• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Amalthea

Banned
That's how it work. Any unbeaten divine beast remaining will be part of the final battle. That's the point of the whole design with
the rays pointing at the castle

And by the way, there's no "too early" point after the plateau. Do things whenever you feel like it.
Oh, I see. But I already beat them all before entering Hyrule Castle, so I'd have to start a new game to see it. I was just not aware the endboss fight varied much more than just lowering the HP of Ganon through the rays.

Firenze1

Banned
All shrines
Maxed all armor
Compendium complete
All memories
200 seeds
Map complete
All sidequests done

I am feeling fatigue. Ill wait for dlc now

Do you guys know if it's possible to climb down the great plateau when the game begins? This doesn't serve any purpose but I was just curious to know if it's possible to explore areas you're not supposed to have access to at the beginning of the game.

When I finally got the glider thing from the old guy, out of curiosity I tried not using the glider and simply climbed down and I was able to but I was thinking the game probably doesn't allow you to do that at the very beginning. Am I right?

Actually it is possible to escape the plateau without getting the glider through using stasis on a huge metal door that you use to ride across the sky.

If it's thrown far enough and provided you dong get close to the Plateau, you should have access to the whole world without a glider

atr0cious

Actually it is possible to escape the plateau without getting the glider through using stasis on a huge metal door that you use to ride across the sky.

If it's thrown far enough and provided you dong get close to the Plateau, you should have access to the whole world without a glider
Is this verified? I read a long write up about how this isn't possible because as soon as you touch down, the game does a check for the glider and kills you.

Anteo

Is this verified? I read a long write up about how this isn't possible because as soon as you touch down, the game does a check for the glider and kills you.

You can actually walk outside the plateau for a while if you perform the trick the right way but after traveling a bit you just die on the spot and are twleported back to the plateau.

Easy_G

No idea what "I'm ready to fight Gannon" means to you, but the more you complete the game and the better your equipment is, the easier the boss fight will get. Your choice whether you prefer the challenge or want to just walk through the boss. ;-)

Yes, it's completely save to beat it far as I know.

"Downside" is that after reloading the safe, the game world hasn't developed, as the boss still lives. You unfortunately don't get to explore a post boss Hyrule.

I kind of wish I'd known all this before I fought Ganon, but I was avoiding spoilers. The end fight was incredibly easy with my upgraded armor and weapons, and the lack of a post Ganon Hyrule was a bummer. It made beating the game very underwhelming.

Still having fun though. I mainly want to find the last 9 shrines and upgrade some more armor pieces.

Pachimari

I impulse bought this game yesterday and decided to give it a try last night. I'm at the part where the old guy asks me to find 4 shrines to get the paraglide from him and I climbed up a snowy mountain to get to one I think, and to get to the next one I need to cross the river but I don't have any particularly good clothing , or any food left or any great stamina or anything really. And when I look to the view there a long way down. I feel helpless lol.

104 shrines now and just checking every mountain peak that doesnt seem familiar with the shrine sensor on. Its getting really difficult though. 7 of them are shrine quests but I haven't stumbled upon the NPC or area yet.

Red

Up to 450 Korok Seeds now, halfway there..
I'm almost there! 30 to go.

Are there any areas that feel like home to you guys? Places that stick out in your minds as feeling especially welcoming or interesting in some other way? I love the verdant hills over the waterfalls in Necluda. For some reason these feel most familiar to me, and they are nearly always the first place I think of when I think of the game. There are little nooks around, even a little cave section to take cover and build a fire in the rain. And the view from the top is gorgeous, in every direction. A lot of things come together just right in that geography.

I have yet to finish the dragon's mouth Kass quest. I think it's my last one. I've played around 140 hours and dragons still haven't spawned.

caramac

I'm almost there! 30 to go.

Are there any areas that feel like home to you guys? Places that stick out in your minds as feeling especially welcoming or interesting in some other way? I love the verdant hills over the waterfalls in Necluda. For some reason these feel most familiar to me, and they are nearly always the first place I think of when I think of the game. There are little nooks around, even a little cave section to take cover and build a fire in the rain. And the view from the top is gorgeous, in every direction. A lot of things come together just right in that geography.

I have yet to finish the dragon's mouth Kass quest. I think it's my last one. I've played around 140 hours and dragons still haven't spawned.

I always mostly head back to Hateno village when I'm done by fast travelling to the shrine behind the village or to the tech lab and then paragliding down into the village.

That music always reminds me I'm home haha.

Magnet

Neo Member
Could someone give a not-too-spoilery tip for where I need to go at this point? I've done the Zora Divine Beast (the only one I've done so far) and it seems like the game is nudging me toward the one in Goron territory, but I catch on fire and die on the path, and the game has not given me any clue about how to deal with it that I've seen so far. Is there a town or stable with answers that I should have encountered before heading this way?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Could someone give a not-too-spoilery tip for where I need to go at this point? I've done the Zora Divine Beast (the only one I've done so far) and it seems like the game is nudging me toward the one in Goron territory, but I catch on fire and die on the path, and the game has not given me any clue about how to deal with it that I've seen so far. Is there a town or stable with answers that I should have encountered before heading this way?
Yes, there is a stable nearby that gives you what you need.
I don't think they are really nudging you there anyways though.

Magnet

Neo Member
Yes, there is a stable nearby that gives you what you need.
I don't think they are really nudging you there anyways though.

Maybe it just seemed like they were based on its location relative to Zora's Domain (compared to the other DB that are much further away) and also a side quest I had started where someone needs a Goron's help.

Thanks for the tip!

Anteo

Maybe it just seemed like they were based on its location relative to Zora's Domain (compared to the other DB that are much further away) and also a side quest I had started where someone needs a Goron's help.

Thanks for the tip!

If anything they probably expected you to give up going to the mountain and go to the north west DB.

ChuyMasta

All shrines
Maxed all armor
Compendium complete
All memories
200 seeds
Map complete
All sidequests done

I am feeling fatigue. Ill wait for dlc now

Same here. Im just messing around now. I went ahead and got all the royal guard weapons plus shield and bow, then equipped the dark link armor set. It looks badass.
wMyrx

Zakalwe

Banned
I love how open this game is.

I was fighting Thunderblight Ganon and my weapons were rubbish so I was going to farm some decent drops, when I thought screw it I'll get the master sword. Went exploring for 16 shrines, then tracked the sword down and swatted TB in a couple of minutes.

There is just so much to find. At first I felt the world was a little barren, but now I understand just how teeming with stuff it is if you actually go looking for it.

I really like the little cutscene you get if you tread
on the flowers
on the way out of that shrine, too....

Red

Same here. Im just messing around now. I went ahead and got all the royal guard weapons plus shield and bow, then equipped the dark link armor set. It looks badass.
wMyrx
I don't get the point of the royal guard equipment. It's some of the most fragile stuff in the game. Seems like it wouldn't be fitting for the royal guard.

Pokemaniac

Not the whole world, only a very small area around the Great Plateau. Wander too far away and you get teleported back to the ledge outside the Shrine of Resurrection.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My switch arrived today along with this.

Not very far but there is a nice sense of discovery to it. Pretty excited to finally play this, I'm going in mostly blind. Didn't read any reviews

Magnet

Neo Member
If anything they probably expected you to give up going to the mountain and go to the north west DB.

They probably expect you to follow the paths somewhat, so that's what I get for mostly ignoring them when I wander around. I did find the stable just alongside the marked path toward Goron, go figure! Glad I can continue onward now.

Red

I wish there was more to do. I've seen many complaints about BotW being too big, but I don't agree. I wish it were bigger. I wish it included underwater and underground areas. And I wish it had more extensive combat trials. The DLC looks like it will scratch that itch—but only a little bit. It looks like it opens an artificial combat arena. I wish there was a more natural progression of combat in places, like a monster-occupied town or a series of tunnels that need to be cleared out.

Really all I want are more excuses to spend time in this world.

Anson225

for some reason after 155 hours i haven't caught a single electric darner
am I safe to assume they will be in "electric" area? (gerudo and lakeside stable area)

maxcriden

I impulse bought this game yesterday and decided to give it a try last night. I'm at the part where the old guy asks me to find 4 shrines to get the paraglide from him and I climbed up a snowy mountain to get to one I think, and to get to the next one I need to cross the river but I don't have any particularly good clothing , or any food left or any great stamina or anything really. And when I look to the view there a long way down. I feel helpless lol.

Were you able to get past this part? There are ways to cross the river from either side, and ways to stay warm including food at the outside base of the snowy area (and elsewhere), which will give its benefits when cooked, as well as a very mild spoilers
gift from the Old Man
if you find him in the right place in the snowy area.

Red

am I safe to assume they will be in "electric" area? (gerudo and lakeside stable area)
I have only seen them at Beedle's. I've played a similar amount of time.

jnWake

I've seen them near Gerudo (on the mountains) and also in certain thunderous plateau.

The insect that are rare to me are beetles. I've captured like 4 of them in 140 hours because they are easy to miss and they escape quickly.

I've seen them near Gerudo (on the mountains) and also in certain thunderous plateau.

The insect that are rare to me are beetles. I've captured like 4 of them in 140 hours because they are easy to miss and they escape quickly.

Early on in my playtime I used to always put on the full stealth armor set every time I walked into a forested area, so that I can easily catch all kinds of critters before they escape.

Today I cut a tree, it fell on a deer and killed it, lol.

Steiner

Banned
We interviewed the voice of Zelda.

I asked her a bit about the criticism over no playable female character and those who whined about "another stereotypical princess in distress." I also asked her a few fun questions that didn't make the cut for time's sake. She's really fun and nerdy and awkward. She'd be fun to game with.

We also had to make a lot of hard cuts due to both of our awkward ramblings over each other. I feel bad for our editor. We're both just big 'ol awkward turtles, but I had a blast chatting with her. Cheers!

Red

Those beetles beedle buys?

atr0cious

We interviewed the voice of Zelda.

I asked her a bit about the criticism over no playable female character and those who whined about "another stereotypical princess in distress." I also asked her a few fun questions that didn't make the cut for time's sake. She's really fun and nerdy and awkward. She'd be fun to game with.

We also had to make a lot of hard cuts due to both of our awkward ramblings over each other. I feel bad for our editor. We're both just big 'ol awkward turtles, but I had a blast chatting with her. Cheers!
Can't even watch on mobile, it's just a constant ad; nothing but popups to Amazon.

I wish there was more to do. I've seen many complaints about BotW being too big, but I don't agree. I wish it were bigger. I wish it included underwater and underground areas. And I wish it had more extensive combat trials.

Going to have to agree with this one hundred percent.

I couldn't agree more. It will be a sad, sad day when I feel as though I am truly done with this game.

I am beyond excited for the DLC, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we may be slightly underestimating how significant that second part will be when it releases this winter.

Red

I couldn't agree more. It will be a sad, sad day when I feel as though I am truly done with this game.

I am beyond excited for the DLC, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we may be slightly underestimating how significant that second part will be when it releases this winter.
I hope the second DLC is a significant addition. I'm looking forward to the first DLC for the combat trial, the korok mask, and hard mode. I think it will be a good reason to pick the game back up again, and the korok mask will make exploring for the second half of koroks enjoyable for me. But what I really want is new content. A new area, new enemies, new puzzles. I want to recapture that feeling of awe and lust for discovery that the game kept providing the first few dozens of hours.

Krakatoa

Hint :
If you make the old guy a special recipe he will give you a warm jacket

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

They also only appear when it is raining.

Hang around the lightning shrine when it's raining and you'll find them easily enough.

Kevtones

104 shrines...
406 koroks...
180 hours...

No guide and no sensor. Where are these final shrines! I still have 4 shrine quests too.

I sat down for another lengthy session of free exploration earlier in the week and found what might be a reproducible glitch, perhaps the first I've encountered in my own experience. It's in a very hidden location in the northeast that I had somehow missed after all this time with the game, so I'm tagging it.

The hidden location is in
the labyrinth on the northeastern corner of Akkala—and I don't mean the labyrinth itself, but something in it
. You'll know if you've seen it.

In the basement level beneath the labyrinth shrine, where there are a number of decayed Guardians as well as two active ones, I found that as soon as I shot the roving Guardians in the eye with a regular arrow, the knockback made them fall through the floor. This happened both times, and seems to indicate a lack of any terrain to provide collision underneath the basement. Too bad, as I could have used the parts.

Neat little secret area, though: I already had a fully upgraded Diamond Circlet from very early on in my file—indeed, it was one of the first gear pieces I obtained—but it was a pleasant surprise to see another one pop from the chest, and I might have to keep it in mind for a future file if I ever decide to start fresh.

Painguy

Beat the game, 120 shrines, 310 koroks, mastersword, hylian sheild, all divine beasts.

Soooo timeline time yall. Combined timeline?

dLMN8R

Zelda did something to me that I would have never expected: It broke my mind's fixation on using vertically inverted controls!

For as long as I've been gaming, I've always used inverted controls. Especially in first-person shooters, but also most third-person games. It just felt right to me and my overall mindset.

Enter Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I just stick with the default controls for some reason and continue using them for the next 150+ hours.

Then I went back and played Overwatch for the first time in months, and my inverted controls setting suddenly felt completely broken. Now I'm using non-inverted controls in Overwatch and it feels right, for literally the first time in my life :-O

JJShadow

Man, before getting my Switch with this I knew this game was huge, but not THIS huge. I'm around 45 hours in and I've just arrived to Akkala after beating my first divine beast (Zora)

Sitting on 32 shrines and 96 Korok seeds at the moment, I can easily see myself playing this for many months to come lol

Zelda did something to me that I would have never expected: It broke my mind's fixation on using vertically inverted controls!

For as long as I've been gaming, I've always used inverted controls. Especially in first-person shooters, but also most third-person games. It just felt right to me and my overall mindset.

Enter Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I just stick with the default controls for some reason and continue using them for the next 150+ hours.

Then I went back and played Overwatch for the first time in months, and my inverted controls setting suddenly felt completely broken. Now I'm using non-inverted controls in Overwatch and it feels right, for literally the first time in my life :-O

You need to atone your sins and go back to The Right Way ™ of inverted vertical controls. Heathen.

ChuyMasta

I don't get the point of the royal guard equipment. It's some of the most fragile stuff in the game. Seems like it wouldn't be fitting for the royal guard.

I only use the sword/claymore/spear while in flurry mode or while mounting Lynels. But yeah the shield is a joke.

I dont know what else to do. I tried some glitches without success so now Im going after enemy camps. The silver variety of low tier enemies is still interesting in groups.

Painguy

All I know is, it's at the very end of the Skyward Sword timeline. For now.
Its definitely way after that.
Zora palace has tablets that mention OOT stuff and mention it taking place apparently 20k yrs ago lol. Then there is the rock salt, the arbiter grounds from TP, and mirror of twilight, dueling peaks, spectacle rock, temple of time, temple of hylia, spring of power, bridge of hylia, urbosa talking about ganondorf, remnants of dragon roost island. Its all over the place lol.

All this makes me believe that somehow over 10k yrs all the timelines eventually converged, slowly but surely to 1 timeline.

Top Bottom