• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Metalmarc

Was same way in SE and on for that scene. And if you watch the trailers there are multiple instances of SE shots.
Off the top of my head in the digital release trailer I noticed:
CGI version of Falcon leaving Mos Eisely
CGI X-Wings flying toward Death Star
CGI Yoda in Phantom Menace.

So it is damn :/

Zombine

Banned
I "get" CGI Yoda. I don't think it looks a damn thing like the puppet from the OT, but I admit that the Yoda light saber battle with Dooku wouldn't have happened with a puppet.

If they did do that fight with a puppet, it would probably look like this:

team-america-fight-o.gif

Zombine

Banned
There was no chance they would get rid of the BR cuts and release the theatrical cuts as the official release. That was never going to happen.

I wouldn't say that so confidently. There is a pretty good chance that in the next 5 years or so we will have an entirely different cut of the film as the standard. Are the Blu Ray cuts the de facto release right now? Absolutely. But I assure you that the moment Fox and Disney work out a deal we will get something else entirely. Will some of the blunders stand? Of course. But I doubt these Blu Ray cuts are the final release. They just happen to be the current standard, which is why nobody should be shocked that they are the current digital release. So I do agree with you to an extent.

We are going to see one final go at it though.

Cheebo

Banned
I wouldn't say that so confidently though. There is a pretty good chance that in the next 5 years or so we will have an entirely different cut of the film as the standard. Are the Blu Ray cuts the de facto release right now? Absolutely. But I assure you that the moment Fox and Disney work out a deal we will get something else entirely. Will some of the blunders stand? Of course. But I doubt these Blu Ray cuts are the final release.
Disney and Fox did work out a deal for everything sans A New Hope. Notice the "Disney Movies Anywhere" banner on the other 5 films. Could there be more changes? of course but they are not going to purposely go against George Lucas's intentions and revert back to the theatrical cut. Lucas himself still maintains final cut on all 6 of his films I have read. Even post-Disney sale.

Zombine

Banned
Disney and Fox did work out a deal for everything sans A New Hope. Notice the "Disney Movies Anywhere" banner on the other 5 films. Could there be more changes? of course but they are not going to purposely go against George Lucas's intentions and revert back to the theatrical cut. Lucas himself still maintains final cut on all 6 of his films I have read. Even post-Disney sale.

Yeah. My argument is less about the OG cuts, and more in regards to a cut which preserves the Special Edition cuts a bit better. I can see them replacing some of the old CG with newer models and things of that nature. Possibly even making the "Han shoots second" scene look slightly less jarring than it does now. The rocks are staying, but I expect the vanishing rocks to be fixed.

Disney Movies Anywhere sucks. I hope we get a physical release - I would buy them again for the bunch of new featurettes they added and the deleted scenes/documentaries that were on the DVD releases but not on the Blu-Rays, like The Beginning.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
It's interesting. Episodes 1-3 and 5-6 have 2015 Lucasfilm copyright notices on their Vudu trailers but 4 has a 2015 Fox copyright notice.

Vi9T99e.jpg

It is also the only one with a Fox title card.

On every release since the late '90s Episode 4 has had a Lucasfilm copyright. Every release before then had a Fox copyright.

I wonder what has been going on behind the scenes.

It's interesting. Episodes 1-3 and 5-6 have 2015 Lucasfilm copyright notices on their Vudu trailers but 4 has a 2015 Fox copyright notice.

Vi9T99e.jpg

It is also the only one with a Fox title card.

On every release since the late '90s Episode 4 has had a Lucasfilm copyright. Every release before then had a Fox copyright.

I wonder what has been going on behind the scenes.

Fox owns A New Hope forever.

I don't see a link on Vudu for the trailers, where are they?

Dpp1978

Neo Member
Fox owns A New Hope forever.

Copyright to a work of art is, at least in theory, superior to all other intellectual property rights (trademark aside, which is an entirely separate beast).

Fox hold the distribution rights but they are derived from the copyright to the film. Between the late '90 and, going but this, recently the copyright was held by Lucasfilm and all releases in that time had an LFL copyright notice. Does this mean it has reverted to Fox?

I don't know the answer but...

Interesting times.

Trailers are here:

http ://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/656496/Star-Wars-Episodes-1-6-Bundle-plus-bonus-features

You have to copy/paste and remove the space after "http" as it doesn't seem to work as a clickable link.

MattyG

Banned
Just read the first chapter of Tarkin and I'm really enjoying it. I love the way it humanizes him beyond what we see in the movies. It's definitely going to make rewatching scenes with him more interesting in the future.

BFIB

Just read the first chapter of Tarkin and I'm really enjoying it. I love the way it humanizes him beyond what we see in the movies. It's definitely going to make rewatching scenes with him more interesting in the future.
Think I might pick this up after I finish the Thrawn Trilogy.

I agree with this, especially after finishing the entire book.

It's just extremely puzzling to me why the 2nd canon book is based on and around a guy who had ~15 minutes of screen time in one movie and all of about 5 seconds in another.

Just a strange decision. He's never really been a huge fan favorite.

I haven't watched any of Rebels yet. Am I going to not understand what's going on at all, or does it not matter?

You don't need to know anything about Rebels to understand it. It takes place during Order 66 and its immediate aftermath, around 15 years before any of the events of the show.

Rootbeer

Banned
I haven't watched any of Rebels yet. Am I going to not understand what's going on at all, or does it not matter?

You don't need to know anything about Rebels to understand it. It takes place during Order 66 and its immediate aftermath, around 15 years before any of the events of the show.

Agree with Doublesith but if you haven't watched Rebels yet and enjoy #1 then you need to watch Rebels. I enjoy it.

So I read the first issue of Kanan The Last Padawan and I already like it better than most of the Rebels series so far.
Kanan actually has some personality, characters are already progressing, and the ending makes it clear what direction the series is going.

On the Vader series so far: His personality seems kind of strange in this. I love Vader so it is still entertaining, but it just feels weird. It's amusing that the artist just keeps copying photos of Sideshow Vader and Hot Toys Vader. I guess the helmet is hard to draw.

As for the mainline series, I'm sort of neutral on it. It's neat but I'm not dying to find out what's next.

I'm gunna try and start reading that Tarkin book soon because I hear good things.

Meowster

I'm feeling a Star Wars marathon tonight. I wanted to go pick up Heir to the Jedi but it is just so expensive right now at 28 dollars at Barnes and Noble. Will have to wait awhile and pick it up. How did all of you like it?

Zombine

Banned
I'm feeling a Star Wars marathon tonight. I wanted to go pick up Heir to the Jedi but it is just so expensive right now at 28 dollars at Barnes and Noble. Will have to wait awhile and pick it up. How did all of you like it?

It's only $18 on Amazon. The reviews seem luke-warm at best.

JDHarbs

I know they were already leaked, but was that supposed to be the first official Star Wars digital trailer during the National Championship?

I know they were already leaked, but was that supposed to be the first official Star Wars digital trailer during the National Championship?

Yup. Here:

Here's the trailer for the digital release (YT).

Full Press Release:

As anticipation builds for the December release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the first new film in the Star Wars Saga in a decade, The Walt Disney Studios, Lucasfilm Ltd., and 20th Century Fox today announced the upcoming release of The Star Wars Digital Movie Collection. For the first time ever, all six epic films in the Saga, from The Phantom Menace to Return of the Jedi, will be available on Digital HD throughout the galaxy – or at least here on Earth – globally beginning Friday, April 10.

"Since the debut of the first film nearly 40 years ago, Star Wars has become a worldwide phenomenon with legions of fans from every generation,” said Alan Bergman, President, The Walt Disney Studios. “It’s only fitting that audiences enjoy this legendary Saga and its many fascinating behind-the-scenes stories on a wide variety of platforms, and we’re very excited to finally bring all six films to Digital HD for the first time.”

“We’re thrilled that fans will be able to enjoy the Star Wars Saga on their digital devices wherever they go,” commented Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. “These films broke new ground in technology, design, sound, and visual effects, and we’ve created some very special bonus material which delves into the Saga’s rich history, including new and never-before-released conversations between legendary Star Wars artists – the masters who helped George bring his iconic universe to life.”

With Star Wars: Episodes I-VI available for purchase as a complete digital movie collection and individually, viewers will have the Rebel forces at their beck and call across their favorite devices anywhere – sunbathing at the beach, relaxing in their living room with friends, or waiting to board a flight to Endor (or elsewhere).

Enhancing the movie collection are a host of never-before-seen special features including Star Wars: Discoveries from Inside and insightful Conversations between key contributors from across this celebrated film franchise, plus a curated collection of classic Star Wars extras from each film. These are the droids you’re looking for:

BONUS
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer
STAR WARS EPISODE I: The Phantom Menace
• Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back
• Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures
• Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit; plus eight deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE II: Attack of the Clones
• Conversations: Sounds In Space
• Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed
• Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE III: Revenge of the Sith
• Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was
• Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers
• Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A New Hope (20th Century Fox)
• Conversations: Creating A Universe
• Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
• Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back
• Conversations: The Lost Interviews
• Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled
• Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back 1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE VI: Return of the Jedi
• Conversations: The Effects
• Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt
• Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Vader #4, another excellent issue! Great to see what has happened to
Genosis
in the wake of the Empire's rise. One hell of a hook in that cliffhanger too... wow.
Could we be meeting another darkside force user soon?

Genosis
in the wake of the Empire's rise. One hell of a hook in that cliffhanger too... wow.

Must not read. Don't get my copy til tomorrow.

ghostmind

Genosis

Yeah, Vader is secretly the best book in the new Marvel Star Wars line. Loving this series!

Meowster

http://www.starwars.com/this-is-madness

The results of this were too weird this year. Jar-Jar Binks beating Padme? I realize Padme is kind of a weak character but that is just disastrous lol. I still thought it was cool that Ahsoka beat Luke in the preliminaries, even though Luke is probably my favorite Star Wars character. Hopefully this new trilogy introduces even more good & strong female characters.

http://www.starwars.com/this-is-madness

The results of this were too weird this year. Jar-Jar Binks beating Padme? I realize Padme is kind of a weak character but that is just disastrous lol. I still thought it was cool that Ahsoka beat Luke in the preliminaries, even though Luke is probably my favorite Star Wars character. Hopefully this new trilogy introduces even more good & strong female characters.

Loads of 4Chan members tried to make it a Jar Jar vs Bib Fortuna final to piss people off.
In other words, they're sad.

Tapejara

Hmm, based on the impressions in this thread I might give Tarkin another shot. Wasn't impressed with the first few chapters.

Already debunked:
UPDATE: Well gang, I got spoofed again. It looks like Greedo still shoots first in A New Hope, as confirmed by Garth Franklin of Dark Horizons who lives in Australia and thus in tomorrow. This is a bummer. I had a source confirm to me that there are tweaks, but I guess this isn't one of them! My apologies for any undue hope I caused.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/09/the-digital-edition-of-star-wars-could-make-a-major-change/

In other news, another "lost" TCW arc will air at Celebration as a story reel:
StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that a previously unreleased four-episode story reel, “Bad Batch,” telling the story of how Captain Rex and company rescued Echo, will screen exclusively at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim. The unfinished episodes (similar to the Utapau arc that appeared on StarWars.com) feature complete, final voice performances, specifically by Dee Bradley Baker, who voices the elite clones of “Bad Batch” group.

https://admin.starwarsblog.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-bad-batch-4-episode-arc-coming-to-star-wars-celebration

Cheebo

Banned
It's been nearly 20 years. The SE is here to stay.

Also I REALLY hope that bad batch arc gets posted online after. I have watched every episode of clone wars multiple times. It would be beyond devastating to miss out on 4 episodes purely because I can't go to Celebration.

Meowster

Loads of 4Chan members tried to make it a Jar Jar vs Bib Fortuna final to piss people off.
In other words, they're sad.
Lol, no lying, that would be kinda hysterical. I was hoping Han Solo pulled through over Obi-wan (they were tied AFAIK) and would eventually win. I'm happy with Darth Vader though. He is films most iconic villain for good reason.

curb

Banned
I love his quadruple chin.

Hey, what Clone Wars episode was the Aurra Sing one? I want to re-watch it tonight.

Which one? Where she's coaching Boba or she's trying to kill Padme?

I was curious too so looked it up. Season 2, episodes 20-22 and Season 3, episode 7.

Top Bottom