• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

swoon

my wife and i will be in seattle thur-monday of this week for the dismemberment plan show. we are both vegetarian fwiw and we are looking to add record stores and repertory movie theatres (or midnight shows) to our list.

art

SAM
SAAM
olympic sculpture park

parks

discovery
volunteer
gas works

buildings
the chapel of st. ignatius
seattle public library
ballard public library
emp
i think she has some random houses or something on our list.

stores
bliss
velocity
finch and sparrow
les amis

lots of more i'm not going to type out - they are long those lines.

dinner
tango
wild ginger
sultra
cascina spinasse

lunch/desert
bakery nouveau

... i'll have to update this later our google map is messed up.

any suggestions? meet ups? cosmic bus?

dLMN8R

My fiancee has Celiacs (severe wheat allergy) so we go to Flying Apron a lot. The entire place is gluten free, but also vegan, yet somehow they have some of the best baked goods that my wheat- and meat-loving palate has ever tasted.

They have a few locations around the city.

Check out "Singles Going Steady" in Belltown when you're at the sculpture park. Only one I know but I've only been here a couple years. Also check out Shorty's while you're there, it's an interesting joint. While in Ballard, check out the Troll. "Art of the Table" is a very cool spot for dinner and I'm a fan of Cafe Campagne for breakfast. Pirosky's in the market are great.

I don't get out much and pretty much stick to downtown but this might help.

necron99

Record stores: Depends on music but,
Platnium records- electronic, club, and imports
Wall of Sound - small shop, but gets a lot of intresting music. used and vintage
Zion's Gate Records- lots of stuff, Dub, reggae, electronic, and metal, plus its less then a block from platnium.
Jive time records : Eclectic mix of stuff, used and vintage

also sonic boom, in queen ann and I think they still have a decent current vinyl selection.

dLMN8R

PetriP-TNT said:
If you want to sit down for a cup of coffee I hear good things about Café Nervosa
In recent months I've grown attached to the quality of the coffee and lattes served at Cafe Ladro - they're a chain with a bunch of locations in the city and on the east side, but definitely my favorite.

If you're looking for breakfast food, do not miss out on 5 Spot! Easily some of the most amazing dishes and fantastic coffee to go along with it.

Speaking of 5 Spot, they serve Stumptown Coffee. Stumptown coffee is utterly fantastic, and they have a dedicated shop in Seattle if you were interested.

Le-mo

I've lived in Seattle for 13 years and I've never been to any of the places listed in the OP except for SAM.

swoon

dLMN8R said:
In recent months I've grown attached to the quality of the coffee and lattes served at Cafe Ladro - they're a chain with a bunch of locations in the city and on the east side, but definitely my favorite.

If you're looking for breakfast food, do not miss out on 5 Spot! Easily some of the most amazing dishes and fantastic coffee to go along with it.

Speaking of 5 Spot, they serve Stumptown Coffee. Stumptown coffee is utterly fantastic, and they have a dedicated shop in Seattle if you were interested.

brilliant!

pretty stoked for this trip, seattle seems pretty rad.

Diablos

Seattle and much of the state of Washington are so, so amazing. I was last there in '03. I grew up on the wrong side of the country.

You mentioned EMP in the OP, but since you're headed in there I would check out the sci-fi museum as well, I believe it's the same pass for both. Since your posting on GAF I'm assuming it's something you would be interested in it. Also, semi-obvious but I haven't seen it mentioned: Pike Place Market. Now's not the best time of year for it, and it is under renovation IIRC, but it is a unique seattle location if you have the time.

Baywatch

Neo Member
Records:
Everyday Music in Capital Hill (Elliot Bay Bookstore is right there too)
Bop Street Records in Ballard.
Sonic Boom

Dining:
Shorty's in Belletown for the best beer and pinball.
Victrola or Bauhaus for coffee

swoon

GhastlyGaseous said:
You mentioned EMP in the OP, but since you're headed in there I would check out the sci-fi museum as well, I believe it's the same pass for both. Since your posting on GAF I'm assuming it's something you would be interested in it. Also, semi-obvious but I haven't seen it mentioned: Pike Place Market. Now's not the best time of year for it, and it is under renovation IIRC, but it is a unique seattle location if you have the time.

we were going to look at the structure, is the content compelling? i couldn't get a sense of exhibition quality from website.

we are staying near at ace near pike's place and a lot of the little shops like Pirosky's and the crumpet shop seems pretty fun and worth wandering around during the morning.

coldvein

Banned
didn't know there was a sci fi museum. neat.

speaking of beer and pinball... are there any bars you guys know of that have good arcade machines?

dLMN8R

Since you're in town for a good number of days, you should find a way to trip slightly outside of Seattle to at least one of the amazing hikes out here. Weather permitting, of course :)

Mount Si is astounding, but a bit difficult depending on your fitness level. It's 4 miles each way, and has a vertical climb of just over 3/4 of a mile. It's about 30-35 miles from Seattle.

8916_706742839571_5012885_42560095_4823157_n.jpg

Tiger Mountain is my next-favorite trail. Fairly steep incline - about 2000 feet in 2.5 miles - and it also has some absolutely gorgeous views. It's about 20 miles from Seattle.

24102_10100171188009674_2300441_61028304_3725754_n.jpg
24102_10100171188214264_2300441_61028312_2231836_n.jpg
26224_10100176412320114_2300441_61175228_2072991_n.jpg
26224_10100176412459834_2300441_61175240_1273562_n.jpg

And finally, if you want something a bit easier (but still pretty awesome), is Rattlesnake Ridge. 2 miles each way, tamer elevation. It's about 35 miles from Seattle.

24102_10100170556425374_2300441_61018515_4686137_n.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
god that place looks awesome/insane.

The pinball theme is intense, as are the huge captain's chairs, but those steampunk bartenders in back were almost enough to scare me off.

Regarding the EMP, maybe it's just my general lack of interest in what was being featured, but the whole thing seemed pretty scant and disappointing when I was there last fall. The sci-fi museum was more fun to look through even at about 1/3 the size.

The Olympic Sculpture park doesn't have a whole lot to see either, aside from some nice views of the waterfront. Still, it's a nice place for a walk in the morning or around dusk as long as the weather holds up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Janjay on N45th St has the best vegeterian Thai in the omniverse. And I HATE vegeterian "food."

When you go to SAM ,across the street is a fantastic sushi place called Japonessa. The food is amazing and they have a ridiculous happy hour that lasts almost all day. Very creative and unique rolls and dishes for 4-5 dollars. It has a great upscale feel and service as well.

Shorty's if my favorite dive. Scary clowns never get old.

Edit : Japonessa does have quite a number of vegetarian dishes as well

swoon

Cosmic Bus said:
Regarding the EMP, maybe it's just my general lack of interest in what was being featured, but the whole thing seemed pretty scant and disappointing when I was there last fall. The sci-fi museum was more fun to look through even at about 1/3 the size.

The Olympic Sculpture park doesn't have a whole lot to see either, aside from some nice views of the waterfront. Still, it's a nice place for a walk in the morning or around dusk as long as the weather holds up.

my wife is an architect and the building at the sculpture park is one of her favorites in the states. she has informed me that i'll be spending a lot of time with her sketching there. so it's good that it has a nice few of the water. this also explains the need to visit libraries and whatnot.

i got that same impression looking at the emp website. i think we are just going for sketching of buildings and whatnot.

swoon said:
my wife is an architect and the building at the sculpture park is one of her favorites in the states. she has informed me that i'll be spending a lot of time with her sketching there. so it's good that it has a nice few of the water. this also explains the need to visit libraries and whatnot.

i got that same impression looking at the emp website. i think we are just going for sketching of buildings and whatnot.

The sculpture park is just up the street from the Cyclops, and they have Georgetown Porter on tap.

Just sayin'.

dekjo

Great vegetarian/vegan Indian food at Travelers on Capital Hill. Love their food and I am definitely not a vegetarian.

Their chai is awesome too with a nice little kick (though would like it more with a pinch less sugar).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ex Seattle Gaf here.
All I wanna throw in is avoid Wild Ginger. I have a close friend who used to work there and it's a complete shitshow behind the scenes and the food is vastly overpriced for what it is.

Also avoid Lowells restaurant in Pike Place market. Worked there for a year and you really don't want to know how dirty it is. I have seen insects get flicked off of food right before it's brought up to a customer. Plus the part owner/GM is a massive prick who constantly showed he had no regard for customers.

Also, in my opinion the best part of Seattle is the surrounding area (nature wise, not city wise)

Herkimer in Greenwood and the U-District is my favorite coffee in the city.

Easy Street Records in Lower Queen Anne is a killer record store. I used to spend way too much time and money there when I lived within walking distance.

If the weather is nice, head over to my neighborhood and take a walk around Greenlake.

Beer bars? Latona Pub in Greenlake is great. It's my neighborhood bar, but their selection is fantastic and the menu is good. Stumbling Monk in Capitol Hill is good. Brouwers in Fremont can be douchey on the weekends, but their selection is incredible.

If you want to drink straight from the source, check out Georgetown Brewery in Georgetown, Fremont Brewery in Fremont, Hale's in Ballard, or Big Al's in White Center. Elysian has taphouses in Tangletown (near Greenlake) and Capitol Hill.

As for restaurants, The Five Spot as previously mentioned is a great spot. My wife and I went there on our first date and when we got engaged. We used to live right by it up on Queen Anne Hill, so we've got fond memories. Other good places are Frank's Oyster Bar and Champaigne House in the U-District, Feirabend in Eastlake, Joule in Fremont, How to Cook a Wolf on Queen Anne Hill, Steelhead Diner near the Market, and Smith and Quinn's in Capitol Hill. Samurai Noodle in the U-District and ID is probably the best ramen we have to offer. It's not as good as what you can get in Japan, but still delicious. Paseo has killer Cuban sandwiches, Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard has great Mexican, and La Isla in Ballard is good Puerto Rican.

The Egyptian in Capitol Hill does midnight movies every weekend. This week, they're showing The Goonies.

http://landmarktheatres.com/Market/Seattle/Seattle_Frameset.htm

The Grand Illusion in the U-District is showing Redeemer: Son of Satan Friday and Saturday at 11pm

http://www.grandillusioncinema.org/

siddx

I lived right behind the Feirabend for a while. Food is good but the service is awful.

Stinkles

distantmantra said:
Samurai Noodle in the U-District and ID is probably the best ramen we have to offer. It's not as good as what you can get in Japan, but still delicious.

I like Aloha Ramen on Greenwood better. Tiny, hardly any seating, but better, IMO than Samurai.

Do not by any means miss Dick's. Get a hamburger and a milkshake and STFU. And by God don't try to substitute or drop any of the items on the hamburger or you will be publicly humiliated. This is Dick's, after all, and they know how to be dicks.

Virginia Inn, up the hill from Pike's, good for a few beers. Some might call that place too Yuppie. Not for the dyed-in-the-wool hipster anyway.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/435025_pinball07.html Holy shit this photo is cracking me up. "My glasses scream urban individuality, irony and cheekiness!" "No, MY glasses do!"

Edit: Just noticed you're vegetarian, so never mind Dick's.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I like Aloha Ramen on Greenwood better. Tiny, hardly any seating, but better, IMO than Samurai.

I've been to Aloha a couple times and I liked the vibe, but their Tantamen Ramen had that really strong antiseptic taste that a lot of low quality sesame oils give off. Totally turned me off to them.

Pink gorilla games( import game store) and uwajimaya( asian store in seattle with a huge bookstore next to it) they are both close to the showbox SODO. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCsQnwIwAQ

also gameworks seattle :
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQnwIwAQ

Pike place market
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CDwQnwIwAQ

Top pot doughnuts:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...group&ct=image&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CAQQtgMwAQ

If you are to the EMP go to seattle center for snacks.

siddx

I still have my gameworks card. One of the last big arcades in the US, although I always found it mostly empty and the game selection is fairly repetitive.

Calculon

Neo Member
coldvein said:
dLMN8r or anybody: got any more good around seattle hiking suggestions? say within 45 minutes or so?

Annette Lake is a really nice hike, not as difficult as Si, but tougher than Tiger Mountain.

3668474405_52e0602214.jpg

distantmantra said:
Elysian has taphouses in Tangletown (near Greenlake) and Capitol Hill.

A couple of years ago I would have recommended the Elysian in a heartbeat, but ever since expanding to Elysian Fields, the prices have gone up and the quality has, if anything, gone down. I used to be a big fan, and the beer is definitely supposed to be wonderful, but now days I wouldn't recommend it.

As for the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum, TBH EMP can be kind of weak unless your a BIG Hendrix fan, that room is kind of awesome, otherwise, the rest can be skipped. However, if you've even had just a passing interest in science fiction, I can't recommend the Sci-Fi museum enough if you plan on making a stop. Yeah it may be pretty small, but some of the stuff in there is awesome.

Stinkles

DeuceMojo said:
Do not by any means miss Dick's. Get a hamburger and a milkshake and STFU. And by God don't try to substitute or drop any of the items on the hamburger or you will be publicly humiliated. This is Dick's, after all, and they know how to be dicks.

Virginia Inn, up the hill from Pike's, good for a few beers. Some might call that place too Yuppie. Not for the dyed-in-the-wool hipster anyway.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/435025_pinball07.html Holy shit this photo is cracking me up. "My glasses scream urban individuality, irony and cheekiness!" "No, MY glasses do!"

Edit: Just noticed you're vegetarian, so never mind Dick's.

I hope he likes eating greasy damp little burgers.

Concept17

sigh... damn this thread.

Been wanting to move back out to Seattle for a couple years now, but haven't been able to. *reaches hand out towards screen*

Top Bottom