• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well do you think Mass Effect: Andromeda will sell?

I wouldn't bet on that Meta, from the couple people I've talked to reviewing the game, their opinion rose greatly after the trial area part of the story, like, exponentially.

Maybe the trial wasn't the best idea, piecemeal delivery of a RPG isn't the one IMO.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Get out of the Hinterlands

RulkezX

No idea, I just hope it sells enough that this isn't the last we see of the franchise.

Obvious face animation issues aside , I really enjoyed the trial and it felt just like I'd expect ME to feel.

kyser73

What's EA's estimate?

Probably around whatever that is. They might be hated as a factory line of mediocrity but they know their business.

It will do just fine during the release window. Initial performance really depends on marketing which Andromeda has. Whether or not it has legs depends on how damage control goes.

EGM1966

I'd guess around same as ME3 or maybe a tad under if WoM erodes it's legs and they don't patch issues fast enough.

I don't see it blowing up larger and making the franchise bigger (I got impression from early EA PR this was a hope) as it's looks like too much of the same with glitches to attract beyond those already into the franchise.

If reviews aren't kind and it's really glitchy a'la Unity then I could see if selling less than ME3 and putting a dent in franchise strength.

WaterAstro

Yeah, it will sell. Mainstream Franchise that diehards will get it no matter what.
Everyone wants the hot items no matter how good or bad it is.

nOoblet16

Some crystal ball fun time, how well do you think MEA will sell? Myself I'm guessing launch sales bigger than DAI but overall be a mild internal disappointment, maybe around half of Witcher 3. I really don't remember which game had so much apathy and antipathy built up before launch, this all seems unprecedented.

Things going for it
Loyal ME fanbase
Unique setting and subgenre combination that no games match
Carry-forward goodwill from ME3: Multiplayer
Something for Xbox One action RPG fans

Things against
Lukewarm to negative reception from core gamers to marketing materials
Animation fiasco surpassed ACU meme levels
RPG fan antipathy to Bioware (especially from RPG Codex)
General core gamer antipathy to EA and Origin
Serious genre fatigue
Insanely strong competition from Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Torment, etc
Massive overhang from ME3 ending disappointment
I can assure you sales wise ME is getting zero competition from those two.

It is going to sell well at launch through hype.

Critical reception will be Luke warm and disappointing, lots of 7s and 8s.

Not a bad game, just not a great one is my prediction.

Jawmuncher

It'll still do a million +. But it won't be to the tune of what EA wants out of the franchise, so much like Dead Space 3 before it. This will be the last game we ever see of the series.

ArmGunar

It'll still do a million +. But it won't be to the tune of what EA wants out of the franchise, so much like Dead Space 3 before it. This will be the last game we ever see of the series.

According to the reviews, the game didn't answer all the questions ... so if there won't be another one, I would be disappointed

KORNdoggy

i'd hope it didn't sell very well just on principle

reality is mediocre games have had no issues selling well in the past and i doubt ME: andromeda will be any different.

Wollan

It will compete with #1 March NPD spot with Ghost Recon, likely it will end up as #2. Mass Effect franchise has a very nice pedigree.

Yeah I'm agreeing with them. Ghost Recon selling well it seems despite being a turd.

Is this actually true?

Genuinely curious as I haven't seen anything other than that first article about it being number 1 in the UK.

It's surprising, as I think the OT is ~25 pages, so if a lot of people are buying it, it seems no one is really talking about it.

I wasn't personally interested in it a ton either, so maybe it's just me not aware of its popularity.

adversarial

I don't see a world where Mass Effect doesn't sell well. Regardless of the world-is-ending rhetoric coming from a few forums.

Is this actually true?

Genuinely curious as I haven't seen anything other than that first article about it being number 1 in the UK.

It's surprising, as I think the OT is ~25 pages, so if a lot of people are buying it, it seems no one is really talking about it.

I wasn't personally interested in it a ton either, so maybe it's just me not aware of its popularity.

Best selling launch week in UK beating Horizon and Zelda.

nynt9

Is this actually true?

GAF doesn't necessarily represent the mass audience. Military shooters and Ubisoft open world games are a lot more popular among the public than they are here.

Kill3r7

Is this actually true?

Yes. It will easily end up being the best selling game this year until the fall. I don't think ME will be able to generate enough buzz to beat it. Positive reviews and WOM would have helped with legs.

Best selling launch week in UK beating Horizon and Zelda.

Yes. It will easily end up being the best selling game this year until the fall. I don't think ME will be able to generate enough buzz to beat it. Positive reviews and WOM would have helped with legs.

Interesting. Horizon isn't surprising. I had no idea how good that game was going to be until i played it myself (so hopefully it has long legs).

Zelda is surprising, i guess, although I suppose switch availability had a lot to do with that?

I'm now super eager to see what March NPDs look like.

Top Bottom