• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Trevelyan

Banned
I haven't seen them all, but from what I have seen and know of in general, I'm anticipating Sucker Punch, Benders, and Japan Studio the most at the moment.

Interesting, you say you want more linear games, yet 2 studios here are most likely making open-world games. They must definitely be doing something right with their game design them.

Pachimari

Do we know if The Old Hunters will get a retail release outside Japan?

I can get behind the DriveClub love. Such a magnificent games, to me one of the best titles of this generation yet.

AntMurda

one of these devs should do a psasbr. or they should just hire bandai namco to do it.

No. PSABR just wasn't that interesting. Now here is what SCE should do; they should hire a developer to make a Playstation exclusive Killer Instinct / Mortal Kombat style game with Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole, and third party characters. That would make much more sense and cents.

delSai

No. PSABR just wasn't that interesting. Now here is what SCE should do; they should hire a developer to make a Playstation exclusive Killer Instinct / Mortal Kombat style game with Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole, and third party characters. That would make much more sense and cents.
Dont listen to this guy Sony

BadWolf

As discussed in another thread, they should give it to Capcom to make a Power Stone style game.

Pachimari

I agree with this. Would be so cool as a traditional one on one 3D fighter, like Tekken or Dead or Alive.

From is really churning out games, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, SOTFS; The Old Hunters, Dark Souls 3 and those 2 other project. They most likely worked on all of them at the same time at some point. They're really efficient.

No. PSABR just wasn't that interesting.
Um, the concept certainly was interesting..
Now here is what SCE should do; they should hire a developer to make a Playstation exclusive Killer Instinct / Mortal Kombat style game with Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole, and third party characters. That would make much more sense and cents.
I disagree 100%. the first one made sense, but it should've been much more, formulaically, like smash. I think there was a thread around with the title "should psasbr been a shameless smash clone?" or something like that

Dont listen to this guy Sony
this guy gets it. don't listen, sony!
As discussed in another thread, they should give it to Capcom to make a Power Stone style game.
i think that would be interesting, but I want the initial idea done right first. a third installment would be best for this.

power stone essentially plays similarly to smash except it is 3D, yeah?
Perhaps Sony will take full control of that franchise.
i mean they own bloodborne already. do you mean hand it over to a different dev?
Then we get Bloodborne 3 on Ps5
xehjaSL.gif

that sounds good to me.

Trevelyan

Banned
I also wonder if Sony has any other games left for this year? Maybe they'll surprise us with a Dec. release for Rime, and November for The Tomorrow Children.

Pachimari

I really hope that Sony London gets to work much more on SingStar and improves it through updates. But it honestly feels like they have given up on that franchise.

Verendus

Banned
Interesting, you say you want more linear games, yet 2 studios here are most likely making open-world games. They must definitely be doing something right with their game design them.
It's not that I hate open world games, it's that I hate things that don't necessarily need to be open world, or could be a better experience if designed differently rather than a poorly implemented open world. Granted, there is one thing I dislike about one of these three games, but it's not a deal breaker (my deal breaker is usally first person, which is why I didn't bother with stuff like Skyrim etc.). Expectations play a part, and the genre matters too. I have my preferences, but I also like games for specific reasons.

Specifically:

Sucker Punch - They don't make excessively long games. It's also going to be visually amazing; you can tell that already. I like how the gameplay is shaping up. Kind of cinematic.
Benders - Covers my favourite genre, and also adds elements of another genre I love. Has the kind of mechanics that I now largely prefer in my games. Nice artstyle. Kind of cinematic. This is the one that has one thing I dislike about it, but we'll see with the end result.
Japan Studio - Uncommon artstyle. Uncommon genre (at least from WWS). Interesting looking. Different from the usual kind of games we get. Third person. Kind of cinematic.

The things I like about them are pretty consistent with all three. They're in my favourite genres, all have nice artstyles, and two of them have the kind of gameplay I like.

Really, if it was my choice, I'd bombard you all with TPS cinematic linear/sandbox games, third person action/adventure linear/sandbox games, and third person focused RPGs which are about 30 hours in length. Isn't it a good thing that these studios make what they like, and in the end, you get a decent variety of titles?

Plus, sometimes you just have to deal with it. As long as Naughty Dog doesn't go to the dark side, and it doesn't seem like they are for the moment, I'm good.

salromano

I really just want to see Level-5's project (or one of them: according to Verendus, there's both a PS4-only third-party and a PS4-only first-party project). When that Gravity Rush 2 trailer began, I swore I was looking at Level-5's new game until I saw Kat appear, lol.

Hopefully it'll show up at Paris Games Week. Normally I wouldn't expect something like that at a European event, but then again, Puppeteer and Rain were both announced at Gamescom, and they're both SCE Japan Studio productions.

Guess which game I've been playing the most on my PS4 since launch? ;) absolutely love this game...but I'll still need GT7 in 2016/2017.
ah, right on. so yeah. it'll be announced soon i'm sure, but i don't think it'll release next year (maybe, it's not totally out of the question). but 2017 does sound more reasonable.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I haven't seen them all, but from what I have seen and know of in general, I'm anticipating Sucker Punch, Benders, and Japan Studio the most at the moment. Don't really care about the rest if I'm honest, except SSM but that's number four, even though it's more ambitious than all of these titles. (This means internal games obviously, since if we include partnerships, then there are a couple more I'm interested in.) Undecided on which of the three I want most. Sucker Punch because I really think they can knock it out of the park, and are on the verge of making something great. I've always thought highly of them, and feel they have the potential. Benders because they're covering my favourite genre, and I'm always begging for more of those games. JS, not necessarily because it's more ambitious than the other games (it's not), but because it's different, interesting, and still big enough.

All after Nathaniel Drake obviously, since he's the best of the best.

Very interesting. Some huge things are brewing at SSM. Can't wait for the face-melting that will ensue.

Bousf

Verendus getting people excited, I want excitement too! Can we steer the conversation towards Level 5 for a moment?
XD

BTW playing Driveclub as we speak, can't get enough of that game, I hope Evolution works on Driveclub 2 at some point ^^

It's not that I hate open world games, it's that I hate things that don't necessarily need to be open world, or could be a better experience if designed differently rather than a poorly implemented open world. Granted, there is one thing I dislike about one of these three games, but it's not a deal breaker (my deal breaker is usally first person, which is why I didn't bother with stuff like Skyrim etc.). Expectations play a part, and the genre matters too. I have my preferences, but I also like games for specific reasons.

Specifically:

Sucker Punch - They don't make excessively long games. It's also going to be visually amazing; you can tell that already. I like how the gameplay is shaping up. Kind of cinematic.
Benders - Covers my favourite genre, and also adds elements of another genre I love. Has the kind of mechanics that I now largely prefer in my games. Nice artstyle. Kind of cinematic. This is the one that has one thing I dislike about it, but we'll see with the end result.
Japan Studio - Uncommon artstyle. Uncommon genre (at least from WWS). Interesting looking. Different from the usual kind of games we get. Third person. Kind of cinematic.

The things I like about them are pretty consistent with all three. They're in my favourite genres, all have nice artstyles, and two of them have the kind of gameplay I like.

Really, if it was my choice, I'd bombard you all with TPS cinematic linear/sandbox games, third person action/adventure linear/sandbox games, and third person focused RPGs which are about 30 hours in length. Isn't it a good thing that these studios make what they like, and in the end, you get a decent variety of titles?

Plus, sometimes you just have to deal with it. As long as Naughty Dog doesn't go to the dark side, and it doesn't seem like they are for the moment, I'm good.

I dunno. I wouldn't mind being bombarded with games like that all the time. Those genres cover some of my favorite games of all time.

Speaking on a somewhat unrelated note. I hope we get a Resident Evil 7 announcement at PGW or PSX and I hope (or need) that game to be good.

DevilFox

They published far more games than any of their competitors every year this gen, I think you mean quality (since that's the only thing that is debatable), Sony still published the most games this year and every year in recent memory.

I know the difference between quality and quantity o.o I mean quantity and I was only talking about first p. Studios.
I liked everything I played but everything means TLOU, Tearaway, KZ, Bloodborne, Driveclub and.. nothing else I think. Some are even remasters (as GoW3 and Uncharted Collection that I'll buy in the distant future). Not good, not a disaster because there are other exclusives of course.. I just know they can do better and they will. What the competition does isn't really important.

Verendus

Banned
Verendus getting people excited, I want excitement too! Can we steer the conversation towards Level 5 for a moment?
XD
Slow development. Got bumped because they would have been buried, and they weren't ready, and the plan was to bring them back in front of a western audience eventually. Not much else to say. I'm jittery about their title. They need to do well. I think I realised too late that Hino has a habit of making very big claims, and not necessarily delivering on them as initially explained. I mean, I'm kind of seeing it first-hand now a little, but I think their titles can be good. Just gotta balee and all that.

Sorry if this is largely known but... how does Verendus know all of these things?
Work for Microsoft. Have to keep tabs on the enemy. Corporate espionage.

Trevelyan

Banned
It's not that I hate open world games, it's that I hate things that don't necessarily need to be open world, or could be a better experience if designed differently rather than a poorly implemented open world.

Really couldn't agree more with this statement. If your game design lends itself to an open world nature, than by all means, please proceed, but if you're making something open world just for the sake of it, and because that's where a majority of games are going now, I'll pass.

I thought MGSV is a perfect game where the open world did expand on the game mechanics and truly made it amazing to play.

Sucker Punch is another one where if they can nail down the combat mechanics, their game will truly be something special. Their traversal mechanics lend themselves perfectly to an open world environment, they just need to get the core gameplay/combat down, but I thought SS was definitely a big step in the right direction, even if it wasn't anywhere near perfect.

BadWolf

I thought MGSV is a perfect game where the open world did expand on the game mechanics and truly made it amazing to play.

Very much have to agree with this, what a swan song for KojiPro to go out on.

Playing through it right now and feel like I'm in gaming heaven.

Bousf

Slow development. Got bumped because they would have been buried, and they weren't ready, and the plan was to bring them back in front of a western audience eventually. Not much else to say. I'm jittery about their title. They need to do well. I think I realised too late that Hino has a habit of making very big claims, and not necessarily delivering on them as initially explained. I mean, I'm kind of seeing it first-hand now a little, but I think their titles can be good. Just gotta balee and all that.
Thank you for the info, I guess they haven't been at the best place these past months, since November 2014 they slated one of their JRPG reveals for E3 2015 and that one is slowly getting long gone. I can only hope that what they bring to the table turns out to be good :)
even if in 2018 lol

Top Bottom