• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos...

Bangai-O HD: Bad demo. I've played the game on DC and DS before so I have a good sense of the mechanics--try to get big chains, use the hold-and-explode counter move to make big carnage, etc... but I guess I wanted a way to practice before really diving in because it's been a few years. If I pick tutorial I get a tutorial that's mostly about motion through a series of near-empty areas. If I pick the mission mode, I've thrown right in without really a clear objective or a good sense of what I should be doing. I think the gameplay and graphics and stuff are pretty great, but I can't imagine many new players would have a good experience with the demo.

Bankshot Billards 2: An older, top-down pool game. Lots of modes (more than Pool Nation), very clean but I guess a little boring graphics. I never really got the hang of the controls versus Pool Nation--it's easier to shoot because you just press A, but it's harder to shoot well. I liked all the modes. I like that it has a trick pool mode, that's really cool. The demo limits you to 2 minutes of playtime so most modes you can't play a full game.

Boulder Dash XL: What the hell is this? The remake graphics here are so incredibly garish. I don't really think that Boulder Dash is a classic anyway, but yikes these graphics. You can thankfully turn off the remake graphics, but when you do... you get another set of less garish but still totally gross pseudo-3d graphics. This really really doesn't work.

Call of Duty Classic: I've never played Call of Duty (1) before. I chuckled a little about how it still started with the same boot camp level, how when you die you still get the stupid "War Sux Lol" quotes from military figures. I only played a few levels of the campaign. There are no checkpoints, so I died in the second level like 10 minutes in, which was pretty frustrating. I'm assuming there was a mid-level save function that I missed or something. I didn't notice any infinite enemy waves spawning until I crossed a point, and I largely liked the level design. I notice you have limited health, which I don't think works in this game--since there are tons of health kits every 10-15 seconds, the only purpose of limited health seems to be preventing you from healing DURING a firefight as opposed to encouraging cautious play across the level. It felt like a circa-2002 or so game, which makes sense. $5 maybe, but not $15.

Centipede and Millipede: Not my favourite set of classic games to begin with. Basically you have a screen. At the top of the screen, a centipede made of many little sections spawns and runs down the screen Space Invaders style. There are gazoodles of mushrooms on the screen, which you can shoot and destroy. If the centipede hits a mushroom, he moves down a row... so the more mushrooms he hits, the faster he gets to the bottom. If you shoot a chunk of the centipede, it will die and the remaining chunks will operate autonomously. The remake graphics are fine, but the demo only lasts 30 seconds maybe. In a longer game where you do better it's about managing the mushroom field and trying to aggressively triage what you need to be shooting at any given second, but you don't see that in the demo. Again like Asteroids+Deluxe, Millipede is a sequel that doesn't really do much. I haven't played enough of either to have a preference. Millipede has DDT bombs you can shoot and a few other item/character changes (I remember special mushrooms that immediately send the centipede dashing downwards to the bottom of the screen, but I didn't see these in the demo)

Death Tank: I know this is held up to be a sort of classic real-time scorched earth/tank wars, but this demo doesn't show it. Your tank moves and shoots very sluggishly, aiming controls for shooting are not ideal, the landscapes don't look half as nice as the boxart of the game makes them look, and more to the point, it's a multiplayer-only game with a dead community. Pass. One of the first victims of launching at 1200 msp.

Retro City Rampage: I had two totally opposite reactions to this game. The first was that the quick and easy movement seemed like it would make for a pretty fun open world game to have a rampage in, like GTA1 and to a lesser extent GTA2. The second was that the game besides that seems pretty profoundly unfun. The jokes--references, really--come fast and furious and aren't really all that funny. The main plot seems to involve a bankrobber who murders Doctor Who and steals the Tardis and goes back in time or something. Or maybe it's a Back to the Future reference because when you go back in time you meet a guy who is clearly Doc Brown. The actual missions you play don't seem very engaging. If Hotline Miami says a lot by saying almost nothing, Retro City Rampage says almost nothing by saying a lot. I think I'd be willing to pick it up for 400 msp and just ignoring the dialogue and most of the main missions and just going on a rampage. The frame rate is very nice and clean, though, that's a good thing.

Rocket Knight Adventures: I never really got into Rocket Knight or Sparkster, but this was great. A nice little simple platformer, lots of loot to collect, good enemy designs and having flying + ground levels gives you some level variety. It did seem on the teaser page that the game has relatively few levels, so it's probably short, but there's replays for collectible stuff I guess. 1200 msp is a steep entry price.

Space Invaders Extreme: I've played Extreme on DS and this XBLA version seems to be a good port. For those not enlightened, Extreme is a Pac Man CE style remake of Space Invaders that both adds a lot of gameplay depth and improves the visuals. The gameplay depth encourages you to eliminate invaders in a particular order (row by row, column by column, colour by colour, shape by shape). Doing so gives you powerups and also allows you to shoot special UFOs which trigger FEVER MODE which allows you to rack up a big score. Easier to play it yourself than have it explained, but it works, basically.

Uno Rush: It's Uno, but you can lay more than one card at once, but you need to keep your hand organized left-to-right and you can only lay from the "top" of your hand. I don't really think it works as a game because it moves fast enough that you can't have any real strategy, only perfect or imperfect play, and ultimately it's still the same Uno randomness. I say stick to regular Uno.

Tiqal: Tetris, but with a wider playfield and your objective is to make squares of four dots of the same colour rather than full lines. Load times and interface response times are a little slow, which gives the whole thing a sluggish feel. The gameplay is fine but it's not really all that new of a territory. I don't think this would be in your top 10 arcade zen-trance score attack type games. Has a sort of Tiki Mask Amazon/south Pacific theme.

Trouble Witches Neo: 2D horizontal scrolling shmup where the risk-reward mechanic is to let enemy bullets get close to you, freeze them, and then kill the enemies. Didn't seem very difficult even if you didn't do any of that and just treated it as a straight shoot-em-up. Okay, there, I've said all the objective, descriptive stuff I'm going to say. Good god what a horrible aesthetic, stupid looking idiotic anime girls with dumb names and dumb clothes. Ugh. I played on mute but I could almost hear the shrill KAWAII DESU NO KYOOOOOOOT voices they no doubt had drilling through my skull. Safe to say, this is not my favourite chosen aesthetic. If you want a cartoony shoot em up, play Parodius.

Ugly Americans Apocalypsegeddon: Side-scrolling twin-stick type shooter based on a show or web series or something. The "joke" appears to be that the characters look stupid and the enemies look stupid. I had a gun that shot golf balls, and I kept being able to pick up other guns that shot, like, snowglobes and stuff. I could level up. I found a demon baby in the trash which I guess did something to help me. The boss I fought kept yelling catchphrases. As a game this sort of just seemed like a passive way to kill time, nothing really grabbed me. I can tell that it was designed for fans of whatever this is.

When the mods and Stump were sorting the switch they asked that I didn't do weekly threads.

FWIW People should feel like it's okay to make a new thread for a particular deal if one happens that's notable. New threads for new news, of course. I don't really think that 50% off RDR DLC for the 19th time or avatar tattoos 33% off is really a notable deal, but if it's the first major discount on a popular game or really interesting stuff, yeah, absolutely choose to make a new thread for it.

(Hence there being a thread about the GoD sale!)

The only reason why I steered away from weekly threads is that I sort of feel like a weekly thread that gets 30 replies is not very useful at all in terms of the stated goal of having new threads--expanding the audience that can participate in the discussion by making it easier to get involved. Let's be totally honest, XBLA is in "decline" as part of a natural end-of-generation decline. It has been for a few years. You can see it bigtime in the length of threads about every game on the platform, the number of games that go unnoticed, etc.

Another reason why we discourage weekly threads is because then someone needs to do a thread every week and it's a bit of a burden. kassatsu does the PSN ones reliably (in part I think because he runs a PSN website and so there's synnergy between the two things, both in terms of self-promotion LOL and in terms of cutting down on effort involved). But even with the Nintendo threads being monthly, there's still been 4 or 5 switchovers in terms of who does the threads and what their format is. We want stuff that's self-maintaining and self-moderating ;)

Going back through old GAF threads to see XBLA impressions from years past, and I've found... quite a lot of threads announcing games that never came out on XBLA.

Eternity's Child (PC, terrible)
Fractal Jigsaw (became Puzzle Arcade?)
Airburst
Asteroid Cowboys
The Fast and the Furriest
Kart Attack
Emergency Hospital - this one was announced two weeks before release and never came out
Tides of Iron / Wings of War
Spear Fishing
Visceral making XBLA game
Afterfall
Angry Birds - ended up being retail years later
Animales de los Muertes
Silent Hill multiplayer game -- became book of memories?
Futuremark making an XBLA game -- Unstoppable Gorg
Girl Fight
Toki HD
Transformers Origins
Louisiana: Mystery Cases
Hoopworld - announced for XBLA before 360 released, showed up 5 years later on WiiWare

LOL
IIRC Wikipedia also had pegged The Incredible Machine coming to XBLA, back in the early years of the service. No photos, no videos, just a listing.

Never happened. What a shame, that series was awesome.

I suppose there was a new Incredible Machine... on iOS, courtesy of Disney, of all companies. Except it's since been pulled, since I looked on iTunes for it shortly after learning about it, and it was nowhere to be found. What a shame.

We also got Crazy Machines, but I always thought Incredible Machine had a bit more personality than that series.

Very tempted by GRID at that price, but after watching clips on youtube the handling looks a bit odd.

To those who have played it, is there another franchise you would compare it to as far as gameplay?

NFS Shift

I completely disagree with the Shift comparison. GRID is a highly polished piece of work. Great handling model that is equal parts sim and arcade. Looks fantastic even today.

Shift was a shoddy piece of work, with handing that never, ever felt right. Most of the time you felt like you were sliding on ice.

GAMERG0D

Next week Deal of the Week:

• NiGHTS into dreams… 400 (50% of)
  • Sonic the Fighters 160 (60% off)
  • Fighting Vipers 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 5 FS 400 (67% off)
  • Karateka 400 (50% of)
  • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 800 (50% off)
And I paid 400 for Sonic Fighters...

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
So glad they announced next weeks Sega sale early. I probably would have dropped all of my points on the current GOD sale but now I think I'm gonna save some for next week.

Valkyria

Banned
Next week Deal of the Week:

• NiGHTS into dreams… 400 (50% of)
  • Sonic the Fighters 160 (60% off)
  • Fighting Vipers 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 5 FS 400 (67% off)
  • Karateka 400 (50% of)
  • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 800 (50% off)

Oh yeah! now we are talking. I got to check the prices in my country for GOD, I would have bought Tomb Raider if I hadn't bought it a month ago with the Tomb Raider Trilogy Hd for Ps3.

madmackem

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds - 800msp, 1.56GB.

Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - 1200msp, 824MB.

Also,

Guardians of Middle-earth
--Compatibility Pack 3 - free
--Survival Mode & Goblin-Town Map - 320msp

Pinball FX2
--Star Wars Pinball - 800msp
Boba Fett, SW Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back and SW: The Clone Wars.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Decade Duels Plus
--Card pack 013 - 160msp
--Card Pack 014 - 160msp
--Structure Deck 002 - 240msp
--Super Pack 002 - 320msp

-----

Could be temp but,

Serious Sam 3: BFE - 800msp (was 1200)
--Jewel of the Nile - 800msp

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Am I missing something with Runner2? I played through the demo and don't see what warrants a $15 price point. Seems like a 400pt game to me.

I look forward to the developers moaning via social networks about the game selling two copies.

Valkyria

Banned
Am I missing something with Runner2? I played through the demo and don't see what warrants a $15 price point. Seems like a 400pt game to me.

I look forward to the developers moaning via social networks about the game selling two copies.

Looks like the new starting price for many developers. I buy a lot of DD, but I just wait for prices around 5€ (up to 600 msp buying points only) and I 'm sure a lot of people do as me. For good games 10€ is something acceptable.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's got a lot of levels, they get really hard, there are multiple difficulties, and there's a perfection element to getting all the gold. The original was sold for $10 and very successful at that pricepoint. $15 seems more like a "high profile and expanding to new platforms" tax :p

aku:jiki

Every puzzle game that comes out now has 100+ levels, so that's not much of an argument. I dread puzzle games for that reason; they're always such a massive grind to complete.

I completely disagree with the Shift comparison. GRID is a highly polished piece of work. Great handling model that is equal parts sim and arcade. Looks fantastic even today.

Shift was a shoddy piece of work, with handing that never, ever felt right. Most of the time you felt like you were sliding on ice.

Both are sim-arcade handling model. They both feel wrong and require a time to get used to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos...

Battlefield 1943: I last played a Battlefield game probably about 10 years ago, and I'm not sure I had any clue what I was doing then. The demo gives you 30 minutes to play online but it felt like I got a little bit more, in part because the game doesn't cut you off until you finish your current match. It's a class-based, vehicle driven, team-based game. The server I played on was playing the Wake Island map again and again, which is basically a chain of islands connected by bridges. Players start on a battleship off the coast and need to take a boat or plane to get to the mainland and begin capturing areas--I crashed the only plane I tried to fly. Once you capture areas you can spawn at those areas, and capturing is as easy as having people from your team in the area while there's no opposing team presence. I was in the top 2-3 on the server each match I played, and I don't consider myself very good at shooters, so I'm guessing anyone with any skill has moved on from the game. Overall I liked the vehicles a lot, I liked the map, I liked the building destruction, the game felt good, and I liked getting kills. I didn't see a huge difference in the classes, as even the anti-infantry guy had a rocket launcher to take out tanks. I have no interest in getting a multiplayer-driven shooter, but this was fun.

Buku Sudoku: I suck at Sudoku worse than I remember, and ended up cheesing my way through a puzzle by guessing in cases where I only had 2 possibilities left--thankfully, the game will basically confirm or deny your guesses. I liked the music. The interface was fine.

Crystal Defenders: I think there's probably a compelling tower defence game here, but it's buried beneath gotta-be-emulated 15fps Java-BREW cell phone level engine performance and just shoddy, low-effort presentation in general. I think of a big company stamping their name on this while a tiny company makes Orcs Must Die or Defence Grid or any other beautiful, polished tower defence game...

DAYTONA USA: Rolling start! I love the dithering in Saturn-era games. Other than that, it's a 40 second demo. You either want to buy Daytona USA or you don't. The options advertised a karaoke mode where you can drive while you sing... err... okay?

The Expendables 2 Videogame: This is probably one of the worst games I've played on XBLA so far. The demo is fine in that it seems to contain a large amount of content, but holy crap is it bad. Terrible framerate, hideous ghoulish graphics, incredibly tedious gameplay--the game is half twin-stick shooter with literally thousands of bullet-sponge enemies and half rail-shooter vehicle segments. Impact font is of course used for the bulk of the game's text. Very low effort voice acting performances. I think I get the sense that this game would appeal to someone who thought the film was Epic, Engrossing, and had great, well defined Characters. In the game each character has a signature kill, which basically means the camera zooms in if you use it to kill someone. There were lots of explosions. I really hated this, I really did. The aiming sucked, the enemies took forever to kill, the screen was filled with them, it was so stupid and shallow. I'm not saying I want an Infinite Jest adaptation or something, but man...

Fancy Pants Adventures: It's a stage-based platformer with a stick man drawing style, based I guess on a flash game? The platforming physics felt a lot like N+ in a way that worked for N+ and not for this game. It just felt like a lot of work to get through relatively simple level designs. I also didn't much like the visual style, which I know would ordinarily mean I wouldn't play the demo.

Guwange: An older Cave shmup with a Japanese theme. You play a character walking on the ground, which also means the levels have an odd shape to them since you can't just fly over all the scenery. There's interesting risk-reward here--you can move and shoot at the same time just fine, but if you hold down a different button you summon a spirit monster (shikigami). Once you do this, you control the spirit monster while shooting, but now your base character is a lot less mobile. The shikigami will slow down enemy bullets, and if you kill an enemy while the bullets are slowed down, you get fat sacks of loot. So you need to constantly swap between using your shikigami to improve your score and stay safe, and just moving normally where you can more easily dodge the bullets that do get through. There were three characters. I liked this a lot. I think this and Strania, so far, are the two best shoot-em-up demos I've played.

Jewel Quest: It's the classic puzzler/arcade game Azkend. Basically, Bejeweled-style match 3, but every time a match occurs on a particular square, that square is marked, and you have to mark every square on the playing field to go to the next level--level designs are irregularly shaped, so certain squares are much harder to mark than others. I played, finished, mastered, and really enjoyed Azkend so I think I'd enjoy this, but the price was kind of mental.

Lode Runner: Never played Lode Runner before, somehow, I get the impression it's a long-running and significant series. It's basically a single-screen platformer where you need to evade or trap quick moving enemies while climbing ladders, falling, and shooting destructible blocks. You cannot jump. You can only shoot diagonal down left or diagonal down right, so you need to carefully plan your shooting and movements to get loot and evade the monsters. I can see a real complexity emerge from the simple mechanics, and the presentation seems nice enough. I liked the puzzle mode levels more than the main game.

Metal Slug 3: Performance was pretty terrible on this, is it emulated? It seemed like it. For that reason alone, I think XX is probably the better purchase on XBLA, even if I can't evaluate which is the better game.

Quake Arena Arcade: Is this a good port of Quake 3 to XBLA? Yes. Do the controls work? Yes, mostly--a bit too much of weapon management is assigned to the face buttons but I'm sure I could have remapped. Is anyone playing it online at this point? No. Thus, is it a good purchase? No. (I went 10 to -1 in the second campaign level on 3* difficulty and got melee kills, feels good man!)

Radiant Silvergun: A saturn-era shoot-em-up with a nifty sword mechanic. Unfortunately, I died within seconds of the game starting every time I tried it. I don't think I ever felt in control of the sword mechanic. You have multiple weapons at once and using each levels them up, but each is good for different stuff. You can fire multiple weapons at once so they sort of combine and stuff, so I guess there's actually 6 combinations plus the sword? I didn't really get the flow of the game, Ikaruga is definitely the Treasure game that appeals more to me.

Red Alert: Commander's Challenge: So, it's a Red Alert game for consoles. The controls really sucked and the overly long, too slow tutorial didn't inspire me much. Basically I felt like it was difficult to select and move around your dudes, and that resulted in the whole experience feeling crummy. Also, because build orders are done from a central menu rather than on a per-building context, I actually had trouble figuring out what buildings in the pre-built bases did and what they were. LOL RICK FLAIR IS DA ACTOR THEY GOT--I actually like the cheesy acting in Command and Conquer games, but maybe they're a little too self-aware at this point? Also the lame voice-acting was maybe a little too much every time you tell a unit to do something. It seems like there's a lot of content, so I guess if the controls work for you, it's worth checking out, but I didn't click with it.

Serious Sam Double D XXL: It's a side scrolling platformer-shooter take on Serious Sam. I found the sprites a little grungy and the backgrounds pretty gaudy and I don't really like Serious Sam's designs to begin with and the platforming is kind of iffy and... I will say, however, I liked the weapons system. You get to take multiple weapons and attach them to each other.... so you can have a stack of 5 chainsaws, or a chainsaw-rocket launcher-jetpack-machine gun, or any other number of millions of combinations. That was neat, and it's especially neat that they appear as a stack on the screen. Also, since they have separate ammo, you have to avoid just stacking all your guns together for no real reason, because you'll deplete the ammo-scarse weapons first.

Tetris Splash: It's Tetris with a water theme. I liked Tetris Evolution, the retail title, better. It has hold piece, I didn't play long enough to see if it had infinite rotation.

So Virtua Fighter 2 is going to be 2 bucks? Not really into that series but you'd almost have to snag it at that price, given the history. How's it hold up for casual play?

acm2000

So Virtua Fighter 2 is going to be 2 bucks? Not really into that series but you'd almost have to snag it at that price, given the history. How's it hold up for casual play?

well, its was always super easy to pull off fluid combos in VF, and this is the arcade version, so looks just like it did way back, glorious

Guwange: An older Cave shmup with a Japanese theme. You play a character walking on the ground, which also means the levels have an odd shape to them since you can't just fly over all the scenery. There's interesting risk-reward here--you can move and shoot at the same time just fine, but if you hold down a different button you summon a spirit monster (shikigami). Once you do this, you control the spirit monster while shooting, but now your base character is a lot less mobile. The shikigami will slow down enemy bullets, and if you kill an enemy while the bullets are slowed down, you get fat sacks of loot. So you need to constantly swap between using your shikigami to improve your score and stay safe, and just moving normally where you can more easily dodge the bullets that do get through. There were three characters. I liked this a lot. I think this and Strania, so far, are the two best shoot-em-up demos I've played.

Radiant Silvergun: A saturn-era shoot-em-up with a nifty sword mechanic. Unfortunately, I died within seconds of the game starting every time I tried it. I don't think I ever felt in control of the sword mechanic. You have multiple weapons at once and using each levels them up, but each is good for different stuff. You can fire multiple weapons at once so they sort of combine and stuff, so I guess there's actually 6 combinations plus the sword? I didn't really get the flow of the game, Ikaruga is definitely the Treasure game that appeals more to me.

Own both and was playing both the other day (along with R-Type Dimensions - which everyone should buy), and I think I prefer Guwange. I know Radiant Silvergun is RADIANT SILVERGUN, I just feel like I enjoy Cave's thematic games more.

Slygmous

Virtua Fighter 2 has aged allright graphically, as it has it's own visual style, but it plays slow compared to modern fighters. It's very hard too, I couldn't even beat the arcade mode on easy. Still a great game.

I might get slain for this, but Fighting Vipers is a better game out of the two, and it will also be on sale. Easy mode is still hard though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I caught Death Tank on sale awhile back. Probably my favorite local multiplayer game right now. It's one of the things the platform shines at, but it's a shrinking market segment so it's not mentioned that often.

The weapons and abilities are fun and varied, and the arcade mode is fiendishly difficult, which I appreciate. I definitely feel I got my money's worth.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos...

Assault Heroes 2: It's Assault Heroes 1, only less cartoony and with more weapons and vehicles. In this case I feel like the original was the better game. Again it's a top-down twin-stick type shooter where you have a tank. I like that in this instalment you have four weapons simultaneously: machine gun (anti-infantry), rockets (anti-vehicle/building), flamethrower (clearing a crowd), ... ice/smoke gun. So the game becomes more about switching weapons quickly enough to the right situation. But definitely I think the first game was something I enjoyed more.

Awesomenauts: It's a 2d arena combat platformer shooter game. Basically each team has one side of the map with a base. The base is protected by a big wall of turrets. You need to team up and destroy your enemy's turret and then their base. You get energy while you play, which you use for upgrades. There are many different characters, each of which is sort of its own "class". You have a persistent level across games which also contributes to your loadout options. I played the tutorial to get the hang of the controls then played online for a half hour (the demo's limit). I didn't really get anywhere--I found my character moved slowly, shot slowly, did almost no damage, and I was never really getting much energy to get upgrades. I guess I'm just lacking the skill required to play well, given that the unlocks didn't seem unbalanced. I played two or three games as well as an offline game against bots and I never really had a satisfying moment where I accomplished anything. It's a very defensive game, where you're incentivized to avoid dying at all costs and play it safe. The abilities seemed pretty unique and interesting, but again it never clicked with me. I also found Romino's previous game, Swords and Soldiers, a little too slow. It's a totally different genre than that, but maybe that's the common link. By about the half-way mark of each match everyone playing seemed way way more powerful than me.

Blacklight: Tango Down: Online-only shooter. Standard weapons. Syndicate-style hacking/glitching/computer aesthetic. Each team gets a "base" where they spawn which is defended by immortal turrets. And then you just find dudes and shoot them. Has loadouts / level-ups. The level designs were pretty standard but in my half hour with the game I was able to find certain spots that seemed like good lines of attack. I liked that the game was very fast--it seems like people get killed after only a few shots, so the kill count stays high and something interesting is always happening.

Contra: I forgot the original Contra Arcade was on a sort of tate / vertical display monitor. I'm used to the NES version, to be honest, so some of the small differences seemed a little weird to me. The visuals are older looking than I remember, and again there's a terrible HQ2X style filter smeared over the visuals, which look better in the original mode. You only get one stage so I don't really have much commentary on the level design. I also found the controls, particularly aiming down or diagonally down, pretty stiff.

CellFactor: Psychokinect Wars: Primarily multiplayer driven FPS whose demo doesn't let you play online. I played through the tutorial as each of the three classes: one mostly physic character, one character that mixes some psychic stuff with guns, and one robot character that has two guns which are separately wielded. Map design seemed a little ho-hum and weapons felt pretty flimsy, but movement controls were good and I can see how the different classes would give you a different online experience.

Dead Space: Ignition: In the bottom 5 games I've tried on XBLA. This is a "motion comic" set in the Dead Space transmediaverse. Is the art good? No. Did it have a lot of effort or polish? No, it's basically quickly drawn concept art. Is the writing good? No. is the voice acting good? No. Is the animation engaging? No. Is the story interesting? No. Does anyone care about the expanded universe? No. Well, let's talk gameplay. After a few minutes of blabbing, you get to play a minigame. It's a version of the classic auto-running games where you need to dodge obstacles by moving your dude up or down as the screen scrolls. Does it control well? No. Does it require any real skill? No. Is it presented well? No. That ends 30 seconds later, BUY THE GAME. The main selling point for the game seems to be that you unlock garbage in Dead Space 2. This is really embarrassing, a true testament to how pathetic the corporate churn is. Monetize this, franchise that, buy the novel adaptation, pre-order the anime blu-ray to get 50% off the companion tablet app. It's just really disgusting how cynical this is as a product.

Death by Cube: Ah, another twin-stick shooter. This is a very stylish mess. The levels are sterile white techno-tiles. The enemies are black cubes. When you destroy one a very generous splatter of blood goes everywhere. The game is very very frustrating. Enemies fire and spawn off-screen and move very quickly towards you, so you never feel like you have the ability to plan ahead. You can shoot, but the main mechanics are teleporting away from enemies and temporarily reflecting their bullets back to them. Very frustrating. Constant constant "Buy da game already" crap in the demo, and absolutely nothing encouraged me to do so. Seems like it would be very frustrating to finish or do well in, also seems like you need to grind the same levels again and again to get currency to unlock new levels. Definitely one of the worst twin-stick shooters I've tried on XBLA.

Galaga Legions DX: Mostly this seemed like Galaga Legions with a slightly different mechanic for controls.

Minesweeper Flags: It's Minesweeper. There are load times--not long ones, but long enough that you're wondering why Minesweeper would ever have load times. There's a two player co-operative/competitive mode. The demo cuts you off after maybe 30 seconds in a mode.

Runner 2: To me it mostly seems like a bigger, longer, better, harder version of Bit.Trip Runner, which is great, because I found that game a little too easy. I love the character designs, especially the pickle guy. I love the way the game isn't really a rhythm or a music game but you get this profoundly fun audio feedback for playing well. The new mechanics mostly seem neat. One buggaboo: The load times are REALLY long on 360, and there's really no reason for that. They're also frequently, like there's a load time required to go into the options menu??? Charles Martinet's narration is a little much, not his fault, I definitely blame the writing which seems like it was intended to mostly get Charles Martinet to say a bunch of stupid stuff. I'll buy it on some platform at some point, but probably not XBLA if they don't patch it, and definitely for less than $15.

Triggerheart Excelica: Anime girl themed vertical shoot-em-up. Main mechnical idea seems to be that when you kill an enemy they leave behind loot for you to pick up, but it's difficult to do so. If you stop firing the loot homes in towards you, but then the screen fill quickly fill up with projectiles. The one level in the demo didn't seem all that interesting and I hate hate hate hate the art style although not as bad as Trouble Witches Neo, but the gameplay seemed fine to me.

War World: It's a third person shooter mech game designed for 16 player combat. It's basically made for online play but the demo doesn't allow you to try online play. The demo gives you 30-40 seconds in one level. I found it very frantic, the level was so cramped that everywhere you fired you hit something. The mechs didn't feel like mechs, nothing about the movement felt mech-y, the framerate was kind of crummy, the interface sucked, and the only weapon the demo gave me was a standard machine gun. Not sure why anyone would buy this.

Vert boil

With Triggerheart Excelica you aren't meant to collect the shards yourself, they gain more value as time passes. Once they reach the bottom of the screen you suck them in.
The main gimmick is that you can grapple ships and either use them as a shield (they spin around your ship) or you can throw them at enemies.

Nice underrated XBLA shmup.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With Triggerheart Excelica you aren't meant to collect the shards yourself, they gain more value as time passes. Once they reach the bottom of the screen you suck them in.
The main gimmick is that you can grapple ships and either use them as a shield (they spin around your ship) or you can throw them at enemies.

Nice underrated XBLA shmup.

Wait, really? The game didn't make this clear at all. I'm going to have to play the demo again and get a better handle on it I guess?

Wait, really? The game didn't make this clear at all. I'm going to have to play the demo again and get a better handle on it I guess?

Yeah, the full game is no better for teaching you how to play. I fumbled through the whole thing (continue continue continue continue continue) without ever knowing about the grapple thing. It's pretty awesome when you learn to play properly, though.

(Even though I still continue a lot)

War World: It's a third person shooter mech game designed for 16 player combat. It's basically made for online play but the demo doesn't allow you to try online play. The demo gives you 30-40 seconds in one level. I found it very frantic, the level was so cramped that everywhere you fired you hit something. The mechs didn't feel like mechs, nothing about the movement felt mech-y, the framerate was kind of crummy, the interface sucked, and the only weapon the demo gave me was a standard machine gun. Not sure why anyone would buy this.
I think this was the reaction of everyone who played the demo a few years back, particularly in regards to the demo length. I'm used to having to sit through splash screens and whatnot, and some demos are barely longer in actual gameplay than all the stuff required to get into the gameplay, but the War World demo was particularly impressive in that regard.

aku:jiki

I felt like even the full version of Triggerheart didn't really grab me and explain the system very well. Maybe because I'm impatient and I just mash my way past the mandatory info screens in shmups, heh. Either way, I know I spent a good while playing it without ever grappling or doing any of the other stuff. Isn't there another layer to it beyond the grappling? It's been a long time since I played but I want to recall that it's actually very deep, mechanically.

XBLA has an impressive line-up of shmups, I just wish there was a better business model on XBLA so we could have more. I was really hoping that Studio SiestA, at least, would make a home there after Trouble Witches.

(A little bitter that the Anomaly sequel was announced for everything but XBLA/PSN today. It's been happening far too often, MS needs to lay off with taking a 50% cut or whatever it is they do.)

Well that puts it in line with the $10 Windows 8 version. Windows Phone still gets the best deal at $5, but that of course means you have to be a person owns a Windows Phone. Those people deserve to catch a break sometimes.

Nyx

Awesomenauts: It's a 2d arena combat platformer shooter game. Basically each team has one side of the map with a base. The base is protected by a big wall of turrets. You need to team up and destroy your enemy's turret and then their base. You get energy while you play, which you use for upgrades. There are many different characters, each of which is sort of its own "class". You have a persistent level across games which also contributes to your loadout options. I played the tutorial to get the hang of the controls then played online for a half hour (the demo's limit). I didn't really get anywhere--I found my character moved slowly, shot slowly, did almost no damage, and I was never really getting much energy to get upgrades. I guess I'm just lacking the skill required to play well, given that the unlocks didn't seem unbalanced. I played two or three games as well as an offline game against bots and I never really had a satisfying moment where I accomplished anything. It's a very defensive game, where you're incentivized to avoid dying at all costs and play it safe. The abilities seemed pretty unique and interesting, but again it never clicked with me. I also found Romino's previous game, Swords and Soldiers, a little too slow. It's a totally different genre than that, but maybe that's the common link. By about the half-way mark of each match everyone playing seemed way way more powerful than me.

The last bit is because you think you need to play on the defense.
You don't!

You have to be aggressive and kill lots of creeps + opponents, then you level up faster and become more powerful.

I think it's one of the best XBLA games there is, 200+ hours invested already.
Shame the developer abandoned the consoleversion though....

Nexuiz was de-listed a couple of days ago, also the servers have now been closed now too.

So online play is now actually impossible? I mean, sure, it was basically impossible before since the player base wasn't there but at least the option was available. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it for 200 points but it's still aggravating.

With all these delistings recently I have been thinking about something. When Xbla started there was no need to wait. Buy a game if you want it because sales were pretty non-existant. Fast forward some years and they are getting pretty good with sales. It is to the point that waiting is actually beneficial. But lately it is back to buying things you really want lest they get delisted. Kinda scary how games can just disappear.

Nexuiz was de-listed a couple of days ago, also the servers have now been closed now too.

A shame, I love these kind of games but the player base is just not there on consoles and it should really stick to pc, even then it's tricky.

I wonder if it was worth trying to make it a free 2 play game like happy wars somehow?

Well Nexuiz was published by THQ and they had server responsibility, when THQ went the servers were next in line.
Apparently if you bought it on the cheap on last price drop, MS have been issuing refunds if you contact support.

Eusis

A shame, I love these kind of games but the player base is just not there on consoles and it should really stick to pc, even then it's tricky.

I wonder if it was worth trying to make it a free 2 play game like happy wars somehow?
Speaking of which, I wonder if the game's fine on PC? A little obnoxious how publisher dependent it is on XBL though given you're paying a subscription for it, at least on PS3 I could understand.

Top Bottom