• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Medicaid expansion might pick up a few people but I have a hard time seeing them remain United on this

Also I just saw Tillerson used Islamist terrorism like McMaster wanted

Vixdean

So it gets rid of Obamacare's subsidies, and replaces it with a potentially more expensive yet less effective entitlement. On an individual basis , those tax credits would barely cover employer sponsored health insurance premiums, let alone plans on the individual market. It also gets rid of every single regulation and cost control measure in the ACA, freeing insurance companies to offer crap coverage at exorbitant rates. The only way this works is if you somehow "subsidize" insurance companies to offer plans at reduced rates to fall in line with tax credit amounts. It's honestly just stupid enough to believe the GOP will end up doing just that, when the individual market crashes after millions can no longer afford insurance.

If that passes so long healthcare industry.

Also, I read somewhere that Ryan is trying to bait other republicans to vote against the bill.

How do premiums not skyrocket with the mandate gone?

They would if this passes.

This won't pass. Way too many "entitlements" for the hardliners. Though it probably gets the red states concerned about the Medicaid expansion on board.

What's funny is this garbage is probably the best they can come up with too.

Joeytj

Banned
The GOP plan is incredibly stupid. The only conceivable popular thing it will have, at least in the eye of some in the media and voters, is the elimination of the mandate, but that leads to higher premiums.

The CBO score on this is going to be a doozy.

If that passes so long healthcare industry.

Also, I read somewhere that Ryan is trying to bait other republicans to vote against the bill.
In favor of what? Ryan's the head of the inmates who realizes that there's no way to fix the ACA without becoming more left-wing, but he can't openly say that, so we've got the Fellowship of the Bill running around Washington trying to find the invisible Health Care Bill that won't fuck over everything.

They vote against this and there's literally no replacement Bill that could even make sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Further confirmation that Paul Ryan is a vapid, Ayn Randian douchebag who couldn't create good legislation if he tried.

That would be an interesting political game if House republicans weren't insane. The bill allows republicans to argue millions won't be kicked off Medicaid, which is essential to any plan working with the public. However that's going to be a nonstarter for the right wing. And the aged based tax credits are basically a (worse) republican spin on Obamacare's subsidies, which again will run into opposition with republicans.

This isn't going to pass the House. I could see nearly every republican senator voting for this though, except Cruz and Lee.

jtb

Banned
The GOP's "replacement" for the mandate is so perverse and cruel. It's somehow both morally appalling and fucking stupid.

Further confirmation that Paul Ryan is a vapid, Ayn Randian douchebag who couldn't create good legislation if he tried.

Music to Halperin's ears.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That would be an interesting political game if House republicans weren't insane. The bill allows republicans to argue millions won't be kicked off Medicaid, which is essential to any plan working with the public. However that's going to be a nonstarter for the right wing. And the aged based tax credits are basically a (worse) republican spin on Obamacare's subsidies, which again will run into opposition with republicans.

This isn't going to pass the House. I could see nearly every republican senator voting for this though, except Cruz and Lee.

It will pass the House. It won't get past the Senate, and if it does, we're all screwed.

Tommy DJ

Seriously, how the hell is this guy respected? He's so trash at writing nasty legislation that the attack ads actually write themselves.

In favor of what? Ryan's the head of the inmates who realizes that there's no way to fix the ACA without becoming more left-wing, but he can't openly say that, so we've got the Fellowship of the Bill running around Washington trying to find the invisible Health Care Bill that won't fuck over everything.

They vote against this and there's literally no replacement Bill that could even make sense.

They are hoping that Republicans won't vote against it, including the Freedom Caucus.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/politics/obamacare-repeal-house-republican-leadership/

Republican leaders want members of their party to advance their plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, but the time may be coming for them to put their bill out and dare their rank-and-file to vote no.

It will pass the House. It won't get past the Senate, and if it does, we're all screwed.

I don't see it. Freedom Caucus wants a complete Obamacare repeal, not Obamacare-Lite. Nor is Ryan capable of threatening/cajoling/wooing/etc members to vote against their interests, like Pelosi or any other good Speaker could.

I don't see it. Freedom Caucus wants a complete Obamacare repeal, not Obamacare-Lite. Nor is Ryan capable of threatening/cajoling/wooing/etc members to vote against their interests, like Pelosi or any other good Speaker could.

Rand Paul had already called it obamacare-lite. I don't think it could make it through either. Everyone is now remembering how awful things were for the republicans in late 2015 with Boehner leaving

Plinko

If the Freedom Caucus goes along with it then I'd start getting worried.

AARP is going to be activating the Senior Signal once they realize this bill allows insurance companies to now charge seniors 5 times what they charge young people.

sangreal

I got some fancy advertisement in the mail today which wouldn't be that unusual except that it was an "invitation" to Trump's inauguration in January and it's the middle of March. wtf

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/838869576968507392/photo/1
C6RDWYBVAAAwWCI.jpg

It basically kills off Medicare in like 5 years. It also lets companies charge the elderly several times more than they pay now.

It's not a matter of hoping. They're probably revving the engines as we speak.
Are you confusing Medicare with Medicaid? I see that the cap for spending on older people will be raised, which would obviously be bad for retired people, but I'm not seeing any changes to Medicare.

Dave Weigel‏ @daveweigel 9 minutes ago
Rep. Jim Jordan of Freedom Caucus trashes bill: "It's subsidies for unaffordable health care, subsidies for unaffordable premiums."

lol this won't even pass the House

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I like this part:

Getting around Reince calling you off-the-record by quoting unnamed source saying he was making off-the-record calls!
Amazing. Is it unethical to name a person who talked off the record if you get another unnamed source to implicate them? Or do you have to be one of the lucky reporters Preibus didn't call?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom