• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek is in crysis

Depends on your standards but they were pretty bad, ok-ish tech demos though.

I can't agree. Crysis was fucking amazing. Just watch the Nanosuit Ninja videos on YouTube for a look at how dynamic fights can be thanks to the physics and AI interacting with each other. Crysis 2 was such a step backwards compared to the first game.

I got a feeling they sadly won't make it to the end of the generation.
Assuming this does occur what companies do you see picking up Crytek's Cryengine and their IPs.

Crytek currently owns:
The CryEngine & 6 Game Studios
IPs:
Fibble - Flick 'N' Roll (Mobile game)
Warface
Ryse: Son of Rome
The Collectables (Mobile Game)
Arena of Fate
The Climb* (Not sure if Oculus owns the IP)
Robinson: The Journey
Hunt: The Horrors of the Gilded Age

Personally I think Deep Silver or THQ Nordic would pick up these if they go bankrupt.

LewieP

Assuming this does occur what companies do you see picking up Crytek's Cryengine and their IPs.

Crytek currently owns:
IPs:
Warface
Arena of Fate

Personally I think Deep Silver or THQ Nordic would pick up these if they go bankrupt.

Also Timesplitters.

Both Far Cry and Crysis 1/Warhead are tour de force in FPS design and gameplay. Its getting annoying after so many years that this tech demo misconception still endures. Far Cry was a landmark FPS on PC, a proper computer, mouse and keyboard designed game, that took advantage of everything at its disposal. The first next gen big FPS, ahead of fan favourites Doom 3 and Half Life 2. Visceral, hardcore shooter gameplay that stood out among the mellow competitors. Extremely good AI, huge levels that favoured player agency and experimentation, multiple ways of transportation.

And Crysis took all this up a notch. They both stand at the peak of the genre.

LewieP

I think part of the reason Crysis has that reputation is that you can just play it as a standard pretty fps.

If you opt to play it creatively, using the sandbox to express yourself through your playstyle, it will support it, but it will also just let you play it like lots of other FPSs.

So it's pretty easy to play it, see that it's got lots of graphics, and not actually see how well designed and flexible it is.

Damn, Arena of Fate was the one MOBA that I had been looking forward to in the future. But, it has been in development for years now, and was probably never going to see the light of day. Now it definitely won't.

I think part of the reason Crysis has that reputation is that you can just play it as a standard pretty fps.

If you opt to play it creatively, using the sandbox to express yourself through your playstyle, it will support it, but it will also just let you play it like lots of other FPSs.

So it's pretty easy to play it, see that it's got lots of graphics, and not actually see how well designed and flexible it is.

Funnily enough, I think whoever was in charge of Crysis 2 and 3 went exactly through this process.

xrnzaaas

They're on life support for a quite a while now. By the way I'm not sure if focusing on releasing 2 VR games was the best way to go in their situation.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The worst part of these news is that Crytek UK aka the Free Radical guys will go under with Crytek and that means two things for me. The chance of a new TimeSplitters game becomes nearly impossible and development on TimeSplitters Rewind might completely cease depending on who buys the TimeSplitters license (assuming somebody buys it) and what the new license holder feels like doing with the license.

They're on life support for a quite a while now. By the way I'm not sure if focusing on releasing 2 VR games was the best way to go in their situation.

Even if they get more funding soon in order to stave off bankruptcy, it's only a matter of time before this happens again. The sword of Damocles is dangling over them, and it's a case of when, not if.

The worst part of these news is that Crytek UK aka the Free Radical guys will go under with Crytek and that means two things for me. The chance of a new TimeSplitters game becomes nearly impossible and development on TimeSplitters Rewind might completely cease depending on who buys the TimeSplitters license (assuming somebody buys it) and what the new license holder feels like doing with the license.

Free Radical aka Crytek UK were sold to Deep Silver in mid 2014 and became Dambuster Studios, although I believe Timesplitters still lies with Crytek.

And yet they still refuse to release a TimeSplitters HD remaster. I just want Those games playable on anything newer than an Xbox/PS2/GCN, damnit.

People beg for that and they'd buy it, but nope.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Free Radical aka Crytek UK were sold to Deep Silver in mid 2014 and became Dambuster Studios, although I believe Timesplitters still lies with Crytek.
Really? I haven't checked up on them in years I assumed they were still with Crytek. The good news is that the Team switch ships before the sank down with Crytek but the only bad news now is that TimeSplitters Rewind is the only one at risk of getting unplugged and considering that nobody else is working on a new TimeSplitters games I would hate to see that happen.

Deep Silver was more than happy to buy a few licenses when THQ went under so if Crytek goes under the best case scenario at this point would be for Deep Silver to buy the TimeSplitters license from them and have Dambuster Studios work on a new TimeSplitters entry or they could sleep on the license meanwhile TimeSplitters Rewind continuous to get worked on.

Damn, Arena of Fate was the one MOBA that I had been looking forward to in the future. But, it has been in development for years now, and was probably never going to see the light of day. Now it definitely won't.

I was in closed Beta and they also had an open event. You had plenty of chances to experience a mediocre Moba. Dawngate and Infinite Crisis were better.

tuxfool

Banned

Take away the graphics and there aren't any other games like them in their respective times. This insistence that they were merely tech demos is ridiculous.

v1oz

I have no qualms at calling this utter bullshit. Please refrain from engaging in console war nonsense.

Well... the stories were garbage, but the games were fantastic.
Nonsense. What console war?

Dead wrong. For their times, both those games played great. Especially Crysis, which still holds up today.
I disagree. I once did go back to play it and the next game, Warhead. I never finished, the original in particular, is not compelling enough to slog through given the subpar ice levels and the copy & pasted several times over alien battle. Anyway I do remember that the gameplay in the second half of the game gets really generic and has the most uninspired final boss. To be honest even when these games came out, I never actually heard anyone talk about this game in terms of actual gameplay - it was always about the graphics and how much of a showcase the game was. I truly believe the graphics were clouding people's judgement overall.

Crysis 2 was more generic nonsense. And then I never bothered with Crysis 3, I was done with the series by then.

v1oz

Crytek currently owns:
IPs:
Warface
Arena of Fate

It would be nice if they open sourced their engine. If they do go out of business. Just imagine if Cry Engine had a large community (like Blender does) to make the editor much more user friendly and easy to use for everyone.

tuxfool

Banned
I truly believe the graphics were clouding people's judgement overall.

Well, you believe wrong, and doesn't seem rooted in reality. Because you don't see what is good about the game, you feel comfortable making declarative judgements for other people.

FuturusX

lover wages? maybe they're too high? just guessing, how much do this people make a month? 3000/4000/5000€ or more?

CRYTEK = CRYSIS

see the irony here?

They don't have enough cash to pay employees full stop, so yeah, they lowered payroll to zero. They need an influx of cash fast, owners should sell to the highest bidder to save the employees whom have served them so well. Instead they'll hold out...I am sure.. than sell at a massive loss.

After what Crysis turned into with Crysis 2, I can't say I'll miss Crytek too much. Also the total lack of TimeSplitters.

Understood, but with the winter holidays coming etc, working people will suffer, quibbles with game design choices pale in comparison. I hope Crytek make it..for the sake of the employees and their families.

Mr. Tibbs

Kotaku: Ex-Crytek Artist Looks To Sue Over Unpaid Salary

Ludvig Lindqvist, an FX artist who worked at Crytek’s main studio in Frankfurt, Germany, launched a GoFundMe campaign today in hopes of paying his legal fees against the studio. Crytek, he says, has not paid him in two months. He quit on December 8.

“Crytek has failed to pay salaries on time starting May 2016,” Lindqvist writes. “Ever since May this year, salaries have been delayed. Today as I’m creating this GoFundMe campaign, 14th December 2016, it was 58 days since Crytek paid me my September salary. Two whole months have failed to make it to my account. The last salary I got was one month late.”

netBuff

That graph is pretty telling

Dnq0aR9.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Didn't this happen before?

I want to say Crytek had another time where they weren't paying employees

I imagine Amazon would buy CryEngine since they've already invested pretty heavily in it for their own projects, assuming they're still serious about developing games.

Kayhan

1. Cancel everything and close every place that isn't the main Frankfurt office.

2. Announce a new Crysis game that will be a return to the gameplay of the first. But bigger.

3. ???

4. Prophet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine Amazon would buy CryEngine since they've already invested pretty heavily in it for their own projects, assuming they're still serious about developing games.

They already did. That's why Lumberyard exists, since they completely own the engine.

That purchase was actually what bailed Crytek out the first time.

They don't have enough cash to pay employees full stop, so yeah, they lowered payroll to zero. They need an influx of cash fast, owners should sell to the highest bidder to save the employees whom have served them so well. Instead they'll hold out...I am sure.. than sell at a massive loss.

Again though, I'm not sure who would buy them at this point. If they wait 2-3 months the entire company would probably go under and then they could set up their own studio in Frankfurt and hire a bunch of ex-Crytek people. That's what I would do. I still think Crysis + a portion of the development studio would be a good investment for a big publisher who doesn't have a current successful FPS IP, like Sony or Take Two.

Understood, but with the winter holidays coming etc, working people will suffer, quibbles with game design choices pale in comparison. I hope Crytek make it..for the sake of the employees and their families.

Yeah, the Yerli brothers are fucking idiots at this point. After the Amazon bailout they should have closed down like 70% of their studios and just kept the core business running; enough to keep a game or two in development and support CryEngine.

What exactly am I looking at here? I recognize Cevat Yerli, but I'm lost beyond that.

Seems like he won a national award and the president of Turkey is doing the honors. The joke made by the poster being: "birds of a feather flock together" with the implication that Yerli must be dishonest to appear with Erdogan, who is an unpopular politician to many people for a number of things.

DrZeus

Sad state of affairs. I would still love to play through definitive release of the crysis series this gen on consoles. All optimized and such.

They already did. That's why Lumberyard exists, since they completely own the engine.

That purchase was actually what bailed Crytek out the first time.

Oh I thought they had just purchased a licensing deal, didn't realize they bought the engine outright.

Crytek is the company that made Timesplitters?

Timesplitters 2 is the greatest fps I've ever played.

Man I'd love a new game in that series.

Crytek is the company that made Timesplitters?

Timesplitters 2 is the greatest fps I've ever played.

Man I'd love a new game in that series.
Err, correct me if I'm wrong but no. Crytek acquired the rights to Free Radical's catalog back in the day, and Free Radical was composed of former Rare devs I think? Someone on here knows, I'm sure.

And yeah, Timesplitters 2 was the perfection of fun. We all miss Timesplitters and its pesky apes.

1. Cancel everything and close every place that isn't the main Frankfurt office.

2. Announce a new Crysis game that will be a return to the gameplay of the first. But bigger.

3. ???

4. Prophet.

Nomada what they do, they're still going to have problems. They wold have to be run by a Psycho to keep going.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why a Gofundme to pay for suing Crytek? In Germany you get free legal representation if you can't afford it...

I suspect this is less about actually getting money to sue Crytek, and more a way to just publicly announce Crytek is not paying employees.

I can't imagine they have a sane expectation of reaching 20,000 Euros.

Patrick S.

Banned
I suspect this is less about actually getting money to sue Crytek, and more a way to just publicly announce Crytek is not paying employees.

I can't imagine they have a sane expectation of reaching 20,000 Euros.

Hmmm, but couldn't they handle this with a little more... grace?

On the other hand, a few weeks before the company who owed me several months of wages went belly up, an employee from another of that chain's hotels went to the media (RTL TV Punkt 12 and a local newspaper) and denounced that several people had lost their homes already and had nothing to eat, the article was gone from the paper's website in a matter of days, maybe the hotel's lawyer threatened to sue them for defamation or something?

Top Bottom