• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well do you think Mass Effect: Andromeda will sell?

Akoi

Not sure if I should get this on Xbox or Playstation.. I have a ps4 pro and Xbox one s... I like the idea of keeping it on Xbox because I own the original trilogy on Xbox. But it will probably run better and look better on my Ps4 pro..

Not sure if I should get this on Xbox or Playstation.. I have a ps4 pro and Xbox one s... I like the idea of keeping it on Xbox because I own the original trilogy on Xbox. But it will probably run better and look better on my Ps4 pro..

If you like the MP buy it fot the plaform your friends are on. Otherwise it should be an easy choice.

Serra

More than such a generic game deserves, am I right guys?

Ba dum dss

Seriously, it will do pretty big numbers. It has the back of the box feature list that appeals to the normal, not enthusiast gamer. Its ME so series fanatics will love it apart from the ones who bailed after ME3 (like me). Bioware so people who love video game romances will love it.

It will get overall good reviews because again it ticks all the checkboxes. RPG specific sites will slam it and the odd reviewer (Jim Sterling) will laugh at its hollow choices but sites like IGN, Gamespot will still give it scores in the low nines.

I'm saying 75 meta max....sell numbers will not be great nor bad....middle.

EA should just release ME Trilogy Remastered PS4/X1, would sell better.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm saying 75 meta max....sell numbers will not be great nor bad....middle.

EA should just release ME Trilogy Remastered PS4/X1, would sell better.

I wouldn't bet on that Meta, from the couple people I've talked to reviewing the game, their opinion rose greatly after the trial area part of the story, like, exponentially.

Maybe the trial wasn't the best idea, piecemeal delivery of a RPG isn't the one IMO.

My guess is this will sell like hotcakes, it's a Space RPG, however bad you think the trial PR is, the fact is there aren't many Space-based RPGs around: and this carries the Mass Effect name.

Personally, I think it's great: going to crank a smurf Origin account to play another 10 hours before release too: never done that before lol.

Babyshams

I always get conflicted on things like this.

I like some of the changes they've made, and I don't want poor sales to send a message to EA that people don't care about Mass Effect.

But the graphical downgrade, animation bugs, barebones character creation, terrible squad AI that stuff should not be rewarded with box office breaking sales.

I hope it sells well but maybe low enough to send a message that better quality would have sold more.

A-V-B

Not terrible, not super great? It'll probably meet expectations sales-wise, and hit discounts reasonably fast.

Floody

Originally I expected it to sell extremely well, but didn't expect Pewdiepie to make a video shitting on it or the extremely negative reaction it's getting from a lot of different places, so now I'm not too sure, I still think it'll sell well, but unless reviews are glowing I can see it underperforming long term.

kitzkozan

Now that we know how Horizon is tracking, I think Mass Effect will still sell very well. There's a lot of controversy surrounding it, moreso than any game released this year just because of the animation roasting lol. I think it's going to outsell Ghost Recon as it will review better since it will have a lengthy single player campaign, and it seems plenty of people are already playing the multiplayer. It will come out slightly ahead of Ghost Recon for the #1 spot overall, selling 2 + million copies by the end of the month. If Horizon sold through 2.6 million in 2 weeks, Mass Effect has got to surpass that (at least in NA).

Just so you know, EA was and still is expecting ~3 million sold in the first week.

Zukkoyaki

3-5 million

Mass Effect is a big IP but it isn't particularly huge either. Honestly I don't believe any Bioware game has done gangbusters.

kitzkozan

The Mass Effect series has never been a huge seller. It's done well but not giant numbers. I'd say 5 million for this. That's 1.5 million more than ME3.

Mass Effect 3 sold 6 million copies by the way:
Mass Effect was a huge franchise half a decade ago, but it still remains to be seen if it secured enough lasting power to survive five years of absence. EA is expecting pretty big numbers out of the upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda, ballparking it at roughly 3 million copies worldwide at launch.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen put the number out during the company’s Q3 earnings call. The game is also set to launch several days before the end of the financial quarter, and Jorgensen stated that we can expect roughly 30 to 50 percent of its lifetime sales to fall within these first few days.

Afterward, the remaining sales are expected to match the launch, and if the 50 percent holds up to EA’s estimates, it should sell roughly 6 million in total. This is the same number of copies that Mass Effect 3 sold over its lifetime, starting in 2012.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Unbelievably well, I'd be surprised if not. This is a franchise that has a lot of insanely diehard fans. And FFXV taught us all what that is worth. I can easily see most myself included(although it would take a loooot) seeing past the jankiness.

Unbelievably well, I'd be surprised if not. This is a franchise that has a lot of insanely diehard fans. And FFXV taught us all what that is worth. I can easily see most myself included(although it would take a loooot) seeing past the jankiness.

I mean, FFXV taught us what a mainstream marketing blitz can do for a game

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh I'm sure more hardcore sites like RPG Codex and GAF will absolutely loathe Andromeda, but I think it'll sell 6-7 million units easily. Casuals don' care about how much of an RPG the game is or how good the writing is. They care that it's a new Mass Effect game.

It could end up with a full 20 fewer points on Metacritic than either Horizon or Zelda and it'll still sell more than both of them put together.

You're severely overestimating the strength of the Mass Effect brand. The best selling Mass Effect sold 6 million. Horizon alone could pass that by the end of this year alone.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
Millions of people will buy this, it's crazy to believe otherwise. The game has a very strong brand name, most of my casual gamer friends/work colleagues know and love the series.

Also none of them are tedious nerdlingers like me who read gaming forums daily and catch all the latest hilarious animation glitches or whatever, so they don't know/care about any of that.

R&R

Didnt Dragon Age: Inquisition sell pretty average, I remember it not really settings the charts on fire. On the other hand I do also remember EA and Bioware saying that they were satisfied with the sales.

I expect Mass Effect Andromeda to sell slightly better then DA:I, but also not to be a huge success.

Pewdiepie posted an extremely negative video on Andromeda not even a day ago that already has 1.7 million clicks. He is the most subscribed youtube channel afair.
That alone will have a very negative impact on Day 1 and first few week sales, the time period that matters the most for AAA releases.
By the looks of it and the feedback we had from several gaming outlets so far, the metascore won't be that great either, especially not compared to the original trilogy, which will have a minor sales impact as well.

Didnt Dragon Age: Inquisition sell pretty average, I remember it not really settings the charts on fire. On the other hand I do also remember EA and Bioware saying that they were satisfied with the sales.

I expect Mass Effect Andromeda to sell slightly better then DA:I, but also not to be a huge success.

I think EA said that DAI was the most successful game in the series so far, but no concrete numbers were given. I think Dragon Age is well below Mass Effect in popularity though.

Lol.

This is not even gonna sell 2M . At least not until heavy discounts / revamp patches dlc.

How are things going in that timeline? You guys achieve world peace yet?
It's going to sell like hot cakes. It releases in just enough time from people to finish Horizon even. A few days ago they sold $5 digital keys to the trilogy for PS3 on amazon and I grabbed one because I've never played the series, but I have quite a few friends who are completely hyped for ME:A and they pushed me into it.

I feel like there's this idea that you can only do COD/GTA/Uncharted numbers to be a successful entry in a AAA series (hence all of the hand wringing over FFXV sales when they were right on target.) But that's not true. It'll do 1.5 million in the first week and grow exponentially over it's life. Especially as one of those games you kind of just expect to have a price drop in a couple of months, which is when I plan on picking it up.

This is gong to be one of those cases where people don't trust the critics simply because they don't want to believe it'll be a bad game. If it is, then that's that, but it's going to sell regardless.

120v

for a current gen mass effect the hype seems pretty subdued. and it has been for awhile, even before impressions started coming out

for a current gen mass effect the hype seems pretty subdued. and it has been for awhile, even before impressions started coming out

I've been hearing this about almost every new game."People just don't seem excited for Horizon" "No one cares about Ghost Recon" "Do people even know Watch Dogs 2 exists?"

What games ARE people openly hyped about? Besides Zelda, which had the marketing of a new console to piggyback on, I feel like publishers are getting really good at speaking directly to their customers and potential customers via social media and tie ins, and the big media blitz hype machine doesn't really exist the same way anymore

120v

I've been hearing this about almost every new game."People just don't seem excited for Horizon" "No one cares about Ghost Recon" "Do people even know Watch Dogs 2 exists?"

What games ARE people openly hyped about? Besides Zelda, which had the marketing of a new console to piggyback on, I feel like publishers are getting really good at speaking directly to their customers and potential customers via social media and tie ins, and the big media blitz hype machine doesn't really exist the same way anymore

i agree things are different now... you don't need Times Square spreads or having jimmy fallon playing your game anymore

as for the influx of "where the hype for ___?" sentiments, we're in the most cluttered release window in recent history, going back to last november. but mass effect in particular seems like it'd be a bigger deal... arguably the biggest western rpg behind elder scrolls. but i'm just being anecdotal, so who knows.

A-V-B

i agree things are different now... you don't need Times Square spreads or having jimmy fallon playing your game anymore

as for the influx of "where the hype for ___?" sentiments, we're in the most cluttered release window in recent history, going back to last november. but mass effect in particular seems like it'd be a bigger deal... arguably the biggest western rpg behind elder scrolls. but i'm just being anecdotal, so who knows.

It might still be pretty big, but marketing has been strangely handled, and word of mouth is not great before release. So it won't be ME3 big because expectations are nowhere near that high. Hype for the series was absurd in the ME2-ME3 interim. It approached Gears of War. I remember ME3 having superbowl commercials or something.

People are still interested now. It's just different.

Staf

I had it pegged for about 6-8 million a week ago. But now... i have no idea. I get serious Deus ex: MD (RIP) vibes from this release.

How about we bet ?

No thanks, but you are vastly underestimating the appeal of the franchise. Even if the game has no legs there is a large group of fans on all three platforms that have been waiting for the next installment in this series for a long time and will buy it regardless of any internet negativity over the animations.

I'm guessing just under ME3. So about 4 million or so. People really over estimate how big the franchise is. It's actually quite a niche, hardcore title in the grand scheme of things, and thus has a lot of competition amongst the hardcore crowd who are also put off a lot by Biowares last two games. We'll see though, I plan on picking it up anyway since I liked ME3 and find DA:I to be... Alright I suppose.

Fbh

Unless the reviews turn out to be overwhelmingly average/negativ I see it selling pretty well .

I'd a known and pretty beloved franchise.

SZips

I'm not about to guess as to how much it will sell. I suck at that.

I do hope it sells well though. I have high hopes that BioWare will address many of the biggest complaints with the game in some post-release patches.

I've personally quite enjoyed my time with the pre-release trial and can't wait to play more. This goes for both the SP and the MP.

neoglow

Banned
It'll sell pretty good but not amazing.

It's had some recent bad press related mainly to the bad animations and other glitches. There's no denying the overall quality of the character designs and mo-cap is quite poor which may of sealed the games fate before it's even released considering 90% of the game is character interaction and story telling. It's quite hard to became engrossed when you have wooden puppets and wooden voice acting making the game look quite ametaur or janky. Just play Horizon for a comparison.

I predict a meta in the high 70's.

Needed longer in the oven.

Even amidst all the criticism pre-release, I think it will at the very least match ME3 numbers.

The main reason:

There are no other AAA multi platform sci-fi RPGs. It's pretty much Fallout and Mass Effect. Fallout was 2015, Mass Effect will be 2017, Fallout 5 will likely be 2019 and hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will be released sometime in that time frame to break the duopoly.

I'll probably still buy this game despite having a bad taste in my mouth from ME3 once the price falls. I love the RPG genre but paradoxically, cannot stand anymore fantasy settings. I'm starving for a space opera-ish RPG right now.

Top Bottom