• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year later and Telltale's Batman is still a broken mess on PS4

So let me start this off saying how disappointing this is. I've only played through Episode 1 so far and I'm actually really digging the story. It's a very unique take on the characters and even in the first episode there's been lots of surprises with how they are taking the narrative. I'm really into it.

But holy hell, how does Telltale think it's ok to release their titles in this state? This first episode came out nearly a year ago and yet I've had the game freeze and lock up 2x on me already. Not to mention the frame rate is still all over the place and any time I click to see my decisions on the main menu the game just goes to an endless looping screen I can't back out of and instead have to close the game and restart it just to get back to the main title screen.

This is crazy to me a company as well known as Telltale and working with the licenses they do can just release broken products. Has their other recent output like Guardians of the Galaxy, Walking Dead S3, etc. been like this or is it unique to Batman?

DOWN

Banned
I mean, they are pretty desperate and make their games to sell to iPhone 5S users so it’s pretty clear their technical perspective is to sell trash for fast cash multiple times a year

jacobeid

Banned
PSA: stop buying games developed by Telltale. Don't encourage them to continue to do what they're doing. Vote with your wallet.

To answer OP's last question, all of their games are plagued with shitty performance, not just Batman.

Gator86

I almost broke when it was on sale the other day, but I held fast to my rule of never pay more than $10 for a Telltale game. They just don't give a shit. Working, literally broken, whatever - ship it.

It's a Telltale game. "Still a broken mess"? It was always going to be a broken mess and it was always going to remain one. Just like literally every game they will ever produce.

Not sure why you expected anything else. They don't care because their games down need to perform well to sell well.

Glix

I just played through GoT and it was very janky in certain spots but didn't run into in any technical issues.

I am currently playing through Tales from the Borderlands and it runs great.

Is it possible its a boost mode issue or something like that?

To answer OP's last question, all of their games are plagued with shitty performance, not just Batman.

Yeah I've played Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead S1. I had some issues with all of them to varying degrees but this so far has been the worst of the bunch for me. I haven't played Minecraft, the rest of Batman, Walking Dead S3, or Guardians yet though so I didn't know if things had somehow gotten worse with their latest releases

The later episodes do, mostly, run better than the first. Telltale don't seem to patch any mistakes, they just try to fix it for the next episode.

Try being the word.

Pandy

Welcome to Telltale. Selling technically shitty software since (pick a year).
I stopped buying their games mid-way through Monkey Island, although it was obvious they were terrible before then I just wanted Monkey Island so much I tried to ignore it.

The creative team mostly seems pretty good, it's the technical side that lets them down. I wish they would do some swaps with Guerilla, Ready at Dawn, or some other technically awesome studio that makes dull games, to create one fully great studio.

Batman was the worst game from a technical standpoint that Telltale has put out, no doubt, but most times I've played it it was playable. Whatever version of their engine they released it on was definitely older and different than TWD S3 which came out only a couple months later - the difference was huge.

Can we stop blaming the OP for Telltale's mess?

"You should have known better" and "what did you expect" are useless replies.

I got burned on this as well. Borderlands ran great on PS4 so how was I to know they'd go back to PS3 level performance with Batman?

Anyone who pays money for a game has a right to criticize it like this.

Turkoop

Banned
When it came out I had a lot issues with the game, even it was a great title. I wanted to start a second playthrough in the following days, they launched 3 or 4 patches for the game, we'll see if it runs better.

Mathrin

It was playable, but I've gotta say the stutters were semi-frequent to the point it forced me to miss some QTE's. It's pretty garbage though. That being said, I really enjoyed it as a whole despite some questionable creative liberties. I just hope they've updated the engine for the next season!

Kinyou

The technical state of the game is just pathetic. The low resolution and terrible framerate is simply not acceptable. It's extra weird because walking dead season 3 actually ran fine.

Wonder if the sequel will do better, but not getting my hopes up with telltale.

LiK

Hard crashed on me like 4 times and had some technical issues as well. Quite a shame since the story and characters are excellent. If I ever plan on replaying it, it'll be on PC.

Only the first episode is broken.

Nope, it hard crashed on me at least once in every episode except the first one. The worst was during a climatic battle during a QTE section. That pissed me off.

I want all of you to go play the 360 version. I did for the achievements and said "never again I'm doing a 360 telltale game"

and they were done - except Minecraft Story Mode season 2 is on there and I'm like NOOOOOOOOOO

Ok, there's lots of people that have and still do. Every game that has issues some people don't encounter them.
Theres also lots of people who don't have any issues with their games so getting defensive when someone says they didn't have issues is a bit hypocritical.

I have played every telltale game except the latest walking dead season, batman and guardians and I can count on one hand how many issues I have had in their games.

BiggNife

Telltale's philosophy of "drop support for a game as soon as it's done so we can immediately work on the next one" is something I really, really have never been a fan of and it feels like it keeps biting them in the ass because their reputation has gone down significantly as a result. I was kinda hoping they would alter their business structure with Bruner's departure, but considering how many projects they're working on at the moment it feels like nothing's changed at all.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Ok, there's lots of people that have and still do. Every game that has issues some people don't encounter them.

I think it's the other way around. Most freezes and such happen because of either bad RAM or bad sectors on the HDD. Especially when it runs fine for other people.

Theres also lots of people who don't have any issues with their games so getting defensive when someone says they didn't have issues is a bit hypocritical.

I have played every telltale game except the latest walking dead season, batman and guardians and I can count on one hand how many issues I have had in their games.

I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just saying some people will run into issues and some won't.

But it's pretty clear Telltale has a track record of a high amount of people running into problems. You wouldn't see the amount of backlash their games receive based on performance if most people were having no issues.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing it right now myself.

Episodes 1 and 3 ran fine on PS4 Pro. Episode 2 gave me a hard crash during the intro and otherwise fine. Really expected worse, its batting quite well so far with two episodes left.

KraytarJ

Ok this is really encouraging to hear as I'm really digging the story. So performance is a lot better in the later episodes then?
I only played them as they released but things just got worse for me. The peak was episode 2 with 2 crashes and visual bugs.

xrnzaaas

I didn't have any lock ups on the (basic) PS4 but the framerate has tanked a few times especially in the alleyway scene in one of the episodes. They really need to ditch their engine, because the game actually performed the worst when you were able to do something and not just when you were watching the cut-scene.

theRizzle

The PC version isn't great either. I'm currently playing it and coming fresh off the heels of TWD Season 3 (which ran great so hopefully they have fixed some of the issues) it feels pretty bad. I don't think my 6700k, 1070 and 32gb of RAM should be stuttering in this Interactive Comic.

I still really like their games, and have yet to encounter an issue I felt was a real problem (broken/corrupt save files, hard crashes, etc) but the performance issues are getting a little old.

linnu5

Not only on the PS4... The Xbox One version is also terrible. Full of crashes and slowdowns.

And if you don't know English, you're screwed. The Brazilian Portuguese subtitles are a mess, they're poor translated and there are many scenes that the subtitles don't even show up at all. The weird thing it's that this doesn't happen on other Telltale games, only on Batman.

It's horribly optimized even on PC, and I never had performance issues with any of the previous Telltale games I played on PC (TWAU, GoT, TftB).

Lifeline

I just played The New Frontier and one episode froze my entire PS4. Another episode had the main characters backpack texture turn into a pillar that follows him around. Also had a glitch where gray textures flash on the screen a bunch of times per second.

I thought since they announed the new season, they would've finished fixing the old one. I was completely wrong.

Are you surprised? They're advertising their Poker Night game in the Humble Bundle as Mac compatible when support was dropped for it back in 2014 and they said:

We have seen this issue arise on newer hardware, and unfortunately have not announced plans to update this particular game at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Yet they still sell it. Telltale really don't give a shit about this.

DJChuy

It crashed on me several times, not just in episode 1. I think I did the last fight like 3 times because it kept crashing lol. Also had problems with The Walking Dead season 1 in the later chapters.

I love Telltale games, but it's a shame how much of a mess some of them are. Telltale did say they wouldn't bother updating some games.

Played Walking Dead S1 and S2, Wolf Among Us, Tales From The Borderlands, all on PS4 without big problems. Batman was horrible, Assassin's Creed Unity faces in several episodes, game crashes, freezes, etc.

I've played every Telltale game on OG PS4.

Reminder that just because the game ran good on your system, it does excuse the horrible performance a game can get on other people's systems. It's the developer responsibility to ship a functioning product.

Gxgear

Telltale never got any backlash so there's no reason for them to change. The games review well and sell tons despite all the crippling flaws.

I had issues with items disappearing (like cell phones and the grapple gun). Also had an issue at the beginning of the second episode where a dialogue prompt was supposed to pop up but didn't leaving me stuck. It's crazy how Telltale insists on using their old crappy tech and then you see something like Until Dawn, which isn't perfect but is magnitudes better in production values.

Finished it on the Xbox with no real issues apart from the last episode where it was like watching a comic on my TV for about seven or eight minutes.

I have never seen a game with worse frame rate drops.

It's the main reason I haven't bought GotG yet.

theRizzle

Just started Episode 3, and in the scene where Batman is driving I am getting two seconds of gameplay followed by two seconds of freezing consistently. wheeeee

The last Telltale series I played on my Xbox One was Tales from the Borderlands. There were many slowdowns as the series progressed, and I don't even know how I managed to finish the final episode. It was quite literally a slideshow!

I'm not surprised their other games suffer from the same problems. They're not visually impressive either, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Top Bottom