• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

onQ123

No points to prove here, I just took this shot and thought it came out nicely. Forza 7.
37593719696_2d38af02c4_o.png

Nice

John Wick

I will say this, the shaders for all the mentioned racing games doesn't hold a candle to Drive clubs. Dozens of texture layers are used to alter SSR/reflections versus a flat base + cube maps. I am disappointed in PD for what seems like a lazy attempt given the competition. No tire flex like drive club, total non interaction for the environments, no cloud movement (which GT5/6 had) and to boot low resolution sky boxes.

Just them slapping a real life picture on polys does not constitute technical prowess, just a good eye.

Yeah lazy Devs. Except you forget Driveclub runs at 30fps. If your so skilled maybe you could lead a team and make the perfect racing game at 60fps on limited hardware???? Easy right?

John Wick

Why do people who argue about colors and realism ignore the unique HDR and wide color implementation of GTS? or is it that they have not really tried the game? the difference in a good screen is huge in realism compared to any other car game. This is not seen in gifs, game captures or yt vids.

There wouldn't be an argument if half of the people arguing against actually had a HDR TV in the first place or even had a TV calibrated properly and seen the games first hand instead of relying on dodgy YT videos as an argument basis

John Wick

No points to prove here, I just took this shot and thought it came out nicely. Forza 7.
37593719696_2d38af02c4_o.png

It's well known from previous threads your an Xbox and Forza guy. I don't know why you feel the need to justify yourself at the start of your post? That usually shows the true nature of the post.

It's well known from previous threads your an Xbox and Forza guy. I don't know why you feel the need to justify yourself at the start of your post? That usually shows the true nature of the post.

I think you're reading a little too far into it there. I was stating that there's nothing to prove because this thread has been particularly "active" in the past few days with the GTS demo flaring things up. I just happened to take a photo that I really liked and wanted to show it off.

Also, I play Forza on PC and probably haven't booted an Xbox in about a year

pixelbox

Yeah lazy Devs. Except you forget Driveclub runs at 30fps. If your so skilled maybe you could lead a team and make the perfect racing game at 60fps on limited hardware???? Easy right?
Have a seat dude, i never said "lazy devs". You forget DC runs a good bit higher than 30 fps.

Gestault

Easy to forget the ca4 count, true. Just wish for more dynamic things.

Driveclub managed a lot of variables all at once in a way that I think really sparked a lot of people's imagination. That kind of immersion makes the whole scene feel more exciting, regardless of moment-to-moment visuals.

pixelbox

Driveclub managed a lot of variables all at once in a way that I think really sparked a lot of people's imagination. That kind of immersion makes the whole scene feel more exciting, regardless of moment-to-moment visuals.
It's true. They knew how what to put on the screen.

KageMaru

If you have an HDR tv you can youtube it for the time being.

I do have an HDR TV but would still prefer to play these games in person. Depending on the source of the video, the quality could be questionable. Though I'm sure there are some nice examples out there.

There wouldn't be an argument if half of the people arguing against actually had a HDR TV in the first place or even had a TV calibrated properly and seen the games first hand instead of relying on dodgy YT videos as an argument basis

Yeah this is why I prefer to play these games.

Gestault

It's true. They knew how what to put on the screen.

I don't have the footage on this hard drive, but one of my favorite moments visually was just a mostly overcast scene in a snowy/icy scene, and a swath of sunlight cuts through the clouds and hits a section on the mountains in the background. It's brighter than anything in the foreground or play area, and it just feels cool. Zero effect on gameplay, but that random background activity just made this whole other layer to the experience.

pixelbox

I don't have the footage on this hard drive, but one of my favorite moments visually was just a mostly overcast scene in a snowy/icy scene, and a swath of sunlight cuts through the clouds and hits a section on the mountains in the background. It's brighter than anything in the foreground or play area, and it just feels cool. Zero effect on gameplay, but that random background activity just made this whole other layer to the experience.
I feel PD can do better though. Just look at gt 5/6

eso76

I don't have the footage on this hard drive, but one of my favorite moments visually was just a mostly overcast scene in a snowy/icy scene, and a swath of sunlight cuts through the clouds and hits a section on the mountains in the background.

Yeah, in general sun piercing a small hole through the clouds and shining on a mountain far far away in the distance are Driveclub's most awe inspiring moments.
I had hoped we'd see more stuff like that in open world titles this gen but it didn't happen.

Yeah, in general sun piercing a small hole through the clouds and shining on a mountain far far away in the distance are Driveclub's most awe inspiring moments.
I had hoped we'd see more stuff like that in open world titles this gen but it didn't happen.
Maybe Horizon: ZD has moments like that? Haven't played enough of it to really know.

Yup yup, I was really glad when they confirmed that patch.
Awesome. God I hope taco bell doesn't disqualify me, haha.

There's something about the cars in both GT and Forza that is slightly off to me.

In Forza it seems the polygonal complexity is slightly less. In GT, there's something about the lighting that makes them look like plastic, hot wheels cars.

Momentary

Banned
4K Forza 7 In-Game Wheel View running at 128FPS. Forza is working some serious magic with their AA solution. It's crazy how smooth edges look on this game while running so well.

36934618404_a697bb2648_o.jpg

onQ123

There's something about the cars in both GT and Forza that is slightly off to me.

In Forza it seems the polygonal complexity is slightly less. In GT, there's something about the lighting that makes them look like plastic, hot wheels cars.

You had plastic hot wheels?

Sebmugi

Doesn't look like SSR to me, I can't see anything that appears to be Dynamic being reflected, the car itself being the main giveaway.

Are there any physics objects on the map such as cones or tire walls? If they're movable and reflected that'd be an easy way to check.

yes orange cones are dynamic and reflected on the ground .. i will make a screens ^^

This stuff really sticks out on 50" 4k screens. I actually moved from my 4k to my 40" 1080p and things aren't as distracting.

Note: I've only spent a few hours with the game and when it comes to actual racing I've only been doing the Driver Tests and the one Arcade race above.

I do love the lighting, I just wish the track assets were a bit nicer.

and in breaking news, a 1080p game upscaled to 4k looks worse than on a native display!!!!!! bbbbut what about the magic scaling improvement due to being an equal multiple!!!!

They really need to increase the intensity of the tail lights, add some flare. It looks so flat.

You'd be throwing up. Still holding off on this expansion until X comes out.

I agree, unsure how it looks running on a HDR set but one thing that did impress me was the way that the lights on GT:S seemed to glow and dazzle in the rear view mirror.

I still love DRIVECLUBVR for all it's faults with image quality, when a car comes behind you and the whole headset lights up from the headlights from behind over the cockpit it's something you just don't get on a flat screen.

FH3 looks amazing and thinking I might need to get on my laptop.

Anarion07

I agree, unsure how it looks running on a HDR set but one thing that did impress me was the way that the lights on GT:S seemed to glow and dazzle in the rear view mirror.

I still love DRIVECLUBVR for all it's faults with image quality, when a car comes behind you and the whole headset lights up from the headlights from behind over the cockpit it's something you just don't get on a flat screen.

The things I'd do for a pro patch with HDR on DriveClub.
Maybe they plan on doing one when they provide it for free (again) on PS Plus.
I'm sure they're planning that.
Right?

right? :(

MilkyJoe

GT S breaklights are really well done. I remember when people were asking for it in PC1, and when they patched it in with road reflections, everything just came to life.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom