• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The world needs more Pre-Rendered Backgrounds!

legacyzero

Banned
ibmXtc4q8CUT8K.JPG

I don't know if it nostalgia goggles, or my deep love for the previous generations in games, but I REALLY miss games that utilized Pre-Rendered backdrops.

There's a certain level of charm in games that had this. Can you imagine a a game this gen, or next that utilized only these?? Super hi-res backgrounds!

Games like the old RE's, of course Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, etc! I miss those days, and perhaps games THESE days could benefit from such a method.

Let's talk pre-rendered!

Salsa

in 2012? not really

there was a certain charm but in this day and age it would be hard to see through the shittyness that pre-rendered backgrounds would mean. The disconnect between 3D models and 2D backgrounds is just too great now, specially when you count modern lighting/shading/etc

- J - D -

we LITERALLY just had this thread, the OP even has a screen from the same game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491994

Hey, my thread!

Holy crap..

So I'm not the only one? lol as much as I'm on GAF, you'd think I would have saw that.

Nope, you're not, though in the days since I first made that thread, I've been wavering on the idea of bringing back pre-rendered backdrops in games. Like I said in that thread (and like Rickenslacker says just above), pre-rendered backgrounds are hindered by advances in screen resolutions. They upscale poorly.

I've come to accept that part of the reason why I loved pre-rendered backgrounds was because of the locked camera and predetermined camera angles. I think we should see more of that in games.

Durante

Prerendered means one optimal resolution which means fuck that.
You can just prerender at the highest feasible resolution and then downscale that.

I think Project Eternity is in a good position to pull it off since they don't have to consider memory-challenged platforms such as consoles or tablets.

legacyzero

Banned
Hey, my thread!

Nope, you're not, though in the days since I first made that thread, I've been wavering on the idea of bringing back pre-rendered backdrops in games. Like I said in that thread (and like Rickenslacker says just above), pre-rendered backgrounds are hindered by advances in screen resolutions. They upscale poorly.

I've come to accept that part of the reason why I loved pre-rendered backgrounds was because of the locked camera and predetermined camera angles. I think we should see more of that in games.

You can just prerender at the highest feasible resolution and then downscale that.

I think Project Eternity is in a good position to pull it off since they don't have to consider memory-challenged platforms such as consoles or tablets.
This was what I was thinking. Why not just have it at a super high resolution that just scales to fit?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Prerendered scenes today could easily be used without there being that disparity you saw in older games. I mean even oddworld today still looks absolutely amazing, the scope of that game was unreal. People saying it's not needed with today's tech are delusional

There's room for it, it's just not being used

Unicorn

This was what I was thinking. Why not just have it at a super high resolution that just scales to fit?
Yeah, I isn't that the whole point of pre rendered? Something so grand and detailed it can't be rendered real time, ie something so dense in detail that it would be super high res.

Top Bottom