• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcw

How the hell did we get to 45K? Is this a fluke? I need to know that Trailer Jones is gonna be a part of my life!

Prompto

Banned
I can't wait to hear Jones' score for the 10 minute Kingdom Hearts 3 release date trailer with the Star Wars, Marvel, and Indiana Jones reveal.

dickroach

completely baseless speculation: Brandon donated the last few hundred pledged himself just because he really really wanted to do a trailer show

CyReN

Next Wednesday night..

tumblr_mhv3n8Y68m1qib9pno1_500.gif

2SeeKU

$45K and Trailer Jones!!!

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night and was surprised at the trailers l didn't remember or even know about. This couldn't come at a better time!

Long way to go for 50k, and unlikely to remain at 45k or even 44k by the end of the month as there's always a dip. E3 last year didn't really move the needle much either. I think their second anniversary event will likely bring them above 50k for good, provided they have some cool announcements. I know Bosman wants to move past Final Bosman, but I think once he figures out a way to make a spiritual successor work, even if it's not permanent and season-based, would easily push them past 50k.

Without backdoor shady deals to boost awareness of EZA ( like KF-Gamespot deal ), it's hard to see E3 moving much of a needle.

Mikey Jr.

I guarantee you Jones is like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck".

Hahaha.

Another thing added to his already full E3 plate.

I guarantee you Jones is like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck".

Hahaha.

Another thing added to his already full E3 plate.

He'll get his free pass once it dips below 45k at the end of the month. (most likely)

It'll probably only rise back up to 45k+ after E3, which he then has excuse to do Trailer Score for all the big E3 trailers. =)

Anticol

Banned
Trailer score is one of the shows I miss the most from gt alongside the Final Boseman, I am glad they were able to reach the goal. Hopefully we'll get a ton of great trailers at E3.

Karu

He'll get his free pass once it dips below 45k at the end of the month. (most likely)

It'll probably only rise back up to 45k+ after E3, which he then has excuse to do Trailer Score for all the big E3 trailers. =)
As soon as Box Peaks gets funded expect a drop of ~2k anyway.

First of the month, Patrons get charged. The $45k has to surive that period for the Trailer Score goal to be met. E.g we might still fall below $45k.

The real number is the payout that we get between the 5th to the 8th. Due to some of the big one-time gifts, it's quite likely that deposit will be higher than where the public pledge figure will be at that point.

Volotaire

Trailer Jones is back! I've been waiting for this goal for a long time.

It is also one of the Patreon goals that could allow EZA to reach a much wider audience, depending on if the EZA incarnation of Trailer Jones includes reactions to the trailer alongside the commentary.

There is no case though.

Once someone brings up ocarina of time, it is automatically getting in, making every other game on there moot.

On the last episode, I knew either Mario 64, castlevania, or sf2 were getting in. Just vote on those 3 from the get go and be done with it.

It is going to take probably 10 episodes before we can finally get to an episode where hog voting has actual tension to it and the case you make for the game actually matters.

For instance, I thunk Huber made a better case for Dragon Quest than ian for symphony of the night or even mario 64. But it doesn't matter, because one is dragon quest and the other is castlevania/mario 64.

Making a big deal than it is obviously, but they should make top 10 best games of all time, include all of those at once, and then get back to normal.
1. They aren't playing the games during the deliberations. They aren't going in with no opinions on these games. Do you think when Tom Brady's HoF discussion comes up, the committee is going to sit around the table and review every throw he made? It's the advocate's job to make the case he thinks is the best to convince any naysayers that are in the room. If there aren't any, he has an easy task.

2. The order the great games get in is also (imo) interesting. In addition to compromising a perfectly good selection process, pitting the best of the best against each other is its own form of entertainment.

3. 'normal' should *always* involve leaving great players/games out of the Hall. The system only works if you have a backlog. If everyone's in, it doesn't mean anything.

I do see one somewhat intractable problem with the HoG, which is that there's a (seemingly) somewhat homogeneous voting bloc... the same thing that makes the Allies reliable for consistent reviews and hype (similar taste in games) conspires against certain genres that aren't in the majority's wheelhouse. But it's just a fun stream, and the 'solutions' to this problem ("sorry huber, sorry brad, you can't vote") are dumb and mean.

E: I don't want to come across as too emotional here, just my thoughts on a concept I find very interesting (real world application of fairly a simple voting algorithm that has complex ramifications)

Hasney

Trailer Jones is back! I've been waiting for this goal for a long time.

It is also one of the Patreon goals that could allow EZA to reach a much wider audience, depending on if the EZA incarnation of Trailer Jones includes reactions to the trailer alongside the commentary.

It might not be. That money has to clear at the end of the month for the show to start production. Fingers crossed though!

Budi

It might not be. That money has to clear at the end of the month for the show to start production. Fingers crossed though!

I also don't want to bring anyone down, but it needs to stay over that 45k for other months too for it to continue, isn't this a Boxman bump that we are seeing? E3 is probably the best month in the year to have it over 45k though.

VanWinkle

The real number is the payout that we get between the 5th to the 8th. Due to some of the big one-time gifts, it's quite likely that deposit will be higher than where the public pledge figure will be at that point.

Hey Bloodworth, has Easy Allies been looking into ways to build income from sources outside crowdfunding?

I guess a part of me wonders about the whole $50k studio goal. A studio is a big important step to take, and I worry about putting all of your eggs (ie goals) in that one basket. Is there an eventual goal to be more self-sustainable?

Another thing, perhaps equally important to a studio, is hiring an off-screen person adept at production who does editing, staging, framing, etc. Basically, someone to lighten the load for the allies and in turn also increase production values. I feel like this is something that should have been done a while ago, but, with no goal in sight for it, how's it going to ever happen?

Hasney

I also don't want to bring anyone down, but it needs to stay over that 45k for other months too for it to continue, isn't this a Boxman bump that we are seeing? E3 is probably the best month in the year to have it over 45k though.

Yeah, best to have expectations in check. Some is obviously Box Peek, but I think some is just because it's the most wonderful time of year.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, it'd be ok swapping studio for hiring someone to either run the business, or extra editor, or whatever they need.

If Jones put a video on patreon explaining it, that'd be enough for me.

Wiggy

Wow 45.5k! Big jump since I last looked.

EZA should add a one off 'E3 COVERAGE SPONSOR' tier for this month for £1,000 dollars (or more). And promise to mention them in all there E3 Streams etc.

With there much bigger numbers shouldn't be too hard to find someone (obviously regular sponsors get their usual podcast halftime shoutouts).

Also where the frame trap sponsors at? Now would be a good time to launch that too.

mishakoz

Hey Bloodworth, has Easy Allies been looking into ways to build income from sources outside crowdfunding?

I guess a part of me wonders about the whole $50k studio goal. A studio is a big important step to take, and I worry about putting all of your eggs (ie goals) in that one basket. Is there an eventual goal to be more self-sustainable?

They do have other income sources via twitch (probably a few thousand $) and youtube ad revenue and then they just got the GoG sponsership. But this is now a patron biz so their main support is gonna be through patreon, but it can Excel in the best way if their are more patrons and less load on each patron. 10000 patrons donating $5 each is far better than 5000 patrons donating $10 each for example.

Another thing, perhaps equally important to a studio, is hiring an off-screen person adept at production who does editing, staging, framing, etc. Basically, someone to lighten the load for the allies and in turn also increase production values. I feel like this is something that should have been done a while ago, but, with no goal in sight for it, how's it going to ever happen?

I'd love to do this for them. :)

Hasney

Brandon did say on Cup of Jones that this would be a hire they would be looking for if they were ever in a position to.

It's interesting to me that you consider what we're doing now to not be self-sustaining, as I think in many ways, it's more sustainable than the advertising model we were on at GT. I come from a background of listener-supported radio and have been on both sides. I've both had a job at a station, and then have supported another station for years. Those stations do have corporate sponsors and partners as well, but it's safe to say that the average listener is by far the biggest source of income. I've seen those stations not only survive for far longer than many commercial stations, but even thrive and grow in many ways. We certainly can get better at it, but it's a proven model that people will invest in content that they find valuable.

And really, the alternatives aren't great. Traditional advertising is so numbers focused that you have to constantly be on the hamster wheel of pumping out hits and click-bait often takes priority over anything of substance or interest.
We've seen how YouTube channels can take massive hits simply based on changes to the advertising system.
More integrated ads like product placement can be shady and again compromise the content to focus on what advertisers want.
Subscriptions can work, but also have a chilling effect on sharing, and really if someone's paying a subscription, they want it to be like Netflix or Amazon where they get a lot of variety for little money.
And then there's the idea of selling episode by episode which likewise doesn't make a lot of sense.

So I feel like getting support directly from viewers is the most sensible and sustainable option for what we do. Not only that, but Patreon as a whole has grown by a great amount since we started. While our numbers have grown quite a bit since we started, a great number of new creators have come in and surpassed us in both dollars and the number of patrons. The audience in general is more interested in this form of payment.

We absolutely appreciate all everyone has done to make this work, and I don't feel that we're in some parasitic relationship. It's just a different model. Instead of us setting a price for our product and telling everyone to pay up front. We do what we can and ask people to pay what they want. The more people that pay, the more we can do.

All of that said, we're not closed to other types of sponsors, and we do explore those options. But sponsors have to make sense for us and they especially have to make sense to our viewers.

This is certainly something Brandon has mentioned in the past. I don't know if we ever would make it an explicit goal on Patreon, but there are roles that we feel could be filled to help lighten the load, and we are taking steps that would make that more practical.

Finally watched Hall of Greats and now I can come back to this thread.

Don continues to be the greatest when it comes to this sort of thing. I hated Black Flag but he made it sound so magical, and I have no opinion one way or the other about Sim City 4 but, honestly, if I knew nothing about any of these games beforehand Sim City would be the first one I'd choose to play because he sold it way better than everyone else sold theirs. (Although Blood's visual aids were absolutely phenomenal!)

Funny that they were all quick to point out that both of Blood's nominees have made it in and completely ignore the fact that both of Damiani's choices topped both polls.

Also funny that Kyle managed to stop Huber from choosing WoW but not remembering two people chose Super Mario 64. I mean how could that be possible?

Brad's voting was some shady shit.

Good stream. As expected. I can't remember. Is this a twice yearly thing? Or 4 times a year? I think they should make it 4 times a year just to get the obvious games out of the way.

YOU BASTARDS!

Karu

Good idea, probably set expectations about the monthly drop and sustaining that amount to keep it as a regular show.
While he mentions that, his tweets generally sounded more like jolly-good Christmas kid Jones :D

"45K, baby. Let's all go to the trailers."
"The harsh truth is that we always have to wait for the first of next month, but if the first month of Trailer Jones is E3..?!?!? OH BOY."

Hasney

You can just watch Huber's face the entire Syndrome for a rollercoaster of hype and emotion

Yeah, Huber is amazing that he can take all that hype and build the excitement of other people, yet still not be disappointed when E3 actually happens.

While he mentions that, his tweets generally sounded more like jolly-good Christmas kid Jones :D

"45K, baby. Let's all go to the trailers."
"The harsh truth is that we always have to wait for the first of next month, but if the first month of Trailer Jones is E3..?!?!? OH BOY."

Ha, glad he's pumped! Please stay above!
totally may just be looking at my budget to see if I can help keep it above....

I always love when we get to see some Tenchu hype.Thank you, Brad! (Jones was loving it too.)

If Nioh had more stealth kill animations, a grappling hook, and a better suited AI, it would have been a pretty awesome Tenchu game. I loved all the ninjutsu and item use in Nioh, which was always my favorite part of Tenchu.

Although, Wrath of Heaven was my favorite Tenchu, so I may not be considered a true fan. Not sure how that works.

Axass

Yeah, a 1000k sponsorship thing for E3 only would have been great. As for the Frame Trap sponsorships, I think they're going to announce the tier at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom