• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

zlatko

Banned
I bought ODST last night. I got The Rookie starting section done. Was pleasantly surprised how difficult it was right out the gate on legendary...ammo really means something, and health pack usage makes you play much smarter.

I think it was the first Halo game where I actually killed a Grunt using a plasma pistol.

Looking forward to doing more tonight after work and class! :D

Zyos, at least, was pretty successful (at least on his own) for a couple of years into Halo 2. Darkman played on the Dream Team (membership actually varied, but included Shizznizz, StrangePurple, Zyos, I think even TSquared at one point) and won a couple of championships with 'em. I sort of remember his star fading after Walshy crushed him 1v1 on a national stage. :)
I see. Thanks!

TheOddOne

Actually, he and Miller both worked directly on it. It's not just a celebrity endorsement. In fact Fincher said one of the funniest things I have ever heard in my whole life while we hammered out a really, really anal canon detail, but I don't think I will ever be able to publicly repeat it.
You met Fincher? I am so ghelly right now.

Duji

Fincher has directed some of my favourite films. Se7en and Fight Club being two. Can't wait to see what he does with this trailer.

Shadders

Render-to-Waypoint-for-free feature it is.

I don't think that's so outlandish. The cost in Reach was the fact that you needed to send the data and then render it server side. If they're adding it for launch then you could do the render client side and just upload the video.

If it's uploaded to YouTube as opposed to Waypoint then they wouldn't even have to worry about the hosting cost of all those videos.

Beckx

I bought ODST last night. I got The Rookie starting section done. Was pleasantly surprised how difficult it was right out the gate on legendary...ammo really means something, and health pack usage makes you play much smarter.

I think it was the first Halo game where I actually killed a Grunt using a plasma pistol.

If you end up in a rush, the Tyrant legendary guides over at halo.bungie.org are amazing.

GhaleonEB

The decision not to include the BR is a great one. Carbines are like finding gold on Legendary.

You met Fincher? I am so ghelly right now.

Hah, more like Fincher met Stinkles. The real kicker is...Stinkles is Fincher. Also, he's Einhorn too.

tumblr_lu55ruvthf1r5lra9o1_r1_500.gif
(borrowed it from gaming side, hehe)

Akai__

Hypertrooper destroying german game show moderators and a interview with Frankie: GameOne: Halo 4 press event recap

Only the interview with Frankie @ 12:39 is in english, everything else is in german, but the interview is quite long (10 minutes).

And yeah, there are some spoilers, for those who are curious.

Username origin revealed!
haha, I wish it were that cool.

The ONLY real problem I have with ODST, especially on Legendary, is the incessant beeping and red screen when your health is low. Health packs are hard to come by, and if you use headphones to play like I do, it may drive you a little crazy. Such a great game, though.

End up getting a Ghost on the streets in ODST on Legendary after hours of sneaking around = bliss.
"RUN FROM ME PUNY BRUTES! HAH HA HA HA HA" *cue frightened looks form my girlfriend*

Falagard

Fight Club's one of my favorite movies, and yes Se7en is awesome.

Another fave is The Game. MUST WATCH if you like mind fuck movies.

Fight Club's one of my favorite movies, and yes Se7en is awesome.

Another fave is The Game. MUST WATCH if you like mind fuck movies.
Rule #1 "Do Not Talk About Fight Club"
Rule #2 "DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!"

Leaks? Could Spain dudes with Halo 4 copies download dlc now or until the game is officially released? Hmm.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The real question is, will Tashi be able to adapt to Halo 4? We will find out tomorrow...

So if Tashi gets an overkill, can we finally conclude that this game is broken?

I've said it a million times, my adaption level is maxed out. I'm like water. I conform to my surroundings, blend in seemlessly.

I will get an overkill, it will be filmed, I will post it here.

I'm actually pretty pumped for Halo 4 as it stands now. Even with all the jaded cynicism I have going into it, the improvements over Reach (and the FOV bump and better controls over 3) make it something to look forward to. No more fat Spartans, no more grain, no more desaturated environments, hitscan BR's back, and it looks like it'll properly support being stripped down to allow vanilla gametypes without having to clumsily hack in things like having OS indicators.

Yeah, I wanna get balls deep into this.

Yup, day 1 in MM.

What the fuck. This looks just as bad as Reach.

At this point, I'd prefer it if they scrapped "forge canvas" maps and only gave us the forge we had in Halo 3 pre-Foundry/Sandbox, and spent the time on making three original, beautiful maps instead of 3 forge canvas maps that all look like shit. Fucking hell.

I'm actually pretty pumped for Halo 4 as it stands now. Even with all the jaded cynicism I have going into it, the improvements over Reach (and the FOV bump and better controls over 3) make it something to look forward to. No more fat Spartans, no more grain, no more desaturated environments, hitscan BR's back, and it looks like it'll properly support being stripped down to allow vanilla gametypes without having to clumsily hack in things like having OS indicators.

cat-curse-you-villain.jpg

I'm pretty excited, too

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So this wasn't really answered, and if it was, I missed it.

We are getting 3 forge spaces right? Those are in addition to the announced maps, so are we getting 3 more playable spaces at launch for matchmaking or do we have to wait for forge maps to be "approved?"

Beckx

So this wasn't really answered, and if it was, I missed it.

We are getting 3 forge spaces right? Those are in addition to the announced maps, so are we getting 3 more playable spaces at launch for matchmaking or do we have to wait for forge maps to be "approved?"

No forge maps in matchmaking at launch. This is in one of the bulletins.

Talents

Banned

You say that like it's an achievement.

willow ve

no, I am confirming major web update and console waypoint update and clarifying that the outage today was maintenance in support of that. At least during launch there will be no stats API.

So no news on the Android app? Although considering it's just a web portal to Waypoint having an upgraded site might eliminate/solve those issues as well...

I think Frankles said something along the lines that Forge maps would be given their own space and the standard gametype hoppers would be Forge free (at least for awhile).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah, I don't have time to read those/catch up on them at the moment, so I appreciate it.

Also, that sucks ass. 3 extra play spaces being wasted/taking up space until we get maps made. Yeah, I know it's a petty gripe, but I was hoping for something off the get go from those maps.

zlatko

Banned
If you end up in a rush, the Tyrant legendary guides over at halo.bungie.org are amazing.

I may end up in a rush yes. I only got 40 minutes last night(most nights) to play. That's on weekdays only as weekends I get no play time. I want to complete the game so I can unlock the ODST helmet and body suit for my 360 avatar.

Do I need the guide you think to make sure I accomplish that?

I've said it a million times, my adaption level is maxed out. I'm like water. I conform to my surroundings, blend in seemlessly.

I will get an overkill, it will be filmed, I will post it here.
"I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."
it-smartdesk-good-lucv7s76.jpg

Which is weird, considering that there's the map in the forge video (Impact?) that's supposedly ready for matchmaking.

heckfu

Banned
You say that like it's an achievement.
I've been thinking recently after something Dani said. I give Reach a lot of shit and call it a terrible game etc, but regardless of it being my least favorite Halo it's a damn good game in comparison to a lot of other console FPSs. Sure there could've been a lot of changes made (ZEALOT SPAWNS) but, I mean, I played it consistently for years. I won't be sad to see it go but it was (mostly) fun while we had it.

I may end up in a rush yes. I only got 40 minutes last night(most nights) to play. That's on weekdays only as weekends I get no play time. I want to complete the game so I can unlock the ODST helmet and body suit for my 360 avatar.

Do I need the guide you think to make sure I accomplish that?
All you need to remember for getting the ODST avatar award is this: Don't kill any of the Engineers, which are the floating things that give shields to the Covenant.

I've been thinking recently after something Dani said. I give Reach a lot of shit and call it a terrible game etc, but regardless of it being my least favorite Halo it's a damn good game in comparison to a lot of other console FPSs. Sure there could've been a lot of changes made (ZEALOT SPAWNS) but, I mean, I played it consistently for years. I won't be sad to see it go but it was (mostly) fun while we had it.
Totally, the one thing that stands out to me about Halo Reach is that it feels like an average console FPS, but I just don't settle for that on consoles. I set my bar pretty high with what I expect out of Halo caliber experiences.

I also hope each forge environment has a "signature" map that is in the rotation
No. Hell no.
Not if it's ugly like Hemorrhage, Ascension remake, Sandbox, Foundry, the 4-way symmetrical default layout of the new moonbase canvas or ANY OTHER FUCKING FORGE MAP EVER.

Fuck forge. It's the cancer that is killing Halo.

zlatko

Banned
All you need to remember for getting the ODST avatar award is this: Don't kill any of the Engineers, which are the floating things that give shields to the Covenant.

Don't kill any flying things giving shields---got it. Hope I don't bop one on accident. Were I to kill one, do I just have to replay that entire level from scratch, or an entire campaign?

Don't kill any flying things giving shields---got it. Hope I don't bop one on accident. Were I to kill one, do I just have to replay that entire level from scratch, or an entire campaign?
I think you'll have to do the entire campaign in that case, because it counts for the Rookie segments that you play, which is the hub area.

Top Bottom