copy (!!) of Dead Souls and have been playing that from time to time. It's definitely janky and has awkward controls, but it still has that Yakuza charm that makes it a mostly enjoyable experience, so I'm having some pretty decent amount of fun... I'm kinda rushing it though since the gameplay simply isn't good enough to encourage me to tackle sub quests and the like.

Currently I'm playing as Ryuji and I think I'm almost done with his story. Majima's was the absolute best, and I'm glad I didn't ignore that Daigo quest lmao.

One thing has been bothering me though... Am I the only one who thinks Ryuji looks like shit? The guy looks like he's in his 50s and reminds me of a slightly younger Manfred Von Karma from Ace Attorney lol... Actually he looks like him in the live action movie, kinda of

latest

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-von-karma-460x194.jpg

Anyway, I'm really excited to make it to Y5 soon, hopefully.

Well, I ignored the side content for the last few chapters, but after 40 hours, I finished the story. Those last two chapters were intense. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, and the twists and turns of the story haha.

I cheesed the LEGEND difficulty trophy, before getting my ass handed to me by
Good Ol Amon
in Substory 51 on NORMAL! Any tips?

For this particular boss, I could swear its impossible (or just insanely difficult) to not die without having maxed levelled out Kiryu's stats and moves.

There is one particular move that was invaluable -
Amon
has a move late in the battle where he detonates all his drones which either decimates your health or out right kills you (on Hard mode at least, that's the difficulty I used). However, if you've unlocked one certain move (I'm sorry, I forget the exact name of the move, its been a little while since I played Yakuza 6) what you have to do is activate heat mode right before all the drones explode. You'll drop to 1 health point but not die. Then just heal yourself as per normal...

I actually found this guy easier than previous games (especially Ishin!), I did though have Kiryu maxed out so that probably helped, but make sure you have your tiger drop counter unlocked as well as the L1 parry move. Also make sure you've unlocked the upgrades for both moves which widen the window in which both can be performed, that makes it way easier to parry and counter him. Those two moves got me through the fight, plus you should have all Kiryu's heat moves unlocked so you'll be able to heat move off of most of Kiryu's attacks for extra damage.
Watch out for his drones, they just get in the way more than anything and keep in mind you need to throw the roomba drone at him when his energy shield is up to damage him.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. In the end I manages to find a sealed copy (!!) of Dead Souls and have been playing that from time to time. It's definitely janky and has awkward controls, but it still has that Yakuza charm that makes it a mostly enjoyable experience, so I'm having some pretty decent amount of fun... I'm kinda rushing it though since the gameplay simply isn't good enough to encourage me to tackle sub quests and the like.

The Diago quest cracked me up, partly because of the dialogue, and partly because of the horrified look on Daigo's face! Do yourself a favour and also do the hostess quest for Majima as well. The answers you can give while romancing the girl is brilliant (basically choose the jerk responses for each question) and obviously take her to Karaoke for Majima's epic singing. He's easily the high point of the game for me, especially his ending. I definitely enjoyed the game even with its short comings. Its not great, but the Yakuza charm carries it through.

Aki-at

One thing has been bothering me though... Am I the only one who thinks Ryuji looks like shit? The guy looks like he's in his 50s and reminds me of a slightly younger Manfred Von Karma from Ace Attorney lol... Actually he looks like him in the live action movie, kinda of

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-von-karma-460x194.jpg

Anyway, I'm really excited to make it to Y5 soon, hopefully.

He really has aged the worst out of all the Yakuza characters, funny considering he's one of the youngest.

Man didn't even have wrinkles 5 years back.

Opa-Pa

I ended up powering through Dead Souls and finished it last night and it was a pretty cool ride! Sure it's not the best Yakuza title, but the charm is there and once you get used to the awkward controls and the game's quirks it can be pretty fun. The bosses in particular were all nice and the story was surprisingly entertaining... I almost wish it was canon because of the way it treated Ryuji's character, his ending was pretty heartwarming and made me like the guy even more.

BUT ANYWAYS, YOU GUYS, YAKUZA 5.

I started it right after to see what it was like and god damn. The visuals, the fighting animations, the combat... Man I spent like an hour just playing both taxi mini games and had so much fun. I can already tell this is gonna be something special.

The Diago quest cracked me up, partly because of the dialogue, and partly because of the horrified look on Daigo's face! Do yourself a favour and also do the hostess quest for Majima as well. The answers you can give while romancing the girl is brilliant (basically choose the jerk responses for each question) and obviously take her to Karaoke for Majima's epic singing. He's easily the high point of the game for me, especially his ending. I definitely enjoyed the game even with its short comings. Its not great, but the Yakuza charm carries it through.

God yes, I had heard terrible things about the game but I'm loving this series so much I was compelled to give it a try either way and to be honest playable Majima was a big reason for that lol, and what do you know, upon starting the game I went to the special games menu and find a karaoke with him and Kazuma. Purchase instantly redeemed.

I think I enjoyed his story the most and lmao that twist at the end! I love this guy.

He really has aged the worst out of all the Yakuza characters, funny considering he's one of the youngest.

Man didn't even have wrinkles 5 years back.

Yeah it's especially bizarre because he looked particularly young in 2 and I think it's only been 5 years since that game? Dude looked like a grandpa.

Yakuza 5 is an interesting one. I personally absolutely love the ton of content in the game but there are many people that feel the game is too big (which is understandable). I loved the stuff like the Taxi Driving, Hunting etc. I thought they were executed well and insanely addictive. Plus I love all the crazy side stories you get with Kiryu that come from the Taxi company, its well worth doing them all if you have the time.

Desmond

I didn't import Kiwami as I expected to be living in Japan again soonish, but I need it haha. Now it's so hard to find a copy. AmazonJP themselves have none. Is it out of print or something? Googling it's just brings me to message boards speculating they are releasing a cheaper version on Switch haha.

bluethree

You won't have any problems finding Kiwami in stores. I see copies of it all the time. My nearest Tsutaya has a bunch.

Same with pretty much any Yakuza game - they're all super common here.

Desmond

You won't have any problems finding Kiwami in stores. I see copies of it all the time. My nearest Tsutaya has a bunch.

Same with pretty much any Yakuza game - they're all super common here.
I know that, I'm just not in Japan at the moment. Going over as an ALT either this autumn or spring, so I want to import and play now. Amazon JP has no copies availing of global shipping. Maybe play Asia would be the way to go but that would be import charges.

bluethree

Played a bit of 0 (Japanese PS4 version) and it looks so so good. It's clearly a cross-gen game but the resolution bump and 60fps are great. Combine that with a fresh take on Kamurocho and it's a pleasure to look at.

Opa-Pa

I reached what seems to be the last mission of Kazuma's chapter in Y5 the other night, so I just had a long session of training, extreme taxi driving and ramen serving, ending it with Bakamite at the karaoke with Kiryu, and I can confirm Yakuza 5 is the greatest game ever.

Yakuza 5 is an interesting one. I personally absolutely love the ton of content in the game but there are many people that feel the game is too big (which is understandable). I loved the stuff like the Taxi Driving, Hunting etc. I thought they were executed well and insanely addictive. Plus I love all the crazy side stories you get with Kiryu that come from the Taxi company, its well worth doing them all if you have the time.

Does it still feel too massive even ignoring most of the side content? I felt a bit overwhelmed when I found out about the multiple cities and many characters at first, but then I figured it'd be just like Yakuza 2 or 3 where the multiple locations don't affect the length of the game much.

Still though, this is the first Yakuza game where I feel excited to try /everything/, so no complaints from me so far!

I reached what seems to be the last mission of Kazuma's chapter in Y5 the other night, so I just had a long session of training, extreme taxi driving and ramen serving, ending it with Bakamite at the karaoke with Kiryu, and I can confirm Yakuza 5 is the greatest game ever.

Does it still feel too massive even ignoring most of the side content? I felt a bit overwhelmed when I found out about the multiple cities and many characters at first, but then I figured it'd be just like Yakuza 2 or 3 where the multiple locations don't affect the length of the game much.

Still though, this is the first Yakuza game where I feel excited to try /everything/, so no complaints from me so far!

There are a couple of story sections that could have been trimmed for sure, but if your not trying to do absolutely everything to 100% the game you'll most likely be fine (that said, 100%ing Yakuza 5 was personally the most satisfying and fun 100% I've ever gotten). And if you've not done the finale of Kiryu's chapter yet (before switching to the next character) your in for a treat, I rank that upcoming battle as one of the best in the series (in my opinion), so many badass moments. Not quite the 70 man brawl in Shenmue 1 but its close :)

Aki-at

Yakuza 5 is my favourite in the series and favourite in the video game. There's just WAY too much content that I got lost in it instead of progressing the story, the music is phenomenal and it has the best bosses in the series.

The only thing that's a bit of a drawback for me is the storyline is messy but then I'm not too keen on Yokoyama's storylines with the exception of Yakuza 0. It is overly dramatic and manly though, so you have that at least! :p

There are a couple of story sections that could have been trimmed for sure, but if your not trying to do absolutely everything to 100% the game you'll most likely be fine (that said, 100%ing Yakuza 5 was personally the most satisfying and fun 100% I've ever gotten). And if you've not done the finale of Kiryu's chapter yet (before switching to the next character) your in for a treat, I rank that upcoming battle as one of the best in the series (in my opinion), so many badass moments. Not quite the 70 man brawl in Shenmue 1 but its close :)

I dunno man... That
dodge
is one of my best gaming moments!

Yakuza 5 is my favourite in the series and favourite in the video game. There's just WAY too much content that I got lost in it instead of progressing the story, the music is phenomenal and it has the best bosses in the series.

The only thing that's a bit of a drawback for me is the storyline is messy but then I'm not too keen on Yokoyama's storylines with the exception of Yakuza 0. It is overly dramatic and manly though, so you have that at least! :p

I dunno man... That
dodge
is one of my best gaming moments!

Yeah, the dodge cracks me up every time I see it. Proves just how badass Kiryu is since he barely flinches when it happens!

IrishNinja

so after thoroughly beating Zelda, i'm at the tail end of P5...hoping to do some Nier and maybe squeeze in RE7 if possible? but once Kiwami drops, all bets are off. it's been forever since i played part 1, so this is gonna be great!

can't believe they nailed that pricepoint, and with that nice steelbook too. i hope yakuza-GAF gives this one a solid push as well!

Jimrpg

so after thoroughly beating Zelda, i'm at the tail end of P5...hoping to do some Nier and maybe squeeze in RE7 if possible? but once Kiwami drops, all bets are off. it's been forever since i played part 1, so this is gonna be great!

can't believe they nailed that pricepoint, and with that nice steelbook too. i hope yakuza-GAF gives this one a solid push as well!

Yakuza-GAF is ready ;)

Im playing Nioh and its taking me twice/three times as long as everybody else.... 45 hours in and only halfway through, im really hoping it doesn't take 90 hours to finish the game. I'm pretty sure I won't finish Zelda either before Yakuza Kiwami at this rate. Zelda is what like 50-70 hours... Jesus.

IrishNinja

depending on how much else you wanna do, yeah...i got nearly 100 hours into it myself but you could do just the main quest in like half that i wanna say? wouldn't be nearly as fun though

Jimrpg

depending on how much else you wanna do, yeah...i got nearly 100 hours into it myself but you could do just the main quest in like half that i wanna say? wouldn't be nearly as fun though

I love long games (not too long though) like around 30-40 hours, but anything over that just drags it out over a number of months meaning I can't really play anything else. I can only put a maximum of 10 hours per week into gaming.

I'm still plodding through Persona 5 myself. 50 or so hours in and I think I'm about halfway through the game? Loving it though, I love the different prefectures you get to "explore" (even if the areas are fairly small).

Only 1 week left for new Yakuza news :) Absolutely can't wait to see what gets announced!

Jimrpg

I'm still plodding through Persona 5 myself. 50 or so hours in and I think I'm about halfway through the game? Loving it though, I love the different prefectures you get to "explore" (even if the areas are fairly small).

Only 1 week left for new Yakuza news :) Absolutely can't wait to see what gets announced!

LOL... yep after Zelda, for me 100 hours of Persona 4, then 5... LOL

Is the news definitely on a Yakuza game or just whatever the Yakuza team is working on? It kind of makes sense now that they do it around E3 but just before so it doesn't get buried amongst everything else.

LOL... yep after Zelda, for me 100 hours of Persona 4, then 5... LOL

Is the news definitely on a Yakuza game or just whatever the Yakuza team is working on? It kind of makes sense now that they do it around E3 but just before so it doesn't get buried amongst everything else.

Yeah, I've still got Zelda to finish, and whatever I'm playing on my Vita at the moment!

As for Yakuza news, yep seems to be Yakuza related:
http://yakuzafan.com/info-next-yakuza-game-coming-may-30th/

Specifically mentioned that its info on a Yakuza game, and not just whatever the Yakuza team is working on next.

I'm not even halfway through P5 and already at 112 hours. And Tekken 7 and Wipeout Omega come out in a few days. And I still have so much left to do in Y0 Platinum. Ugh.

Having played Y0 before P5 really makes P5 feel like a big downgrade in terms of city exploration though. P5 is really paper thin by comparison, not even counting the sidestories, but just actually walking around Tokyo. I also miss not having a freelook camera in P5.

Mikhal

All this Persona 5 talk in this thread. Anyone notice Yakuza reference in Shinjuku?

The theater plays "Like a Dragon" and if you watched it alone the plot was similar to the first Yakuza.

IrishNinja

All this Persona 5 talk in this thread. Anyone notice Yakuza reference in Shinjuku?

The theater plays "Like a Dragon" and if you watched it alone the plot was similar to the first Yakuza.

haha yeah, that was fantastic & totally out of nowhere too - good to know the team are also fans!

Aki-at

And this is what sealed the deal for mewith
Makoto when she called up and asked me to watch the film with her, how could I turn her down after that? :p

IrishNinja

And this is what sealed the deal for mewith
Makoto when she called up and asked me to watch the film with her, how could I turn her down after that? :p

exactly! you know Chie would've been down too, haha
Makoto is totally my sidepiece after shogi girl though

Desmond

Why can't baseball be as easy in 0 as it is in 6?

Slowly working through the baseball substories, then I have the Clan Creator grind and
the Amon
fight to platinum the game. Will be my first RGG platinum.

Desmond

6 can't be nearly as easy as it was in 5 with my dude when you get his stats all the way up though!

Not as easy as Shinada of course! But the mechanics are the exact same. It's changed for the better. The same can't be said about what they've done to the darts in the game.

Not as easy as Shinada of course! But the mechanics are the exact same. It's changed for the better. The same can't be said about what they've done to the darts in the game.

Yeah, not quite sure what they were thinking with Darts. Its borderline impossible to lose now, getting 180's is hilariously easy.
I miss the old controls, they took a little getting used to, and in later games you really did need to get/customise better darts to win the harder stuff but I found it incredibly fun and satisfying. Well, bar hidden cricket that is, that can fuck right off.

IrishNinja

that's crazy, going for some of the madness that was Yak 3's requirements the other year got me to get really good at bullseys...so much so that on expert or whatever mode, i get housed cause the CPU always nails trip 20's and i can't hang. how the fuck do i nail hat tricks and still lose!?

For me it took 146 hours to beat Persona 5. Even though I liked it, I had a lot of problems with it.

that's crazy, going for some of the madness that was Yak 3's requirements the other year got me to get really good at bullseys...so much so that on expert or whatever mode, i get housed cause the CPU always nails trip 20's and i can't hang. how the fuck do i nail hat tricks and still lose!?

Ah yes, I know that feeling. But when I found that sweet spot for darts I defeated every AI opponent in the game. Still beats Pool, Answer X Answer and the Yakuza 3 Batting Cage that's for sure!

Mikhal

goddamn! was that platting/new game plus or just finishing? i thought i was dragging ass, im at nearly 120 in the last dungeon or so

I'm worse. I'm at 140 hours on first play through and I'm still in November.
About to send the calling card for the casino dungeon
No idea how much I have left. I spend way too much time fusing personas to fill my compendium.

Jimrpg

For me it took 146 hours to beat Persona 5. Even though I liked it, I had a lot of problems with it.

I've only played about 20 hours of Persona 4 but i find that game is very drawn out for what it is, especially with the multiple floor similar looking type dungeons. I know they are gone in Persona 5 with actual designed dungeons but still I always thought they were quite bloated for what they were. I always thought this was a series that was not for everyone yet they always sell great. Ultimately I'll play through Persona 4 on the Vita (i've had it since launch LOL), and then see how much I like it.

deadfolk

Persona 4 is one of my favourite games of all time, but I'm struggling to get into 5. I'm just not really feeling it so far.

I wonder if it's just the kind of game I'd prefer to be playing on a handheld.

I've only played about 20 hours of Persona 4 but i find that game is very drawn out for what it is, especially with the multiple floor similar looking type dungeons. I know they are gone in Persona 5 with actual designed dungeons but still I always thought they were quite bloated for what they were. I always thought this was a series that was not for everyone yet they always sell great. Ultimately I'll play through Persona 4 on the Vita (i've had it since launch LOL), and then see how much I like it.
If you thought Persona 4 was bloated then man, do not go anywhere near Persona 5. I loved Persona 4 and wanted it to last longer, but with Persona 5 I couldn't wait to be done with it. That game is very bloated.

Persona 4 is one of my favourite games of all time, but I'm struggling to get into 5. I'm just not really feeling it so far.
I felt the same way. For me, I didn't enjoy the episodic like nature of it, which reminded me of crime dramas on TV.

Persona 4 worth playing on a PS2 emulator? Have a PS2 copy given to me by a friend (it's the same I way I first played Yakuza 1 and 2) and always meant to get into it.

Someone in Off-topic mentioned that it's a lot like JoJo's part 4 and that alone has me interested. Gonna have some time during the summer and I'm planning on finishing at least 2 story heavy games in that time frame.

Persona 4 worth playing on a PS2 emulator? Have a PS2 copy given to me by a friend (it's the same I way I first played Yakuza 1 and 2) and always meant to get into it.

Someone in Off-topic mentioned that it's a lot like JoJo's part 4 and that alone has me interested. Gonna have some time during the summer and I'm planning on finishing at least 2 story heavy games in that time frame.
Absolutely. If it runs well on the emulator then give it a shot. It's a very good game.

deadfolk

Only played Persona 4 Golden on Vita, but it's such a good game I would recommend it however you need to do it.

holysan

Guys I finished 4 and got to ch. 3 in the fifth but I never bothered with the substories. Currently playing Zero and already did 40 and the quests are one of the best and funniest I've ever seen in JRPGs. I regret so much rushing through the previous games. Shit.

Top Bottom