• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Demoli

I'd like ome help with choosing an arcade stick if possible.

I'm under a 100 pound budget, and I'd like to get a PC/Xbox arcade stick, however most sticks on the stores i go to are increadibly expensive, as in 210pounds+ for a madcatz SF or tekken stick, So i turned into amazon and these two options seem decent enough:

Datel Pro Joystick

and

Universal Arcade Stick

Which one should I get or, if both turn out to be crap, can you pelase advise me to a decent one?

Thanks in advance

I was going to suggest THIS, but unfortunately it's not available. As far as bargain sticks goes, that's my favorite of the few that I've tried. Between those two, I know nothing about either. Neither looks that hot to me from the looks of it. If I find something though I'll mention it.

TGMIII

I'd like ome help with choosing an arcade stick if possible.

I'm under a 100 pound budget, and I'd like to get a PC/Xbox arcade stick, however most sticks on the stores i go to are increadibly expensive, as in 210pounds+ for a madcatz SF or tekken stick, So i turned into amazon and these two options seem decent enough:

Datel Pro Joystick

and

Universal Arcade Stick

Which one should I get or, if both turn out to be crap, can you pelase advise me to a decent one?

Thanks in advance

My friends actually own both of them and they feel pretty horrible in comparison to the madcatz SE & TE or pretty much any of the newer Hori sticks. You could go with the madcatz SE or a Hori if you're willing to go a touch over 100 but honestly if it's your first stick you could go with either of those two sticks you linked and then upgrade sometime in the future if you feel like you want something better.

Demoli

Thanks for the help, I'll probably buy the Universal Pad, and If I find it unssufficing then I'll upgrade after christmas.

Just for clarification, they are both automaticly configured on the PC like the 360 controller right? No need for external software?

number386

I thought they fixed the problem with newer models?

They did. Both my MadCatz PS3 sticks work fine on PC.

My PS3 Arcade FightStick (TE and Standard) or PS3 FightPad is not working on my computer.
Posted by Michael Browning on 12 December 2011 05:33 PM
The PS3 SFIV TE/SE FightStick and FightPad does not officially support the PC, but it should work with PCs that do not make use of a NVIDIA® chipset. If a workaround is discovered, we will post more information for you here.

http://support.madcatz.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/54/fightsticks

Are you sure? The answer is dated december 2011. Just because it works with your computer doesn't mean the problem has been fixed. My computer doen't even use the nvidia chipset and other people who are having the same problems doesn't either. The problem is madcatz used the UHCI - USB 1.1 Proprietary Intel Standard rather than the open standard which is why the sticks aren't compatible with all PC's.

Duxxy3

My sfxt fight stick pro works with my pc. Same pc won't detect my mvc2 te.

Shame that the older models were overlooked.

Vitacat

Posted this yesterday in the old thread...

157bb4f8d31511e1b62722000a1e8b36_7.jpg

The HORI RAP V3-SA Kai and VX-SA Kai. US versions (yes it's coming out here). Early. ;)

I heard there's a Seimitsu version of the Kai in Japan.

That's the one I would prefer to get (for 360). Any possibility to get one in the USA?

notworksafe

http://support.madcatz.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/54/fightsticks

Are you sure? The answer is dated december 2011. Just because it works with your computer doesn't mean the problem has been fixed. My computer doen't even use the nvidia chipset and other people who are having the same problems doesn't either. The problem is madcatz used the UHCI - USB 1.1 Proprietary Intel Standard rather than the open standard which is why the sticks aren't compatible with all PC's.

That is for the SFIV stick/pad which are no longer being made. The new MCZ products works just fine. Even the older Super SFIV stuff works fine too. IIRC only the first run of sticks for Vanila SF4 had issues.

The general rule I've always used is Chun-Li stick and anything newer will work on PCs.

Vitacat

I'm curious how many people have had a chance to try the new Hori Fighting Edge, and what they think of it. It seems really slick from the videos I've seen, but that says nothing about how it feels.

I own one. Basically, it's pretty great.

PROS:
- looks amazing
- layout is superbly comfortable
- stick is great (I like it better than Sanwa)
- buttons are pretty good, and easily replaced if one prefers Sanwa
- LEDs are pretty badass IMO

CONS:
- hate the touch panel, prefer real buttons

Running Wild

Neo Member
I love the Hori SCV stick.

1. Tons of wrist room and screws aren't in the way.
2. Super Secret Start Button Trap Door.
3. Namco's arcade button layout.

horicustom-1.jpg

My only gripe with the stick is the nuts from the screws on the front panel are prone to falling out when unscrewing.

Infinite

I'm not sure how well idoling and fighting games go together but I'm doing an arcade stick design inspired by Berryz Koubou. I'll post the design so far in a bit.

I've finally got my new DIY stick set up and working and have begun the process of 'learning stick'. I'm a long time pad player and my only real experience with fighting games is with the dualshock controller.

Does anyone have some tips for getting accustomed to my new stick? I've started by trying to get through all the trials in SFxT and am experimenting with height and holding the joystick on my lap but I was curious if anyone has some experience to share.

I love the Hori SCV stick.

1. Tons of wrist room and screws aren't in the way.
2. Super Secret Start Button Trap Door.
3. Namco's arcade button layout.

horicustom-1.jpg

My only gripe with the stick is the nuts from the screws on the front panel are prone to falling out when unscrewing.

Your's looks great! And I'm totally in the same boat with you. Such a solid stick all around. Hopefully I'll rock some art in the next month or so with mine, but I'm actually pretty fond of the stock art. Would've got the Gundam Extreme VS version, but it was a tad pricey in comparison.

Still love my babies though:

a83e7accc44811e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

674b581cc44a11e1bef722000a1e8bb5_7.jpg

Gotta grab more screws for my HRAP3. :S

Running Wild

Neo Member
Did you have any trouble getting off the original art work?

Reviews I read about the stick before I bought it said it was difficult to get the art off, but it's actually very easy if you just use a hair dryer while removing it. Comes off cleanly.

Also when accessing it from the bottom panel, Hori hid a screw behind a sticker, I almost overlooked it lol. Really sneaky...

vulva

It's disgusting how badly I want a fighting edge, but I feel like I should hold off until I know if I can get one dual modded without losing all the fancy features.

It's disgusting how badly I want a fighting edge, but I feel like I should hold off until I know if I can get one dual modded without losing all the fancy features.

The only way you could conceivably achieve this, short of designing a new PCB from scratch, is to have the PCBs from both versions of the Fighting EDGE in one enclosure, and there's still no guarantee it will behave as expected.

The 360 Fighting EDGE is gimped anyway - one of the primary features (the on-the-fly button remapping) doesn't even work on the four main buttons.

Loving this thread. Bigups!

Here a few of my own. Favorites or what have you. The TE is an old db25 dual mod with a switch in the cord compartment. I also run joystickvault. Camera really picked up all the dust. damn. lol.

EKtkJ.jpg

4Y1hU.jpg

Vitacat

Wow, what a useless product.

In all honesty, even if my 360 FE had non-gimped button remapping, I still wouldn't use it.

It's only annoying because it's a broken feature that fully works on the PS3 version. But is it a feature you will use? That's the important question to ask in this case.

razu

I love my little collection. I'll probably be with all of it next year when I move to Maryland but here is what I have in storage in a closet in Laguna (where I'm on vacation right now). It is about a third, with another third in storage in San Diego, and the rest of my sticks in Germany. Messy, but I love just picking a stick and using it for a game for a few weeks then putting it back and grabbing something else for another game. Next year I plan on putting them all out in my game room. Think I have about 85 now. I love them and I love the fact that collecting them is a hobby absolutely nobody cares about. My fourth hobby after cooking, indian movies, nintendo. This thread keeps me going.

DSC00609.jpg

I was feeling extravagant in buying a Q4RAF. You put things into perspective ;)

I also have a Hori RAP, a sanwa modded fighting stick for PS3 and an EX2 for 360. But they're all for different platforms so that squares off okay in my mind. The cool thing is that now I have 2 sticks for PS3, so I can train my 9yo son up in SFIV!

If money was no object I could see myself with a room full of sticks though. It would be my equivalent of shoes if I was a lady :D

razu

I can barely do a Hadouken from the right side of the screen

You are in my 1991. I was 15! Good times :)

OMG, 21 years ago..? Can't be...??

The Street Fighter machine used to have red joysticks that had a wicked spring to them that if you pushed to one side and let go would twanggggggg. What were they called...? I'd love an arcade stick with one of those joysticks, (I did used to have the World Warrior arcade cab in my kitchen at one point and it had that stick - can't remember what it was called though...). Whoa, just checked, and theplace I bought it from for £200 in 1999 is selling them for £2300 now!

Anyway, the sticks kind of looked like this:

1342787010_img0.jpg

Not this:

happ_joystick.jpg

LOL, I used to have one of these too:

Capcom-Arcade-Fight-Stick2.jpeg

Dachande

Might as well post my meagre collection...

The DC and PS2 Tekken 4 sticks were my first ones. I can feel how they're sub-par these days, but hey, they did me great at the time. Lots of Third Strike, Alpha 3 and VF4 on those babies.

The trash Gamecube 4gamers thing was given to me by a friend who didn't want it anymore, in the hope that it might work with the Wii so I could play Tatsunoko. It doesn't though. I should probably throw it away, actually...

Obviously the TE and Virtua Stick are my pride and joys. Next up is probably a Qanba, so I'll have 2 sticks per HD console for when friends come round.

Lothars

I just got my EVO PS3 Stick in the mall with the madcatz carrying case.

I am so happy I got it, It's so beautiful, I know have 4 sticks Marvel vs Capcom 2 TE for 360, Marvel vs Capcom 3 TE for PS3, UMVC3 Hori Stick for 360, and now the EVO stick for PS3.

I still want at least one more stick but I am gonna wait and see though it's awful tempting to buy the sfxtekken V.S Sticks.

Yes Boss!

I was feeling extravagant in buying a Q4RAF. You put things into perspective ;)

I also have a Hori RAP, a sanwa modded fighting stick for PS3 and an EX2 for 360. But they're all for different platforms so that squares off okay in my mind. The cool thing is that now I have 2 sticks for PS3, so I can train my 9yo son up in SFIV!

If money was no object I could see myself with a room full of sticks though. It would be my equivalent of shoes if I was a lady :D

I'm probably going to take a year or two off from buying sticks...let the new generation shake out. Got the EVO and I really want the Diamond VLX then that will likely be it. Really want to pick up a few new Candy Cabs instead, specifically an Egret 2. Did not get anything in Japan...though did almost get those two Ascii DC optical sticks (the SNK/Capcom variants).

I'm probably going to take a year or two off from buying sticks...let the new generation shake out. Got the EVO and I really want the Diamond VLX then that will likely be it. Really want to pick up a few new Candy Cabs instead, specifically an Egret 2. Did not get anything in Japan...though did almost get those two Ascii DC optical sticks (the SNK/Capcom variants).

Did you get that Seimitsu lever? Still waiting to see lever replacement options on a Fighting EDGE.

I'm also sort of wondering if it's possible to transplant the Fighting EDGE's lever into another stick with a more standard mounting plate.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yes Boss!

Real talk. I want to go back to cabs. No time to search. That's the real grind.

I'm going to get a TTT2 one eventually (Noir cab), after that I will be satisfied.

I can never stop buying retail sticks though :/

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I just got my EVO PS3 Stick in the mall with the madcatz carrying case.

I am so happy I got it, It's so beautiful, I know have 4 sticks Marvel vs Capcom 2 TE for 360, Marvel vs Capcom 3 TE for PS3, UMVC3 Hori Stick for 360, and now the EVO stick for PS3.

I still want at least one more stick but I am gonna wait and see though it's awful tempting to buy the sfxtekken V.S Sticks.

I'm glad you like the EVO stick :)

I'm surprised we still have a small stash left. I thought they would have been eaten up by now... but I think some people don't know we have em! :/

Grecco

You are in my 1991. I was 15! Good times :)

OMG, 21 years ago..? Can't be...??

The Street Fighter machine used to have red joysticks that had a wicked spring to them that if you pushed to one side and let go would twanggggggg. What were they called...? I'd love an arcade stick with one of those joysticks, (I did used to have the World Warrior arcade cab in my kitchen at one point and it had that stick - can't remember what it was called though...). Whoa, just checked, and theplace I bought it from for £200 in 1999 is selling them for £2300 now!

Anyway, the sticks kind of looked like this:

1342787010_img0.jpg

Not this:

happ_joystick.jpg

LOL, I used to have one of these too:

Capcom-Arcade-Fight-Stick2.jpeg

Always wanted that Capcom one i got this one instead for christmas

http://www.nesrepairshop.com/online_shopping/index.php?productID=473&PHPSESSID=7445a

Wish i still had it.

Hex

Banned
Anyone know what size the plexi screws are for the qanba q4 RAF 3 in 1? (6 button ice blue if it matters).
It really was the saddest thing out of the box, the plexi is not held down evenly and the stupid stickers they cover the screws with left gummy goo in them and made it hellish.
I am hoping screws with better tops may help the bowing.
One day if I ever get a reply in the srk stick art request forum I will also change the art.

Never had iissues with my two madcatz tes (much love to Markman) and I look forward to picking a Hori to try soon.

razu

Anyone know what size the plexi screws are for the qanba q4 RAF 3 in 1? (6 button ice blue if it matters).
It really was the saddest thing out of the box, the plexi is not held down evenly and the stupid stickers they cover the screws with left gummy goo in them and made it hellish.
I am hoping screws with better tops may help the bowing.
One day if I ever get a reply in the srk stick art request forum I will also change the art.

Never had iissues with my two madcatz tes (much love to Markman) and I look forward to picking a Hori to try soon.

Sorry, can't help with the screws, just replying to confirm the stick is a bit... underwhelming aesthetically speaking. Especially considering the wonderful bow that it comes in! Functioanlly it's fine for my needs, the 3-in-1 is killer, and well, it's a board with sanwa bits poking out. I can live with a few scummy screw tops.

I think I might get a spare plexi and just spray paint it a solid colour. Could look okay...?

knee

If anyone has a few (3 or 4) Sanwa 30mm that they've pulled and aren't going to use, please let me know.

Color doesn't matter, as I'm trying to Frankenstein a stick together.

Thanks!

So I bought the Hori SCV stick and my plan was to just make it all black, but then I thought "Why not throw the Namco logo on there?"

Problem is I don't know where to put it. This is what I'm thinking right now

I made it grey so it's easier to see where everything is

Does that look good where it is?

Size/location whatever. If it isn't just right I'll notice it one day and it'll kill me inside

I love my little collection. I'll probably be with all of it next year when I move to Maryland but here is what I have in storage in a closet in Laguna (where I'm on vacation right now). It is about a third, with another third in storage in San Diego, and the rest of my sticks in Germany. Messy, but I love just picking a stick and using it for a game for a few weeks then putting it back and grabbing something else for another game. Next year I plan on putting them all out in my game room. Think I have about 85 now. I love them and I love the fact that collecting them is a hobby absolutely nobody cares about. My fourth hobby after cooking, indian movies, nintendo. This thread keeps me going.

DSC00609.jpg

Maryland welcomes you, and your wonderful sticks.

bumpkin

If anyone has a few (3 or 4) Sanwa 30mm that they've pulled and aren't going to use, please let me know.

Color doesn't matter, as I'm trying to Frankenstein a stick together.

Thanks!
I recently replaced four of the white ones in my TE Fightstick with different colors; probably pulling a few more before I'm done.

Duxxy3

360 version of the hori sc5 stick is under $90 at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874179013

the ps3 version is sitting at just under 100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879994026

So I bought the Hori SCV stick and my plan was to just make it all black, but then I thought "Why not throw the Namco logo on there?"

Problem is I don't know where to put it. This is what I'm thinking right now

I made it grey so it's easier to see where everything is

Does that look good where it is?

Size/location whatever. If it isn't just right I'll notice it one day and it'll kill me inside

Looks good to me. Nice and simple.

Yes Boss!

Yes Boss!

Real talk. I want to go back to cabs. No time to search. That's the real grind.

I'm going to get a TTT2 one eventually (Noir cab), after that I will be satisfied.

I can never stop buying retail sticks though :/

True, a pain to go searching. Though, lots of great Candies have come up in lots of regions this year so far.

Seeing dozens (hundreds) in a small space, or even 10 Vewlix machines all playing Persona Fighter was pretty crazy.

Oh yeah, Persona stick just shipped!

StarCreator,

Nope, did not get any parts ;-( Got there around 5pm and really only had time to shop for Saturn games. Plan on just popping an order off to akihabarashop.jp.

Yes Boss!

I'm in the USA. Can I purchase from Amazon JP?

Gotta use a forwarding service (adds about $95 for shipping to US). And our exchange rate sux...stick is about $195. Or be lucky with a friend in Japan (still gonna have to ship it back eventually though).

Top Bottom